PDA

View Full Version : 4e Illusions

HMS Invincible
2009-07-22, 01:45 AM
I just realized that out of combat Illusions are just about nonexistant. The only way to make illusions is with fool's gold ritual or to take the fluff of Illusionist combat powers to the extreme. I suppose I could trick some people with my illusion style cantrips, but useful illusions are lacking. =\

Panda-s1
2009-07-22, 02:47 AM
I just realized that out of combat Illusions are just about nonexistant. The only way to make illusions is with fool's gold ritual or to take the fluff of Illusionist combat powers to the extreme. I suppose I could trick some people with my illusion style cantrips, but useful illusions are lacking. =\

Um, you're completely glossing over Hallucinatory Creature and Hallucinatory Item, both of which are in the PHB.

Tyrmatt
2009-07-22, 04:12 AM
Didn't Dragon have a big old article on enhancing the illusionist powers of the wizard?
I'd also rule that since the 4E spells are pretty much entirely combat (even healing has been simplified to the point the Cure X Wounds spells are daily powers rather than something you can cast all day long) that you could make arcana checks to craft spell effects like illusions. Or homebrew a ritual that lets a wizard prepare an illusion in advance to be released when a certain trigger is met.
It could apply to lots of things. Druids could make seeds grow with high enough Nature checks, Warlords could make Diplomacy checks to help train a town militia to be better fighters, Clerics could turn water into wine with a very high religion check.

The New Bruceski
2009-07-22, 04:18 AM
Um, you're completely glossing over Hallucinatory Creature and Hallucinatory Item, both of which are in the PHB.

This is the internet! We have no place for facts here!

TheOOB
2009-07-22, 04:36 AM
Didn't Dragon have a big old article on enhancing the illusionist powers of the wizard?
I'd also rule that since the 4E spells are pretty much entirely combat (even healing has been simplified to the point the Cure X Wounds spells are daily powers rather than something you can cast all day long) that you could make arcana checks to craft spell effects like illusions. Or homebrew a ritual that lets a wizard prepare an illusion in advance to be released when a certain trigger is met.
It could apply to lots of things. Druids could make seeds grow with high enough Nature checks, Warlords could make Diplomacy checks to help train a town militia to be better fighters, Clerics could turn water into wine with a very high religion check.

Much of what you are explaining are rituals, not skill checks. There are illusion spells for a wizard, and anything else should be a ritual. The problem is that there is nothing between "Combat speed power" and "10 minute rituals". I've been planning for over a year to re-write the ritual system, I might just get around to it too.

Burley
2009-07-22, 07:32 AM
Much of what you are explaining are rituals, not skill checks. There are illusion spells for a wizard, and anything else should be a ritual. The problem is that there is nothing between "Combat speed power" and "10 minute rituals". I've been planning for over a year to re-write the ritual system, I might just get around to it too.

Wizards may be planning to tweak with certain rituals in various ways. In the recent Familiars of Eberron article, there is a familiar that lets you cast Unseen Servant for free with a standard action. We may see the same sorta things for other rituals.

Thorin
2009-07-22, 07:56 AM
Use prestidigitation

It says that it can`t reproduce other power effect, and there is no power dealings with illusions.

HMS Invincible
2009-07-23, 03:50 AM

Oh good, there is something in there. Now I only need to house rule it so that it is useful at semi-combat casting speed. Is 1 minute for the ritual and 5 rounds to cast for the scroll ok?

Artanis
2009-07-23, 11:51 AM
In theory, yes. In practice, combats will rarely last 5 rounds, and those that do will usually be decided anyways by that point.