PDA

View Full Version : Over powered?

Demons_eye
2009-07-22, 11:26 PM
I was thinking of having a metal in my game that cancels or disrupts magic so long as magic or a magic user is near it. Lazy as I am tho I wanted to know if anyone knows of a metal in some obscure setting that acts like this? If not is this to over powered?

Metal would be rare as Adamantine/Starmetal and cost twice as much. But would not be uncommon for larger city's/Kingdoms to use them for restraints or for evil/paranoid nobles to use.

Relative info DMing a 3.5 game

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-07-22, 11:30 PM
Why am I suddenly reminded of The Gathering Darkness?
Horrible shackles that make it so you can't use magic, ew, not a pretty sight.
Personally I can't think of anything that already exists like it, but beware, for every rule, there is a game breaking abuse.

Xan_Kriegor
2009-07-22, 11:31 PM
Well, having something cancel magic or magic-users nearby is akin to have a metal that is permanently an Anti-Magic Field. If you're wondering about overpowered, just think about how overpowered having little chunks of Anti-Magic Fields all over would be.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-22, 11:33 PM
Not at all. There are very few ways for anti-magic to be overpowered.

Heck, I'm running a game where a particular anti-magic substance is dirt cheap. It doesn't disrupt magic, but effectively serves as a "No" for spells trying to damage/penetrate it. Of course, it's far too dense and hard to work to be made into viable weapons or armor.

However it makes a fine material for walls and buildings, which combined with a sort of anti-magic forcefield it makes fortresses & walled cities fairly meaningful structures even in a world with flying, teleporting, poison-gas cloud spewing, monster summoning, fire-shooting casters, dragons and other nasties running around.

Having a few very expensive items that cause short-range disruption to magic powers is far from a problem. Good luck forcing a standard caster to get within 1000ft of the stuff though, unless it's totally undetectable.

Bob the Urgh
2009-07-22, 11:37 PM
Doesn't forgotten realms have gems or something similar that causes that effect? It's not overpowered, go for it.