PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Divine Power: Power of Tyrrany

Gralamin
2009-07-22, 03:51 PM
So, I'm looking at Divine Power, and I notice the Power of Tyrrany feat.

POWER OF TYRANNY [DOMAIN]
Prerequisite: Any divine class, must worship a deity of the tyranny domain
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Intimidate checks.
When you use a power associated with this feat, the power's targets each take a -2 penalty to saving throws until the start of your next turn, whether or not you hit.
Powers: astral seal (cleric DP), bond of censure (avenger DP), divine bolts (invoker PH2), enfeebling strike (paladin PH)

Does this not seem a bit too strong to anyone else?
For reference, the Astral Seal power is a Wisdom +2 vs Reflex that does no damage but does make the opponent easier to hit (And heal your allies for hitting them), and the Bond of censure power is a pulling ranged Wisdom vs. Will. (If the target is your oath of enmity target and no enemies are adjacent to you, you can make two attack rolls and use either result.)

RTGoodman
2009-07-22, 04:08 PM
It seems a little more powerful that the other domain feats, but I wouldn't say it's brokenly so. It'd be more in line with the others if it only worked on a hit, only affected one of the targets, and/or only applied to the NEXT save they make, but I don't think it's un-errata'd RRoT overpowered or anything.

Gralamin
2009-07-22, 04:35 PM
It seems a little more powerful that the other domain feats, but I wouldn't say it's brokenly so. It'd be more in line with the others if it only worked on a hit, only affected one of the targets, and/or only applied to the NEXT save they make, but I don't think it's un-errata'd RRoT overpowered or anything.

I dunno, I can see a, say, Invoker|Wizard being pretty dangerous with this. Plus, it works for the entire encounter, so if you wanted to you could just ensure people took constant saving throw penalties. And if you could find a way of using it as a minor action (Such as serving a god with Tyrrany and Arcana [Such as Forgotten Realms Asmodeous] if your an invoker and Quickened Spellcasting), it can obviously get a bit out of hand.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-22, 04:42 PM
Plus, it works for the entire encounter, so if you wanted to you could just ensure people took constant saving throw penalties.

It works only for one round. Unless you want to spend the whole encounter spamming an at-will power instead of using anything stronger.

Starsinger
2009-07-22, 04:42 PM
Tyranny is only evil deities though, isn't it? So you don't have to worry about it in most games, and I'm fairly certain you're not allowed to be evil in RPGA, so it's not even a FR thing... I think.

I'm not saying being evil only excuses it, but it does make it less likely to pop up.

RTGoodman
2009-07-22, 04:44 PM
It works only for one round. Unless you want to spend the whole encounter spamming an at-will power instead of using anything stronger.

Exactly. And I don't think the Quickened Spellcasting thing works, because the powers from the Arcana domain are only arcane WHEN YOU USE THEM, so you can select them as your Quickened Spellcasting spell.

Gralamin
2009-07-22, 04:44 PM

Depending on the group, this may be a very optimal action :smallwink:

Tyranny is only evil deities though, isn't it? So you don't have to worry about it in most games, and I'm fairly certain you're not allowed to be evil in RPGA, so it's not even a FR thing... I think.

I'm not saying being evil only excuses it, but it does make it less likely to pop up.

Asmodeous is the only Deity in core with access to this Domain. So yes.

Yakk
2009-07-22, 04:59 PM
Exactly. And I don't think the Quickened Spellcasting thing works, because the powers from the Arcana domain are only arcane WHEN YOU USE THEM, so you can select them as your Quickened Spellcasting spell.
Splitting hairs. Really, quickened doesn't work because it is a 1/encounter minor action.