PDA

View Full Version : grafts

awa
2009-07-22, 03:52 PM
I was glancing over the grafts in the lords of madness book becuase they seemed like an interesting idea but what i noticed was this items were massively expensive and not very useful.
It appears that taking grafts instead of magic items is suicide.
Am i missing something? Is their any reason to get grafts that im just not seeing.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-22, 03:54 PM
Basically they're extra "slots" that don't conflict with body slots for magic items.

awa
2009-07-22, 04:10 PM
so their only really useful if your really high level and are already loaded up on items ?

Starscream
2009-07-22, 04:45 PM
Well, they are very hard to take away from you. That's kind of a plus. But yeah, they aren't exactly powerful. If you have cash to burn go for it, but otherwise don't bother.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-22, 04:58 PM
Few of them are useful, but the ones that are will prove invaluable time and time again.

Fun trick: there's a graft in Races of the Dragon that gives you a tail slap attack. There's a feat in Savage Species that allows you to turn your tail prehensile if you have a tail slap attack. You can apply grafts to your familiar. Apply the tail graft, then use Psychic Reformation to turn one of its feats into the Prehensile Tail feat (that's the actual name). If you have a Raven familiar, it can now activate wands or other magic items.

The Weapon Graft from Fiend Folio (I think) is a nice one too.

woodenbandman
2009-07-22, 10:12 PM
My experience that the only grafts with any utility whatsoever are utterly broken. A +4 inherent bonus to strength, for 40k, plus a paralyzing touch attack? +4 strength, -2 dex for 16k? These are Libris Mortis, by the way.

Draken
2009-07-22, 11:49 PM
The 16k zombie arm you are refering to is only +2 Str for -2 Dex. It is not that much. The wight and ghoul arms, on the other hand...

But the real bonus of the arm grafts is that they don't say the graft must be applied in place of your actual arms. So you can have numerous grafted arms while keeping your own originals.

LoM has, in the form of the Silthilar grafts, another few interesting (if considerably expensive) grafts that grant untyped ability score bonuses to constitution, dexterity and strength, if I recall. These are the items I know that grant permanent ability score increases that are not typed in any way (inherent or whatever have you, just a plain increase).

quick_comment
2009-07-22, 11:52 PM
The 16k zombie arm you are refering to is only +2 Str for -2 Dex. It is not that much. The wight and ghoul arms, on the other hand...

The 40k undead graft gives +4 inherent bonus to strength and paralyzing touch.

There is a draconic graft that grants blindsense 30ft.

Another graft grants you a breath weapon. You can use this weapon to fuel metabreath feats and spells.

Some of the elemental grafts in eberron are pretty good too.