PDA

View Full Version : Creative Magic Items (Any system)

AgentPaper
2009-07-23, 12:29 AM
One thing that's always bothered me about many magic item systems, is that the items themselves are usually rather boring, straightforward, and most of the time combat-oriented. While the occasional magic item is nice, I've always thought magic items should be more strange and less obvious in what they're useful for.

For example, they might find a rope which, when you let go of it, will instantly undo any knots you've tied in it. At first, this would seem to be a useless curiosity, and perhaps many items like this are, but then a player figures that he could tie the rope to a pole, lower himself down a ledge, and then let go, releasing the rope and allowing it to fall down with him, making it easier to get around. Which still isn't the most interesting thing in the world, but then you might think of a clever trap using it, or another use that you wouldn't think of in a million years. Small, cool things that just make the players think.

On the other hand, you can apply the same idea to "cursed" items. Instead of making that cursed necklace sap the life of it's wearer away and make him turn evil, simply force the wearer to always sound sarcastic. They still can't take it off normally, but a simple ritual will do the trick, for minor fee of course.

The only problem that might arise is if the players assume that these items are more important than they are for meta-game reasons, but if your players think that, there's no reason not to just flat-out tell them that they're supposed to be random and fun.

Anyways, has anyone else here given out things like this before? I've thought of a few myself, but I'd love to have more of these to throw in as loot when appropriate, and just can't think of anything interesting.

And yes, this idea originally came from DMotR. (or rather, from a friend of mine who got it from there)

Xefas
2009-07-23, 12:43 AM
A blindfold that, when worn while asleep, allowed one to be fully aware within their dreams. They could interact with things in their dreams, even affecting the direction they go in (to an extent) by interacting in certain ways, and they could remember their dreams just as well as if they had experienced it in the waking world.

It's a pretty neat little trinket. Until you make it cursed.

Have the cursed one not able to remove the blindfold, and so not be able to see anything. Eventually, their dream world becomes more real than the real one, as they can see and act unhindered in it, while its just eternal darkness in their waking hours. After a while of relishing the vivid and accommodating world of their dreams, they may not want to endure the harsh and often unhappy reality they normally live in.

Cursed or not cursed, I thought the idea was interesting. It could also become some sort of plot item later on where somebody has to travel through the plane of dreams to do...something. But that's not necessary.

Milskidasith
2009-07-23, 12:49 AM
People can teach themselves to do that IRL, Xefas. It's known as Lucid Dreaming. Hell, you could even set up the system most commonly used if you were a wizard; just make a contingency spell: light, whenever you fall asleep. Make the light very dim, and red, and so whenever you are dreaming and you see a red light, you realize it is a dream. BOOM! Lucid dreaming. (it isn't quite that easy, but the technique is pretty sound; and you'd have to let the DM allow your light spell to be dimmer than normal).

As for neat magic items, I dunno. An amulet that made you smell like whatever you were thinking about? Boots that glowed near squeaky floorboards? A shield that you could "open" into an extradimensional cupholder?

Xefas
2009-07-23, 01:17 AM
People can teach themselves to do that IRL, Xefas.

Huh, really? I always thought I was just weird. Sometimes when I'm dreaming, I just see something and it clicks "I'm in a dream". And I have about 10 seconds of free omnipotence to do whatever the hell I want before I wake up, look around, and inevitably go "Sonovabitch. There's no armed legion of 10 foot tall scantily clad women baking me cookies here. Here sucks. I wanna go back, damnit." And then I sigh, get dressed and go make breakfast :smallannoyed: .

Anyway, the point is, I might be able to 'train' to dream lucidly, rather than using a magic blindfold, but I'd still rather wear a Belt of Giant's Strength than actually spend the time to work out.

DracoDei
2009-07-23, 01:18 AM
I support the concept, but they can be tricky to think of and/or price...

I have a few in my brain, but stating them out... I will get around to it some time.

