PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Extractions

Kurien
2009-07-22, 11:58 AM
In December I got braces on both the upper and lower teeth and the graduate orthodontist ordered all four second premolars pulled to make room for both my unerupted wisdom teeth and the front teeth (I've got a peculiar bite). Today after a several month wait I got my teeth extracted.

Now I have these huge holes in my gums where my premolars used to be that are plugged by blood clots. It's been an hour or two since I left the clinic but my tongue and lips are still numb from the local anesthetic used. I wasn't allowed to keep my teeth because they said they were a biohazard or something.

So anyway, are there any other playgrounders who have had teeth removed?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-22, 12:00 PM
I had my top wisdom teeth removed, and I hated the week that followed, with the bleeding for three days and the cotton in my mouth and having to be careful of what I ate and how.
I'm sure you know by now not to use a straw, as the suction causes infection >.<

Starscream
2009-07-22, 12:01 PM
Had my wisdom teeth yanked. Sucks because I was planning to multiclass to cleric.

Nah, it wasn't that bad. Just had to live on smoothies for two days.

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 12:10 PM
Went to the dentist the other day. She said my wisdom teeth have holes in them, and she wants to take them out. I don't want to lose my wisdome teeth :smallfrown: Why can't she just fill the holes? Anyone know?

Llama231
2009-07-22, 12:15 PM
I lost 4 teeth naturally. Well, sort of, I yanked my last tooth out to avoid having it extracted. The rest were extracted. Additionally, one of my adult incisors got lost in my chin so that had to go too. My wisdom teeth are next.

My brother lost one tooth naturally, and the rest were extracted. One time though, they also took the teeth underneath the baby teeth that were not even loose yet.

Totally Guy
2009-07-22, 12:22 PM
I had 4 teeth out back when they were still allowed to gas you first. That was not a good day. I was all headachey and in pain.

The gaps are now long gone. And I had braces on for a good 6 months but my teeth are all good now.

Edit: My Dentist is a Dentist/Cleric multiclass. When he's not being a dentist he's a priest.

Dogmantra
2009-07-22, 12:25 PM
I've had four adult teeth taken out and one put back in. Yeah... Rugby...

And on the first two that I got taken out, the anaesthetic didn't wear off on one side for a few weeks, because they pushed the needle a little too far in. My chin was numb on one side for ages...

WalkingTarget
2009-07-22, 12:32 PM
Went to the dentist the other day. She said my wisdom teeth have holes in them, and she wants to take them out. I don't want to lose my wisdome teeth :smallfrown: Why can't she just fill the holes? Anyone know?

My understanding is that since, for the most part, people don't use their wisdom teeth for chewing and whatnot (I'm pretty sure that I do, but mine pretty much came in straight like normal teeth, not under others or anything; I got lucky), it's not worth the trouble to fix them when you get cavities or other problems. They're "hard to keep clean" and are clear at the back and can be hard to get to properly to put in fillings.

At least that's what my dentist always told me when I was younger. He pushes less about getting them removed these days, but always makes a point to tell me to keep them clean.

I've still got all of my teeth, personally, but my mom and younger brother both had to have their wisdom teeth out over the last few years. It didn't look like a fun experience.

Renegade Paladin
In December I got braces on both the upper and lower teeth and the graduate orthodontist ordered all four second premolars pulled to make room for both my unerupted wisdom teeth and the front teeth (I've got a peculiar bite). Today after a several month wait I got my teeth extracted.

Now I have these huge holes in my gums where my premolars used to be that are plugged by blood clots. It's been an hour or two since I left the clinic but my tongue and lips are still numb from the local anesthetic used. I wasn't allowed to keep my teeth because they said they were a biohazard or something.

Yes. I had the exact same procedure you did. Believe you me, you'll thank them later when you don't have to get your wisdom teeth cut out; that's a lot worse and slower to heal.

Crimmy
My milk canine was reluctant to falling, so the dentist decided it was time for it to go out.

So decided, that he, in fact, took it out, entirely, including the tooth root.

