PDA

View Full Version : Martial/Exotic Crossbow

TempesT
2009-07-23, 01:42 AM
Hello All,

In an upcoming game I was thinking of playing a demon-hunter based
Paladin/Ranger, part of the fluff for the character is using a crossbow with the rapid reload feat. I wanted to know if there were any Crossbows that were a little more powerful to match with bows that would fit into the matial/exotic catigories.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-23, 01:57 AM
There's the Icechucker in Frostburn, an exotic crossbow that fires either large icicles or javelins, dealing 1d12 base damage with a x3 crit. It takes a full round action to reload, which would be down to a move action with Rapid Reload, so you still wouldn't be able to full attack with it.

There's really no reason to use a crossbow over a bow other than (lack of) proficiency. Historically, soldiers were trained to use crossbows because it was so much easier to master than a bow, shove a bunch of crossbows into the hands of some peasants with some basic instruction and you've got an army. The better trained/skilled soldiers used bows because they were superior weapons, crossbows were a second choice that generals would resort to when they needed troops quickly. A soldier who knew how to use a bow wouldn't be given a crossbow and mixed in with the lower class conscripts, and a PC who knows how to use a bow shouldn't try to make the best of a second-rate weapon when you've got a superior option.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-23, 01:59 AM
The Crossbow Sniper feat could be useful for a Rogue or Scout due to doubling the range at which you can use Skirmish or Sneak Attack damage to a crossbow while letting youapply half your Dex to damage. (It's on page 31 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf .)

SethFahad
2009-07-23, 02:17 AM
Tempest may I use your thread to ask a similar question? - Thank you... :smallsmile:

I'm a huge fan of Waylander the Slayer (David A. Gemmell, Drenai Saga) and I'm looking for a hand-crossbow like the one Waylander has. Something like a double-handcrossbow, that fires 2 bolt's with a full round action.

Have you guys seen something like this in ANY of the books out there? :smallfrown:

edit: and please don't tell me about "repeating" crossbows...

Mavian
2009-07-23, 02:26 AM
Tempest may I use your thread to ask a similar question? - Thank you... :smallsmile:

I'm a huge fan of Waylander the Slayer (David A. Gemmell, Drenai Saga) and I'm looking for a hand-crossbow like the one Waylander has. Something like a double-handcrossbow, that fires 2 bolt's with a full round action.

Have you guys seen something like this in ANY of the books out there? :smallfrown:

edit: and please don't tell me about "repeating" crossbows...

Double hand crossbow? Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)

Races of Stone has the Great Crossbow. 2d8, 18-20x2, but its not listed in the rapid reload feat description.

TempesT
2009-07-23, 09:25 AM
I was kinda thinking about using the double Crossbow, by the way when enchanting it would you have to enchant the whole thing or each crossbow individualy?