PDA

View Full Version : What Are the Chances of V Getting Back With Kyrie?

Nights1stStar
2009-07-21, 05:26 PM
In comic#642 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0642.html), I honestly don't think Vaarsuvius leaves Inkyrius because V loves power more than V loves his/her family. V's exact explanation is "I'm sorry...I still need to fix everything". And in V's mind, s/he does. As far as V knows then, Durkon, Elan, and the paladin fleet are stranded in the middle of nowhere, and Haley's stuck in the new Hobgoblin City with a psychotic halfling and their leader's corpse. V's spent the past few months guilt-wracked about not having enough power to save Haley. After finally gaining the power, it was highly unlikely that V'd give up the Soul Splice without at least trying to contact her. Giving up the Splice and getting stuck without teleportation spells in the elven lands only would've made it harder to do so.

Was it entirely altruism? No, otherwise V would've been nicer to Kazumi and Daigo before teleporting the fleet. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html) But as V says in #626 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0626.html), "I shall conquer this minor setback with my own diligence! I am no fledgling human aristocrat, ready to risk damnation for fleeting dominance in this mortal coil! It would take a great deal more than a handful of misplaced acquintances before I would consider allying myself with the forces of darkness." If there'd been no rogues to rescue or liches to slay, V might very well have given up the Splice as soon as s/he killed the dragon. Vaarsuvius didn't leave his/her because s/he didn't love them enough. In fact, Vaarsuvius takes the Soul Splice in the first place because s/he loves them more than enough.

But assuming that V still loves Kyrie, what do you think are the chances of them getting back together? It's sad that Inkyrius didn't give V a chance to fully explain what s/he had to do, but Kyrie's sitting in an elven forest with a burning house and V's leagues away on an island with a quest to still fulfill. Would V have time to attempt a reconciliation in the near future? Or would V feel too guilty to try?

(Yeah, my posts tend to be as long as V's speeches. But there's a reason Vaarsuvius is my favorite character, ya know. :smallcool: )

Zanaril
2009-07-21, 05:54 PM
I think the issue of V's relationship is definitely going to be adressed, but I have no idea how it will turn out in the long run. While it would be nice to see the majority of the the main characters get happy endings, it's equally possible that at least on of them has some seriously bad karma that's going to come back and bite them, and after Belkar, V's the most likely candidate.

We haven't really seen enough of their relationship in less stressful situations; their marrage seemed happy enough, even with V's extended absence (I know it wouldn't seem as long since they're elves, but it's still the equivalent of about a year without having seen each other). It's unknown whether V has been contacting Inky during this time. We can make a reasonable assumption that V's obsession with magic has always been a sore point, and will certainly have to be delt with if V has any hope of reviving their relationship.

Possibly, with the luxuary of being able to take the time to talk things over without it costing soul time, then could make it work out. Either way, I won't be surprised if the Order's jorney takes they through Ivyleaf some time in the future.

Thankfully(?) we're probably past the risk of my avatar becomming canon.

armourer eric
2009-07-21, 06:01 PM
I think 2 people from this board should call up Dr. Laura, pretending to be V and Kyrie and present the problem in first person :)

Eric

Kish
2009-07-21, 06:06 PM
Any response I could make to that would necessarily be a statement about real-world politics.

Babale
2009-07-21, 06:14 PM
I think 2 people from this board should call up Dr. Laura, pretending to be V and Kyrie and present the problem in first person :)

Eric

HELL YEAH!

Only one problem: Who'd present itself as male and who as female?

Silakka
2009-07-21, 06:14 PM
The thing is, V finally got the power he always craved for, perhaps even more than he ever wanted his mate, or so Inkyrius claimed. I'm not really sure if he was that guilt-wrecked about Haley in the first place, for me it seemed like he's more frustrated about his power not being enough. After all, the IFCC gave him a decent alternative to save his family without lending his soul and he still decided to take the deal. "For the wrong reasons", as in he really took the deal because he was too proud not to solve it all by himself.