Yeah, that's right:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Jointtypodonts.jpg

looking at that thing below the transparent gums, you'll see the root of the teeth is long.
So, I got all that pulled. From a frickin' canine.

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 12:47 PM
I don' wanna lose my wisdom teeth. I'm proud of my wisdom teeth :smallannoyed:

Kurien
2009-07-22, 12:52 PM
Yes. I had the exact same procedure you did. Believe you me, you'll thank them later when you don't have to get your wisdom teeth cut out; that's a lot worse and slower to heal.

Yeah, the X rays radiograph of my teeth clearly show that my wisdom teeth are hooked under my back molars. Hopefully the molars will move forward and free up some space.

ghost_warlock
2009-07-22, 12:56 PM
The last time I had any teeth pulled, I was less than two years old. I need to get some more pulled, but frankly can't afford to do so at this time (too many monthly bills). When I do get the income to do so, though, I'm probably going to end up having all of my wisdom teeth yanked, as well as about five others - so a total of about nine teeth. I'm...not particularly looking forward to the procedure. :smalleek:

Zherog
2009-07-22, 12:57 PM
When I was a child, many of my "baby" teeth didn't fall out. So at one point, I had parts of two sets of teeth in my mouth. I ended up having about 14 or so teeth extracted. And then braces for five years.

Also as a child, my right upper "fang" was impacted in the jawbone. So I had to have surgery so they could drill a hole in my jawbone and bring the tooth down to where it was supposed to be to start growing normally.

Also also as a child, I had my top two wisdom teeth extracted. There wasn't actually anything wrong with them; the dentist just wanted to take them out to avoid any problems. He wanted to leave the bottom ones in at the time because the pressure from the teeth would help close some of the gaps I had, and shorten the length of time I had braces.

I'm absolutely petrified of the dentist. I hate going just for a check up and cleaning. It's probably because when I first started experiencing the first problem listed above, my parents didn't have any kind of dental insurance, nor did they have any money to speak of. (grilled cheese and tomato soup was dinner three or four nights a week.) The dentist they took me to was... less than skilled.

Thankfully, my father's job got good dental coverage and I didn't have to suffer the quack's painful extractions. But even going to a good dentist, I had all those extractions. I wouldn't let them take the bottom wisdom teeth. I told them if they ever started to bother me, then we can talk about it. Until then, they stay there.

Totally Guy
2009-07-22, 01:07 PM
I thought dentists were free in America but with an option to go for a more-skilled private one. Hence all the "Big book of British smiles" jokes.

wxdruid
2009-07-22, 01:07 PM
I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed before I joined the military. All I remember was being sick for a week and not being able to eat much. I kept throwing up. BLEH It was NOT a fun time.

catlover (at the young age of 10) has already had at least 2 baby teeth removed. They didn't want to fall out by themselves. One had the next tooth already growing up under it. The dentist took it out and the front part of the root hadn't dissolved like it was supposed to, which is why it refused to fall out. The other baby tooth fractured and only half of it fell out. After about 2 months the dentist removed the remainder. She's also had 3 cavities filled. All this by the age of 10. She obviously didn't inherit my teeth. Fortunately she now has a dentist she likes and is willing to go to for visits.

Trog
2009-07-22, 01:28 PM
I thought dentists were free in America but with an option to go for a more-skilled private one. Hence all the "Big book of British smiles" jokes.
Nope. We have to pay for them just like we pay for doctor visits. No idea what started the Britian = bad teeth meme. I blame Austin Powers. Our resident Playground Brits have nice teeth from what I have seen.

I had my wisdom teeth yanked long ago. Only time I was knocked out for a procedure. Though I am convinced I have very little feeling when it comes to teeth and gums.

Dentist: "So I imagine you've been having some pain back here."
Me: "Nope." :smallbiggrin:
Dentist: "Uh... :smallconfused: You mean you don't feel anything when I do this?" :smallconfused: *pokepokepoke*
Me: "Nope. Nothing. Should I?" :smallsmile:
Dentist: "Well you have an infection from your wisdom teeth coming in crooked and it has ate away a portion of the surrounding jaw bone. So yeah you should be in a lot of pain."
Me: :smalleek: *makes appointment to have evil teeth pulled*

Hell Puppi
2009-07-22, 01:28 PM

Hahhahaha!

