PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Breakfast Cereal?

X2
2009-07-22, 02:30 AM
Seriously... I eat the stuff like it's crack. I love Lucky Charms.

I always thought Cheerios needed an extra kick. Lucky Charms threw marshmallows in the mix and it's awesome.

So what's your favourite?

RTGoodman
2009-07-22, 02:32 AM
I might only be 21 years old, but I'm basically an old man - if I had my choice, I'd probably go with Raisin Bran or Raisin Bran Crunch over anything else.

Although, I will admit, I do love Fruit Pebbles and Rice Krispy Treats on occasion. Ooh, or Honey Graham Oh's (http://www.buythecase.net/product/6711/quaker_ohs_honey_graham_cereal/?engine=googlebase).

Crimmy
2009-07-22, 02:40 AM
Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles and all those are great.

But Corn Pops? Lucky Charms?
Those two are the best IMHO.

Pyrian
2009-07-22, 02:46 AM
Lucky Charms in chocolate milk. :smallbiggrin: ...But it's really a dessert, not a breakfast. :smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2009-07-22, 02:49 AM
Corn pops are fantastic. Though, my favorite has always been Honey Graham O's.

I also like those cereals with dried fruit in them, Rasin Bran, and Cocoa Pebbles.

I had no idea I had so much to say on the subject of cereal. :smalltongue:

X2
2009-07-22, 02:51 AM
Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles and all those are great.

But Corn Pops? Lucky Charms?
Those two are the best IMHO.

IMHO? Buzza wha?

ChameleonX11
2009-07-22, 02:53 AM
Life. It was always something that was kind of bland to most people, but I seem to like it just the way it is.

On another note, Cocoa Puffs have always had a special place in my heart. :smallsmile:

raitalin
2009-07-22, 02:55 AM
As far as cereal that doesn't feel like cheating, i.e. actually has nutritional value, I go with Strawberry All Bran or Total Cinnamon squares.

For guilty pleasure its Cinnamon Toast Crunch all the way.

Never could get behind Corn Pops, though "puffed" cereal has never been my cup of tea.

Coidzor
2009-07-22, 03:29 AM
Kix is the classiest cereal I've had in a long time.

Icewalker
2009-07-22, 03:36 AM
I used to love Kix, then they changed the recipe a long time ago, nowhere near as good anymore...

Corn Pops or Honey Nut Cheerios, myself, although I'll go for most sweet cereals. I avoid the really extreme ones, (anything which is either completely chocolate or brightly colored) mostly for the sake of my own sanity (delicious as they may be).

Alteran
2009-07-22, 03:40 AM
I really like Corn Pops and Honey Bunches of Oats. I also like many of the oh-god-sugar cereals, but I'm not counting them since I eat them so rarely. It's probably for the better. :smalltongue:

Shikton
2009-07-22, 03:42 AM
I used to love Kellogg's Frosties, but I don't think they make that anymore =/

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 03:47 AM
Weetbix, with plenty (but not too much) milk, in the microwave for 1 minute, then covered in brown sugar.

Carmen's Muesli (http://www.carmansfinefoods.com.au/), maybe with a bit of honey but not necessarily. The Classic Fruit, in particular, makes a very tasty porridge if you put it in the microwave for a minute or two =d

Finally, **** Smith's Bushfoods Cereal: "Bush Foods Breakfast cereal is a delicious, low-fat blend of crispy grains, nuts and fruits seasoned with natural bush flavours such as apple pieces with wild rosella and forestberry herb, combined with mango, lemon myrtle, pineapple, banana and aromatic wattle seeds.
With the delicious taste of honey dipped golden flakes and puffs of wheat and a sprinkle of macadamia nuts, **** Smith's Bush Foods Breakfast is a great start to the day - and it's high in essential dietary fibre and 97% fat free!
Bush Foods Breakfast is also suitable for those with special dietary needs as it is free from lactose, eggs and egg products, yeast and artificial flavours and colours."

horngeek
2009-07-22, 03:48 AM
And it gets filtered by the forum :smalltongue:.

I go for weet-bix.

4 of them, arranged just so, almost covered with milk, microwaved for 44 seconds, and then covered with sugar.