Actually one of them shouldn't be TOO hard... might post it here tommorrow.

jagadaishio
2009-07-23, 02:20 AM
The animated sculpture of a bird. It can sing any song ever composed, but can't improvise anything. It seems insignificant at first, until someone thinks to request the names of some bard's songs. Then you have the bird freely buffing the party as per normal bardic music.

A mirror which reveals someone's true self. A ragged hobo might appear to be a noble samuri in the mirror, but otherwise himself. A raging orc barbarian might be revealed as his childhood self, one eye blackened in it. Obvious game uses would be to reveal people who are polymorphed; it wouldn't show them as they normally look, but it would show their true self.

Any sort of shrinking/growing objects. A chair that can shift from fine to colossal size would have almost infinite uses to a creative party.

A full-sized door with frame. When placed against a wall and opened, it creates a temporary passwall through the wall. Unfortunately, the door can't be pulled through itself, and as soon as the door closes, the passwall effect ends.

Key of Knock.

A small glowing glass sphere that's brightness is inversely proportional to the surrounding darkness. In perfect darkness it sheds light as Daylight. In direct sunlight it's completely dim. Useful, for everything from lighting rooms to messing with drow.

A length of wood or carpet that doesn't fly - it glides an inch above any liquid or solid. It couldn't be touched on in surface other than the top. With the lack of anything except air resistance, it could drift for long distances after every push. Useful for crossing difficult terrain, hauling heavy things, and gliding over lava. Not worth as much as a carpet of flying, but still very useful.

Clothes that change colour to fit their surroundings. Not even as much as a chameleon effect, though. In a desert city they'll be white, tan, and beige. In the woods, they'll be brown and green. That sort of thing.

All kinds of permanently animated objects. Especially animated versions of afore-mentioned objects.

Mood clothing. Massive penalty on bluff checks, but what novelty!

Refrigerator.

A minute metal object that can create a tiny flame at will. Basically a magical zippo. Great for lighting any kind of fire.

A tent that sets itself up or takes itself down in a single round on command. With or without an internal extradimensional space.

A cooker. You put in unliving organic materials and tell it what type of food you want, which it makes a full serving of. You could put in wood chips and get back ice cream.

Just a few ideas.

PumpkinJack
2009-07-23, 12:17 PM
I once had a idea for a wizard character who wanted to bring modern conveniences to the common man through cheap magic items based on cantrips and first-level spells, many of which are ripe with opportunities for fun items. For instance, Prestidigitation--why not create an object than can use that cantrip to generate small, simple illusions and store them for later viewing. You could use them to model maps or schematics or just contain a message to be viewed by someone else. Courts could use them to recreate a witness's memory of a crime. Incorporate in some Ghost Sound and you've got the magical equivalent of a movie projector or a computer.

Another Prestidigitation use--how about clothes that clean/dry themselves no matter how wet or dirty they get (which they should get pretty dirty for most adventurers)

Mage Hand would make for a fun object like a universal remote control to move small objects at a distance. What thief would be without a pair of gloves that cast Mage Hand? What king wouldn't want to ring the servant's bell across the room instead of moving over there to do it himself? ;) Cantrips and first-level spells would make for relatively cheap magic items that non-wizards might own for conveniences which can make them fun to place in your campaign with unusual owners.

Unseen Servant creates some interesting ideas since it's capable of performing DC 10 tasks as long as they can be done untrained. You could have little figurines that perform DC 10 listen checks and yell out what they hear if they hear something. Same with DC 10 spot checks. Or just animated servants that can perform specific tasks like cutlery that prepares a meal for you or shovels that dig on command or shears that give you a decent haircut or a shirt that gives you a back massage.

I sometimes wondered if you couldn't create factories out of multiple uses of Animate Dead (for heavy lifting) and Unseen Servant (for DC 10 intelligence in performing tasks). Or imagine the possibilities for a shipping empire based on boats with Levitate and Shadow Walk... Of course, I'm digressing... It's too bad I never got a chance to play that character. ;)

If you want to create interesting magic items that aren't combat-oriented but are still useful, relating them to skills is one way to go, especially if you create items that can perform skills that the player characters can't. Maybe an intelligent book with a knowledge score in some area from which the players can ask questions. Or a musical instrument / dancing shoes that allow the wearer to perform one DC 20 performance per week. Or a disembodied eye that can search for secret doors or traps for you with a given skill rating.

