PDA

View Full Version : Negative Levels and Dragons

blazinghand
2009-07-22, 09:40 PM
Can a True Dragon (like a Red Dragon) lose levels permanently as a result of failing a save 24 hours after being hit with an Energy Drain? What happens? Does the Dragon become younger?

Quietus
2009-07-22, 09:42 PM
Can a True Dragon (like a Red Dragon) lose levels permanently as a result of failing a save 24 hours after being hit with an Energy Drain? What happens? Does the Dragon become younger?

The dragon simply loses a hit die - a portion of its vast power has been permanently drained away from it. Think of it less like growing younger, and more like forcibly becoming an old, broken man.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-22, 09:44 PM
I like the first explanation better, because it's wonderfully silly.

blazinghand
2009-07-22, 09:47 PM
I mean, you could just imagine her losing some power or life energy and... becoming physically smaller.

Lupy
2009-07-22, 09:55 PM
I mean, you could just imagine her losing some power or life energy and... becoming physically smaller.

If you like this explanation, go for it. :smallsmile:

Most people would assume that the Dragon won't shrink though.

Lord Loss
2009-07-23, 07:51 AM
Actually, I'd make it get smaller, but if it was so old that it's age gave it penalties, it's penalties double and it's age level remains the same. If it was young enough that going down would reduce it's growth (Make it a baby or such) it instead incures the penalties it would lose by going down, but does not actually go down. If nothing negative would happen to it's abilities, apply -2 Str, -2 Con. In every case it loses 1d4-1 HD (If it rolls a 2, it loses 2 Hit Dice) . If it's HD Would be reduced to 0, it dies.

AslanCross
2009-07-23, 09:03 AM
Dragons don't get age penalties, though. According to Draconomicon, they reach a state called "Twilight" wherein they make DC 20 Con checks every year. If they fail, they die. If they succeed, their Con score drops by one and die when their Con score reaches 0.

quick_comment
2009-07-23, 10:09 AM
Dragons don't get age penalties, though. According to Draconomicon, they reach a state called "Twilight" wherein they make DC 20 Con checks every year. If they fail, they die. If they succeed, their Con score drops by one and die when their Con score reaches 0.

Con checks or fort saves? Because con checks dont auto-fail on 1s, making dragons inable to die of old age assuming they have at least 48 con. Non-epic dragons have fort scores around 30. Golds have 33. A +5 tome, +6 enhancement item is 44. +2 of competence or morale to ability checks and they never die of old age

AslanCross
2009-07-23, 10:41 AM
Well, that's what Draconomicon says. Page 14.

kamikasei
2009-07-23, 10:50 AM
Con checks or fort saves? Because con checks dont auto-fail on 1s, making dragons inable to die of old age assuming they have at least 48 con. Non-epic dragons have fort scores around 30. Golds have 33. A +5 tome, +6 enhancement item is 44. +2 of competence or morale to ability checks and they never die of old age

If they lose a point of Con even if they succeed, they will eventually die however high their Con may have been to start with.

quick_comment
2009-07-23, 11:01 AM
If they lose a point of Con even if they succeed, they will eventually die however high their Con may have been to start with.

Oh, ok.

Still, I assume it can be reversed by wish or epic magic, both of which dragons have access to.