PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting and Reviving Constructs

Laurellien
2009-07-23, 07:17 AM
I am sure that in my wide-ranging travels across the world of Dungeons and Dragons, somewhere I encountered a spell which restores a destroyed construct to life. My question is, where would that have been?

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-23, 08:44 AM
My google search resulted in a link to crystalkeep's forums and a homebrewed Revive Construct (http://www.crystalkeep.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8902&sid=900cb3132eb6c78192daa0dbc4e6d8f6) spell. As a 7th-level spell it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Edit: It also seems to appear on the wotc forums (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-820672.html). I can't be bothered to figure out which is the original. Spell listed in spoiler. Remember, this is a homebrew and not 'official D&D'. Because we know everything wotc produced was balanced...
Revive Construct
Conjuration
Level: Sorc/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Destroyed construct touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Often used by spellcasters with favored golems, or by Wizards who possess Spellbook Familiars, this spell returns destroyed Constructs to full health and mobility. The construct in question must have been destroyed for no more than one day per caster level.

A revived Construct has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. This spell regenerates any constructs that have been disintigrated or, in the case of Spellbook Familiars, burnt. None of the construct's equipment or possessions, if any, are affected in any way by this spell.

In the case of mindless constructs, this spell simply restores them to good physical condition, restoring all physical identifiers. Not only are intelligent constructs restored in the same way, but this spell allows them to return with the same mind as they had before they were destroyed - all memories and personality are intact. No construct which has been thus revived has ever been convinced to speak of what they experienced during the interim - all such questions are ignored. Some scholars wonder if this reluctance indicates that they experienced nothing at all, while others believe that whatever manner of soul animates such things is bound to silence in whatever realm in which it passes the interim.

For unknown reasons, this spell does not function on constructs with the Living Construct subtype.

Material Component
Raw materials similar to those from which the construct is constructed, costing at least half of the total cost of that construct (minimum 1,000 GP).

obnoxious
sig

Anxe
2009-07-23, 11:18 AM
Wish or Miracle are supposed to do it too aren't they?

Charity
2009-07-23, 11:30 AM
try turning it off and on again... have you checked the power supply?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-23, 01:02 PM
Given that there are Revive Undead and Revive Outsider(Cleric 6, 5,000GP, outsiders don't lose levels but Undead do) spells in the SpC, it surprises me that there's no Construct version, especially with the popularity of Eberron.