PDA

View Full Version : Power for forth level brute

Leeham
2009-07-23, 02:34 PM
what do you guys think of this power?

Roar of Terror (Standard; Encounter) Thunder, Fear

Close busrt 1; +4 vs fort; 1d6+4 thunder damage and the creature makes a secondary attack Secondary Attack: +4 vs. Will; the target is pushed 2 squares

Yakk
2009-07-23, 02:48 PM
I'd be tempted to make it:
+4 vs Fort and Will. Fort hit: Blah. Will hit: Blah.

I'd also make it a power that goes off when first bloodied.

I might also be tempted to boost it to close burst 2, because it is a roar, not a melee attack.

Say 2-3 targets. So the pro-rated average damage is 11.25 to 15. I'd then have to compare it to the DMG guidelines and the other damage output of the monster to make sure this is a Brute.

Leeham
2009-07-23, 04:18 PM
actually, that does sound more... Brutey. Thanks

Ninetail
2009-07-23, 05:20 PM
1d6+4 is accurate for at-will low damage for a level 4 brute. For an encounter power, I'd boost this up to high, 2d8+4, and make it recharge 6. Or I might use medium, 1d10+4, but make it recharge 5-6.

Recharge and immediate use when first bloodied seems good, too.

I like the combined attack suggestion. If it's supernatural, I might do something like:

Hit vs. Fort: 1d10+4 thunder damage
Hit vs. Will: 1d6 psychic damage, and push two squares.

This works out to about the same as 2d8+4, and adds the Psychic keyword.

Burst 2 or even burst 3 wouldn't be an issue. It's not a terribly dangerous power, as you had it. Or even as I'm suggesting... it's still at-will damage on a limited-use power.

Mando Knight
2009-07-23, 05:27 PM
I'd save High damage for a single-target encounter or recharge Elite or Solo attack. A Dragon's Dragon Breath power tends to use damage rolls on par with the medium damage rating, and is also an area attack. 2d8+4 is about on par with a player's encounter power damage, or on par with a Ranger or Rogue's single-target 1/round damage.