PDA

View Full Version : Painkillers

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 06:04 PM
So I'm due for surgery on my foot on Monday, and the doctor tells me I'll need pain medication for several days afterwards. He suggested that their most likely prescription would be hydromorphone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydromorphone), which from what I can tell is ridiculously potent compared to the strongest painkiller I've ever been prescribed before (Tylenol-3) and presposterously more powerful than my normal painkiller of choice (acetaminophen).

He also asked if I have any preference. Responding with "Yeah - I'd prefer if you didn't cut open my foot!" seemed a bit rude, but I have no familiarity with opiates and am, as a whole, not looking forward to getting to know them.

Anyone care to share their feelings on painkillers in terms of side effects, pain regulation, etc. etc.? Ideally, I'd gun for the one that keeps me in the most regular (non-euphoric) mental state.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 08:19 PM
How much of an option is it to just be mostly half-asleep?

thubby
2009-07-23, 08:49 PM
my mother has hydromorphone for severe migraines. it makes her dizzy and knocks her out for the day.

neoseph7
2009-07-23, 08:55 PM
I had an operation on my arm a while back, for which Oxycodene was prescribed. In general, the stuff will knock you out, and while you're asleep, you won't feel anything (I also recall it being some of the best sleep ever). The basic fear with this stuff is the risk of dependency (ie Addiction). Knowing that you can be addicted to the stuff btw helps negate that particular side effect.

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 08:57 PM
How much of an option is it to just be mostly half-asleep?

Probably not much. They'll be drilling into my bone and leaving the hole there to refill itself. That's assuming they go with the simple surgery.

The complex surgery (which it's like 90% certain they won't be doing) involves breaking my ankle, going in and trying to repair the bone directly.

The basic fear with this stuff is the risk of dependency (ie Addiction). Knowing that you can be addicted to the stuff btw helps negate that particular side effect.

That's what worries me; that, and of course withdrawl symptoms and not wanting to be shelled out of my head for seven days. :smallyuk:

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 09:13 PM
Probably not much. They'll be drilling into my bone and leaving the hole there to refill itself. That's assuming they go with the simple surgery.

The complex surgery (which it's like 90% certain they won't be doing) involves breaking my ankle, going in and trying to repair the bone directly.

Well, I meant, what did you actually want to be able to get up to over your initial recovery period. Which is aboot a week, eh?

Hmm. I remember I spent a little less than half of the week I was recovering from my wisdom teeth getting out under the influence of some kind of narcotic which had me sleeping most of the time. After that I basically only had one instance where I went off to see if I still needed it, and while the pain was enough that I did promptly take my medication, I was able to get by with OTC stuff after that with about 4 days worth of the meds left. I can't quite recall what we did to dispose of the leftovers, actually.

after the 2nd day I was able to spend my time when I was awake reading. Since I pretty much was passed out for the entirety of the first day of/after the surgery. This was even with the drugs in my system... Which I'm trying my darnedest but I cant' recall what I was prescribed. x.x

Are you even going to really be able to get around inside your house while recovering from the initial bit of the surgery?

And how much are you really looking to be able to do?

Mando Knight
2009-07-23, 09:23 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I believe I was on Vicodin afterward... might have been oxycodene or a generic hydrocodone. Anyway, I mostly kept my head about me... the main thing I remember was that having several teeth ripped out of your jaw caused enough pain that it hurt through the narcotics for several weeks. Or at least, through the narcotics for several days, then through the ibuprofen or acetaminophen for several weeks afterward.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-23, 09:24 PM
Well, Afrokuma...At least you get to have the surgery, be on the painkillers for a wee bit, heal up, and be done with them. I wanted surgery on my foot to fix a case of "instant arthriitis," but was turned down. Instead, I was forced to go the way of medications, and that path grew ugly swiftly.

It started with me tripping over a curb. The distal phalanx acted as a wedge against proximal phalanx, which split the latter lengthwise and traumatized the entire big toe and associated joint. In three months, I went from no arthritis to severe athritis in what is possible the most active part of the foot aside from the heel.

I asked my podiatrist if he'd be willing to go in and shave the arthritic bones down. Unfortunately, because of my misreable healing factor brought about by my diabetes, he absolutely refused.

The most common way to handle such a thing would be to use a steroid injection, like cortisone. But diabetes and steroids make a terrible combination, as the latter causes a loss of control of the former.