I have Asberger's Syndrome. That's my excuse.

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 03:52 AM
And it gets filtered by the forum :smalltongue:Fix'd :smalltongue:
I go for weet-bix.

4 of them, arranged just so, almost covered with milk, microwaved for 44 seconds, and then covered with sugar.

I have Asberger's Syndrome. That's my excuse.I always have 2, side-by-side, and it has to be a flat bowl so they lie evenly in the milk, which has to wet it all, and like you, almost covering it. And it's always 60 seconds. And only brown sugar (unless I'm having cold, in which case it's gotta be white sugar).
When I told Dr Mum that my friend had been diagnosed with Asberger's, she said she thought I'd be more likely to have it than him.

:smallconfused:

Weetbix = Asberger's cereal?

Totally Guy
2009-07-22, 03:52 AM
When I was very young I remember a cereal called Jumblees and they were amazing. Peanutty and sugary. They must have stopped making them as I've not seen them in 15~18 years.

horngeek
2009-07-22, 03:58 AM

No,

Elaborately prepared the same way every time=Asberger's preperation

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 04:00 AM
No,

Elaborately prepared the same way every time=Asberger's preperationIsn't that also what I said? :smalltongue: Butcheah.

arguskos
2009-07-22, 04:05 AM
Basic 4 (http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/brands/product_image.aspx?catID=50&itemID=663) the win! Gods, forgive me, for I have punned... :P

Totally Guy
2009-07-22, 04:05 AM
When I used to eat Weetabix as a child I'd try to add exactly the right amount of milk to fully moisten the weetabix but not enough to moisten all of the sugar. I think I only accomplished this feat on a couple of occasions.

And maybe I added a little too much sugar to aid this goal...:smalltongue:

Edit: All these weird foreign cereals have weird foreign names.

horngeek
2009-07-22, 04:07 AM
Oh, I have that down to a fine art. The trick is to stand them on edge, and then to just cover them. Then you microwave the whole thing, and then add sugar.

It all goes wrong if sugar is added before microwaving. :smallyuk:

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 04:09 AM
It all goes wrong if sugar is added before microwaving. :smallyuk:Definitely. You add the sugar last, then use the spoon to sprinkle milk on it to dissolve it.

horngeek
2009-07-22, 04:13 AM
Really?

I don't bother with that.

Ah, low-sugar cereals. People just add sugar anyway.

Shikton
2009-07-22, 04:15 AM
How about Corn Flakes and tossing some banana in there? Or is that just me?

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 04:16 AM
Yeah, but I still get less sugar, cuz even if it had sugar it probably wouldn't taste like it and I'd still add about as much.

Corlindale
2009-07-22, 04:17 AM
This may be a case of prejudice (engendered by having a mother who's been teaching nutrition, perhaps), but I've for most of my life held the belief that the majority of brand cereals are simply candy in disguise - and the worst kind of candy because it sneaks into the one meal of the day at which most people have exactly the same things every time.

I prefer eating raw oats (we do that in Denmark, though I hear it's uncommon elsewhere) with naturel youghurt and a sliced banana on top. If I really feel like something good I cook up some oatmeal (milk-based rather than water-based - when cooked with water it basically tastes like nothing:smallyuk:).

Müesli can be good too, as long as it's fruit müesli and not the all-too common chocolate chip-sugarcoated-honeydrenched edition.

Shikton
2009-07-22, 04:20 AM
Müesli can be good too, as long as it's fruit müesli and not the all-too common chocolate chip-sugarcoated-honeydrenched edition.

Preferably with yoghurt, not milk.:smallsmile:

Nameless
2009-07-22, 04:23 AM
Weetabix. :smallbiggrin:

Ninja Chocobo
2009-07-22, 04:26 AM
Seriously... I eat the stuff like it's crack. I love Lucky Charms.

You are Australian how do you get regular access to the stuff?

H. Zee
2009-07-22, 04:28 AM
Cheerio's.

Mmmmmmmm.

Cheerio's. :smallbiggrin:

Corlindale
2009-07-22, 04:28 AM
Preferably with yoghurt, not milk.