DracoDei
2009-07-23, 12:51 PM
Ok, a little background on this for those of you who never played, or don't remember 2nd edition. In second edition the Girdle* of Ogre Power and its bigger brothers were the strength boosting item that 3.X players know as the Belt of Strength... EXCEPT, instead of giving a bonus, they instead flat out RAISED the wearers strength to a certain level... which was a bit problematic because if you were making a higher level fighter you would want to make strength your dump stat since your actual strength didn't matter when you were wearing the girdle. It also meant that the party mage could theoretically boost himself to be as strong as the fighter just by buying or finding the right item. Well... I think most people would agree that the 3.X system is better than that, but at the same time I did have an idea for an item that would make SENSE for hermit wizard to have that would make him incredibly strong. Because he probably wants to re-arrange his furniture occasionally, or build an extra room onto his tower... I can't recall if I initially had the idea during the 2nd or the 3.X days.

*don't laugh, that is what most scholars translated the word for the metal/heavy leather pieces of armor that kept the heroes of the Illiad and the Odyssey from getting stabbed through the guts.

I gave up on trying to get the price right since by the time I got around to it, putting it in this thread would have qualified as necromancy.. but the general mathmatical format is right.

Belt of Laboring
This wide leather belt looks like the sort a weight-lifter or laborer might wear, save that it is richly tooled with images of pack-animals carrying great loads of intriguing looking cargo.
This device grants great strength in every area of the body, sufficient to make even the feeblest of the elderly strong enough to stand and walk. This power comes with a limit though since it only applies in areas of the body that are being moved veeeeerrrrry sllllllloooooowly. It raises the wearers strength to a static value, but only as long as the character choses to remain flat-footed and with an effective dexterity of 1 for any actions that require speed of movement (as opposed to precision of movement only). It takes them 2 full rounds to complete even a partial action (except purely mental actions which they may perform at the same rate). All their melee attacks against targets that are not immobile miss (IE Dex - or Paralyzed). Exceptions to the partial action thing are as follows they may move as if they had a speed of 5 feet or they may draw back a bow as a full round action, and then end the effect as the first attack of a full attack action the next round (so if you see an archer with a "back-up" weapon that looks like someone dismounted the arms from a ballista, they are probably wearing one of these). Activating the strength effect is a swift action, and ending it requires no action and can happen at any time, even in response to an attack so as not to take the defensive penalties for it.

Market Price = 500 gp + 100 gp ((Strength Score granted -9)^2)
Requirements: Craft Wonderous Item, Bull's Strength, crafter must have a caster level at least equal to the strength granted -15.

Bleh... that came out even a bit worse than I thought it would, but at least I have the first draft up where people (including me) can see it and find the ways to improve it. It is a very good concept I think, just a hard one to phrase correctly. I should perhaps find another way to phrase it than partial actions... I want one of the uses to be that if you can grapple someone, you can do a LOT of damage, IF they don't manage to escape.

jagadaishio
2009-07-24, 10:31 AM
Any sort of construct that makes a good servitor but is useless in combat.

Floor surfaces that affect your movement. Whether they slow, hasten, or do any of various effects based on square or person.

Lysander
2009-07-24, 10:46 AM
Rocks fall, nobody dies unless they're flying:

Antigravity Stones
They look exactly like normal rocks, except they fall upwards instead of downwards. The larger they are the heavier they are. Putting one in a pack can lighten your load, assuming the bag is strong enough to not tear from the upward force. Some bags actually have small antigravity stones woven into them so the bag inherently has a negative weight, but this requires you always be careful to have something weighing it down or it might float away.

AG stones can also be used to construct weightless or light weight objects by balancing the amount of ag stone and normal material. This allows the creation of massive structures a single person can move, such as an immense gate that is strong and securely bolted but when unlocked can be raised by a child, or a castle that only weighs a few thousand pounds and can be transported by a team of porters.