.....no. Most definitely not free. :smallannoyed:

Had my wisdom teeth taken out...I actually had five of them, apparently.

raitalin
2009-07-22, 01:29 PM

Not at all, dental insurance is even more rare in America than health insurance, which we're in the middle of a big debate about because almost 10% of Americans are uninsured, and many more are underinsured or are denied coverage when the need arises.

I'm honestly not sure why Americans make fun of Brit's teeth so often, and while I'm not sure they're worse overall, I have seen some extremely funky British smiles the likes of which you don't see outside of the deep south in the U.S. I always just assumed dental care was emphasized more in the U.S. than Britain, and at a younger age.

Personally, I've had dental problems my whole life. 4 of my adult molars came in without enamel due to nose drops I took when I was a toddler, so they've been filled over 16 times. One has been replaced with a crown, one has fallen out entirely, and one's on its way. I hoped that my wisdom teeth could replace them, but they were coming in virtually horizontally so I had to have them cut out. I need to go to the dentist, I do have insurance, but I'm not looking forward to the things they are going to do to my mouth. I freaking hate the dentist.

Icewalker
2009-07-22, 01:31 PM
They pulled one of my teeth. Despite the anesthesia, it was still painful, which pissed me off, so when they came back and pulled two more I demanded that they knock me out for it, and they did. Then they wanted to pull another 5, which I just straight up refused to let them do. About to get braces off, now, and my teeth are looking fine.

KuReshtin
2009-07-22, 05:17 PM
I've had a total of 10 teeth pulled.
I had the same procedure as the OP with the pre-molars being pulled, both my milk teeth and my adult ones for a total of 8, and then I've had two pulled as an adult because the dentist said that even a root canal couldn't save them.

The last tooth I had pulled had had a filling that fell out and the tooth was so eroded beneath the filling that the nerve was exposed and when the dentist tried to pull it, the crown just clean broke off from the root, so he had to cut it in two and pull each of the halves separately.
That was a fun day.

I've never had any pain when the anaesthesia lets off, which is pretty good.

Recaiden
2009-07-22, 05:26 PM
I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed before I joined the military. All I remember was being sick for a week and not being able to eat much. I kept throwing up. BLEH It was NOT a fun time.

catlover (at the young age of 10) has already had at least 2 baby teeth removed. All this by the age of 10.

This isn't encouraging. In about a week I have to have my wisdom teeth removed, as they'd impact my molars if left to grow in all the way. :smallsigh:

And maybe my teeth aren't normal, as by then I think I'd had 4 baby teeth out to make room, and a filling.
And since then I think I've had 2 more pulled.

Coidzor
2009-07-22, 05:27 PM
My aunt is a dentist. When I was about 6 or 7 I got my first cavity in one of my baby teeth. It was an extra, mutant incisor. It had gotten infected and started to form an abscess or something (it turned green, ok, I don't know how, since I was actually brushing my teeth by that age).

Anyway, my mom took me to go see my aunt who gave me an injection and then tore out the tooth from my mouth. I still hazily remember it all like it was a waking dream. Possibly due to the drugs in my system, since I was surprised at the time that I was awake while she was in my mouth. Fortunately it was over quickly.

*shudder*

Thankfully none of my adult set of teeth has had to come out yet. Unfortunately I have had to get fillings. :smallfrown:

Heh. I forgot about my wisdom teeth. Mostly because they didn't even really come in to my mouth before they had to be cut out of my jaw. All four of 'em out. Was drugged for about a week.

Apparently this was really hot to my girlfriend at the time because that was the longest romantic liaison-romp we ever had.

