PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite band?

Pages : 1 [2]

ElfLad
2007-02-04, 02:03 AM
1. The Beatles
2. Relient K
3. Jimmy Eat World
4. (three-way tie) Led Zeppelin
4. Pink Floyd
4. Switchfoot
7. The Beach Boys

Well, I should probably add some more.

Boston and Kansas are two great, great bands that I've only recently gotten into. David Bowie and Queen are great, and I'm pretty much just starting to get into Guns N' Roses. Don't know why I forgot Dylan the first time around, but: Bob Dylan. There, I said it.

Amotis
2007-02-04, 02:05 AM
Relient K seems strangely out of place in there, ElfLad. Though the lead singer is damn sexy. That might be why.

ElfLad
2007-02-04, 02:11 AM
I like their lyrics. Although I think they're better in the non-singles, though. Their singles appeal a bit too much to the teeny-bopper crowd.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 02:18 AM
Anyone listen to Rufus Wainwright? I just listened to a bunch of songs and he's pretty good. (Holy Heck... long hair *faint*)

Amotis
2007-02-04, 02:26 AM
Yeah, he's cool. Very catchy tunes. Oh What a World (or whatever that song's called...you know, the one with Ravel's Boloro playing in the background) is cool. I mean, he's good at what he does. Poppy songs.

Jewish_Joke
2007-02-04, 05:31 AM
Jewish Joke - Oh awesome! I was looking for a good radio station! Bloody thanks. Have you seen the bluesman documentary "You See Me Laughin'" ? I was sooo excited to see Burnside and a bunch of other modern players with him. The interviews were awesome and spot on. You really should see it if you haven't already.

Am I to assume that means that you listened to the station and liked it?

If that's the case, then welcome to the world's most popular and supportive musical community.

Amotis
2007-02-04, 12:19 PM
Am I to assume that means that you listened to the station and liked it?

If that's the case, then welcome to the world's most popular and supportive musical community.

Yeah, I liked it. Heh, their playlists rock. Cheap Trick next to Bloc Party. Hells yes.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 03:56 PM
Yeah, he's cool. Very catchy tunes. Oh What a World (or whatever that song's called...you know, the one with Ravel's Boloro playing in the background) is cool. I mean, he's good at what he does. Poppy songs.
I'm just disappointed that all the live stuff (youtube, ftw) sounds better than all the studio versions. I love "I Don't Know What It Is", but I can't bring myself to downloading it from iTunes 'cause it doesn't sound as good at it did on YouTube.:smallyuk:

...And he's damn gorgeous. *swoon*

Amotis
2007-02-04, 06:45 PM
Really? His studio versions are fine I think. His voice isn't perfect by any means so the studio work helps it out a lot.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 06:47 PM
Yeah, some of the studio versions are good. I just think, instrumentally, live sounds better.

FdL
2007-02-04, 11:22 PM
What do you think of Camper Van Beethoven, Amotis? Have you listened to their stuff?

Amotis
2007-02-05, 12:28 AM
OMG, me love them. I love bands that are totally tongue in cheek but still crank out some awesome music. I haven't heard their latest stuff yet but I heard it's more post-rock-y wandering stuff. Should look into them again.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-05, 02:29 AM
Alright... here's my top 4 list. In the order presented.

Blind Guardian
Demons and Wizards
Lesium
Nickelback

Ego Slayer
2007-02-05, 01:39 PM
I like DCFC, especially the first albums, I've not listened beyond Photo Album.
Missed this before. *is not paying attention*
Photo Album was pretty good. I didn't think Plans wasn't really worth much. Don't bother. I love the song "Marching Bands of Manhattan" but there isn't really anything else spectacular on it.

FdL
2007-02-05, 02:31 PM
@Amotis: I went through a CVB craze last year. I found the re-released early albums and bought them all. I had listened to them before but not before the most popular songs. I had Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart and loved it, but found their early stuff a little too weird for me.

But I really got into them this time. The early material is really brilliant, as you say, pretty tongue in cheek but that's what seems to allow them to not take themselves too seriously and come with such creative music. Then I heard the Key Lime Pie album was really a surprise for me because even if it's more focused and maybe more traditionally "alternative circa 90's", it's brilliant. Then there's the comeback album, which is quite alright but it's not terribly good, just a welcome addition to their discography.

I've also listened to a ton of live shows of them and I have to say that these guys can play. They're great musicians and performers. There's a song in which they make a medley of pieces of songs, Led Zeppelin, their own instrumentals, you name it. That is scorching live. And also their choice of covers and sense of humor.

Really the kind of stuff you feel glad to have ears for.

@Ego Slayer: I had that impression but I might give it a listen anyway. I'm expecting they have polished their sound, and as someone said, success with their own stuff and Postal Service might have changed them slightly. But still I think Gibbard is a great songwriter and they can pull out really interesting arrangements. Sometimes the bassist makes quite unexpected turns to the harmonies. I love their guitar sounds and the keys. Plus Chris Walla is known to like Throwing Muses, which to me is beyond cool.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 03:04 PM
You saw them live, really? Heh, they seem like a cool band to see. I love their older stuff and though I'm not totally immersed into that '90s alt rock (was more of the 90's indie rock person) and I can tell that their albums are something really different from what was going on then.

zeratul
2007-02-05, 03:11 PM
I'm listening to a lot of The Aquabats, Flogging Molly, and the Dresden Dolls.

Also I'm listening to Bowling for Soups "My hometown" which has to be one of the funniest songs ever.

wow lots of flogging molly fans. They are awsome, as are the Dresden Dolls (sept coin operated boy witch is kinda creepy)

zeratul
2007-02-05, 03:13 PM
Decemberists, but mostly their early stuff (this could prove controversial).
The decembrists are awsome. Mariners rvenge rocks.

Amotis
2007-02-05, 03:21 PM
You can copy and paste the quotes into your first post so you don't have to triple post.

Lu-Tzao
2007-02-05, 05:11 PM
hrm, I would say Blindspott at the moment, closely followed by Submersed! But really it changes weekly, so I don't really know.

Amotis
2007-02-07, 09:54 PM
Time for an update! I've been listening to two very very good bands a lot the last week.

The Fiery Furnaces

Guided By Voices

*praises their awesomeness*

FdL
2007-02-08, 02:27 PM
Of course, Guided By Voices are a living legend. Incredible, incredible stuff. It's one of the cornerstones of music as I know it, or something. Which of their records have you been listening to?

Amotis
2007-02-08, 04:14 PM
Almost all of them but mostly Bee Thousand (of course), Half Smiles of the Decomposed, Isolation Drills, and their comp record, Human Amusements at Hourly Rates. Robert Pollard is the man. Seriously, I want to be like him.

FdL
2007-02-10, 11:56 AM
The comp is pretty good as an anthology. I'm been more into their early stuff lately, Vampire On Titus, and a couple before.

It's really interesting how they evolved from trying to be a "serious" alternative band and their early stuff sounding similar to early R.E.M., to not giving a s*** about anything and creating their own rules for making rock music. My guess is that they tried to be a rock band, then the rejection or total ignorance from the world actually helped them make original stuff.

Is music better when created ignoring the impositions and restrictions of a potential audience and the laws of marketing? Here's an example of that.

Deleran
2007-02-10, 01:18 PM
I've been listening to Q-Unit recently. Quite Awesome. Anyway, my top 5

Artists:
The Roots
Jack White
My Bloody Valentine
Hendrix
The Decemberists

Albums:
The Grey Album - Danger Mouse
Band of Gypsies - Hendrix
Things Fall Apart - The Roots
The Tain - The Decemberists
The Advantage - The Advantage

Songs:
The Seed 2.0 - The Roots
Double Trouble - The Roots
My First Song - Danger Mouse
Megaman 2-Flashman - The Advantage
D'yer Mak'er (Bluegrass Cover) - Pickin' on Zeppelin

In no particular order.

Amotis
2007-02-10, 04:07 PM
Is music better when created ignoring the impositions and restrictions of a potential audience and the laws of marketing? Here's an example of that.

I'm not sure but I think it helps a hella lot that they have someone like Pollard at the helm. I've seen a couple of interviews and he's very intellegent but still really humble. Kinda tongue in cheek sometimes too.

FdL
2007-02-10, 10:08 PM
He's an everyman, a simple guy. People with much less talent have gone nuts about selling a couple of records.

My point with GbV is that if they hadn't been able to work outside the musical industry's standards, if they had been "succesful" right away, their music probably wouldn't have come as spontaneous and as creative. It does help that Pollard has great ideas when writing songs, but a lot of it has to do with the way he channels that energy into an spontaneous art form.

Darius Midnite
2007-02-11, 05:39 AM
Led-Zeppelin, without a doubt. Followed close by Kashmir.

Lord of the Helms
2007-02-11, 07:21 AM
I've been very hooked to Rage recently, especially the albums they recorded with Prague's Lingua Mortis Orchestra, Thirteen and Ghosts. Definitely the highlight of one of the most consistently good careers out there.

Also, King Diamond and Manilla Road are brilliant. Nothing creates these types of haunting, mysterious horror atmospheres quite like these two bands

Teh_Jakester
2007-02-11, 09:13 AM
Aerosmith
Guns N' Roses
Quiet Riot
AC/DC
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Cheap Trick
Kansas
Boston
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pantera
Buckethead
KISS
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
etc.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 01:14 AM
Never did post on here, did I?

Fall Out Boy,
All-American Rejects,
Bowling For Soup,
and The Fray.

:smallamused:

Whaaat?! I wish I could lie more eloquently.:smallbiggrin:

...with 3 of those 4 names, you just crushed my belief in all that is right and good in the world.

...no, I'm just kidding...although if your little sister played one of their songs full blast on repeat for 6 hours at a time, you would cringe at their names, too.

Anyway, what do I like? My top fave has to be Arsis, followed closely by Arch Enemy and In Flames. Mix some more melodeath in with a good bit of symphonic, gothic, and thrash metal, and, for some reason, Flyleaf, and you've got my general musical taste.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-16, 01:26 AM
Arsis are okay, but I personally do not think they are great- I prefer Wintersun and Kalmah to them: Wintersun and Kalmah are more musical.

jkdjr25
2007-02-16, 01:35 AM
Queen, Journey, Flogging Molly, Alabama, Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band, Bowling for Soup, and The Highwaymen

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-16, 02:21 AM
Arsis are okay, but I personally do not think they are great- I prefer Wintersun and Kalmah to them: Wintersun and Kalmah are more musical.