AG stones can also be released to drop up on flying creatures, but unless there is a ceiling this inevitably loses the stone to the sky.

While ag stones can be created, they also occur as a naturally mined material deep underground. AG stones are never found on the surface for obvious reasons.

jagadaishio
2009-07-24, 11:02 AM
Rocks fall, nobody dies unless they're flying:

Antigravity Stones
They look exactly like normal rocks, except they fall upwards instead of downwards. The larger they are the heavier they are. Putting one in a pack can lighten your load, assuming the bag is strong enough to not tear from the upward force. Some bags actually have small antigravity stones woven into them so the bag inherently has a negative weight, but this requires you always be careful to have something weighing it down or it might float away.

AG stones can also be used to construct weightless or light weight objects by balancing the amount of ag stone and normal material. This allows the creation of massive structures a single person can move, such as an immense gate that is strong and securely bolted but when unlocked can be raised by a child, or a castle that only weighs a few thousand pounds and can be transported by a team of porters.

AG stones can also be released to drop up on flying creatures, but unless there is a ceiling this inevitably loses the stone to the sky.

While ag stones can be created, they also occur as a naturally mined material deep underground. AG stones are never found on the surface for obvious reasons.

That is fantastic. It would be even more useful if it was some sort of metallic ore that was exhibiting those qualities.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-24, 11:22 AM
That is fantastic. It would be even more useful if it was some sort of metallic ore that was exhibiting those qualities.

Yeah, then you could make a realistic maglev train in D&D without your DM twitching at the mention of magnetism. :smallwink: Since the cursed item that weighs you down is a loadstone, perhaps they would be called unloadstones?

Lysander
2009-07-24, 11:54 AM

Perhaps its actually the metal that causes the effect. The ore already has a heavy negative weight as a rock, but if refined into a pure metal it becomes a very dense very anti-heavy substance.

As a stone it could be called an Unload Stone, as a metal it could be called Gravmetal. Skilled smiths might use Gravmetal alloys to create paper light armor that is still steel, or make a giant sword worthy of anime weigh no more than a small blade.

Or, fitting with the "useful items that aren't for war" theme, imagine pure Gravmetal horseshoes that allow specially trained steeds to jump twice as high. Or a gravmetal alloy harness that reduces the speed of a person's fall so a jump off a high cliff would have the impact of leaping off a ledge.

Milskidasith
2009-07-24, 12:25 PM
Or gravmetal jewelry so that fashion models can lose five pounds without even trying!

Lysander
2009-07-24, 12:33 PM
There could also be types of gravmetal that gain or lose their negative weight based on conditions. Such as a metal that has its weight turn negative when it is heated (hot air balloon minus the balloon!)

DracoDei
2009-07-24, 01:23 PM
A sheet of very heavy leather 4' on a side, dyed a uniform grey. On command by someone touching it, it turns to stone or back... it is any everything object, especially if you have ranks in Craft (Origami). If cut in leather form or broken in stone form, only the largest piece retains the ability to transform.
Craft Wondrous Item, Stone to Flesh, Flesh to Stone Caster level 11, Market Price: 500 gp.

Celebrochan
2009-07-24, 01:44 PM
Pirate ship in a bottle with free pirates!

A "jump" rope that either adds to jump checks when worn as a belt, or pulls itself taunt (becomes a quarterstaff) upon command.

Gold so pure that it glows (this comes from Norse Myth actually)

Magic beans... of various types ;) be careful not to eat the wrong ones

A mirror that lets you see yourself with different hair styles

and don't forget humorous items or gag items

a book titled "I, Golem"

A hat of rabbit summoning (with or without vorpal template)

Lysander
2009-07-24, 02:00 PM
A few more items:

Moon Ink
Based off the runes in the Hobbit, a magical ink that is invisible even to True Seeing, except when exposed to moonlight it faintly glows. Could either be a small bottle, or come in a pen.