The next choise was NSAIDs - Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. Considering the pain I was in, my doc prescribed a moderate dose of a strong NSAID...and after taking it for two days, I was then suffering from severe stomach pain and acid reflux. He told me to stop taking it immediately. He also said he was out of options. He didn't like the idea of prescribing anything stronger than what we'd tried.

My PCP, however, know there were other meds, and was willing to prescribe what I needed to keep me in the realm of comfort. Unfortunately, this meant narcotics. I'd explored every other route possible, and this was the only thing left.

I started these meds almost a year and a half ago, and there's been that slow increase as my body adjusts to the smaller doses. There was also a growing concern about how much of the Tylenol component I was receiving, since a lot of Tylenol can result in liver damage. Add my cholesterol meds to the mix, and I was endangering my liver.

I am currently on a pain management regime of 30 mg. MS ER three times a day; that's morphine sulfate, extended release. Depending on one's metabolism, they can last anywhere from eight to twelve hours. I only get eight hours of relief, hence the three times a day. I'm also on percocet 10/325 for what's called "breakthrough pain." The unfortunate part is that just about anything I do physically causes breakthrough pain. My Charcot's foot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropathic_arthropathy) is actually Charcot's joint, meaning that I feel pain in almost every joint that bears weight. Add the pain of diabetic neuropathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_neuropathy), and I'm a walking, talking ball of pain, ready to scream.

My recommendation: just take the meds. USE THEM AS DIRECTED! Don't get creative when taking them, as that tends to be where people develop a problem. As your pain subsides, ask your doctor for decreased doses to ween you away from any dependency you may be developing. You might even be able to split the pills on your own, just as long as there isn't a time-release coating on it. (Splitting a pill with such coating will cause it to work at a MUCH higher dose than was planned, which can be dangerous.)

Don't be afraid to press your doctor for weaker meds! I had shoulder surgery once, and the doctor never reduced my meds. In fact, every time I needed more, he just wrote for that maximum dose...over...and over...and over again. I soon found myself taking a maximum dose for a minimal amount of pain. It only became a problem then, so as your pain becomes less, tell your doctor to reduce the strength of your meds.

The problem with asprin or ibuprofen is that they are blood thinners, and can prevent healing. While I'm sure you would rather take just Tylenol, as mentioned earlier, too much can cause liver damage, and the antidote for Tylenol poisoning is sulfer based; I can tell you from experience that it tastes like rotten eggs.

Besides...You're young (I think), and should heal swiftly. We're not talking about long-term pain management. With luck, it'll just mean a month or so of these painkillers, and then you'll be back to safely taking Tylenol or asprin for your aches. Word from the medical professionals I've spoken to is that when you use the meds as prescribed, and your pain is genuine, and you are only on it for a short time, your fears of addiction lack merit.

Thus, despite your current circumstances, try to be well.

afroakuma
2009-07-23, 10:50 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I believe I was on Vicodin afterward... might have been oxycodene or a generic hydrocodone. Anyway, I mostly kept my head about me... the main thing I remember was that having several teeth ripped out of your jaw caused enough pain that it hurt through the narcotics for several weeks. Or at least, through the narcotics for several days, then through the ibuprofen or acetaminophen for several weeks afterward.

I bounced back from wisdom teeth within a week; they gave me codeine for that, which I found to be of little use. There's apparently a genetic correlation; a little over half of my generation on my father's side derive marginal to no pain relief from codeine.

Bor: I like the suggestion about asking the doctor for reductions in meds; I'm hoping the full course will be two weeks at the absolute maximum, though, and I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get there. Stupid no parking zones.

Coidzor: Ideally, I'd like to be able to do more than lie in bed. Even dragging myself to the computer desk to do anything.

In the main, though, I just want the painkillers to do their job, and only their job. Wouldn't mind a bit of extra sleep, but I don't want to be taking anything that will spin me into a completely different headspace. From what I've been told, as long as the meds have a legitimate job to do (i.e. pain to kill) the euphoria side effect backs off, but having the doctor suggest something that I've only heard of in drugstore theft notices due to serial addiction problems locally...