...blasphemy! Although, really, having met the guys in Arsis, I have to say they're some of the nicest people ever. That might have influenced me a little strongly in their direction. Kudos to you for actually having heard them!

...I'll have to check out Wintersun and Kalmah, then...

Lord of the Helms
2007-02-16, 09:03 AM

More melodic, yes. More musical, not really. Arsis just has much more going on in the guitar department.

Oh yeah, and I'm currently hooked on Goat Horn. Lovely mix of old-school Doom and Heavy Metal, with some Thrash and Power mixed in for good measure.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-16, 10:02 AM
I have nothing but good things to say about Agalloch, an incredible folk/black/doom metal band from Oregon, they are one of my favourite bands evar.

Amotis
2007-02-19, 09:57 PM
Chet Atkins used to be really high on my list for being my favorite jazz and country fingerpicker.

Then I heard this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io6j7gVDQG8&mode=related&search=). The guy can hold his weight as a classical guitarist. He plays that much much better then most pro classical players. It's a really really hard song. Trust me. And he plays it almost as good as Pepe. Almost.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-19, 10:35 PM
More melodic, yes. More musical, not really. Arsis just has much more going on in the guitar department.

Oh yeah, and I'm currently hooked on Goat Horn. Lovely mix of old-school Doom and Heavy Metal, with some Thrash and Power mixed in for good measure.

...ah, yes. I forgot that. There is a profound difference between melodic metal and technical metal. I like a degree of technicality that impresses and intrigues me without getting to the point of dominating the music.

Nightmarenny
2007-02-20, 12:53 AM
...with 3 of those 4 names, you just crushed my belief in all that is right and good in the world.

...no, I'm just kidding...although if your little sister played one of their songs full blast on repeat for 6 hours at a time, you would cringe at their names, too.

Anyway, what do I like? My top fave has to be Arsis, followed closely by Arch Enemy and In Flames. Mix some more melodeath in with a good bit of symphonic, gothic, and thrash metal, and, for some reason, Flyleaf, and you've got my general musical taste.
Dude you need to take your sisters cds. If she's playing it so much that you cring at the names.....

Caelestion
2007-02-20, 10:05 AM
I suppose I ought to go on record as also liking Shania Twain and general mixes - Best of 70s etc.

Queen and Abba FTW of course! :)

Calamity
2007-02-22, 11:34 AM
It's a Tie!

Favourites: Muse and Gorillaz
Runners up: Garbage and Nirvana

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-02-22, 12:03 PM
Metllica,Alice Cooper,Marilyn Manson,Rage against the Machine,Mega Death,Disturbed,Nightwish,Cradle of filth and Systemof a down.
Nothing on earth beats metallica live...NOTHING!

Ava
2007-02-22, 12:59 PM
I have a hard time liking many of the new bands these days, so I don't listen to much music.

I do like Evanesence though. I appreciate good vocals.

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-22, 04:08 PM
Groups that I actually like (enough for one of my rare album buys):

Trivium, The Magic Numbers, Bloc Party, Maximo Park and Gorillaz. Might get the current Muse album in the near future too.

Catch
2007-02-22, 04:18 PM
http://imagegen.last.fm/oby/oartists/CatchParadox.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/CatchParadox/?chartstyle=oby)

I'm the guy that smiles at the guy wearing the "your band sucks" shirt. Sometimes I give him a high-five.

thorgrim29
2007-02-22, 04:25 PM
Hummm

Led Zed
Aerosmith
Styx
Queen
Pink Floyd
ACDC
Éric Lapointe (Quebeker rocker, really good stuff)
Linkin park
Dream Theater

And my absolute favorite band is Metallica, especially the S&M and Black albums.

My favorite songs.... would be amazing by Aerosmith and Of wolf and Man from the kings of canadian music, Metallica.

God_of_Luck
2007-02-22, 08:32 PM
Hummm

Led Zed
Aerosmith
Styx
Queen
Pink Floyd
ACDC
Éric Lapointe (Quebeker rocker, really good stuff)
Linkin park
Dream Theater

And my absolute favorite band is Metallica, especially the S&M and Black albums.

My favorite songs.... would be amazing by Aerosmith and Of wolf and Man from the kings of canadian music, Metallica.

I'm opening a can of worms (Beatles vs Queen anyone?):

If you like Metallica, you will love Megadeth!

FdL
2007-02-22, 10:12 PM
Hey! Update here too. This morning I popped The Decemberist's The Crane Wife and surprisingly I loved it. I think it's much much better than Picaresque because I liked this one instantly and Picaresque makes me sleepy (in a bad "rather turn it off" way).

Beatles vs. Queen? Come, on, it's a no-contest...

Amotis
2007-02-22, 10:14 PM
It's a pretty good catchy sing along album. I like Yankee Bayonet and Summersong. But the whole album has that whole funky dance along beat to it that's pretty cool.

edito - Oh, Fdl, have you heard of Grizzly Bear? I'm falling for 'em fast.

FdL
2007-02-22, 10:26 PM
No, the name sounds familiar and I might even have something of them in my backups, but I don't recall them. They have a recent album that's beem raved in Pitchfork and similar places, don't they? I'll check them out asap. Your recommendations are usually pretty good. :)

Amotis
2007-02-22, 11:19 PM
They did? I would think so. They're pretty lo-fi. (*rimshot*) But yeah, in a serious note they're pretty cool. I love the cool atmosphereic harmonies and just the overall feel of it.

Logic
2007-02-23, 03:49 AM
My favorite band (Audioslave) is breaking up.
At least we got 3 good albums before they decided to go their seperate ways.

Tor the Fallen
2007-02-23, 04:00 AM
Iron & Wine recently came out with a terrific album; the Woman King EP. Every song on that is an alt folk rock masterpiece.

Ceska
2007-02-23, 05:42 AM
@Logic: I don't know, I always liked RATM more anyway. Chris Cornell is a good singer, but he simply didn't fit the band, plus I didn't like the lyrics of most songs. I liked some songs, like Chochise or Gasoline, but mostly he simply didn't fit. They did a good job on Working Man though.

Right now my favourite band is In Flames, especially Whoracle grew on me over the time, at first I didn't really like it. I like the older albums more than the new now, Come Clarity is nice, but no song really stands out, the title track overdos the chorus, if it had a bit less of that it would be one of my favourite songs, apart from that it's still number three or four of those albums I own (I got to get Colony sometime) with Jester Race around the same place. Before In Flames my favourite band was Tool, before that RATM.

Thelion
2007-02-23, 06:17 AM
Mmm, at the moment I would say Virgin Steele, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Dio, Rush, Iced Earth, Queensryche, Megadeth, Ayreon, Battleroar, Airged L'amh, Skyclad, Queen, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Gamma Ray, Bruce Dickinson, Demons And Wizards are my favorites, but I wouldn't want to leave Frank Boeijen, Boudewijn de Groot and Marcel de Groot (all Dutch singer/songwriters) out of the list.

Scorpina
2007-02-23, 09:46 AM
My favorite band (Audioslave) is breaking up.
At least we got 3 good albums before they decided to go their seperate ways.

Really? That sucks.

Mind you, I did hear about them breaking up after their first album. That turned out to be a complete load...

Amotis
2007-02-23, 11:01 AM
Iron & Wine recently came out with a terrific album; the Woman King EP. Every song on that is an alt folk rock masterpiece.

Alt rock? Indie folk? Ehh, I don't care, they're good tunes. Yeah, it's a solid EP and I'm glad he's finally breaking out of his mold. Jezebel is forever one of my favorite songs. So is Freedom Hangs like Heaven. Heck, just a great album. I constantly buy Woman King and Buckley's Grace to give to people to get them into music. Both great assesable albums.

Logic
2007-02-24, 08:56 AM
Really? That sucks.

Mind you, I did hear about them breaking up after their first album. That turned out to be a complete load...
It seemed to take them quite a while to release their second album I suppose. But this time I heard it from a more reliable source than the internet (the irony here is astounding.)
I heard the news from my local radio station, along with the news that Rage Against the Machine is reforming.

Amotis
2007-02-25, 12:56 AM
It seemed to take them quite a while to release their second album I suppose. But this time I heard it from a more reliable source than the internet (the irony here is astounding.)
I heard the news from my local radio station, along with the news that Rage Against the Machine is reforming.

The have a spot in a local music festival in about 2 1/2 months. So methinks they're back together.

The Extinguisher
2007-02-25, 01:09 AM
It's a tie between Say Anything and Circle Takes the Square.

On one hand, Say Anything rawks, and on the other CTTS is awesome and epic.

FdL
2007-02-27, 01:45 PM
Alt rock? Indie folk? Ehh, I don't care, they're good tunes. Yeah, it's a solid EP and I'm glad he's finally breaking out of his mold. Jezebel is forever one of my favorite songs. So is Freedom Hangs like Heaven. Heck, just a great album. I constantly buy Woman King and Buckley's Grace to give to people to get them into music. Both great assesable albums.

Yeah, gorgeous stuff! Have you heard Iron & Wine and Calexico's collaboration? It's a great listen too, which comes as no surprise. Can't remember the name though...

Amotis
2007-02-27, 07:02 PM
It was called In The Reins (and I have that album's t-shirt) and yeah, great rendition of Lover's ...something. Dammit, that one song! Great song though...just...you know, forgetting what it's called.

Update, sorta electronica ambiance mood this time :
More the mountain goats! (I HOPE YOU BOTH DIE!)
Aphex Twin's Selected Ambiance Works II
Venetian Snares (awesome, anyone who likes ^ that album needs to check them out)
Sunn0)))
Red Sparowes (cool new post rock band I found)
The Disintegration Loops (or Tapes) - Look them (or him) up. If it sounded as awesome to you as it did to me, you need to listen.

edito - A History of Lovers, that's the one. Acutally, I just really like that album. First iron and wine song I learned was Prison on Route 41, and songs like He Lays In The Reins, Dead Man's Will, and 16 Maybe Less are always being played on my ipod

Stargazer
2007-02-27, 07:06 PM
oh goodness, for one who loves music more than he loves breathing..I'll just name genres,... Rock is definatley number one in my book classic, or new... then there is Alternative of any kind, then Jazz, then 30's Jazz, then 40's Jazz then Oldies, then, mmmmm.....well everything exept Polka, Old country, and any Rap/Hip hop music exept Will Smith, he's pretty good...