Bags of Sharing
Two or more bags of holding that share a single extradimensional space. That means no matter where the bags are, the owners can place and withdraw items from the same store, and transfer small items across distances that way.

Ethereal glass
Anyone looking through this glass can see the ethereal plane on the other side. Sometimes cut into glasses so people can observe ghosts (stole this idea from a terrible movie). A mirror made from the stuff will show ghosts as well in the reflection. Ethereal glass on the ethereal plane is still visible on the material plane, providing an intangible window for material plane observes to look through to the ethereal plane. Someone on the ethereal plane looking through ethereal glass sees the Material plane sharply and vividly in all its color, though there must be light on the other side to be able to see.

Everchew Gum
A magic piece of gum enchanted to never lose its flavor or consistency no longer how long it is chewed. Some gross individuals keep their gum for years, sticking it underneath tables when they aren't using it.

Chill Cubes
A hollow metal cube enchanted to always remain cold. When put in water it acts like unmelting reusable ice. Since chill cubes can absorb unlimited amounts of heat one cube can eventually chill a large container of water, even a swimming pool, albeit slowly and only if the ambient temperature isn't high.

Jergmo
2009-07-24, 05:22 PM
A talking book that reads itself (useful in general for the illiterate masses), however, players could use it for a number of things, like setting up a diversion.

Aw, jeez, I had a whole friggin' list of items like these, and I'm having difficulty remembering some of them. I know I also had a stick that always stood up on one end.

Oh! And a deck of cards, with clubs, diamonds, spades, and hearts. If you drew a club, you'd get a lousy wooden club. If you got a diamond (very rare), a small diamond. A spade, you get a small shovel, and if you get a heart...well, bub, you're now the proud owner of a mysterious still-beating heart!

PumpkinJack
2009-07-24, 05:23 PM
A sheet of very heavy leather 4' on a side, dyed a uniform grey. On command by someone touching it, it turns to stone or back... it is any everything object, especially if you have ranks in Craft (Origami).

Wow, that's a really cool idea! How much better to have a unique, reusable magic item for Minor/Major Creation instead of a wand.

The rechewable gum idea made me think Willy Wonka and Harry Potter have a lot of great ideas for fun magic items.

DracoDei
2009-07-24, 06:18 PM
Wow, that's a really cool idea! How much better to have a unique, reusable magic item for Minor/Major Creation instead of a wand.
Actually, the spells it is based around are Stone to Flesh and Flesh to Stone. (Which I have now edited in, along with the rest of the creation information, although it lacks formatting, and the price is just a guess.)

AgentPaper
2009-07-24, 06:33 PM
I was more thinking magic items that at first seemed to be useless, if interesting, which the players could then figure out creative uses for. Like the aforementioned rope that unties itself when you let go, and the stick that will stand straight up on one end.

And the gravmetal is such a good idea, I think I'm going to use it in my next campaign. I even know the perfect way for it to fit in. Awesome! Although I'm not so sure "gravmetal" really fits in a fantasy world as a name. Seems more like the slang term for something in a steampunk or sci-fi setting.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-24, 07:51 PM
Sword of Loyalty

This is a very powerful magic item, which was bestowed upon a famous warrior, although... it had some very odd problems.

You see, he didn't want anyone to use his weapon. So it was enchanted such that it would always come to him, no matter how far away it was, whenever he needed it. Furthermore, whenever anyone other than he used it, the bonuses would instead become penalties.

Right, that was all well and good for him. So he died of old age, surrounded by his grandkids and great-grandkids.

So what became of the sword? Well, that's the odd part. You see, the weapon developed a few quirks, now that the original owner was deceased. Since no one else was 'him', it functions as a cursed item for any wielder, however because of the loyalty clause, any time anyone claimed it as theirs, they found it impossible to get rid of. Any time they tried to attack with their weapon of choice, they found this sword in their hands instead.