(EDIT: and yeah, I know the alternative was a little more farfetched and had some major possibilities to go wrong. But I don't know if V really had any more reasons to trust in the IFCC's offer than he had to trust in the alternative plan to work.)

Of course giving up the power in comic #642 would've been pretty selfish, since for all V knew, the rest of the party was scattered and might be in dire need of assistance. In V's state of mind, he was so ultra-powerful he could've "fixed everything" in mere minutes and return to Inkyrius afterwards. He was so blinded about his power, he never took the time to buff himself some more (Negative energy protection anyone?) before teleporting to Xykon. The possibility Xykon might literally crush him never crossed his mind. Of course he had the power to win the day, just by summoning an army of everything he could think of, buffing them all and epic teleporting everyone in. He just thought he was so above everything in power he wouldn't need to do anything but scry and die.

Sidetracked here...but what I meant to say, is that V leaving Kyrie was the best solution in all aspects really. His clock was ticking, he thought it all would be a piece of cake, and he'd be back in mere minutes. His hasty leave was pretty much the same reason he was so mean to Daigo and Kazumi, they were largely irrelevant (as he actually said to Celia later on). He was more indebted every second, felt torn apart after his chat with Kyrie, wanted to solve everything and the two named soldiers really had nothing to do with anything (except for the info regarding Durkon and Elan's whereabouts).

The recent character developement is interesting though, perhaps V will finally realize some things about himself. Mostly about his obsession for arcane power. And yeah, it's been more like an obsession for the past 150-ish strips than just a desire. I really wish we will see more of their relationship in the future.

And yes, V is my favourite character as well. And I think it has something to do with me being particularly verbose as well. :smallwink: I'll try to be less of that in the future...swift like the owl!

Zanaril
2009-07-21, 06:19 PM
HELL YEAH!

Get someone female to pretend to be male and someone male to pretend to be female.

Thanatosia
2009-07-21, 06:28 PM
What if Laura pushes the issue of who is wich gender?

Zanaril
2009-07-21, 06:32 PM
What if Laura pushes the issue of who is wich gender?

...I am afraid I do not fully comprehend your enquiry, could I perhaps request a repetition of your question?

Thrax
2009-07-21, 06:40 PM
HELL YEAH!

Considering that V is slacking around with his pals God one knows where and Kyrie is home, cooking and raising children (yeah, awful stereotypes), V most likely fulfils a husband role in this relationship, and Kyrie a wife role, forget their real genders.

Lyth
2009-07-21, 07:00 PM
The Giant basically just left a giant loose end with Kyrie, so I'm sure we'll be seeing her and the kids again. How we see her is an entirely different matter. I have a feeling that, due to dramatic story-telling elements, there's a few ways this works out.

1. V and Co. return to the elven lands at some point during the adventure - diplomatic mission, we need the help of the elven armies, the great plot hook of side quest starts here...something. Inevitably, V goes to see Kyrie, and either V explains the whole mess and gets forgiven, or V explains the whole mess and Kyrie doesn't care, and decides to leave V. Based on what I know of elven courtship, I think Kyrie's more likely to forgive V then not, possibly with the help of the rest of the Order (Elan strikes me as the type to give Kyrie a lecture on True Love...)

2. #1...only far more spread out. Instead of it being a simple side quest, it turns into an entire subplot, along the lines of....okay, so I can't find a good trope. But you get the idea...V goes back to elven lands, Kyrie refuses, V walks away, dejected....Kyrie eventually realizes the mistake he/she made, gets in contact with V, V refuses out of spite...etc, etc, til the Happy EndingTM some point around the end of the story. Throw in the IFCC and their "time to spare" for more fun with this.