Indeed:smallsmile:
I've generally gone over to yoghurt for my cereals because it serves the same purpose as milk, but unlike milk it does not ruin all the good crunchy bits to such a great extent. If you're eating cornflakes with milk, for example, you're effectively on a strict time-limit, because it won't be long before all of the flakes have become drenched, soft and yucky.

arguskos
2009-07-22, 04:32 AM
I... don't put milk/yoghurt/whatever IN my cereal. I instead have the cereal dry, and have a glass of milk with it. I'm strange, I know. :smallsigh: Aww, no one saw my white text earlier...

horngeek
2009-07-22, 04:34 AM
Yeah... when I'm not at home, and don't have the right bowls or a microwave where I know what 44 seconds in the microwave will do, I generally go for Nutri-grain.

Or Coco pops, which my mum gets. Because it is apparently a good recovery food after hard exersise.

^@: Yes, you are! Strange, and unnatural! :eek: :tongue:

Ravens_cry
2009-07-22, 04:38 AM
Life cereal.
Or granola with yogart.

Justyn
2009-07-22, 04:51 AM
Plain Wheaties. And frosted mini-wheats when they're on sale.

Exeson
2009-07-22, 04:54 AM
At the moment I eat weatabix mini-crunch but my all time favorite still has to be good old dependable corn flakes.

arguskos
2009-07-22, 04:58 AM
^@: Yes, you are! Strange, and unnatural! :eek: :tongue:
So I've been told. Would it bother you to know that I don't sweeten my cereal? Or that the last (and only) time I added milk to it, I was sick for two days? Milk is great, cereal is awesome, together, not so much. :smallyuk:

I am very very peculiar. I am a white text GOD!

Dragonrider
2009-07-22, 09:43 AM
I'm eating it right now: Life. :smallbiggrin: I also love Grape Nuts. I eat them for breakfast AND lunch most days. Sometimes with milk, sometimes with light vanilla yogurt. My brother puts brown sugar on his grape nuts, but I like them plain.....

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-22, 10:09 AM
Forget you healthy people.
I eat Reese's Puffs and Captain Crunch.

And those are really the only cereals I like :smalltongue:

Jesse Drake
2009-07-22, 10:11 AM
mmmmmm... Peanut Butter Crunch... Peanut Butter!!! (Am I the only one who remembers the old Zombie commercial for that delicious cereal?)

13_CBS
2009-07-22, 10:12 AM
Add another devotee to plain ol' corn flakes. No bananas, no sugar, no nothing: just milk and Kellog's Corn Flakes.

Ziren
2009-07-22, 10:14 AM
I used to love Kellogg's Frosties, but I don't think they make that anymore =/

They are here in Germany. Though there is also a no-name clone of it sold that is, in my opinion, much better.

Jalor
2009-07-22, 10:16 AM
I enjoy Lucky Charms and Reese's Puffs, mostly because they don't try to hide the fact that they are actually candy. I'm also surprised nobody's made the "eating Marbits for breakfast" joke yet.

Eon
2009-07-22, 10:19 AM
Cheerios or fruity pebbles.

I go camping about once a month and when you do it with my boy scout troop, you learn that food can taste just as good without certain elements. Such as just pouring your cereal into a bowl and eating it can be just as good as with milk.

Of course, some of the older kids skip the bowl...

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-22, 10:58 AM
Since I was 13, Wheaties has been my cereal of choice. It's gotten to the point where surgary cereals just gross me out.

Wheatbix are pretty good though.

Emperor Ing
2009-07-22, 10:59 AM
personally i'm quite fond of Khorne Flakes. (http://vnmedia.ign.com/warhammervault.ign.com/areyanna/Arey/KhorneFlakes.jpg)

Seriously now, i'm addicted to Corn Flakes. :smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-07-22, 11:02 AM
Trix. I had it for the first time in years yesterday and I forgot how much I loved it.

Rutskarn
2009-07-22, 11:04 AM
Honey Nut Cheerios. No milk. Glass of juice.

Throw in a bit of bacon, some strawberries, you've got the breakfast of champions.