In effect, this is a two-handed sword, which is a -3 cursed sword. Furthermore, any time the person tries to attack, regardless of what weapon is currently equipped, or even if attempting to attack unarmed, the sword instantly pops into their hands. Any attack roll, regardless of the type, must be made with this weapon. Even if it is dropped, sold, given away, or attempted to be destroyed, it will always pop back into the hands for the next attack.

jagadaishio
2009-07-24, 08:07 PM
Sword of Loyalty

This is a very powerful magic item, which was bestowed upon a famous warrior, although... it had some very odd problems.

You see, he didn't want anyone to use his weapon. So it was enchanted such that it would always come to him, no matter how far away it was, whenever he needed it. Furthermore, whenever anyone other than he used it, the bonuses would instead become penalties.

Right, that was all well and good for him. So he died of old age, surrounded by his grandkids and great-grandkids.

So what became of the sword? Well, that's the odd part. You see, the weapon developed a few quirks, now that the original owner was deceased. Since no one else was 'him', it functions as a cursed item for any wielder, however because of the loyalty clause, any time anyone claimed it as theirs, they found it impossible to get rid of. Any time they tried to attack with their weapon of choice, they found this sword in their hands instead.

In effect, this is a two-handed sword, which is a -3 cursed sword. Furthermore, any time the person tries to attack, regardless of what weapon is currently equipped, or even if attempting to attack unarmed, the sword instantly pops into their hands. Any attack roll, regardless of the type, must be made with this weapon. Even if it is dropped, sold, given away, or attempted to be destroyed, it will always pop back into the hands for the next attack.

Very useful if you're just trying to make a profit. You can sell it to someone, walk away, and try to punch a barrel or something. Bam; infinite money scheme.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-24, 08:10 PM
Very useful if you're just trying to make a profit. You can sell it to someone, walk away, and try to punch a barrel or something. Bam; infinite money scheme.

Assuming your local merchants don't have any method of identifying the fact that it is cursed...

that would not be a safe assumption in any setting I run.

Also, that assumes that the merchants wouldn't be very irate and wealthy enough to hire 'repo squads' to go after the PC in questino, which also would not be a safe assumption.

Milskidasith
2009-07-24, 08:21 PM
So how do you get rid of the cursed weapon? I mean, giving a player a -3 cursed sword of unintentional calling (that's what the armor enhancement is, right? Called armor?) (which is essentially what it is) is going to make them hate you, especially if they are a ranged build. Not to mention the fact that it is essentially just another one of the "combat only" magic items the TC said he didn't want.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-24, 09:09 PM
So how do you get rid of the cursed weapon? I mean, giving a player a -3 cursed sword of unintentional calling (that's what the armor enhancement is, right? Called armor?) (which is essentially what it is) is going to make them hate you, especially if they are a ranged build. Not to mention the fact that it is essentially just another one of the "combat only" magic items the TC said he didn't want.

Actually, it's more inconvenient than that. You see, any time you try to make an attack, even so much as pushing people around in a bar, it pops into your hands. So suddenly it goes from a drunken brawl which can be ignored to "OMG! He just pulled a HUGE SWORD OUT!" which makes the situation much more deadly, and much more likely to get the local law enforcement involved. Not to mention the escalation factor. "Oh, so you're gonna pull your sword, eh? Fine, two can play that game!", and in general, make him seem a whole lot more hostile than he really is.

To get rid of it? Simple, you've got to get a Remove Curse. Of course, it'll just stick to the next person who claims it, so it would be best to donate it to the temple.

Milskidasith
2009-07-24, 09:37 PM
Couldn't you also disjunction the sword? >_>

TSED
2009-07-24, 11:06 PM
Glasses of Flawfinding

Upon donning these glasses, the world appears a dark and grey place. This is only alleviated by either removing the glasses or looking at manufactured items or uncut gems. Any imperfection in the craftsmanship, material, or the like glows a bright white. Most hand-made objects glow a faint grey, as tiny unnoticeable imperfections still exist. Noticeable imperfections glow much brighter, appearing as tiny white lightning lining the problematic area.

