PDA

View Full Version : The Mainstream

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 04:29 PM
On this website, I've noticed lots of fans of indie, or, merely independent, music. However, I pose a question - how often do you fans ignore/hate music simply because it is mainstream?

JonestheSpy
2009-07-23, 05:51 PM
Most mainstrema music I just don't like, and haven't for a long time. I try and keep open minded though, and not just retreat into the shell of liking stuff that sounds like what I listened to when I was a teenager.

Right now, I'm pretty fond of Lady GaGa. As far as dance music goes, it's quite fun to listen to and she's a lot smarter than yer average pop star. It doesn't hurt that I happened to see her live by complete accident a year ago, before she got famous. Very good in person.

Oregano
2009-07-23, 06:05 PM
Well I don't like much mainstream music nowadays but that's because most mainstream music nowadays is of genres that I hate but I don't think I'm particularily indie or nonconformist.

WalkingTarget
2009-07-24, 12:09 AM
I like the music I like. Who else likes or hates it is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Indie that 5 people have heard of or triple platinum albums, it doesn't matter as long as it resonates with me somehow.

Icewalker
2009-07-24, 01:17 AM
I like the music I like. Who else likes or hates it is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Indie that 5 people have heard of or triple platinum albums, it doesn't matter as long as it resonates with me somehow.

Exactly how I feel. To the point that I use the word resonate with regards to songs that really fit with me....now I'm suspicious...

:smallwink:

But yeah. Honestly, I'm so separated from any knowledgeable music scene that I don't actually know whether or not what I'm listening to is mainstream, I just like it or not.

Vaynor
2009-07-24, 01:57 AM
I don't care if it's mainstream or not, but I definitely tend to like the less popular music, not because it is less popular but because it suits my tastes. I guess I just really don't like dance, rap, hip hop, metal, or pop music.

Mx.Silver
2009-07-24, 04:40 AM
I don't think that music is crap simply because of it being mainstream, I just find the overwhelming majority of mainstream stuff crap. That said, if I like a song or artist I will listen to them regardless of their popularity or age.

Ecalsneerg
2009-07-24, 05:09 AM

Quoted for truth.

Unfortunately, this has led to looks of confusion and terror when people borrow my MP3 player and put it on shuffle.

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 05:13 AM
I must admit I do have an unfortunate tendency to like something more or less depending on who it's by, and/or whether it's played on JJJ. I do try to fight against it, though. There is nothing innately wrong with pop - after all, that's what the Beatles did for a significant portion of their careers. I really hate it when... mainstream, I suppose, folks call something that is obviously pop, "rock". Seriously, are they completely unable to tell the difference between these genres? At least Avril Lavigne looks sorta punk, even if she most certainly is not.

I do quite like some Robbie Williams stuff, I like Our Kylie, and I admire Madonna, and like I said, if I hear pop (or other mainstream) I like, I like it - although it may be a bit harder for me to like it, if you know what I mean.

Sort of related: There was a sort of an anniversary tribute or something to Silverchair on Triple J a while ago. They played an interview with them from when they first got started. They declared that they hoped they never got played on commercial radio (JJJ is part of the ABC, a government-run station) because that would mean they sold out.

Jalor
2009-07-24, 08:09 AM
Again, I listen to music I like whether or not it's mainstream. It's just that most mainstream music now is pop and hip-hop, neither of which I like.

Mainstream rock is also terrible now, because all the singers have that same frakking whiny voice, and all the guitarists just mash power chords on the beat for the entire song. It's just the trend now though; I like mainstream rock from the 60s and 70s, because they played notes and didn't sound like whining children.

My friends do joke about my music elitism. I tend to respond with the word "sheeple".

TRM
2009-07-24, 11:15 AM
Exactly how I feel. To the point that I use the word resonate with regards to songs that really fit with me....now I'm suspicious...

But yeah. Honestly, I'm so separated from any knowledgeable music scene that I don't actually know whether or not what I'm listening to is mainstream, I just like it or not.
Same for me.

I listen to music to enjoy it. If this means that I end up playing Coldplay and Lady Gaga (who is amazing, by the way) along with my Arcade Fire (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/30/40-indie-music/), then so be it.

Though, I do intentionally seek out music that is not mainstream. This is so that, when people ask, I can tell them all these bands I listen to that they've never heard of. So far, I don't have any good ones, but I will continue with my struggle.

