PDA

View Full Version : Fallout Trilogy Troubles

Ghal Marak
2009-07-22, 07:49 PM
Hey guys!

Recently I purchased Fallout Trilogy (Fallout 1 & 2 plus Tactics) from Wal-mart. I've got it installed and everything, and I just started playing Fallout, when I ran into a problem. The graphics were messed up, washed out with a lot of red and green pixels. The screen is also really tiny, centered in the center of the screen.

I looked around in the game menu, but I can't find where you change screen resolution. Is there any way to fix this?

Maxymiuk
2009-07-22, 07:56 PM
What's the OS you're using? Vista tends to mess up older games, so you might have to run it in compatibility mode.

Ghal Marak
2009-07-22, 08:13 PM
Ah, I thought I forgot to specify something! :smallbiggrin: Yeah, it's Vista. Compatibility mode? Oh, you mean 'Run as Administrator'? Or is this something else?

Maxymiuk
2009-07-22, 08:22 PM
Check the "Run the program in compatibility mode for:" box and choose one of the earlier systems. Windows 98 should work, or maybe even XP. And running it as the administrator can't hurt either.

Erloas
2009-07-23, 08:59 AM
I've ran Fallout 1&2 just fine on my Vista and Win7 RC machines. Well, not entirely just fine, on one of them there is a weird color issue on some of the animations, but not a major issue. Its also with the original copies of the games with the unofficial patches, not sure if they did anything with the re-releases.

It sounds like you are running the games in windowed mode rather then full screen mode, and if you do that it will be tiny (on many monitors) because the game only runs at something like 640x480, maybe 800x600.
If you are running in full screen mode and it just has a big black box around it then chances are either your video card or your monitor is set to "fixed resolution" or 1:1 mapping, so they don't scale up lower resolutions to the size of your monitor. So I would check those settings first, and also find the unofficial patches for Fallout 1&2.

For Tactics I couldn't really say, I have the discs but I haven't got around to re-installing it in a long time.

Shikton
2009-07-23, 09:17 AM
Run dxdiag from the start menu and turn off DirectDraw and Direct3D. Might do the trick.

Stormthorn
2009-07-24, 07:21 PM
Hey guys!

Recently I purchased Fallout Trilogy (Fallout 1 & 2 plus Tactics) from Wal-mart. I've got it installed and everything, and I just started playing Fallout, when I ran into a problem. The graphics were messed up, washed out with a lot of red and green pixels. The screen is also really tiny, centered in the center of the screen.

I looked around in the game menu, but I can't find where you change screen resolution. Is there any way to fix this?

Pray to the programming gods? I do that. And call tech support.

Also...arnt their like five fallout games total?

king.com
2009-07-25, 01:25 AM
Pray to the programming gods? I do that. And call tech support.

Also...arnt their like five fallout games total?

No... only Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. Fallout 3 exists. But Brotherhood of Steel never happened. No, it didnt. Dont try and tell me otherwise.

Triaxx
2009-07-25, 05:44 AM
Actually, there's Fallout 1, an Alternate continuity sequel, and two spin-offs.

And then a coat-tail riding hack and slash, that makes BG:DA games look like marvels of modern engineering.

Asheram
2009-07-28, 05:32 AM
And then ofcourse, Van Buren... which we cried at length about when we heard its cruel fate.
Rest in peace, Black isle

hustlertwo
2009-07-29, 03:13 PM
Actually, there's Fallout 1, an Alternate continuity sequel, and two spin-offs.

And then a coat-tail riding hack and slash, that makes BG:DA games look like marvels of modern engineering.

What made Fallout 2 alternate continuity?

Triaxx
2009-07-31, 08:26 AM
In my opinion nothing, but it keeps the fanboys from jumping down from the ceiling and screaming: The Brotherhood of Steel does not work that way! Or complaining about the pop-culture references, or the tone of the game. Or the profanity. Or the Deathclaws. Oh the Death Claws...

Anyway, I also didn't reference Fallout 2 as the AC game, and could have been referring to Tactics or 3.

Oh and just for anyone wondering, the only objection I have to the Furry Deathclaws is the same I have to the regular Deathclaws: Aigh! It's eating my face!

hustlertwo
2009-08-01, 01:44 PM
Well, you mention an alternate continuity sequel, two spinoffs, and a mindless hack n' slash (which can only mean Brotherhood of Steel, I played that crap so I know well the stupidity that runs rampant throughout the game). I assumed F2 was the AC sequel, Tactics the spinoff (and it really isn't canon, from what I understand), and F3 I guess would be the other spinoff, though I don't know why. I know there's a lot of weird fanboy rage about the Fallout series, but as a latecomer I don't really get it. I played Fallout 2 first in '07 and enjoyed it thoroughly. When I heard about F3 I was hesitant at first, because the only Bethesda game I had played was Morrowind, and that was painfully dull. But Fallout 3 proved to be awesome in its own right, even if it wasn't the sequel everyone had expected. And now some of the original Black Isle people will get to work on the new Fallout game because they're with Obsidian. So everyone wins.

Triaxx
2009-08-02, 09:52 AM
Without diving into a lot of fanboy politics, it's a case of at least one has to be a sequel, and can be which ever you like best.

The spin-offs can be either of the two you don't like because you'll probably not count them as sequels, but they are too similar not to be in universe.

And then BOS which took a completely different style of game, and then added the Fallout name so it would feel in universe. And failed.

Anyway, all three of the early games, 1,2,Tactics, had differences in styles. Fallout 1 was a survival/RPG game. Fallout 2 was an adventure/RPG game. And Tactics was a Tactical Strategy/RPG game. I haven't played 3 yet, but it seems to be an FPS/RPG game. My personal feelings are that it runs 1,2,Tactics,3. But I don't mention it because I end up beating off fanboys with a stick. Or Super Sledgehammer.

Winthur
2009-08-02, 02:06 PM
Here's my trouble. Well, not really. More like a discomfort. Anyone knows the way from making a translated version of the game switch back to English? I don't think it should be that much of a problem, seeing that no voices are localized, only subtitles.

Also, I don't get why people complain about F2. At least it's more challenging than F1. I mean, seriously. My character had 4 AG and 4 EN, so he had trouble killing rats at the beginning of the game, the only good fightning stat being Luck (10) and... well, either Energy Weapons are vastly overpowered or this game too easy on Hard/Rough, but after giving the waterchip back to Vault 13 the challenge is gone. Like "Cillit Bang" gone. Even if I roleplayed so bad I missed a lot of XP and items from stealing and not accepting evil ways (like Decker's quest. I just killed the bugger.)
F2 balances this by, well, throwing the goddamn aliens at you. :smalltongue:

Triaxx
2009-08-02, 04:48 PM
Far as I can tell, it boils down to: It changed. They don't really care whether it changed better or worse, just that it changed, and so they hate it. On the other hand, some people like it because it changed, which is why TVTropes says it has an unpleasable fanbase.