FdL
2007-03-01, 04:37 PM
Yeaaaah, I've listened to Basinsky's Disintegration Tapes. Amazing stuff. A bold artistic statement and a captivating one to boot. If I were the owner of a supermarket I'd put stuff like that on the muzak system...It'd be like the weirdest supermarket ever :D Like the one where Radiohead shop LOL (endless monotonous aisles etc, see Fake Plastic Trees)

Axl_Rose
2007-03-05, 05:47 PM
Current Fave: Muse

Old Fave for 5 years: Oasis

Close runner-ups in the past: Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith.

ArchiviesTheQua
2007-03-05, 08:20 PM
Killing Heidi.

'Nuff said.

FdL
2007-03-05, 11:01 PM
I've been lately drawn to ponder the importance of LUNA in the cool rock cosmos. Even though I still like Galaxie 500 better.

Amotis
2007-03-05, 11:12 PM
I remember when someone told me about Luna and called them a dream pop band. I was like okay, that sounds twee-ish. I was surprised how heavy it sounded. Though I've only heard a few songs of theirs.

Galaxie 500 is damn cool. For the longest time I thought the 80's had only crap bands. Boy was I wrong.

Right now I'm into the psy pop of the Elephant 6 Collective. Specifically The Olivia Tremor Control. Heck yes.

Haruspex
2007-03-05, 11:17 PM
Muse, System of a Down, Travis, Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Metallica.

That said, most of my favourite songs are from bands I never heard of and never hear from again. For example, Nightwish's Phantom of the Opera, Nine Day's If I am, and Janne da Arc's Gekkouka.

FdL
2007-03-06, 01:45 PM
I remember when someone told me about Luna and called them a dream pop band. I was like okay, that sounds twee-ish. I was surprised how heavy it sounded. Though I've only heard a few songs of theirs.

Galaxie 500 is damn cool. For the longest time I thought the 80's had only crap bands. Boy was I wrong.

Right now I'm into the psy pop of the Elephant 6 Collective. Specifically The Olivia Tremor Control. Heck yes.

I've been listening to their later albums and then I got the Best Of Luna, which is an excellent compilation, you should check that out. They have a dreampop thing, but they can belt rock-ish jams with the best of them. They have this urban, nocturnal, V.U. side to their sound which is the epitome of cool in my book. The "Penthouse" album is their classic. But as I've said, the compilation does a pretty good job.

Galaxie 500 was clearly one of those unique, irreplaceable bands that happen once in a lifetime. As with all the really creative music, they're beyond labels...Slowcore? Don't think so, they rock too much. Sadcore? Hardly. Dreampop? Maybe, but there's a lot of guitars squealing...Lo-fi? No, it's just they've made a new sound beyond what we know (with the help of Kramer). Inimitable, and all the praises they've got thanks to their reissues are nearly not enough.

Olivia Tremor Control, yeah! The first time I listened to Dusk At Cubist Castle I was amazed at what was coming to me through the earphones. The depth and complexity of their arrangements is wonderful, yet they have this natural pop sensibility. Geniuses! And the second album is better still. It's really interesting how they could probably write a straight pop album full of gems, but instead they take it only as part of what they can do. I mean, the Apples do it and often are uninteresting (though pop-effective).

Haven't listened enough to their post OTC projects Sunshine Fix and Circulatory System, but I think they're pretty cool too. And I listen periodically to the most psychedelic stuff from E6. Always an endless well of creativity and wonderful weirdness! ^^

Amotis
2007-03-06, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I'll be following those Elephant 6 cats the rest of their lives. I love how the dual songwriting thing works so damn well, experimental pop at it's best. The blend and balance between the two genres and how it walks the line so perfectly is great.

Heh, I don't like the Apples in the Stereo either. That's just such a huge label that even though I guess they're good, they just don't stand up to the giants like NMH, OTC, Beulah, Of Montreal, and those guys.

Sunshine Fix is pretty cool, though they lost the double songwriting effect and so it's pretty straightforward. Not to say they aren't good, just not OTC.

Sereno
2007-03-06, 03:03 PM
Four favorites in no particular order:

Flogging Molly
Evanescence
Great Big Sea
Metallica

FdL
2007-03-06, 05:43 PM
Actually, Apples In Stereo are pretty good. They have a couple of flawless retro-pop albums, gorgeous stuff (try "Tone Soul Evolution" or "The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone"). But more often than not they seem to be trying too hard, and so they fail. The worst you can do for an indie-pop song is trying too hard, IMHO :p

Of the first wave E6 bands, the one I've yet to listen to seriously is Beulah. I've heard some cool songs, but didn't think a lot of whatever album I tried to sit through (maybe it was just me).

You forgot Elf Power or haven't listened to them? They're really good, even their latest record is folkingly interesting. But when they do the semi-straight faced fuzz bass and guitar songs they rock plenty (see "The Winter Is Coming")

Amotis
2007-03-06, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I forgot elf power...

Dang it, I always leave someone epic out...

I don't own any Apples so that might be the problem : P

What do you think of TV On The Radio? Deerhoof? I'm having a hard time fully making up my mind on those bands...

FdL
2007-03-06, 08:18 PM
Haven't dipped my ears into neither yet. But they are great, according to my friends. I even have some loanable Deerhoof cds at close range. I actually remember listening to one, IIRC..."Apple O", probably.

I'm listening to the new *wink* Wilco album, it's pretty good. It's kinda subdued, like the last one. I don't know whether to think they have matured or if they've turned a very sophisticated plain rock band. But their stuff is always pretty good, the songwriting is solid. And right now, I'm listening to a mindblowing solo, in a song called "Impossible Germany", and suddenly I begin to understand...

Amotis
2007-03-06, 08:21 PM
WHAT?

*runs to find leaked version*

Yeah, it says they did it themselves. I like that.

Man, psyched about it. I hope Nels Cline is still on board, I love his playing.

edito - oh speaking of new albums, I just finished listening to Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. It's darker and nothing as epic as Wake Up, but it's cool.

FdL
2007-03-06, 08:54 PM
Yeahh! ^^

Nels Cline is still on board, and I'm glad about it. Honestly I only knew him from his time with The Geraldine Fibbers (great band BTW), but I'm learning that he's an amazing artist beyond any affiliation status. He fits the band's style nicely. But then again, he would probably make any band better.

Neon Bible is ok, only listened to it once but I kinda liked it. It's the sort of album that grows on you. The first album was more bombastic and extravagant, so was instantly likeable. I'll keep listening to it though, it seems to be worth it.

caolle
2007-03-07, 10:01 PM
Me say

Yeah Yeah yeahs
Distillers
Queens of the Stone Age
Foo fighters
hmmmm, im likin Hot Chip and the Gossip atm but 5 spot will have to got to ....Heaven 17 (Temptation being the greatest song ever!)

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-08, 05:03 AM
Skalds and Shadows, In A Gadda Da Vida, and The Edge eliminated all doubt in my mind. Blind Guardian is my uncontested favorite band.

2 Eyed Cyclops
2007-03-08, 05:43 AM
System of a down, Nightwish, Rob Zombie and Basshunter are my favorites.

Carnelian
2007-03-09, 06:22 PM
Currently the list includes Relient K, TFK, TobyMac (technically a solo act, but I don't care), and FM Static. I could never possibly narrow it down to one

Flawless
2007-03-13, 08:56 PM
Priest!
They have always been better than Maiden, they are better than Maiden and they will always be better than Maiden.

Bruce Dickinson's solo works are awesome though... as are Rob Halfords.

Scorpina
2007-03-13, 09:54 PM
Priest!
They have always been better than Maiden, they are better than Maiden and they will always be better than Maiden.

...tsk, piffle, say I!

...admittedly I prefer, say, Zeppelin or Sabbath, to either.

Missing off the first words of a bands name is cool. *throws horns*

Miarae
2007-03-13, 10:01 PM
Panic! at the Disco

FdL
2007-03-14, 10:29 PM
...tsk, piffle, say I!

...admittedly I prefer, say, Zeppelin or Sabbath, to either.

Missing off the first words of a bands name is cool. *throws horns*

Yeah, I like Trail of Dead :D

Erloas
2007-03-14, 10:45 PM
Well I'm only like 6 months late to this thread... but anyway.

Its hard to pick between Pink Floyd and Jethrol Tull. I really like them both but they are different enough to be hard to really compare. It depends a lot on my mood. I would have to pick Floyd by a small margin just because I've been listening to them for longer and own (usually through gifts) more of their merchandise.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-15, 07:59 AM
Currently, it is old style Eric Clapton. Because the man was a genius in his prime, if a bit less so now.

Also King Crimson. I never thought that I would find a guitarist better than Clapton, and I found it. He is a sixty year old, and an incredible guitarist by the name of Robert Fripp.

Brettoe
2007-03-15, 09:10 AM
Queen! Led Zepplin! they are my favorite bands....and.....wierd al:smallsmile:

Amotis
2007-03-15, 12:10 PM
Currently, it is old style Eric Clapton. Because the man was a genius in his prime, if a bit less so now.

Also King Crimson. I never thought that I would find a guitarist better than Clapton, and I found it. He is a sixty year old, and an incredible guitarist by the name of Robert Fripp.

Umm...told you.

Clapton is okay. I'm pissed off/laughing at him for kinda starting that *devil horns* "GOD OF GUITTTARRR!!! YuHHHHH!!" sorta thing that's extending into modern music now, but Cream was a damn good blues band. Awesome drummer too. Clapton started going downhill once he left.

Scorpina
2007-03-15, 01:00 PM
...Cream also had an excellent bassist. Anyone who doesn't love Jack Bruce is a kitten-murderer.

Amotis
2007-03-15, 01:04 PM
Cream was a supergroup of all those british underground blues revival stuff. So of course everyone of their members was rocking the roots of the building off. Heck, I would even go to say there was hardly another band with as much talents shoved into so few members until fusion's Return to Forever.

FdL
2007-03-15, 01:35 PM
Yeah, Cream were something special. And yes, Clapton became boring fast after that. Today his work is sleep-inducing at best (regardless if he's trying to rock).

Amotis
2007-03-15, 03:48 PM
I don't really like Damien Rice (he's a bit too poppy/produced folk for me) but I am listening to his Abbey Road sessions with this awesome female vocalist with him, and it's pretty cool. Rootless Tree is an awesome song. I've never heard someone drop the f bomb so beautiful since Belle And Sebastian.

FdL
2007-03-15, 06:48 PM
Nice, the other girl a librarian girl who was listening to Isobel & Lanegan's record recommended me Damien Rice. I'll check it out.

It's so great to find that a pretty girl listens to cool music and knows her stuff :) It's such a turn on for me ^^

I'm listening to the latest Low record, Drums & Guns. I like that they are somehow back to their game, spare, somber, slow. But it does sound new, and wolderful as ever.