3. V dies (or gets unmade, as a popular suggestion goes), completely unredeemed, and only after does Kyrie learn the truth, most likely from the rest of the Order. There are approximately half a dozen possibilities involving what Kyrie will do upon learning this information, though I particularly favor Kyrie taking a level in badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TookALevelInBadass). (ha, found one ^^)

4. Rich does something with Kyrie and V that no one - even the most extreme posters of the forum - will ever, ever see coming.

Disclaimer: All of the above is personal speculation.

Yiuel
2009-07-21, 09:41 PM
...I am afraid I do not fully comprehend your enquiry, could I perhaps request a repetition of your question?

That was so funny!

Well, on this thread's subject, all speculations are possible. While I do understand Suvie's purpose, I can only agree with Kyrie's position. But my guess would be that, ultimately, they will come to an understanding and finally get closer, but I would suppose the IFCC will use Suvie before they can come back together.

kraazivaan
2009-07-21, 10:12 PM
I think that is mainly up to Kyrie. We haven't gotten much to go on in terms of how forgiving K is likely to be, although K obviously cares for V, or else K would not have reacted so strongly to learning what V had done.

I also think we have been given a hint as to V's mindset. The moment V was out of combat and unparalyzed, V's first action was to adopt a hairstyle similar / identical to K's. I personally think V did this as a reminder, so as to avoid forgetting what is important.

So I think both of them want to get back together, but there are obviously a lot of things which must happen first, and it is not certain to occur.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-21, 10:32 PM
I think 2 people from this board should call up Dr. Laura, pretending to be V and Kyrie and present the problem in first person

Hi, Thanks for taking my call. My signifigant other left me to persue their career full time, leaving me with the kids. At first we were very supportive of their decision but lately my mate sold their soul to demons...

Dr laura: You mean they became partners in a law firm?

Kirie: No no no, LITERAL demons, from the ventral dimensions?

Dr Laura Oh PHEW, you had me worried there for a moment...

David Argall
2009-07-22, 12:36 AM
I think 2 people from this board should call up Dr. Laura, pretending to be V and Kyrie and present the problem in first person
That might, or might not, give us ideas on what should be done, but we are interested here in what will be done. That is a lot of guesswork.
I'll bet on being forgiven, about at the end of the comic. Kyrie will not be seen much if at all before then, unless we spend two books on the next gate. Right now we already have plenty of material for the upcoming book and a scene where V is forgiven or rejected is too much space. So if we are talking one book it is not going to happen. [Of course the last gate took about 2 1/2 books, so it's not impossible, but...]

petersohn
2009-07-22, 06:57 AM
3. V dies (or gets unmade, as a popular suggestion goes), completely unredeemed, and only after does Kyrie learn the truth, most likely from the rest of the Order. There are approximately half a dozen possibilities involving what Kyrie will do upon learning this information, though I particularly favor Kyrie taking a level in badass (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TookALevelInBadass). (ha, found one ^^)
You made me make up the following conversation:

The fiends take over V at Girard's gate, but the gate is destroyed, V is sucked in by the snarl. Xykon escaped. The OOTS is camping peacefully somewhere in the forest. Suddenly, Kyrie appears.
K: Excuse me. Are you the Order of the Stick?
:roy:: That depends. Who are you?
K: My name is Inkyrius and I am looking for my mate Vaarsuvius.
:elan:: *shocked* V was married??
:durkon:: Ye dinnae know tha'?
:haley:: *shocked* You knew that?
:roy:: I'm sorry, but I have to tell you that... err...
:belkar:: V is dead. As a doornail. *grins*
K: What did you say?
:roy:: *frowns* Belkar!
:roy:: Yes, it's true. Vaarsuvius has fallen heroically in a battle to save the world.

You continue from here.

sam79
2009-07-22, 07:24 AM
Hi, Thanks for taking my call. My signifigant other left me to persue their career full time, leaving me with the kids. At first we were very supportive of their decision but lately my mate sold their soul to demons...

Dr laura: You mean they became partners in a law firm?

Kirie: No no no, LITERAL demons, from the ventral dimensions?