Faulty
2009-07-24, 11:23 AM
I think mainstream has two meanings:

1) Mainstream: Something widely known or popular.
2) "Mainstream": Something generic, conformist, purposefully watered down or made with the intention of making money or being popular, or something that is insincere, or incredibly derivative.

I don't like the latter, but I don't mind the former. Good music is good regardless of the number of listeners.

Swordlol
2009-07-24, 11:26 AM
I don't like Mainstream music, it's just that simple.

Edit: I guess I should expand on this with more depth. In New Jersey radio stations such as Z100.3 and Now FM... I think 97.3 (I might be wrong), play what they claim "Today's Top Hits" which consists of Britney Spears, Jonas Brothers, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, etc.

I simply don't like that music. Now I do like Coldplay, I do like Incubus, I do like Cake - From what I read, some of you may consider those bands to be "main stream", personally I never thought of them like that becuase when I was younger I did listen to Z100, and never heard any of those bands played on that station. I feel like I have evolved, and listening to better music. I feel that I was listening to Z100 because I was a horny teenager, and that was the music teenagers (at least where I live) listen and like. I feel now that I listen to Cage the Elephant, Miike Snow, VNV Nation, Gogol Bordello - I am no longer listening to "main stream" music. And I can honestly say, I fully believe that the music I listen to now, is better than what I use to listen to on Z100.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-07-24, 03:54 PM
Again, I listen to music I like whether or not it's mainstream. It's just that most mainstream music now is pop and hip-hop, neither of which I like.

Mainstream rock is also terrible now, because all the singers have that same frakking whiny voice, and all the guitarists just mash power chords on the beat for the entire song. It's just the trend now though; I like mainstream rock from the 60s and 70s, because they played notes and didn't sound like whining children.

My friends do joke about my music elitism. I tend to respond with the word "sheeple".

My sentiments exactly, especially about the whininess of mainstream rock these days. The only radio stations I can bring myself to listen to these days are "classic rock", all the good old stuff like The Who, Zeppelin, Stones, Pink Floyd, Skynyrd, etc. Of course, the immense quantity of music on my ipod/computer means that I never really have to listen to the radio.

If the music is popular because it is good, then so be it. I prefer artists who make music because they are passionate about it; the kind of people who, if they were penniless and out of work, would still want to keep making music. One of my favorite bands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkthrone) is composed of two guys, who in their day jobs are a school teacher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturno_Culto) and, if I remember correctly, a postal worker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenriz). They don't make their music to get rich and famous, they make it because they love making it, and because they know their fans love listening to it. They've put out 13 full-length albums since 1988, and show no signs of calling it quits.

And that, my friends, is why you can't kill the metal :smallcool:

Athaniar
2009-07-24, 04:04 PM
I only judge songs based on how good they are, and occasionally the content. Ignoring/hating music just because it is or isn't "mainstream" is just silly.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-24, 05:31 PM
Not only do I not care if music is mainstream or not, I often have no idea as 99% of the songs I like I was directed to by friends. My actual music knowledge extends to being able to recognise most Queen songs and knowing odd bits about a load of strange songs.

Metal Head
2009-07-24, 07:11 PM

Agreed. Mainstream rock really went downhill after the 70s. I almost always totally ignore mainstream rock bands nowadays. I do find it good that there are plenty of young fans of classic rock, who seem to know where the good rock is at.

And that, my friends, is why you can't kill the metal :smallcool:

Indeed. When a genre is (mostly) devoted to ignoring popular trends, making music for its own sake, and has a fanatical fanbase, it's not going to die.

B-Man
2009-07-25, 12:25 PM
I'm not even aware of what constitutes as "mainstream" now-a-days as I refuse to watch TV or listen to the radio. Most stuff I listen to is stuff I discovered on a YouTube binge and then hunt down the albums at the local HMV (which has a shocking 30% chance of carrying the band I want to buy albums from). I'd much prefer to go to a concert to listen to music... but... well... help me try to convince some bands to play Halifax, NS... *mutter* I still can't believe I missed out on seeing Martyr on the day before my birthday... *mutter*

The last time I listened to "mainstream" music was probably in Grade 8 when I was going through my "gangsta" phase. Maybe that's why I don't believe in mainstream now-a-days... :smallamused:

Slightly off-topic: if you're curious 'bout what I do listen to, hit up the link in my signature that says "YouTube Channel" and listen to stuff that I've written.