Amotis
2007-03-15, 06:51 PM
I actually wouldn't really recommend him...(sorry tm) but that one song from the Abbey Roads session is gold.

Wha? Haha I was just talking about that one. Pitchfork got a review up on it and so I'd though I'd might look into it. I've always liked their silent kinda style so it should good.

Edito - haha yeah I was just talking to my friends about that. They called me shallow...but hey, it's my life.

FdL
2007-03-15, 07:15 PM
I actually wouldn't really recommend him...(sorry tm) but that one song from the Abbey Roads session is gold.

Oh...And is that an official album or just an unreleased recording?

Wha? Haha I was just talking about that one. Pitchfork got a review up on it and so I'd though I'd might look into it. I've always liked their silent kinda style so it should good.

Yeah, me too. I usually get the jump on new records by my favorite bands like a mile away, but this one sneaked on me. The last I heard was Alan Sparhawk had this nervous breakdown and I read the harrowing account he posted in their website. It made me so sad back then.

Edito - haha yeah I was just talking to my friends about that. They called me shallow...but hey, it's my life.

About what? Sorry :p I tend to do this after-edit thing and then I miss what's being said :D

Amotis
2007-03-15, 07:21 PM
I've only found it on youtube. I think it'll be released when Abbey Road studio releases all of those sessions (which should be cool, Massive Attack did one).

Damien Rice's Rootless Tree (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xlnpedLeGbo)

Heh, it's not total awesome, but I love it.

And yeah, I heard about that. It happens too often with artists, which is kinda sad. Oh, and the edit was to your edit about looping music taste into attractiveness.

edito - oh do you have a list of all the bands you like? not asking you to type one out (that would take me forever and a day) but if you had like a master record list of what you had I would love to see it.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-03-15, 07:40 PM
http://imagegen.last.fm/oby/oartists/CatchParadox.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/CatchParadox/?chartstyle=oby)

I'm the guy that smiles at the guy wearing the "your band sucks" shirt. Sometimes I give him a high-five.

You, good sir, have awesome taste in music. Judging by the bands you have on there, you'd probably also like Suburban Legends, which is a friggin awsome ska band that's starting to get a good following. Also, The Forces of Evil has RBF's lead singer and is a ton like RBF. Oooh, and the Planet SMashers is another awesome ska band which is like modernized first and second wave ska. :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-03-15, 08:28 PM
Sure! I love to list the bands I like. The problem is there's so many of them I'll probably leave many out. But here it goes, off the top of my head. In no particular order (but it probably has a subconscious meaning):

Throwing Muses
Kristin Hersh
Belly
Tanya Donelly
Pixies
The Breeders
R.E.M.
Yo La Tengo
Feelies
Wilco
Uncle Tupelo
Son Volt
The Jayhawks
Tarnation / Paula Frazer
Galaxie 500
Luna
Damon & Naomi
Guided By Voices
Sebadoh
Dinosaur Jr.
Smog
Spoon
Elliott Smith
Helium
Radiohead
Cranes
Joy Division
Leonard Cohen
Blake Babies
Juliana Hatfield
Sonic Youth
My Bloody Valentine
Lush
The Jesus & Mary Chain
Low
Red House Painters
His Name Is Alive
Cocteau Twins
Slowdive
Mojave 3
Camper Van Beethoven
The dB's
Chris Stamey
Let's Active
The Byrds
Big Star
Neil Young
The Velvet Underground
Television
The Beatles
The Who
The Kinks
Bob Dylan
The Soft Boys
Belle & Sebastian
Heavenly
Death Cab For Cutie
Come
Wire
Buzzcocks
The Muffs
Fastbacks
Gang of Four
Mission of Burma
The Replacements
Minutemen
Hüsker Dü
Meat Puppets
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
The New Pornographers
Teenage Fanclub
Sloan
Violent Femmes
The Pastels
Beat Happening
Ida
Tsunami
Scrawl (not the crappy ska-punk band but the awesome indie girl band)
The Geraldine Fibbers
Sleater-Kinney
Quasi
Built To Spill
Superchunk
Modest Mouse
Versus
Game Theory
Slint
The Go-Betweens
Camper Van Beethoven
Cracker
The Bats
The Clean
The Verlaines
Cat Power
Smog
Sparklehorse
Le Mans
Young Marble Giants
The Modern Lovers
Jonathan Richman
Fugazi
Scheer
Stereolab
Fairport Convention
Eleventh Dream Day
Freakwater
Meat Puppets
Unrest
Lisa Germano
Swell
Grandaddy
XTC
X
The B-52's
Pylon
P.I.L.
The Softies
Pedro The Lion
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Matthew Sweet
Mazzy Star
The Apples in Stereo
Elf Power
Olivia Tremor Control
The Shins
Of Montreal
The Essex Green
The Ladybug Transistor
The Sixth Great Lake
Thee Headcoats et al
Holly Golightly
Pavement
Bonnie "Prince" Billie
The Fall
PJ Harvey
Fountains Of Wayne
The Gun Club
Neko Case
The Auteurs
Black Box Recorder
The Dream Syndicate
Steve Wynn
Antietam
Sleeper
The High Llamas
Tortoise
Love
Gram Parsons
Barbara Manning

...aaand I'm beginning to have to think about it, so let's end it there for now ;)
Yeah, I do realize some name juxtapositions are just brutal. Isn't that great? ^^

About finding someone of the opposite sex attractive because of her/his taste in music, well for me it's something big. you know, music is very important for me and it's wonderful to be able to share my taste with someone (haven't had that luck yet). Besides, I find the brain to be sexiest part in a woman. And I dare say sexual attraction is just a mind game, so it adds up.

I don't think that's shallow at all, in fact I think it's the other way around. I don't know, to me music is about feelings, about expression of invisible things, and it's great to be able to connect at that level, songs are after all objects made of emotions and ideas.

Amotis
2007-03-15, 08:39 PM
Holy poo poo...thanks. Hehe, yeah some of those next to each other is funny. I wanted a list because I'm running out of bands to look up and I knew you would name a lot that I don't know. And I was right, heh.

Yeah, well I've met some lame people who like the same music (to be fair it was the more hipster bands...) but yeah, I get your point. Rare though, I've only met a few people into good music.

Kay, now to start on the list.

FdL
2007-03-15, 08:53 PM
Great! Hope you find a lot of new music you like ;) I'll be looking forward to read your list.

You know, it's kinda tough to make these lists. I knew this would happen, but now I'm remembering names that should be there and aren't :D Like the Manic Street Preachers...Oh, well, I'll probably come up with lots of them :p

I've never met a girl that I liked and had a lot in common with musically. It's a shame, because it would be great.

Amotis
2007-03-15, 09:00 PM
Heh, feel free to add as I continue with it. I love finding good stuff.

My list? Oh my...that's gonna be hard...I might even throw some classical in there to screw with you ; )

Heh, but yeah, thanks again. It's really hard to make those kinda lists. I remember a game I used to play was "make your perfect concert, who would you invite?"

FdL
2007-03-15, 09:10 PM
Performing artists or someone to share it with? It depends...a lot!! Company does add to the enjoyment, it's not the same dragging a friend or girlfriend that comes with you but doesn't know/enjoy the band. Sharing a special musical moment with someone with whom you have a strong affective link must be amazing...

As to the actual performer...I still dream of seeing Kristin Hersh live. It might be too much for my little heart though :p I'd probably be overwhelmed.

Don't work too hard on it, I'm going to love your list anyway :) Do include classical stuff, I'll give it a try. It's not too late to be cultivated ;)

Amotis
2007-03-15, 09:17 PM
Heh, I never thought about the share part. I've only been to one concert with a significant other. It was a hellaofa concert though (I was screaming "let Jonny sing!"...guess who it was :P) . The rest have just been friends or alone. I don't really mind cause sometime you get along great with strangers. Depends on the concert, the small ones are uber fun and really mindblowing. Especially with those neo/acid folk artists that do the whole nine yards and theres a total immersion level and everything. Music festivals I just get lost and have fun.

Iono, I just remember hearing about one concert that had a concert (that might of never happened but it could of!) with Slint and Will Oldham (they knew each other for some reason...) and that just blew my mind. What? Epic artists right there. Iono, I just like thinking of the win all concert.

Man...but lists are hard. I don't wanna leave anyone out...

FdL
2007-03-15, 09:56 PM
I actually don't go to a lot of concerts because the local scene usually blows. But every now and then some cool indie band comes and it's great. I regret not being able to see Luna because I was down with flu.

Anyway, it's cool to meet people and share the experience with people who love the music even if they are strangers, but like going to the cinema, it's nice to have someone along.

I'm thinking I would definitely take a date to a record store. Sadly, all there is are those nightmarish superstores where you can't possibly find any cool stuff :s

Jonny who? Excuse me but I'm feeling a little sleepy and this seems to affect synapse :D Greenwood?

Slint and Will Oldham!!!! WOOOOW! That would be one hell of a show. Wouldn't surprise me if Oldham knew the guys from Slint, after all they're both legends and he plays with many musicians, he's really open and creative.

(What's Iono?)

Amotis
2007-03-15, 10:02 PM
(Iono is I don't know slurred together.)

Heh, yeah Jonny Greenwood. It was Radiohead and it was awesome. ****ing awesome.

And yeah, I know Will took that cover album picture of when they're underwater. He really does know a lot of artists and has some of the best back up bands I've ever seen. Ben Chasny, Matt Sweeney, Andrew WK, his brothers, etc.