Dr Laura Oh PHEW, you had me worried there for a moment...

Love it!

To chip in my two pence; I hope for a reconciliation, but I think we might be looking at a tragic story arc here; perhaps the feelings are still there on both sides, but Fate (or the ICC) intervene to prevent a happy ending.

Dark Faun
2009-07-22, 07:42 AM
Inkyrius' nickname means "O Lord". We just need to wait and see if Kyrie will show eleison ("have mercy") as well...

King of Nowhere
2009-07-22, 08:24 AM
Kyrie showed a great amount of cold blood during the dragon's attack, and I took the acceptance of what V had done ("I have no idea of what transpired. You may as well have made the only choice possible to save us. I thank you") as a hint that Kyrie is probably openminded. If that's the case, they'll probably fix everything.

On an unrelated note, I wonder why people who are separated by their families (Roy, Durkon, V, maybe Elan if his mom is still alive) never uses Sending or such to let their loved ones know what they're doing.

pflare
2009-07-22, 08:48 AM
On an unrelated note, I wonder why people who are separated by their families (Roy, Durkon, V, maybe Elan if his mom is still alive) never uses Sending or such to let their loved ones know what they're doing.

Maybe they do but we just don't see it. But Durkon was effectively banished from his homeland, Haley's dad is in prison and her mom left, Roy's only living relative is in a magic school that probably blocks sending spells, and Belkar probably killed his family. The only one I can think of is Elan and like I said maybe he does talk to his mom but we just don't see it.

As for V and Kyrie. I want two different outcomes at the same time. I want V to be happy but I also want to see hir karma kick hir in the butt. I believe that in order for V to gain a happy ending then s/he needs to show more chracter growth. I do believe that s/he is showing progress with the conversation with Durkon but s/he needs to admit what happened to the rest of the party and take responsibility for hir actions.

PS I love V and I'm rooting for hir.

rewinn
2009-07-22, 11:41 AM
As for V and Kyrie. I want two different outcomes at the same time. I want V to be happy but I also want to see hir karma kick hir in the butt. I believe that in order for V to gain a happy ending then s/he needs to show more chracter growth. I do believe that s/he is showing progress with the conversation with Durkon but s/he needs to admit what happened to the rest of the party and take responsibility for hir actions.

PS I love V and I'm rooting for hir.

Same here. My prediction (FWIW, which is very little) is that at the end of the quest, SomeOne Powerful offers the Order a Reward for Saving the World.

MitD: "Anything. Anything you want. V - how about Ultimate Arcane Power?"

V: "No thanks, just my family back"

MitD: "I'm SHOCKED! that was only six words."

V: "I grew up"

David Argall
2009-07-22, 01:30 PM
I wonder why people who are separated by their families (Roy, Durkon, V, maybe Elan if his mom is still alive) never uses Sending or such to let their loved ones know what they're doing.

Magic is really expensive. Sending a letter by mundane means cost maybe a gold, tops. You might be able to manage it for a copper. Sending cost 350/550 gold. Of course, you do get it there instantly and pretty much certainly, but for a letter home, it's not going to cut it.

Zanaril
2009-07-22, 01:41 PM
Magic is really expensive. Sending a letter by mundane means cost maybe a gold, tops. You might be able to manage it for a copper. Sending cost 350/550 gold. Of course, you do get it there instantly and pretty much certainly, but for a letter home, it's not going to cut it.

Although you might consider it worth that to tell your loved one that you're alive, less scary and evil looking, not being tortured by demons (yet), and maybe you could find it in your heart to forgive me for having to make some tough choices dear?

Optimystik
2009-07-22, 01:46 PM

In Roy's case at least, It's understandable (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0364.html) that they don't talk very often. And he won't even Speak with Dead (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0015.html) to let his mother know how he's doing (not that the spell is even supposed to work that way, although it seems to (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0095.html) in Stickverse.)