PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Centaur Hurler

Blackjackg
2009-07-21, 03:22 PM
I've been trying to figure out a build, and could use some advice. The idea is a centaur character whose melee choice is grappling and ranged choice is throwing large objects. Two basic requirements:

1. Character is a centaur (4 HD, +2 LA, Large size).
2. Character has the Fling Enemy feat from Races of Stone.

Most anything else is gravy. A few of the ideas I've been tossing around include Hulking Hurler (CWar), War Hulk (Mini) and unarmed Swordsage or Warblade (Bo9S). I just haven't been able to come up with anything I really like.

Any thoughts? For the sake of this request, assume a 20-lvl build, any 3.5 sources available. Thanks very much.

Woodsman
2009-07-21, 03:35 PM
Swordsage with a focus on Setting Sun would work beautifully, I should think.

Random832
2009-07-21, 04:07 PM
Fastball SpecialFling Ally.

Darrin
2009-07-21, 04:34 PM
Two basic requirements:
1. Character is a centaur (4 HD, +2 LA, Large size).
2. Character has the Fling Enemy feat from Races of Stone.

Fling Enemy is a lousy feat. It restricts you to a standard action, so no multiple attacks, and the distance you can throw depends on a grapple check.

A one-level dip into Hulking Hurler gives you (almost) everything you need to hurl your opponents. With "Really Throw Anything", all you have to do is grab/grapple them, and if their weight is under your light load, you can toss them wherever you want as an improvised weapon. The two-handed throwing tricks are also kind of nice, but most require a full-round action for a single attack.

The (almost) part would be either Improved Grapple to avoid the AoO, or Improved Grab so that you aren't wasting an attack on a grapple check. Improved Grab can be picked up a few ways, but the easiest is Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian (CChamp) or Scaled Horror (SavSpec). The Scaled Horror version is better, because unlike standard Improved Grab, which can only be used on opponents smaller than you, Scaled Horror's Improved Grab can be used on opponents up to your same size.

The tricky part is Scaled Horror requires an aquatic or amphibious subtype, but fortunately the Centaur is a monstrous humanoid and can take the Amphibious template from Stormwrack. No LA to worry about, just -2 Dex for your trouble, and no more drowning worries either.

You can also pick up the equivalent of Improved Grab via feats by taking Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, and then Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm). If you're going this route, then consider Battle Dancer (Dragon Compendium), Fist of the Forest (CChamp), or the City Brawler Barbarian Variant (which you can stack with a Spirit Totem if need be) from Dragon #349. This gives you Improved Unarmed Strike without losing more BAB to monk levels.

Most anything else is gravy. A few of the ideas I've been tossing around include Hulking Hurler (CWar), War Hulk (Mini) and unarmed Swordsage or Warblade (Bo9S). I just haven't been able to come up with anything I really like.

Any thoughts? For the sake of this request, assume a 20-lvl build, any 3.5 sources available. Thanks very much.

Add one level of Warblade, two levels of Bloodstorm Blade, and six levels of Dungeon Crasher. Now you can pick up one opponent, throw him at another opponent, Power Attack + Bull Rush + Shock Trooper to bull rush your target into a wall/object/ally/etc. for an additional +6d8 damage.

Take a look at my King of Pong build for a similar idea:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5897646

Totally Guy
2009-07-21, 04:35 PM
Oh, a centaur that hurls things.

Not a dude that hurls centaurs.:smallamused:

Edit: Or maybe both!:smalleek:

hamishspence
2009-07-21, 04:41 PM
The tricky part is Scaled Horror requires an aquatic or amphibious subtype, but fortunately the Centaur is a monstrous humanoid and can take the Amphibious template from Stormwrack. No LA to worry about, just -2 Dex for your trouble, and no more drowning worries either.

Should an amphibious centaur look like, from the waist down, a seahorse? :smallamused:

Blackjackg
2009-07-21, 05:02 PM
Should an amphibious centaur look like, from the waist down, a seahorse? :smallamused:

Hippocampus.
http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/march09/hippo1.gif

Thanks for the advice. Setting Sun style certainly seems appropriate, what with all their throws. I'm a little put off by the fact that they're all resolved as trips, which (IIRC) doesn't take advantage of the Centaur's superior size. Thanks for the tip on Improved Grab, too. Will almost certainly take at least one level of Bear-totem Barbarian.

Fhaolan
2009-07-21, 05:20 PM

Nukelavee! Oh Nukelavee
You're big and evil and heinous

Woodsman
2009-07-21, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. Setting Sun style certainly seems appropriate, what with all their throws. I'm a little put off by the fact that they're all resolved as trips, which (IIRC) doesn't take advantage of the Centaur's superior size.

Except, y'know, when they try to trip you back your four legs help.

Draz74
2009-07-21, 06:11 PM
I'm a little put off by the fact that they're all resolved as trips, which (IIRC) doesn't take advantage of the Centaur's superior size.

Yes it does. Trip checks use size modifiers just as thoroughly as grapple/bull rush/what have you.

Quietus
2009-07-21, 06:18 PM
Yes it does. Trip checks use size modifiers just as thoroughly as grapple/bull rush/what have you.

AND, as noted above, you get Stability from four legs as well. So +4 offensively, +8 defensively. Not too shabby.

Raistlin1040
2009-07-21, 06:20 PM
And here I was coming into this thread expecting a moster that hurls Centaurs.

kpenguin
2009-07-21, 06:21 PM
*raises hand*

Another guy who thought this was a thread about hurling centaurs at people.

Blackjackg
2009-07-21, 06:22 PM
Well, I think my original question has been adequately answered. Shall we turn this into a thread homebrewing some sort of centaurpult? Or One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple Centaur Hurlers?

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-21, 06:24 PM
I feel the "Centaur Cannon" is far better served by firing centaurs than just being a centaur.