Kay, I started on my list. It's just "indie" artists right now so basically 1990 and forward. I tapped into some old and some jazz and fusion...but my mind begin to hurt so I limited myself. Classical I'll get to you later. I'm missing a lot and probably repeated some too (I'm sleepy too) but yeah...think of it as a random outline of things I like. PS I like how we name our favorite artist first, haha.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, Bob Dylan, Mogwai, Jeff Buckley, Elliot Smith, Andrew Bird, Kristin Hersh, Six Organs of Admittance, Flying Canyon, Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice, The Child Readers, The Ivytree, Thuja, The Skygreen Leopards, The Raven Choir, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beruit, Devendra Banhart, The Doors, Centro-Matic, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, The Album Leaf, Laura, Do Make Say Think, Spoon, Books, The New Pornographers, Jesus and The Mary Chain, The Jesus Lizard, Jana Hunter, TV on the Radio, Massive Attack, Talk Talk, Sigur Ros, The Microphones, My Brightest Diamond, Verdure, Leonard Cohen, Belle and Sebastian, Godspeed You! Black Emporer, The Besnard Lakes, Luna, Jonna Newsom, Peter Bjorn and John, Tim Hecker, Califone, Grizzly Bear, Scott Walker (new), Band of Horses, Liars, The Knife, Low, Sunn O))), Pavement, Malkmus, Art Brut (hells yea!), Architecture in Helsinki, The Mountain Goats, Bloc Party, Antony and the Johnsons, Fiery Furnaces, Bright Eyes, Castanets, Iron and Wine, Philip Jeck, Air, Of Monteal, Shins, Wrens, Grandaddy, Fog, Cat Power, Songs: Ohia, Supersilent, Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley, Slint, Hectic Watermelon, John Coletrain, Paul Desmond, Earl Hines, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Red House Painters, Arbouretum, Kan Mikami, Charalambides,Anomoanon, Marissa Nadler, !!!, Arctic Monkeys, Red Sparrows, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, California Guitar Trio, G3, Comets On Fire, Mountain Home, Current 93, Staples, Dixie Dregs, Edan, Cage, Common, Fennesz, Guided By Voices, Silver Jews, Six Organs of Admittance, Amon Tobin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Return To Forever, The Wrens, Yo La Tengo, Chavez, The Shins, Camera Obscure, Fiery Furnaces, Build to Spill, Feist, Tapes 'n Tapes, Xiu Xiu, Peaches, Sonic Youth, VU, Bunyan, Bell Orchestre, New Pornographers, The Unicorns, The Books, Interpol, Blonde Redhead, Imperial Teen, Explosions in the Sky, Les Savy Fav, Twilight Sad, Dismemberment Plan, Polyphonic Spree, Jandek, anddddd.......

FdL
2007-03-15, 10:14 PM
WOW! Amazing list! Many stuff there that I forgot myself!

You realize that with this list I have at least a whole year of new music to research and discuss with you? :D To me that's a great gift, so thanks a lot, Amotis. I'll start asking you about the ones who made me curious right away.
Tomorrow. Now it's bed and nighty-night ;)

Amotis
2007-03-15, 10:18 PM
Seriously though, I need to covert your list to like check list format.

Well night then, the lists should overlap quite a bit I think, though your scene view is a bit more wider then mine so I probably know less of yours.

Forthork
2007-03-16, 10:08 PM
Well, if I had to choose one, right now it would be Trivium. Any band with music that good, and has a cover of Master of Puppets better than the origional is a winner in my book. Nekrogoblikon (http://myspace.com/nekrogoblikon) is a close second, I can't wait to see how they are once they mature. I listen to almost anything metal or rock, mostly Metallica, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Beatallica (http://myspace.com/beatallica), Nile, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Nirvana, etc.

Amotis
2007-03-16, 10:10 PM
Hahahahaa....holy poo. I'm listening to Beatallica. Bwahahaha....

Good find my friend, good find...

FdL
2007-03-16, 10:32 PM
Yeaah, Beatallica made me laugh so hard back when I found their stuff :D

I heard they were kind of harassed due to copyright issues, which is just sad (in a "pathetic realization of the state of the music industry" kind of way).

You made me want to listen to some Sufjan, Amotis. Now I'm in Bonnie "Prince" Billy's "I See A Darkness".

Amotis
2007-03-16, 10:37 PM
Sufjan is cool. I wanted to see him when he was touring with My Brightest Diamond but I never got to.

AND EVERYONE SHOULD BE IN BONNIE'S I SEE A DARKNESS!!! EVERYONE!!! EVEN DEAD PEOPLEZ!!!

...yeah...I love him too much. But seriously...I love his voice. Love it to the max.

Random super skill link! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk). Heh, did it hurt?

FdL
2007-03-16, 11:39 PM
Super skill indeed! Pretty awesome to behold. I kinda liked what she's playing, it's interesting. Thanks for the link.

I plan to listen to more Bonnie tomorrow...I recall I really like his Ease Down The Road and Master And Everyone albums, they were the first I heard of him. Also I have a date with 69 Love Songs. The problem with pre-scheduling music to hear is that maybe when the time comes my mood has changed and I feel like listening to something totally different. Now for example I have a serious craving for the Manic Street Preacher's "Holy Bible"...

Amotis
2007-03-16, 11:42 PM
Palace's Viva Last Blues is also rock too. New Partner is epic.

Yah, I know what you mean. Usually I hit shuffle until something comes up that catches my ear/mood and I go find that artist and it's album.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-18, 12:43 PM
I'm relistening more and more of the post-Ozzy Black Sabbath albums, especially the Dio stuff (since I'll see that particular Sabbath incarnation, by far their best, in a week's time :) ) and "The Eternal Idol" (since, well, it's awesome! And I'm kinda hoping they'll do a tour with the Martin era lineup later one, like they're doing with the Dio lineup now). Brilliant albums, all of them, and amazing singers, too. Love their atmospheres :)

doliemaster
2007-03-18, 12:58 PM
The top of the list....Queen best band evur.
Runner up....Probably blue oster cult
Third...AcDc
Favorite song
Masters of War

Though I'd like to note I write songs[not professionly just as a hobby].

ElHugo
2007-03-18, 01:40 PM
Yay, music!

Personally, I can't name a single favourite band, but the following get a lot of playtime for me:

The 69 Eyes - capturing the melancholic feel of Goth in energetic rock, they are the awesome.

Disturbed - simple, angry, and bulging with pure energy. Music that makes you want to sing/dance/jump

The Cruxshadows - dancable, with a somehow mysterious feeling, good vocals, and the violins. Everybody <3 the violins, right?

Hammerfall - Cheesy power metal ftw. Sometimes, just making you feel good is enough to make a band cool.

Others that get credit for being cool:
Dream Theater
Ayreon
Iron Maiden
Evanescence
VNV Nation
Covenant
Megadeath
Star One (definitely not-well-known-enough go check it out!)
Ayreon (see above)
AC/DC
Nightwish
The Sisters of Mercy

And I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty. Overall, either spooky bleepyness, or assorted metal with a touch of rock

Actually, I hope this isn't going off-topic, but is it just me, or does the gaming/fantasy crowd on the average attract a relatively large population of metal and other darkling enthusiast? Hmm, one more reason to have the love for it

FdL
2007-03-18, 01:59 PM
Actually, I hope this isn't going off-topic, but is it just me, or does the gaming/fantasy crowd on the average attract a relatively large population of metal and other darkling enthusiast? Hmm, one more reason to have the love for it

Yes, I've noticed that. I personally don't like that style of music, and have yet to find the connection between these two niches. Other than the LOTR obsessed themes that seem to permeate some symphonic metal exponents, that is.

Hoggy
2007-03-18, 05:45 PM
El Hugo, I like yo style dawg. Can't wait to see 'Maiden/Dream Theatre/Megadeth at download in June :smallcool:

Anyways, finally got round to buying The Mantle by Agalloch, 'tis awesome. Thanks for pointing them out, SotS if you're reading this, one of my favourite bands at the mo. Along with Insomnium.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-19, 01:08 AM
No problem. All of my friends love them- they are an incredible experimental band.

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-20, 04:11 AM
Anyone down with the nerdcore?

Kiero
2007-03-20, 04:58 AM
Bonobo. Closest thing to a "band" I like.

Vaynor
2007-03-20, 07:51 PM
Since the last time I posted here, my interests have... fluctuated.

Talking Heads
The Cars
The Cat Empire
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Dishwalla
Monty Python (if they sing, they're a band!)
Jonathan Coulton

FdL
2007-03-20, 07:59 PM
Since the last time I posted here, my interests have... fluctuated.

Talking Heads
*snip*
Monty Python (if they sing, they're a band!)

Um, I don't know if they can be considered as a band. But they make cool stuff anyway. Check out their pal Neil Innes' "The Rutles". An essential listen for every Beatles fan (have you checked it out, Amotis?)

I've been getting into "The Name of the Band Is Talking Heads" live album, it's great! (I know I'm not saying anything new :p)

Vaynor
2007-03-20, 11:22 PM
Um, I don't know if they can be considered as a band. But they make cool stuff anyway. Check out their pal Neil Innes' "The Rutles". An essential listen for every Beatles fan (have you checked it out, Amotis?)

I've been getting into "The Name of the Band Is Talking Heads" live album, it's great! (I know I'm not saying anything new :p)

I was mostly joking. I do own two of their albums however, and they do contain songs. :smallwink:

I've seen The Rutles, it's awesome.

I have Fear of Music, Little Creatures, Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues, and Talking Heads 77.

FdL
2007-03-21, 01:42 PM
I know I need to see the live film "Stop Making Sense", by Jonathan Demme. They say this is really good and I believe it. It's one of the milestones of filmed live concerts, actually I feel a little embarassed when I realize I've ignored classics like these :p

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-21, 02:07 PM
Radiohead. That's probably my fav band, followed closely by Modest Mouse and REM.

Amotis
2007-03-21, 02:08 PM
Good choices I suppose. But I strongly recommend using those stand point bands as spring boards into more experimental and diverse music.

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-22, 12:08 PM
Good choices I suppose. But I strongly recommend using those stand point bands as spring boards into more experimental and diverse music.

Experimental and diverse?
I thought this was a favorite band thread, not an indie wank fest over who can pretend to like the most obscure band with only an EP out on an exgirlfriend's brother's friend's label that's now defunct.

Amotis
2007-03-22, 12:28 PM
Heh, okay man, no one's making ya. And the only one stopping you is you.

Scorpina
2007-03-22, 01:25 PM
Experimental and diverse?
I thought this was a favorite band thread, not an indie wank fest over who can pretend to like the most obscure band with only an EP out on an exgirlfriend's brother's friend's label that's now defunct.

I'm generalising I know, but isn't that the whole appeal of Radiohead? To make it look like you're into less mainstream music than you really are?

Or do you actually like the music? Because that would just be weird...

ElfLad
2007-03-22, 01:46 PM
Preach it, brother! Opinions different from my own frighten and confuse me! [/sarcasm]

I mean, I don't even listen to Radiohead, but is it really necessary to get on his back if he likes them?

The most obscure band I like is probably The Slip, I guess.

Although The Twice-Destroyed Construct is pretty cool, too. Swiss mechani-punk FTW.

FdL
2007-03-22, 01:48 PM
I was thinking along those lines when the couple last albums came out. I mean, when Kid A came out I must confess I didn't get it.
Regardless of the post by "Tor The Fallen", I have the impression that is not something people would listen to or accept so readily if it didn't bear the name Radiohead. I mean, theres plenty of artists who were/are doing similar or better things in that vein and don't sell millions. It's interesting if you think about it.

