PDA

View Full Version : PrC: Avatar

JustinCognito
2005-07-31, 10:21 AM
This is my first time doing one of these. Hopefully, it's not too broken...

Some receive power through devotion to their deity; others receive it through devotion to nature; and some receive it through the favor of their god. The avatar, however, has perfected the relationship with his source of power to the point that he does not just have a strong relationship with it, but embodies it.

Requirements
Alignment: Must match deity.
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, Concentration 9 Ranks
Feats: Combat Casting, True Believer
Will Save Modifier: +5
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level divine spells

Class Skills

The avatar's class skills are Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Spot (Wis), as well as any class skills afforded by access to a domain (see below).

BAB- Average
Saves- Fort good, Reflex bad, Will good
HD: d8

Class Features
1- Domain access (1st)
2- Domain access (2nd), divine blessing (+1), +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3- Domain access (3rd)
4- Domain access (4th), +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5- Domain access (5th)
6- Domain access (6th), divine blessing (+2), +1 level of exisiting divine spellcasting class
7- Domain access (7th)
8- Domain access (8th), +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9- Domain access (9th)
10- Divine embodiment, divine blessing (+3), +1 level of existing spellcasting class

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: the avatar gains proficiency in no arms or armor, unless he takes a domain that allows him to do so (see below).

Spells per Day/ Spells Known: When an avatar gains an even-numbered level, he gains a number of spells per day (and spells known) as if he had gained a level of his previous divine spellcasting class. He does not, however, gain other abilities associated with gaining a level in his previous class.

Domain Access (Sp): Upon taking the avatar class, the avatar chooses a domain of their deity that they do not yet have, or swaps out a domain they already have for one they do not. The avatar then becomes the embodiment of this domain, gaining access to all bonuses a cleric has for taking the domain and the ability to cast any domain spell they can access as a spell-like ability once per day. Any save DCs against the spell-like ability are 10 + spell level + Wisdom modifier.

For example, Rahim, a cleric of Heironeous, has chosen Good and War as his domains. Upon taking a level of avatar, he can choose to access the domain of Law. He now has the ability to cast lawful spells at +1 level, as well as the ability to cast protection from chaos as a spell-like ability once per day. He could also, however, choose Law as one of his spellcasting domains and choose to access War, still gaining the benefits of Law while being able to cast War domain spells without affecting his number of spells per day.

The avatar gains access to spell-like abilities of his accessed domain whenever he gains an avatar level. If Rahim chose War, for instance, he gains the ability to cast Magic Weapon as a spell-like ability at avatar level 1, Spiritual Weapon at avatar level 2, and so forth.

If the avatar chooses a domain where the bonus is turning-related (such as Air, Earth, Fire, Sun, or Water), but does not have the ability to turn, he automatically gains the ability to turn the associated monster (Earth-based monsters for Air, etc.) as if he is a cleric of 1/2 his character level.

Divine Blessing: At level 2, the avatar gains a +1 bonus to all saving throws of his choice (Fortitude, Reflex, or Will). This bonus increases to +2 at level 6, and +3 at level 10.

Divine Embodiment: The avatar has become one with his diety, and his body reflects his new transcended state. If the character worships a good diety, he adopts the traits of an angel:
-Darkvision out to 60 ft. and low-light vision.
-Immunity to acid, cold, and petrification.
-Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10.
-+4 bonus on saves against poison.
-Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel’s HD). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)
-Tongues (Su): All angels can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level equal to angel’s Hit Dice). This ability is always active.

If the character worships an evil diety, they adopt the traits of a devil:
-Immunity to fire and poison.
-Resistance to acid 10 and cold 10.
-See in Darkness (Su): the avatarl can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.
-Summon (Sp): Once per day, the avatar has a 50% chance to summon 1d6 bearded devils.
-Telepathy.

Avatars of neutral dieties may choose either, except for avatars of St. Cuthbert, who must always choose to adopt the traits of an angel.

Feedback very, very welcome.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-31, 10:35 AM
Well, the Domain Access is kind of wasteful after 3rd or 4th level, since every god except Obad-hai has 3 or 4 domains (he has 6).
Also, the "gaining spell-like abilities" is slightly overpowered if I'm reading it right. Your requirements allow a 6th level cleric to start advancing as an Avatar. A Cleric 6/Avatar 10 would have about a bazillion spell-like abilities per day, 4 of which are 9th-level spells. A pure cleric would only gain 9th level spells at 17th level, and even then he would need Wisdom 28 to gain any more than 1 spell per day plus the domain slot. This does only become a problem after Avatar level 8, when he can now use an 8th level ability 1 level sooner than normally.

JustinCognito
2005-07-31, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer; by Domain Access, I mean you only choose one domain. At 1st avatar level, you get that domain's 1st-level spell as a spell-like ability; at 2nd avatar level, you get that domain's 2nd-level spell as a spell-like ability; and so forth. You don't get to pick a choose a different domain at each level; you get a maximum of three domains (unless you take another prestige class that confers bonus domains), and that's if you started out as a cleric.

woN_yalP
2005-07-31, 01:38 PM
How did you figure the exstra saves out?? And what if you use other domains not form PhB??
And what typ of bonus is it?? Divine??
I think that becoming half celestial is to overpowerd, why don't you make them into outsiders,giving them some imunities, and as a replacement get inn some extra sellcasitng levels on 5 and 9 maby.....
You know that half celestial has +4 LA and if you were to keep it will the character level upp like the others, or does he/she have to w8 for 4 levels??

JustinCognito
2005-07-31, 02:19 PM
I just applied save bonuses based on what I thought would be the most "appropriate" save for each domain. Maybe I should just make it +1 to chosen save.

And I thought half-celestial/half-fiend would be appropriate-- somewhat like the Dragon Disciple PrC, where one eventually becomes a half-dragon-- but now that you mention it, a class where you get to advance in your spellcasting class and shift your template is just too much. I'll just make it so they take on the racial traits of an angel or devil.