When these glasses are worn normally, they cause a -4 to spot checks, but a +2 to search checks. Additionally, the wearer gains a +4 bonus to appraise checks. If only one lens is being worn, the penalties and bonuses are halved. Lastly, the -4 penalty to spot checks becomes a +4 bonus if creatures wielding rough or crude items are the owner of the opposed hide checks.

Lysander
2009-07-25, 04:36 PM
Here's my attempt to make less obviously useful items that require more creativity to exploit:

Invisibility Jar
A small glass jar or bottle. Anything inside is entirely invisible so the jar always looks empty. It doesn't prevent objects from rattling if the jar is shaken.

Safety Arrow
This arrow instantly loses all momentum and falls down if it hits a living organism. Even if fired at point blank range it will not deal a single point of damage. Plants will also stop it, but if can be fired into dead material like cut wood. It will not stop for undead creatures. If the arrow magically stops it takes no damage and can be fired again, otherwise it is spent.

Vanish Balls
A small brightly colored wooden ball. When a command word is shouted the ball permanently vanishes without a trace. This effect works if the ball is anywhere within earshot of the command word, no matter who utters it. Vanish Balls usually come in a set of several balls, and are often used for juggling tricks.

Fake Nose
A small flesh nose. If place on skin anywhere on the body it instantly melds to that spot. It can pulled off and reattached without limit. Though the nose can't be used to breathe, a person wearing it can use it to smell even if they aren't breathing with their real nose.

Set
2009-07-25, 09:45 PM
Various cantrips and 1st level spells can be used to make neat low level magic items.

Everfull Waterskin – this ½ gallon capacity waterskin is always full, although water that is poured from it disappears if it is not consumed within 1 minute. Up to 2 gallons of water are produced each day from the waterskin. (create water)

Apothecary’s Bandage – this re-usable silken bandage allows any wounded wearer to recover one extra hit point per night, although it must be worn for eight full hours to take effect and the bandage cannot be used more than once per 24 hours. If the wearer is undergoing complete bedrest while wearing this bandage, he recovers three times his character level in hit points, rather than twice his character level. No matter what wound it covers, it is always clean and fresh-smelling when removed. (cure minor wounds)

Guided Weapon – this weapon is always a favored weapon of a specific faith, and engraved with holy symbols and sacred imagery representative of that faith. As a standard action, the user can summon up a limited guidance effect, granting him a +1 to his next attack roll with that weapon within the next minute. A more potent variation on this item can be invoked as a move action, allowing the bearer to use guidance to augment a single attack roll every round, as a full-round action. (guidance)

Brazen Shield – this shield is made of gleaming brass and depicts a wild-tressed maiden dancing provocatively on its surface. When worn in a brightly lit area (daylight equivalent), anyone in melee combat with the user, or targeting him with a missile attack from any range, suffers a -1 to attack rolls to strike him. This is a light-based effect, and creatures who are blind or otherwise unaffected by light effects are immune. Creatures with daylight sensitivity have instead a -2 to attack rolls to strike the shields bearer. (flare)

Amulet of Oak, Ash and Thorn – As a standard action, this wooden bauble can be opened to reveal a single goodberry, up to six times per day, but no more than once per hour. (goodberry)

Emmorath’s Handy Brand – this club has a head that resembles a torch, and the bearer can take a standard action to cause it to ignite, shedding torch intensity light for the duration. If it strikes another person while ‘lit,’ it inflicts +1 Fire damage, or +1d3 Fire damage on a Critical hit. (ray of fire)

Wee One’s Fighting Stick – this club or quarterstaff is sized for a small or tiny user (50% of either, if found randomly), but functions as if it was one size class larger for damage purposes. (shillelagh)

Bloodthirsty Weapon – this weapon is often a favored weapon of a specific neutral or evil faith, and engraved with holy symbols and sacred imagery representative of that faith. Bloodthirsty weapons are traditionally made from bone, black iron, obsidian or other ‘sinister’ materials. As a standard action, the wielder can conjure up negative energy within the weapon that causes it to inflict one extra point of negative energy damage on its next hit. A more potent variation on this item can be invoked as a move action, allowing the user to inflict extra negative energy damage with a single attack roll every round as a full-round action. (inflict minor wounds)