It can be compared with what happened with the most experimental stuff by the Beatles. Would people have embraced it so readily (I don't really know about their "mainstream" commercial impact at the time) if it wasn't from the already succesful Beatles everybody loved?
It must be noted that although there was an "alternative" musical current in the 60's (see Velvets et al), rock culture itself was the alternative to the mainstream, especially the more far out psychedelic stuff.

Edit: No one's getting extra points for obscurity here. And no one said anything like that. Seems like people are a little oversensitive all around and interpret comments in the worst way :S

Amotis
2007-03-22, 02:12 PM
Seriously, I get like attacked/insulted on the street for liking the music I do. Apparently people take music more personally then even I, which is a feat all in itself.

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-22, 03:10 PM
I'm generalising I know, but isn't that the whole appeal of Radiohead? To make it look like you're into less mainstream music than you really are?

What's the whole appeal of Radiohead?

Again, does the title of the thread read "Who can name the most obscure band?"

I like obscure music, but not because it's obscure. It just so happens that half of all people are below average, and almost seven tenths of all people are mediocre. It follows, then, that popular music tends to be either below average or mediocre.

Bands tend to be ephermeral. How many bands can you name that are still around since the 80s? 70s? A handful. In order for a band to qualify for my favorite list, it needs more than one album. It needs more than 2 great songs and 4 really good songs. It needs to span more than one mood. It needs to show growth, refinement, change.

And in order for that to happen, the band needs to last through the same sort of stuff that ends friendship and breaks marriage. My favorite bands tend to be at least a decade old. They're like wine. They age well.

Perhaps you could explain to me why something as personal as musical taste is a popularity issue for you?

Dragor
2007-03-22, 03:21 PM
omg someone else knows who Nightwish is! Are you from the UK?

my top 5 bands

1) Nightwish
2) Gorillaz
3) Greenday
4) Sublime
5) Nobuo Uematsu

6) The Bags

Didn't see this until I started scanning this thread again. Yeah, I'm from the UK, they're more popular over here than people would have you believe.

Amotis
2007-03-22, 03:30 PM
Could you explain to me why something as personal as musical taste is a popularity issue for you?

No, it's more like being accused as a snob by people who don't know you. Or because you drop a band name. Obscurity apparently correlates to other things besides obscurity. Huh.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-03-22, 03:33 PM
My Current Top 50 in no particular order:
Disciple, Dead Poetic, Demon Hunter, Anberlin, After the Tragedy, Brave Saint Saturn, Five Iron Frenzy, thirtysecondstomars, Boys like Girls, Death Cab for Cutie, Lucerin Blue, Mat Kearney, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, MXPX, Snow Patrol, Relient K, Evanescence, Sanctus Real, Skillet, Subseven, Switchfoot, Thousand Foot Krutch, They Might Be Giants, My Chemical Romance, Nora Jones, Coldplay, Underoath, Flyleaf, Emery, AFI, the 77s, James Blunt, The Choir, Rise Against, Mainstay, Coldplay, Iron and Wine, Imogen Heap, Fallout Boy, Jack Johnson, A Perfect Circle, Count the Stars, Blue October, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin, Showbread, As Cities Burn, Papa Roach

How's that for diversity?

FdL
2007-03-22, 04:23 PM
What's the whole appeal of Radiohead?

Again, does the title of the thread read "Who can name the most obscure band?"

I like obscure music, but not because it's obscure. It just so happens that half of all people are below average, and almost seven tenths of all people are mediocre. It follows, then, that popular music tends to be either below average or mediocre.

Bands tend to be ephermeral. How many bands can you name that are still around since the 80s? 70s? A handful. In order for a band to qualify for my favorite list, it needs more than one album. It needs more than 2 great songs and 4 really good songs. It needs to span more than one mood. It needs to show growth, refinement, change.

And in order for that to happen, the band needs to last through the same sort of stuff that ends friendship and breaks marriage. My favorite bands tend to be at least a decade old. They're like wine. They age well.

Perhaps you could explain to me why something as personal as musical taste is a popularity issue for you?

Sorry to butt in, but does this all actually come from her suggesting you listen to "more experimental and diverse music"?

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-22, 04:28 PM
Sorry to butt in, but does this all actually come from her suggesting you listen to "more experimental and diverse music"?

No.
That came from her claiming I listen to Radiohead to make it look like I'm not into mainstream music.

FdL
2007-03-22, 04:36 PM
No.
That came from her claiming I listen to Radiohead to make it look like I'm not into mainstream music.

I get you and I are referring to different persons with the pronoun "her".

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-22, 04:41 PM
I get you and I are referring to different persons with the pronoun "her".

Since you're butting in, perhaps you could go back and read who responded to what posted by who?

There's also a little gender icon next to each post. That may help you with gender confusion- it's even color coded if you can't remember whose arrow is supposed to point which direction.

FdL
2007-03-22, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that I know. And I see also that the problem is that you are replying to everyone with the same defensive attitude, when the one who posted the comment you didn't like hasn't replied yet.
I'd also recommend you for the sake of this amicable discussion that you tone down the sarcasm/passive agression quota. Nobody is against anyone else here, don't take comments as personal ;) Besides, I like R.E.M. a lot too.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-03-22, 05:04 PM
C'mon! No one is going to comment on my obscurity and eccentricity? I feel sad now. :smallfrown:

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-22, 05:07 PM
Yes, I've noticed that. I personally don't like that style of music, and have yet to find the connection between these two niches. Other than the LOTR obsessed themes that seem to permeate some symphonic metal exponents, that is.

Well, the connection is huge. Aside from at least 80 % of Power Metal bands, especially the European style but not exclusively so, having fantasy themes in lyrics as well as in sound, and Viking and Folk Metal being by their very definition not far off from the theme, there's plenty of bands across the metal spectrum, with the exception of most Thrash and Death Metal acts, that at least at times either have outright fantasy lyrics or at least a very fantasy-esque atmosphere. Even the big traditional bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath have gone there plenty of times (see "Dreamer Deceiver" as Priest's most blatant and also brilliant example, "Revelations" and the entire "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album" by Maiden, "Heaven and Hell" and all Martin era albums by Sabbath for examples), as have hundreds of more obscure acts. Plus for what admittedly little I know about Black Metal, it's pretty big in that subgenre too - Tolkien of all things especially.

zeratul
2007-03-22, 05:10 PM
Besides, I like R.E.M. a lot too.

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplaines
Lenny Bruce is not afraid..........

Vaynor
2007-03-23, 12:26 AM
My Current Top 50 in no particular order:
Disciple, Dead Poetic ... Five Iron Frenzy ... As Cities Burn, Papa Roach

How's that for diversity?

I forgot about them! Oh and 7 Seconds of Love.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-23, 12:52 AM
Heavy Metal-All that Remains/Ablaze my Sorrows
Metal-Rammstien
"Punk"-Tsunami Bomb
"Emo"-Coheed and Cambria
Amusing- They might be giants

Darius Midnite
2007-03-23, 07:26 AM
Heavy Metal - Korn, Metallica, CKY
Punk - Sex Pistols.
Rock - Led Zeppelin, Kashmir, The White Stripes
Grunge - Nirvana, Pearl Jam
Pop Rock - Gorillaz, Dizzy Mizz Lizzy
Stoney Musik - Pink Floyd
Love Metal - H I M
Death Metal - Slayer, In flames, Children of Bodom

V: Well la-ti-da.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-23, 09:28 AM
Slayer isn't death metal. They are thrash metal. Sorry for being anal, but it annoys me when people confuse genres (such as when i am listening to Neofolk outloud and people call me emo)

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-23, 04:52 PM
Slayer isn't death metal. They are thrash metal. Sorry for being anal, but it annoys me when people confuse genres (such as when i am listening to Neofolk outloud and people call me emo)

Fair enough, but their early works (pre-Reign in Blood) can certainly be considered proto-Death Metal.

The other two, on the other hand, are way off. In Flames is Melodeath which does not even vaguely resemble actual Death Metal, and Children of Bodom is Flower Metal.

FdL
2007-03-23, 06:35 PM
I like the name Melodeath :D It's funny what names they can come up to describe music subgenres.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 06:38 PM
I have huge beef with the naming of the metal genre dubbed neoclassical. And a smaller beef with post-rock but I can't think of anything better. So post-rock it is.

FdL
2007-03-23, 06:47 PM
Sure, I understand the thing with Neoclassical, for obvious reasons.

With post-rock the thing is it's a highly dubious label. Because, what does it designate, other than Tortoise and their Chicago friends? If you think about it, it's empty of descriptive content. Post-rock, what comes after rock or what is beyond it. But what it is? How does it sound? :s
I once read someone calling Stereolab post-rock :s
At best it's a broad, vague label as "rock".

Amotis
2007-03-23, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I've always heard Stereolab as an early post rock.

Iono, it's just that post-rock should be hugely trying to separate and doubt and remove itself from the rock that was before it. It does, in it's ways, but not totally. It shouldn't be a genre, it should be a general movement. The bands called post-rock now could be grouped into a genre. They have enough tendencies to be. Unlike something like postmodern music, where you have things like Serialism and minimalism and aleatoric music and such, all genres all under the name of postmodern. Post rock, as it's known now, could be put under the designation post rock but it shouldn't BE post rock. It could be like introspective-long-melodicdronedriven-usingguitarinnonrockways-etc genre. But I don't think it's postrock. It's too conforming and doesn't align with the other movements of "post."

Nightmarenny
2007-03-23, 07:03 PM

Iono, it's just that post-rock should be hugely trying to separate and doubt and remove itself from the rock that was before it. It does, in it's ways, but not totally. It shouldn't be a genre, it should be a general movement. The bands called post-rock now could be grouped into a genre. They have enough tendencies to be. Unlike something like postmodern music, where you have things like Serialism and minimalism and aleatoric music and such, all genres all under the name of postmodern. Post rock, as it's known now, could be put under the designation post rock but it shouldn't BE post rock. It could be like introspective-long-melodicdronedriven-usingguitarinnonrockways-etc genre. But I don't think it's postrock. It's too conforming and doesn't align with the other movements of "post."I have a beef with all these labels. When someone asks what I like I say rock. Unless they want to get into specific bands, that enough. I mean really is there enough a difference
Between any of the metal genres? Emo or Pop-punk or Punk? If anything is contributing to bands sounding alot its this growing fear among people that if they do anything differently they will become another genre.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 07:08 PM
What all labels? I named one; post rock.

