PDA

View Full Version : Good Spellvials [3.5]

kpenguin
2009-07-21, 07:08 PM
So, one of my players just took his second level in Alchemist Savant and is asking what sorts of spells would be good for making into a spellvial.

Thoughts?

WeeFreeMen
2009-07-21, 08:10 PM
Can you tell me the Restrictions and such on a Spell Vial?
Im not familiar with the PrC but I know alot of useful spells

kpenguin
2009-07-21, 11:59 PM
Spellvials are the offensive version of potions, which you can throw at targets to hit them with spells. You can only use spells that can be made into potions (spells that hit a specific target that's not you). The book gives the examples that you can put hold person, slow, or invisibility into a spellvial, but not false life (personal range), fireball (creates an area effect), or magic weapon (targets an object). Spells that have multiple versions can be put into a spell vial, but only the version that targets specifically can be used. So, a dispel magic can be put into a spellvial, but only the targeted dispell can be used with that.

Hat-Trick
2009-07-22, 12:02 AM
Resist Energy? Probably want multiple versions.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-22, 12:05 AM
Curse of Impending Blades?

Wiz/Sorc 2, No save. -2 AC 1/min Level.

Do they have to be offensive?

kpenguin
2009-07-22, 12:07 AM
Do they have to be offensive?

No, but non-offensive spells are better brewed as normal potions. Spellvials cost 50% more than a normal potion would to make.

deuxhero
2009-07-22, 10:55 AM
eew, a single use item that cost more than a potion? Potions are overpriced already.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-22, 10:58 AM
eew, a single use item that cost more than a potion? Potions are overpriced already.

I hate to be downer but I have to agree. I can't think of much of anything that would be worth 75/450/1125 a pop.Maybe the equipment-targeting version of grease wouldn't strictly be horribad but overall I can't think of much use for that kind of item.

aivanther
2009-07-22, 10:59 AM
While far from an expert, a lot of touch spells going to ranged would seem to be useful.

You know, things like Chill touch, ghoul touch or the like. Don't know, but those melee spells that would put you in danger that can be turned into ranged touch attacks seems like a good idea.

kpenguin
2009-07-22, 02:00 PM
Well, we're crafting and with 25% discount, so that helps.

Also, I'm allowing iterative attacks with them if the quick draw feat is taken.

Myrmex
2009-07-22, 02:08 PM
Also, I'm allowing iterative attacks with them if the quick draw feat is taken.

So instead of 450 gp/round, you are throwing 900 gp/round?
That's rough.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-22, 02:45 PM
Spellvials are the offensive version of potions, which you can throw at targets to hit them with spells. You can only use spells that can be made into potions (spells that hit a specific target that's not you). The book gives the examples that you can put hold person, slow, or invisibility into a spellvial, but not false life (personal range), fireball (creates an area effect), or magic weapon (targets an object). Spells that have multiple versions can be put into a spell vial, but only the version that targets specifically can be used. So, a dispel magic can be put into a spellvial, but only the targeted dispell can be used with that.

Is there a level cap on the spellvial the same way there is with a potion?

kpenguin
2009-07-22, 02:46 PM
Ayup, there is.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-22, 04:45 PM
In that case, I find I prefer the dispel magic spell vials. Especially if you put it in that hands of a warrior.
1st attack is to throw the dispel magic vial, then follow it up with your iteratives.

edit: Do the spellvials get affected by spell resistance in the same manner as the regular spell? (probably, but I'll ask anyway)
What about spell turning?