PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mundane Intimidate boost?

Thespianus
2009-07-22, 02:42 AM
I have a Barbarian in my party who picked Intimidating Rage (Complete Warrior) for her 6th level feat and the Never Outnumbered skill trick from Compelete Scoundrel. She basically wants to add another ability to her repertoire on top of the Greatsword-PowerAttack-goodness we all come to know and love.

So, my question is, what are good ways to do this while remaining a Barbarian?

I have found the Feat "Imperious Command" (Makes Demoralized foes Cower for one round before becoming Shaken in the next round) in Drow of the Underdark, and I found a substitution level in the Crystal Keep repository called Fearsome Gaze, which would boost Intimidate and make Intimidate based on Strength, instead of Charisma. Good for a Barbarian. :)

However, the Imperious Command feat requires a Charisma of 15, which doesn't make sense once Intimidate is based off Strength, but we might get the DM to waive that requirement.

Also, I have found Intimidating Strike (PHB2) which lets her use Demoralize each time she uses a standard action to make one attack against an enemy. However, this feat can't be used to move the opponent beyond "Shaken" (ie the Imperious Command feat mentioned above would not apply to Intimidating Strike)

Are there any other routes to go to make the mundane use of Intimidate more effective? Or should she just move on to fulfill the prereqs for Frenzied Berserker (our DM has allowed some modification to make the FrBer less insane for the party)

Any opinions at all would be helpful.

Her relevant stats are:
Human Barbarian 6/Fighter 1:
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16
Intimidate maxed to 10 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Furious Charge, Cleave, Extra Rage, Intimidating Rage

(Yes, I know, she doesn't have Pounce, no Leap Attack and no Shock Trooper. We like her anyway;) )

Person_Man
2009-07-22, 09:57 AM
Read this (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167.html).

Thespianus
2009-07-22, 11:02 AM
I love you.

;)

Thespianus
2009-07-22, 11:23 AM
Read this (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167.html).

Funny though, it doesn't mention the Fearsome Gaze ACF from Dragon Magazine #349.

A +4 bonus on Intimidate checks and Strength bonus on intimidate checks instead of charisma will make a normal level 10 Barbarian end up with about +22-+25 on Intimidate checks from Rage and Strength items alone. Not bad at all. :)

If we add skill bonuses, things will start going through the roof! :D

With a Wis 12 Barbarian, she could be the target of the Imbue with Spell Ability spell from the party Cleric. Cast "Divine Insight" on herself and gain a +15 insight bonus on skill rolls. With Fearsome (Drow of the Underdark) Armor, we get a +5 enhancement bonus on Intimidate, so we end up with about +45 on the Intimidate roll.

That's enough to make the Tarrasque fall down and cower with fear more than 30% of the time. Find me another +10 item and we're home safe. ;)

EDIT: A +10 competence bonus item is a mere 10000 GP, if I read the DMG right. Scary folks, Barbarians. :)