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 11:04 AM
Wait... I thought Weetbix were Australian/New Zealand... What's with all these Poms and Yanks eating 'em? :smallconfused:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-22, 11:08 AM
Wait... I thought Weetbix were Australian/New Zealand... What's with all these Poms and Yanks eating 'em? :smallconfused:

I dunno, but we sell 'em in Target.
Which, I found, is also different from the Target you Aussies have.

Falgorn
2009-07-22, 11:10 AM
Chocolate Lucky Charms. Everything unhealthy about breakfast cereals compressed into one box..
If only there was cereal with only marshmallows.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-22, 11:12 AM

I get out to Sydney about every18 months or so... probably more often now that we have an absurdly adorable niece to go spoil. My sister-in-law usually has Weetbix in her pantry, and I've found them to be quite good.

When I'm really lucky, the pantry is also stocked with sweet, glorious Tim Tams and Mint Slices! :smallbiggrin:

Vmag
2009-07-22, 11:27 AM
I'm very fond of Pops. Frosted Flakes of corn are awesome, and you won't see me turning down a bowl of Rice Crispies, and there's nothing like a bowl of Special K or Honey Nut Cheerios to start off your day right, but Corn Pops trumps them all, by a landslide.of corny goodness

TheThan
2009-07-22, 11:30 AM
Honey Nut Cheerios. No milk. Glass of juice.

Throw in a bit of bacon, some strawberries, you've got the breakfast of champions.

Wrong!
The breakfast of champions is cold pizza and beer.

anyway i think my favorite is cheerios with fresh sliced strawberries in it. bananas are OK, but strawberries are by far my preferred additional ingredient .

Agamid
2009-07-22, 11:35 AM
most breakfast cereals have honey in them, so i can't eat them :(

have been eating Uncle Tobys Fruity Bites lately though and they're pretty good.

http://www.bananablue.com.au/images/product/9310060407727_1.jpg

in strawberry season i like to eat simply puffed wheat with milk and cut up strawberries :)
and when i'm at my dad's i sometimes have Jolly-pong - though it's a bit overkill with the sweetness.

http://gallery.mingersoft.com/d/1255-2/Jolly_Pong

EDIT: i often skip breakfast though, or have just a piece of fruit or glass of milk... if i'm feeling creative i put the two together and make a smoothy.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-22, 12:57 PM
Reese's Puffs... the problem is I like them enough to eat them several times a day.

I also enjoy Lucky Charms.

Trog
2009-07-22, 01:11 PM
Reese's Puffs... the problem is I like them enough to eat them several times a day.
This. P=

Also I like Banana Nut Crunch, but only at breakfast.

Jack Squat
2009-07-22, 01:23 PM
My favorite is probably Captain Crunch, but it's closely followed by Reese's puffs, Cocoa Puffs, Cocoa/Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms, Kix, and a few that aren't made anymore.

I also like snacking on that new chocolate Frosted mini-wheats, but not so much for breakfast.

Innis Cabal
2009-07-22, 01:27 PM
Popcorn....with some milk and sugar

Fredthefighter
2009-07-22, 01:27 PM
Cocoa Pops, because Cocoa Pops and milk make a bowl full of fun.
Sugar Puffs, because of the Honey Monster.
Kellogs Frosted Flakes. They're grrrrreat.
And then there's Cheerios. They're healthy-ish.
Although I did enjoy Fruit Loops while I was in Florida last summer.

adanedhel9
2009-07-22, 01:36 PM
Cinnamon Total - Good cruch, good flavor, and covers most of your daily needs for vitamins and minerals. What's not to like?

Alteran
2009-07-22, 03:34 PM

Ohhh, yes. Reese's Puffs is definitely my favourite sugar cereal. It's been so long since I've had any, though.

LCR
2009-07-22, 05:43 PM

I hope not. But I seriously can't stand if they're not evenly covered in milk. I also can't stand if they're too soaked in milk or not enough soaked.

horngeek
2009-07-22, 05:56 PM
This. THIS.

That's the reason that I only have them at home.

Lupy
2009-07-22, 06:37 PM
Apple Jacks ftw! :smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2009-07-22, 07:21 PM
For me, I enjoy a good frosted shredded wheat cereal (brand does not matter).