PDA

View Full Version : New arcane spell.. is it balanced?

Yuki Akuma
2005-08-01, 12:46 PM
I based this off of the Druid spell Awaken. It's mainly for my item creation-centered Wizard(ess), who's obsessed with creating Effigies that can talk with her...

Awaken Construct
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 24 hours
Range: Touch
Target: Construct touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
On completing the spell, you awaken the touched construct to humanoid-like sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the construct's HD).
The awkwened construct is friendly to you. Any bond that it had with its creator is broken, although it may decide to serve its creator willingly. A construct with a link to a specific magical item (such as a Shield Guardian) keeps this link and can use all powers derived from it.
The construct gains 3d6+2 Intelligence and +2d6 Charisma. It can speak any one language you know, plus one additional language you know per Intelligence modifier (if any).
Material Component: An infusion of clay, wood, or metal with special arcane ingredients, costing 500 gp, with which the construct to be awakened is anointed with.
XP Cost: 400 XP.

So... Comments? Suggestions? Insults?

Nasrudith
2005-08-01, 02:01 PM
I hate to break it to you but there is already a spell for awakening constructs in Savage Speciesese.

Yuki Akuma
2005-08-01, 02:12 PM
Which I obviously have no access to, making your post rather pointless.

Nimblegrund
2005-08-01, 03:02 PM
Except that now you know it exists... yikes.

Everyman
2005-08-01, 03:26 PM
Hey now. No flaming. Play nice.

At any rate, I like the spell, though I would believe such a power (the power to grant life to constructs) would either A) be more like a 9th level spell with a massive EXP cost or B) be an extremely complex ritual. I favor option B, as that explains the creation of the Warforged (standard race in Eberron).

Oh, and I didn't know about the spell in SS, either. I don't own the book, so I wouldn't posted this too. ;)

Dragonmuncher
2005-08-01, 10:24 PM
Does anyone have a summary of what this SS spell is? Not a verbatim quote, but does it essentially do what Yuki's spell does? Does it have an XP or material component?

Wren
2005-08-01, 10:40 PM
Which I obviously have no access to, making your post rather pointless.

You did ask for insults.

Spuddly
2005-08-02, 04:27 AM
Casting Time: 24 hours
That's a long casting time. Would there be concentration checks for fatigue?

Duration: Instantaneous
So it lasts for a very short while?

Are you sure you haven't got these mixed up, or is the duration permanent?

Adghar
2005-08-02, 04:42 AM
Most of his spell is based on the official Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) spell.

Awaken makes no note of Concentration checks, which confuses me too.

Awaken has a duration of Instantaneous, which makes sense. It's not like you're casting a buff on a construct, you're Awakening it into a creature. This "creaturedom" is permanent, while the transformation (which is the spell's effect) is instantaneous.

Both Awaken spells don't grant any Wisdom scores, which rather confuses me. ??? The entire point of the spell is to Awaken a non-"sentient" being, which should be focused on Wisdom, which I believe makes a being "sentient".

Good job on the insults though. Rather witty.

Yuki Akuma
2005-08-02, 06:30 AM
Most constructs already have a pretty good Wisdom score; at least, they have an average one. Whereas their Charisma score are almost always 1, and their Intelligence is non-existent.

And the official Awaken doesn't grant a Wisdom score, as most animals have better Wisdom scores than your average humanoid. Hence why being a Lycanthrope gives you +2 Wisdom.

So, I thought it might be best to leave their Wisdom as-is. But that's just me.

Nimblegrund
2005-08-02, 10:33 AM
Awaken Construct is a 9th level Cleric/Wizard spell, 8 hour casting time, is instantaneous. The components are pretty harsh; a brain of a humanoid dead less than 8 hours, and 5000 xp.

The_Midget_Stikes
2005-08-03, 03:25 AM
Yes, a spell like this exists in Savage Species, I would agre with all thee points in common, and say this spell in broken, in cases of giving it mental scores for such a low-level spell.

If you think about it, you could use it to infiltrate the enemy base, leave it like a statue, let it come out (by smashing a hole in the wall) and report to you about the base.

Ayana
2005-08-03, 04:03 AM
Creatures (including constructs, undead, etc, even Animated Objects) always have Wis and Cha scores. Something that doesn't have those two is an inanimate object.

Yuki Akuma
2005-08-03, 06:32 AM
Creatures (including constructs, undead, etc, even Animated Objects) always have Wis and Cha scores. Something that doesn't have those two is an inanimate object.

...Your point being?