And yeah, rock is really really varied. Very. Fats Domingo and Deerhoof. David Bowie and Amon Tobin. Silver Jews and Simon and Garfunkel. Green Day and Andrew Bird. Panic? At the Disco and Beirut (ow that one hurt). Candlebox and Damien Rice.

FdL
2007-03-23, 07:10 PM

Yeah, now that you make me think about it, could be. Moreso with their later records...

Iono, it's just that post-rock should be hugely trying to separate and doubt and remove itself from the rock that was before it. It does, in it's ways, but not totally. It shouldn't be a genre, it should be a general movement. The bands called post-rock now could be grouped into a genre. They have enough tendencies to be. Unlike something like postmodern music, where you have things like Serialism and minimalism and aleatoric music and such, all genres all under the name of postmodern. Post rock, as it's known now, could be put under the designation post rock but it shouldn't BE post rock. It could be like introspective-long-melodicdronedriven-usingguitarinnonrockways-etc genre. But I don't think it's postrock. It's too conforming and doesn't align with the other movements of "post."

It's more like "(post)Rock". It aims to other things, feeds from influences not typical for rock, and sounds different mos of the time but it's still within the (highly flexible) boundaries of rock.

Speaking of post-rock, have you heard Trans Am? I liked a couple of records of theirs.

Nightmarenny
2007-03-23, 07:50 PM
What all labels? I named one; post rock.

And yeah, rock is really really varied. Very. Fats Domingo and Deerhoof. David Bowie and Amon Tobin. Silver Jews and Simon and Garfunkel. Green Day and Andrew Bird. Panic? At the Disco and Beirut (ow that one hurt). Candlebox and Damien Rice.Then I said I hated all of them. Yes rock is varied but saying rock still gets the point across more then naming a bunch of badly(and yet ridgedly) defined terms.

FdL
2007-03-23, 08:04 PM
The problem is when your interlocutor has a different idea of what rock is than yours. And though it's obviously an encompassing term, it's often not the best description for the music of some artists.

Labels are still just attemps at describing things.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 08:11 PM
No...but I am totally addicted to Hammock right now. Been a post-rock ambiance mood for a while and Hammock are untouchable gods. They're really one of those bands I can really say "damn, I wish I released that music..."

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-24, 07:21 AM
I mean really is there enough a difference
Between any of the metal genres?

Try listening to Sonata Arctica, then Iron Maiden, then Obituary, and you'll see the difference :smallwink:

I personally have a huge and irrational hatred for any "post-whatever" labels. Mostly because I was never able to get anyone to give me a decent explanation for what in almighty Dio's name they mean.

Meanwhile, for the question of "What's your favorite band", these folks here are easily top five for me:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3LYipKH_oOs

Amotis
2007-03-24, 02:53 PM
They don't mean much. But their origins do mostly.

Simon Reynolds of The Wire described it as ""using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords" in his review of his review of some old british post-rock band, Bark Psychosis.

In retrospect, post-rock varies a lot. From huge influences of classical, jazz, ambient, and folk, as well as touching on the many of styles of rock. Going even so far in some cases to include free jazz, found sounds, and musique concrete. Vocals are sometimes used but more as an instrument of their own. Pieces are usually wider works and usually include long instrumental songs that repeat an musical motive or theme through various textures and dynamics. Very much like classical music. But it varies quite a bit. Some post-rock bands are more rock then others, some more ambient, some more classical, some more shoegazer, etc. It's a wide genre.

Post-metal is basically metal done in a kinda post-rock style. I'll go so far to say they're less experimental then some post-rock bands because of the "metal" they like to use in their sound while post-rock bands don't really care. Post-metal is probably worse (name wise) then post-rock as almost all of them could be put in a genre. It really doesn't deserve the post moniker and they all could but named doom, am, or progressive metal.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-24, 06:58 PM
I prefer the term experimetal.

Oh, and I must say, there are large differences between related genres. Death metal and doom metal, for example. Death metal is generally medium-high speed with a lot of emphasis on rhythm and death grunting. Doom metal is nice and slow, focusing on the atmosphere and the melody.

Hell, punk and pop-punk are glaringly different. Punk is anti-corporate, wish to fix the wrongs in society and angry, which flows into the music in such a way that talent musically takes a backstage to the message in the music. Pop-punk is generally less gritty, with often a bit more musical talent, and often it sends a message, but it isn't as obvious as it is in punk. Also, pop-punk is commercially more successful, and some bands abuse this fact. The difference is actually fairly obvious- If I played you something by the Clash and then something by Green Day, you would be able to tell the difference immediately.

FdL
2007-03-24, 08:08 PM
Punk, heh. The other day I was with this girl and were showing each other music we liked, and we reached punkish bands. She made me listen to NOFX, and Pennywise and that kind of stuff, which I didn't like because it's too square and formulaic. They were mostly covers, they all sounded the same and I told her that any song can be reduced to the basics, Ramones way, and it's fun for like a second but that's it.
Then I introduced her to The Muffs, which I think it's a terrific punk-pop band that has a neat melodic sensibility in tune with things like The Kinks and The Beatles, Costello, etc. She didn't like it :S because of the voice of the singer (and the fact that she was a girl). Then I got the big guns out with the Buzzcocks. Sadly, I didn't get much feedback on that :p

No moral to the story, just an example of people liking different things about the same style of music.

Wyrmslave
2007-03-24, 08:13 PM
It has to be System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, or Rammstein.

Cyrano
2007-03-24, 09:31 PM
Arcade Fire.
Period.
I especially love how Funeral and Neon Bible are completely different sounds, and yet somehow both intrinsically Arcade Fire. They just plain rock. Intervention, Rebellion (Lies) and Keep The Car Running are my favourites, and you should check them out.

Castaras
2007-03-25, 06:04 AM
Genesis.

Amazingly weird tunes that appeal to my warped and naturally weird mind. And awesome music behind them.

Iron_Mouse
2007-03-25, 07:20 PM
http://www.myspace.com/nekrogoblikon
Hail to the lovecraftian goblin metal...with pirates! :smallyuk:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-26, 12:46 AM
Awesome band, Iron. I love them. Army of goblins is my favourite song by them now.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-26, 05:29 PM
Lineup has changed again.

Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Era
Lesium
Nickelback

Hoggy
2007-03-28, 01:56 PM
Got The Blackening by Machine Head yesterday...

Anyone who likes metal, this ought to be a must-have album for. It's fantastic (that's not how I usually describe it, but how I usually describe it would -probably- get me a warning:smallwink: ). Yes. Anyway. Get it already.

Samurai General
2007-03-28, 03:20 PM
Streetlight Manifesto:smallbiggrin:
Iron Maidain:smallsmile:
Dragonforce:biggrin:
(not ordered)

Daze
2007-03-28, 03:51 PM
Ok, band or artist? Doesnt matter I guess.. but in no particular order:

Notorious B.I.G.
Luciano Pavarotti
Coal Chamber
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Parliment Funkadelic
Tupac
Rolling Stones
Nine Inch Nails
Wu-Tang Clan
Johnny cash
Maria Callas
They Might be Giants

and tons, tons, tons more... have no favorites really. There's a mood for every song.. and a song for every mood. Got a long list of favorite foods too! (and it's just as eclectic) ;)

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-29, 03:16 AM
...my faves still haven't changed...Arch Enemy, Arsis, Dark Tranquility, and In Flames. I'll convert you all to good music eventually! :P

...I'm probably a little late for this...but since when has Radiohead been the slightest bit obscure? :smallconfused:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-29, 03:51 AM
I have never been much of a fan of Arsis- I prefer something a bit more melodic in my metal.

Theodora
2007-03-29, 10:02 AM
It is a hard decision... Well, my favourite band is Opeth :smallbiggrin:, a progressive death metal band. Anyway, I also like Nirvana, Blind Guardian, Therion, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Candlemass, The Offspring, and others.:smallsmile:

Hoggy
2007-03-29, 12:11 PM
Cobra: Looking at those bands, you sir might well end up liking a band called Insomnium. Pretty awesome Swedish melodeth (who coined that again?) band. Try the Above The Weeping World Album.:smallsmile:

Theodora: Oooh, Opeth, I saw them live last November :smallbiggrin: Might be worth checking out The Adversary by Ihsahn. Still ProggyD music, but a fairly different sound. Okay, so it's Progressive Blackened-Death really (now these genres are getting ridiculous, that ought to be shortened to 'the plague') but it's still damned good.

Zodling
2007-03-29, 02:45 PM
Rush.

They are the only band that I can find at least one song (usually more) to listen to no matter what my mood.

All my other near favorites are all mood dependent.

Scorpina
2007-03-29, 03:31 PM
Oooh, Opeth, I saw them live last November :smallbiggrin:

Me too!

On a more general note, I'm going through a metal phase at the moment, and having bought new albums from Within Temptation and Mastodon has pushed them both up my list significantly.

Amotis
2007-03-29, 03:34 PM
Gotta make an pretty nice update with all these metal heads hanging out here.
- Bright Eye's Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground album = Fun
- Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon = Love
- Silver Mt. Zion = Next best thing to GY!BE
- Amon Tobin = Yes...
- Album Leaf = rep'in the locals, boy

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 03:38 PM
my heart swells with pride when i see good death metal talked about...makes me think my life wasnt wasted on the radio...

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-29, 03:59 PM
...they play death metal on the radio?

Innis Cabal
2007-03-29, 04:10 PM
yes, heavy metal and death metal after midnight, done it for a very long time, at least the station i work for does

Scorpina
2007-03-29, 04:11 PM
Really? I've never heard any death metal on the radio...

Cyrano
2007-03-29, 05:05 PM

They disguise it as advertisements

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-29, 06:08 PM

I have. I listen to the station that prides itself on being non-mainstream and playing "hard" stuff (read: mainstream ballads). However, I put up with that crap because once every 3 weeks or so, they play one good melodeath song.

...I need a better radio station. :P

...that, or I need to call in for requests.

Jorkens
2007-03-29, 06:10 PM
I'm not really up on metal subgenres, but I suspect John Peel used to play a bit in between the grind and the death and the flat out weird Japanese stuff. And the jangly indie pop and the belgian techno and the crackly old soul 7"'s and the raggacore. And The Fall. And the loud, noisy, three second long records that go BLUAARGH then end abruptly.

*sighs nostalgically*

FdL
2007-03-29, 07:41 PM
The Fall, neat.

Catch
2007-03-29, 09:39 PM
I have. I listen to the station that prides itself on being non-mainstream and playing "hard" stuff (read: mainstream ballads). However, I put up with that crap because once every 3 weeks or so, they play one good melodeath song.