Lupy
2009-07-22, 07:31 PM
I had 9 baby teeth removed. They had this scoop-like razor thing they used, and it didn't hurt that bad, but they insisted on using that thing that keeps you from biting, which scared me and made me punch the dentist the first time they tried to put it in (I thought it was the clamps to pull the tooth and there had been no anesthesia yet).

Vmag
2009-07-22, 07:34 PM
I've had my teeth yanked out a few times.

The first time was in my youth. I had some teeth grow in a bit wrong, I think I had a couple extra, you see, so I had teeth coming in primal, giving me an extra set of fangs on my upper and bottom row of teeth.

The solution? Remove the existing teeth and let the odd ones fit into place. The doctor just shot me up some and started yanking back and forth till they gave in. Hated it.

The next time was the removal of my wisdom teeth. That is a bad shame. I would have liked to have given them a chance at least, seeing as the procedure is only a preventative for a statistical chance.

Groundhog
2009-07-22, 09:08 PM
I had 9 baby teeth removed. They had this scoop-like razor thing they used, and it didn't hurt that bad, but they insisted on using that thing that keeps you from biting, which scared me and made me punch the dentist the first time they tried to put it in (I thought it was the clamps to pull the tooth and they had been no anesthesia yet).

You mean a dental gag?

So far, my wisdom teeth are coming in fine. I'm really hoping that my dentist won't insist on taking them out, since I already had to go through the teething pain. I don't want to have to go through extraction pain too.

ForzaFiori
2009-07-22, 09:35 PM
August seventh I am having all four wisdom teeth taken out. :smallfrown:

It's gonna suck, though thankfully, they're gonna knock me out for the procedure. The guy is supposedly really good, and its supposed to be an easy procedure cause my teeth are set up good for it. But supposedly I'm gonna be completely out of it for a day, spit a bottle of blood for a day, and then be pretty fine as long as I have pain killers

Still scared though...

Llama231
2009-07-22, 09:38 PM

It's gonna suck, though thankfully, they're gonna knock me out for the procedure. The guy is supposedly really good, and its supposed to be an easy procedure cause my teeth are set up good for it. But supposedly I'm gonna be completely out of it for a day, spit a bottle of blood for a day, and then be pretty fine as long as I have pain killers

Still scared though...

I recommend planning your eating habits for the next week or so ahead of time.

A Rainy Knight
2009-07-22, 09:40 PM

Still scared though...

I'm in the same boat, man. I'm having all four out sometime in early-to-mid August. They're going to put me completely under for it, too. And my teeth aren't really in any problematic spots, either.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-22, 10:00 PM
Nope. That sounds pretty rough though.

On the bright side, at least you have access to modern dental care. If you'd been born in another century your mouth might just have a few straggling side wise yellow shards impended in a swollen black mess. Well if that century is in the past anyway. If the century was in the future you might have awesome force-field teeth instead that can bite through bricks with ease. That'd be pretty bitchin', I think.

Point is, it's too bad but whatcha gonna do? Guess the best you can do is hope it goes well and enjoy the painkillers.

Recaiden
2009-07-22, 10:37 PM

Still scared though...

I've got the same thing. My wisdom teeth haven't gotten bad yet, but there isn't room for them to come in all the way, so. . .

Serpentine
2009-07-22, 10:56 PM
The next time was the removal of my wisdom teeth. That is a bad shame. I would have liked to have given them a chance at least, seeing as the procedure is only a preventative for a statistical chance.Bugger that. If there's not a problem, then nothing should be done :smallannoyed: 'swhy I'm gonna get 1 or 2 second opinions before I let my dentist pull mine. They're not hurting or anything (well, I was grinding my teeth a fair bit and they sort of hurt-itched after the appointment, but I think that was more psychosomatic (addict insane!)). They've just got holes in them, they're not growing sideways (like my ex's) or pushing my teeth too close together (pushing enough to squeeze out my front gap, which is sad, and something the dentist said she's never seen before, and is making my front teeth slightly crooked). Damn pull-happy dentists...