Mending property - placed on any item, the holder can invoke the effects of a mending cantrip on that item as a standard action. The item can also magically cleanse iteself of grit, grime or gore with a command. (mending *and* prestidigitation)

Soft Bone Mask – the wearer of this skull-mask gains a +1 bonus to intimidate checks and upon a successful Intimidate check, those affected are shaken for 1d4 rounds instead of one round. (cause fear *and* guidance)

Monocle of Mastery – this monocle is set within a golden rim that is inscribed with many characters in a specific language. While it is worn or held over text, the user can read the specific language keyed to the monocle at half normal speed, even if he does not know that language.

Clasp of Mastery – this silver earcuff secures to the edge of a humanoid ear, and is marked with characters in a specific language. While it is worn, the wearer can understand words spoken in that language as if he were a native speaker. He cannot speak or read the language, however.

Caduceus – this wand resembles twin serpents of ebony and white ash, encircling each other. The wielder can make a Heal check to determine the status of people within 30 ft. by making a Heal check at DC 15. (The DC drops to 5 for anyone within reach.) The status levels indicated are;
Dead, Dying (stabilized), Dying (not stabilized), Grievously Wounded (0 hp), Critically Wounded (25% or less hp), Seriously Wounded (50% or less hp), Moderately Wounded (75% or less hp), Lightly Wounded (99% or less hp) or Unharmed (100% hp). A failed check will usually produce a result within one place in either direction. (deathwatch)

Aba of the Dune-Walker – these desert travel clothes give +4 to Fortitude saves to avoid the effects of high temperatures (over and above any mundane bonus) and does not suffer a -4 bonus for heavy clothing or armor worn. (endure elements - heat)

Parka of the Winter Wastes – these cold-weather survival clothes give +4 to Fortitude saves to avoid the effects of cold temperatures (over and above any mundane bonus) and does not suffer any additional penalty for wearing metal armor (although the parka provides no bonus against magically-empowered cold attacks, such as Chill Metal). (endure elements - cold)

Shielding Bracer – found in pairs, these steel bracers are inscribed with protective runes and / or imagery. Each confers a +1 AC bonus vs. ranged attacks and a Damage Reduction of 1 vs. magic missile spells (or spell-like abilities). Two can be worn by most humanoids, to provide a total +2 AC vs. ranged attacks and DR 2 vs. magic missile effects. (shield)

Manikin Armor – this tiny suit of meticulously crafted full plate armor can be invoked as a standard action, disappearing to create a translucent suit of plate armor that acts as a mage armor spell over the talisman’s bearer for up to one hour per day. It can be activated multiple times, so long as the total duration does not exceed one hour. The talisman reappears in the users hand when the effect is cancelled (as a free action). (mage armor)

Raven’s Feather Cloak – this cloak of black raven’s feathers flares out whenever the wearer falls any distance over 10 ft., subtracting 10 ft. from the total falling distance for the purposes of falling damage. The cloak also confers a +10 bonus to Acrobatics checks to mitigate falling damage, and this stacks with the 10 ft. automatic reduction. (feather fall)

Mountain Giant’s Mantle – This bulky set of furs and animal-hide shoulderpads allow the wearer to be treated as if one size class larger for the purposes of trips, bull rushes, overruns, etc. (enlarge person)

Eel-skin Vest – this slick smooth leathery jerkin allows the wearer to ‘squeeze’ as if he was one size class smaller, and confers a +4 bonus to Escape Artist checks. (grease *and* reduce person)

kentma57
2009-07-25, 11:28 PM
My Artificer made a magic item that casts alter person on me, and summoned a group of of Zombies trained to preform the Thriller support dancing.

I broke my DM, and it only cost 80xp.

jagadaishio
2009-07-26, 08:18 AM
My Artificer made a magic item that casts alter person on me, and summoned a group of of Zombies trained to preform the Thriller support dancing.

I broke my DM, and it only cost 80xp.

Nice, man.