...I need a better radio station. :P

...that, or I need to call in for requests.

Are there any college radio stations in your area? For me, that's the best place to go for music that's not mainstream. And they'll usually play your requests.

FdL
2007-03-29, 09:52 PM
There's probably good stuff out there in the airwaves. But at one point in my life I got fed with having to put up with the music they chose to play on the radio and started listening to records.

Theodora
2007-04-04, 06:38 AM
Might be worth checking out The Adversary by Ihsahn. Still ProggyD music, but a fairly different sound. Okay, so it's Progressive Blackened-Death really (now these genres are getting ridiculous, that ought to be shortened to 'the plague') but it's still damned good.
Thanks,I will search for them, I like listening to new bands.:smallsmile:

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-04-04, 07:03 AM
breaking benjamin and three doors down.
But I like evanescence, the rasmus and metallica.

(sorry not capitilism...in names)

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-07, 12:33 PM
...my faves still haven't changed...Arch Enemy, Arsis, Dark Tranquility, and In Flames. I'll convert you all to good music eventually! :P

Mmmmh, Arsis and Dark Tranquillity, lovely stuff both of them, definitely among the better melodeath out there. I kinda like Arch Enemy's and In Flames' early works, too.

If you like Arsis' brand of more technical melodeath, you might be up for some of the less brutal, jazzy technical death/thrash metal acts like Atheist, later era Death, Cynic, Alarum, Watchtower or Coroner. Lovely stuff :)

They don't mean much. But their origins do mostly.

Simon Reynolds of The Wire described it as ""using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords" in his review of his review of some old british post-rock band, Bark Psychosis.

In retrospect, post-rock varies a lot. From huge influences of classical, jazz, ambient, and folk, as well as touching on the many of styles of rock. Going even so far in some cases to include free jazz, found sounds, and musique concrete. Vocals are sometimes used but more as an instrument of their own. Pieces are usually wider works and usually include long instrumental songs that repeat an musical motive or theme through various textures and dynamics. Very much like classical music. But it varies quite a bit. Some post-rock bands are more rock then others, some more ambient, some more classical, some more shoegazer, etc. It's a wide genre.

Post-metal is basically metal done in a kinda post-rock style. I'll go so far to say they're less experimental then some post-rock bands because of the "metal" they like to use in their sound while post-rock bands don't really care. Post-metal is probably worse (name wise) then post-rock as almost all of them could be put in a genre. It really doesn't deserve the post moniker and they all could but named doom, am, or progressive metal.

Hmmm, that post rock definition sounds somewhat understandable, though from that description it shouldn't really be considered rock at all. I mean, if you're using rock instruments to play non-rock stuff, you're not rock, are you? :s

I refuse to accept post metal as a genre. Most of the stuff labelled as such that I heard would fit under the category "sludge" or maybe "progressive sludge" (I dunno why, but the name sludge instantly gave me an idea of what music to expect before I even heard any of it. I guess it's because it's such a graphic term). Plus going by your given definition, there's ludicrous amounts of metal out there that could be labelled post-metal but thankfully hasn't (Atheist's, Cynic's, Alarum's and early Gnostic's various types of Jazz Metal, Mekong Delta's neoclassical Thrash and later all-out classical compositions that were performed in a metal way, Necrophagist's classical-influenced Death Metal, various instrumental prog like Liquid Tension Experiment or Spastic Ink, other particularly weird progressive metal like Ark, some X-Japan and Pain of Salvation etc. pp.) and usually stuck to the Progressive label, with maybe some extra descriptors like "jazz-", "neoclassical-" or "technical" for further clarification.

Now when it comes to "post-thrash", "post-hardcore", or "post-black metal", my brain gains this morbid desire to implode :|

Amotis
2007-04-07, 01:23 PM
It's not rock, it's post rock. :P After rock. Which is misleading since it reasons that rock is over, which it isn't.

I really think some of those metal genres are just repeating what music acutally is to make them sound cooler. Sooner or later you'll get Guitar Song Metal. Or Notes Metal. Or Sound Music. Sound Music! NO WAI!

CurlyKitGirl
2007-04-07, 02:33 PM
Queen, plain and simple. Also really obscure bands from the 50s and 60s-Elvis included. FREDDIE MERCURY IS AMAZING!! RIP FRDDIE-I never had the chance to see you in concert*small sob*

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-07, 04:05 PM
Since I'll soon be one my third hundredth or so listen of The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part One: Virgin Steele is the finest band out there.

I really think some of those metal genres are just repeating what music acutally is to make them sound cooler.

such as?

Hoggy
2007-04-07, 06:13 PM
Thanks,I will search for them, I like listening to new bands.:smallsmile:

Just as a quick note: It's Ihsahn's solo project, he did it all except the drums :smalltongue: Oh, and Garm did guest vocals on Homecoming.

If you really like it (which you ought to because it is awesome), maybe try later-Emperor stuff, like the song An Elegy Of Icaros.:smallsmile:

ElfLad
2007-04-07, 06:54 PM
Also really obscure bands from the 50s and 60s-Elvis included.

Yeah, I like this obscure little sixties band called "The Beetles." I think they misspelled it in an attempt to be cool, though. :smallwink:

DraPrime
2007-04-07, 07:20 PM
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Therion
Persuader

Yes I'm a metal head.

Amotis
2007-04-08, 12:41 AM
such as?

Technical. Blues. Jazz. Neoclassical. I mean, I can point to any band and show the same exact chord progressions or scale modes that the metal genres use but don't name it in their genre name. Ooooh minor scales! Ooooh Aeolin modes! Ooooh tritones! Oooh cadences! The freaken core of popular music. Jefferson Airplane baby. Grateful Dead. Heck, Son House! It's nothing too special. Influences don't need renaming.

Yeah, I like this obscure little sixties band called "The Beetles." I think they misspelled it in an attempt to be cool, though. :smallwink:

Nah, it was some other really obscure American dude's back up band who went to Britain which caused them to name their band the way they did. Buddy...Folly? I think was his name. Buddy Folly and the Crickets.

Reinboom
2007-04-08, 12:55 AM
I'm at a split, depending on my current tastes:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mindless Self Indulgence

Definitely between these two, currently I'm leaning more towards RHCP, however, this changes with my mood.
Other high contenders:
The Zutons
Nine Inch Nails
Alice in Chains
Tenacious D

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-08, 01:07 AM
I still consider post metal a genre. It is an offshoot of sludge, but in general more atmospheric and less dissonant. Call it atmospheric sludge if you want.

Lord of the Helms
2007-04-08, 10:48 AM
Technical. Blues. Jazz. Neoclassical.

Seeing how neither music in general nor metal in particular is inherently technical (see: Grim Reaper, AC/DC, W.A.S.P. and Lordi for examples of utterly untechnical bands), jazzy (see: pretty much every traditional heavy and power metal band) or neoclassical ( See: Slayer, Anthrax, Kreator, Dark Angel, Sodom), and how blues is practically never used as a genre descriptor in metal (precisely because it IS a rather inherent component), that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It's nothing too special. Influences don't need renaming.

Since a genre is supposed to describe what the music sounds like, then of course influences, especially primary ones, should be named as they are a deciding factor in what it, y'know, sounds like. I know what to expect from something filed under the "jazz death metal" or "neoclassical power metal" label. As such, the genre name has fulfilled its purpose.

Amotis
2007-04-08, 01:20 PM
Technical = odd time signatures, tritone lead and circle of fourth dominated riffs (aka different sounding guitar stuff).

Jazz = quotes from jazz pieces, ostinato patterns, blue notes, polyrhythm, call and response.

Neoclassical = arpeggios, minor scales, cadences, etc. quotes from "classical" pieces (using the word classical loosely because the most covered composers by neoclassical metal, Bach and Vivaldi, aren't classical).

Looking at what defines these genres we can see that a whole lot of other genres use these elements. I don't think I really need to name the amounts that use these elements but aren't called jazz, neoclassical, or technical because there really are a lot.

Hoggy
2007-04-08, 01:46 PM
Hmm... I tend to see what you posted above as more guidelines, rather than definate. I usually define things just based on what they sound like, or what the general consensus is if I'm confused. Or a mix.

Or I don't bother trying and just listen to the music.:smallsmile:

Dragor
2007-04-08, 02:31 PM
My faves are differing all the time. I've started liking Audioslave more than ever- I have all three albums, I have to say I prefer the first one. Revelations wasn't really my cup of tea, and Out of Exile was quite good. It all sort of downhill from the first album.

FdL
2007-04-08, 04:12 PM
Without a very deep analysis, and to someone like me who dislikes all metal, the incredible amount of subgenres really sounds ridiculous. But then again, as part of a style of music that is so strict about its generic identity they must take pride in this type of exhaustive classifications. Go figure.

I like my music as genre-free as possible, thanks.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-08, 04:18 PM
Amotis, when I see music that says "technical", all I really expect is that it is going to be much harder to learn and play than the overall standard of the genre. To my mind I then consider neoclassical stuff more technical than Black Sabbath, because it contains more advanced stuff, and generally because it is played at a higher speed.

That said, although blues is an inherent aspect of the genre it has been less emphasized since the 80's. Which upsets me, because I really like blues.

Many other genres have a massive amount of classifications- blues, for example, has a lot because of each stylistic change due to the tastes of the area it is played in. Jazz as well- there is tons of it. I'll admit that metal fans are very over-zealous about the genre thing, and although I see a lot of it overused, I still use them because I know what to expect from a band and whether I will like it. That said, I really like experimental bands. 'Coz they're nifty.

The 8th Sin
2007-04-08, 04:27 PM
In no particular order:
Beatles
Queen
Sum 41
Linkin Park
3 Days Grace
All-American Rejects
Nickelback
They Might Be Giants

mabeline777
2008-08-29, 02:19 PM
Heavy Young Heathens
Oasis
The Beatles
Jet

Gorbash
2008-08-29, 02:38 PM
Flogging Molly. Hands down.

DraPrime
2008-08-29, 02:46 PM
That was some serious thread necromancy. 3 posts ago it was April 2007

KerfuffleMach2
2008-08-29, 11:12 PM
I don't have any one favorite, but top contenders would be the following:

Disturbed
The Offspring
Weird Al
Rush
Buckcherry
Seether
Shinedown

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-30, 08:38 AM
So easily Rage Against the Machine that it isn't funny. I own every album they've released and buy random stuff from them. I'm currently wearing my army style shirt with a "Battle of Los Angeles" patch on the left sleeve