On the "free dentist" thing, there was a free one at the university, paid for by the student union. Then they brought in Voluntary Student Unionism, and what was the first thing they got rid of? Not the sporting facilities, not the bar, not the hairdressers', not the bookshops... The free freaking dentist :smallmad: Good way to get a whoooooole lotta bad-toothed students.

It's an unfortunate trend, that different economic classes can be identified by the quality of their teeth...

MethosH
2009-07-22, 10:59 PM
Ohh! Ohhhhh! Teeth Extractions! Finally a subject where I have a great (but not so great) story to tell!

Ok! So I needed to take those same teeth out, but I didn't do it with local anesthesia. I did it with Nitrous Oxide Gas! It was an awesome experience!

This gas kind of make you a little crazy... But makes everything fun! During the operation I raised my hands, looked at the doctor and waved at him trying to say "Bugabugabuga!"

You've guys seen the video of the kid that after going to the dentist is all like "Is this the real life?". That was me after the teeth extraction!

When I left the doctors office I started following the colors of the walls.. Can't actually remember why... My mom had to chase me to put me on the elevator. Inside the elevator I was staring at people from a really close distance and suddenly I turned to the wall. They were kind of freaking out.

On the taxi home I was at the window like a dog looking at the trees... *tree... tree... tree...*

When I got home my sister was still asleep. I went running to her bed and wake her up saying "Bugabugabuga!".. I don't remember much of this part, but she said that after that I ran out of her room and she could see me running down the corridor with my mom chasing me and screaming "Come back here!"

It was fun :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-07-23, 05:05 PM
Serp, I just had my wisdom teeth pulled about a month ago. It really wasn't bad. Don't let your dentist do it though. Get a referal to an Oral Surgeon. Some dentists do extractions, but most of them don't have the training to really do the tough extractions, which wisdom teeth are. It depends on your age too. I'm 25, and if I would have waited more than another few years, the calcification of the roots gets to be pretty bad and makes for more difficult extraction. Its best to get em done early. The reason most people get theirs out is not actually crowding, either. Wisdom teeth are vestigial, or however you spell that. They don't really serve much purpose anymore. On top of that, they are REALLY hard to clean, which is the reason you probably have cavaties in them. I had 3 cavaties between my 4 wisdom teeth when I had them pulled, and I have excellent brushing and flossing habits. They are just so darned inconvenient. Also, may people nowadays have their teeth enamel coated when they are young. Since your wisdom teeth aren't impacted yet, they don't get the coating and are thus more vulnerable, on top of all of the other stuff I mentioned above.

So yea. Thats according to the oral surgeon I saw. Really good guy. I'd recommend him except you are kinda an Ausie.

The whole procedure, including the general anasthesia took 1 hour. Yup, 20 minutes to go down, 30 minutes to yank all 4 teeth and stitch me back up, and about 10 minutes to wake back up. Recovery wasn't so bad. I was eating solid foods by the 3rd day, and the stitches fell out shortly after that.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-23, 05:15 PM
I had teeth removed just before I got braces put on, when I was 12. Some adult teeth were growing in on top of my last remaining baby teeth.
I really need my wisdom teeth to be removed. They're kind of bent in, and I can't wear my bottom retainer anymore.

potatocubed
2009-07-24, 01:37 AM
When my wisdom teeth first started coming through it was veyr painful, so I went to the dentist to get it fixed. "We can see you in two weeks," the receptionist said. :smallsigh: By the time the appointment had rolled around my new teeth were in place and the pain had gone.

I have had teeth removed, though. The only problem was with the first one - because my mouth was numb from the anaesthetic I didn't realise the clot had fallen out and I nearly collapsed from blood loss. Fun times!

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-24, 02:08 AM
I had all four wisdom teeth pulled when I was 25. They started coming in at the wrong angle several years before that, but I was stubborn and didn't want them out. By the time I agreed to let them be pulled, it was because I was in so much pain that I couldn't see straight.

The procedure itself was pretty uneventful. I was put under, woke up some time later (this part I can barely even remember), had dry socket the next day, got the wound repacked at the dentist, was fine in about 4 days.

Funny story about waking up from the general anesthesia. Apparently I was having a conversation with my sister who was there to drive me home. Later I distinctly recalled having had a conversation but couldn't remember what it was about. I didn't think anything of it because I remembered being groggy and it's normal to not have full recollection of conversations had while groggy. Anywho, I asked my sis what we talked about and she said "I dunno, Bubba. You were just yammerin' away about something, but it was just a long string of disconnected words that WE heard." Apparently Elan's Chaos conscience and I were about on equal ground in terms of cohesive thought. :smallcool:

Philistine
2009-07-24, 02:41 AM
A good oral surgeon can make a world of difference.

By the time I got around to having my wisdom teeth out, both the dentist and the oral surgeon told me that I should have had it done at least two years earlier. How bad was it? The surgeon told me that he usually let patients choose whether to get a local or a general anaesthetic for their procedures; but for me, he wasn't even going to offer the local as an option. So they stuck a needle in the back of my hand and slapped a gas bulb on my nose, and a couple-few hours later I woke up again. :smallamused:

Twenty-four hours after the operation, I was in less pain than I had been before it - and had already been off the prescribed pain meds for ~8 hours. (To be fair, I was in a quite a bit of pain before the operation.) I experienced no complications, and a few weeks later the stitches came out of their own accord. I experienced some tightness in my jaw for a couple of weeks, and some soreness around the incisions for a couple of days; nothing more or worse.

So it's not all doom and gloom. Some people do have positive experiences with having their wisdom teeth out. Or other teeth, I suppose.

Corlindale
2009-07-24, 03:47 PM
I once had a tooth extracted which had grown into the jawbone itself. The roots had to be drilled out of the bone before it could be extracted - the procedure had to be done at the hospital rather than at the dentists.

It was local anaesthathic only, and I remember it as a pretty unpleasant and fairly lenghty process:smallfrown:. I don't recall it being that bad afterwards, though, but I was on painkillers. I have slight dentist-phobia, so even if the pain afterwards was technically greater it is also quite possible I interpret it as much less so, because I was so relieved that was no longer "in the chair".

xPANCAKEx
2009-07-24, 09:53 PM
so far i've had 14 teeth removed in the course of all my dentist/orthodentic work

good times

Draken
2009-07-24, 11:25 PM
Removed the two left wisdom teeth at the beggining of the year, rmeoved the two right wisdom teeth this very monday.

The six month delay between the two extractions is a matter of lazyness and procrastination. My oral surgeon is very competent and so far no complications have arised.

No pain, nearly no disconfort, less than half an hour each time to remove the pair of teeth. Envy me! :smallbiggrin:

By the way, said teeth were, indeed, growing in akward positions that made their extraction a must if I am to get those braces and fix the rest. They were growing pretty much forward instead of up(down)ward. Damn, I could feel the things pressing the rest of my teeth at times. :smallmad:

Yarram
2009-07-26, 02:28 AM
I was drugged out and had five teeth removed. My wisdom teeth and one of my twelve year old molars when I was fifteen.

The best part about it was later, I missed a week of school. The worst part was that I was in no pain when I went to sleep, but considerable pain when I woke up.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-07-26, 09:34 PM
I had to have a milk tooth half-pulled. One of my teeth sorta missed, and only pushed out one of the two roots of the tooth, so I had the tooth hanging on like a hinge. It didn't hurt me, it was just really inconvenient, and ugly, and bad, and I was about to get braces in. So I got it pulled. Nothing went wrong, and I didn't have a single problem.

I have actually had a near perfect dental record. Other than that one pulling and a single cavity, I have never had a single problem. I have remarkably strong teeth. I blame all the milk I drink. :smallbiggrin:

darkjubs
2009-07-27, 02:53 AM
I had this done too back when I had braces. My wisdom teeth ended up coming out anyways a couple years later. It was a good 6 to 8 hours before the local anesthetic started to wear off for the wisdom teeth. It always seems to last about twice as long as they say it will for me.

I don't know why they didn't let you keep your teeth though, they let me keep mine.