Keld Denar
2009-07-23, 11:14 PM
When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I went on a Hydrocodone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocodone) (Lortab was the brand, but thats the same stuff thats in Vicoden) for a while. Honestly, other than dulling the throbbing to a slight ache, it really didn't make me loopy or "high" or anything like that, and I didn't have an withdrawal after I stopped taking it (about 3 days after surgery, the pain was low enough that I got by on just Ibuprofin). The recommended dose on the bottle was 1-2 500 mg tablets 3/day as needed for the pain, but I went from 2 x3/day the first day to 1 x3/day on the 2nd and 3rd days to completely stopped. Your doc will most likely highly recommend you take an Ibuprofin anyway, since its AWESOME as an anti-inflamatory (makes swelling go down). Ibuprofine is relatively harmless as long as you don't exceed 600 mg 3/day, when it can kinda start messin with your liver and kidneys.

So yea, if you are uncomfortable with possibilities of dependancy/withdrawl from the Hydromorphone ask your doctor if a Hydrocodone or other alternative might serve you better. Please note than I am NOT a pharmasist, nor do I have any formal training in pharmatoxicology. Always consult a doctor before taking anything.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 11:31 PM
Sounds more like a problem with your area than with the substance itself.

But yeah, you shouldn't have too much to worry about, especially if you express these concerns to 'em, since they're so nice as to actually talk to you aboot it.

Alteran
2009-07-24, 12:07 AM
Off topic, but Coidzor, how do you expect to gain "internet popularity" when you keep changing your freakin Avatar every hour or so. Its like watching a man with a puppet argue with himself. Just...confusing!

Whether or not it makes sense, it appears to be working. You still recognize him, don't you? :smallwink:

Afro: I'm afraid I can't say anything that hasn't really been said already. But as far as addiction goes, even that article you linked us to says that risk of addiction is low if you have genuine pain to treat. Let me find an excerpt...

Here we are.

Although this can lead to addiction and reward-seeking behavior, it has been demonstrated that when opioids are taken for pain relief, patients are very unlikely to misuse the drug.

Edit: The post I quoted has disappeared!

Edit again: Actually, it's in another thread. Keld, did you remove the post from here and put it in that other thread, or am I going crazy?

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-24, 12:20 AM
Afroakuma, you want to do more than lie in bed, and you don't want to rely on those painkillers too much? Well, unless you can get yourself set up on a couch somewhere in your home, it's going to be bedrest or more of those painkillers than you desire.

Odds are pretty good that one of your discharge instructions will be to keep the foot elevated as much as possible. This is to reduce swelling and pain. If you don't stay off the foot and keep it elevated, you will likely be reaching for those pills as soon as you're permitted. The only time you should be on your foot, in all honesty, is when you have to take care of bodily NEEDS and when you have to see the doctor.

BEFORE the surgery, try to buy as much food as you can that will keep without you worrying too much about it. For other food items that won't keep, try to have $50 in cash, broken into $5 bills, at home. This way you can send a friend for milk, a fresh loaf of bread, or whatever else you may need. Don't put yourself into a position where you have to hand over a bank card (and its pin number) to even your best friend.

As for the meds putting you in a different head space...Well, I have a "Bor Story" for that.

The week before I was to move from NY back to AZ, a series of unfortunate circumstances caused me to lose complete control of my diabetes. By the time I got home, I had little choice. I needed a hospital.

When a diabetic is put on an insulin drip - that's insulin directly in an IV - the patient is placed in the intensive care unit. The ICU is one of those places in the hospital where the "power" drugs are kept, and my doctor wrote orders for one of them: DILOTED! You see, on that 1 to ten scale they like to ask about in terms of pain, I was a 12...and it was all in my skin, thanks to my diabetic neuropathy. "How strong is diloted?" From what I was told, 1 mg. of diloted was equal to 4 mg. of morphine.

I was in bad shape, but not nearly as bad as your average ICU patient. Thus, when I asked for a phone so I could call people, one was hooked into the wall. And one of the first people I called was my friend, Julie. This isn't word-for-word, but our conversation went something like this:

Julie: Hello?
Me: WHEEEE!
Julie: Uh oh. What happened? Where are you? What are they giving you?
Me: I lost control of my diabetes. I'm in the ICU. They're giving me "WHEEEE" juice.
Julie: *rather amused* I can tell. Do you know the name of the "whee juice?"
Me: Diloted. It's four times the strength of morphine. And now everyone is my friend.
Julie: I'll bet they are.
Me: And my new friends don't even need to be alive! Oh...Hello, IV pole. How are you today? Would you like some diloted too?
Julie: *laughing* Y'know, you're lots of fun when you're like this.
Me: I know. And do you know what's strange about diloted?
Julie: *she's not even trying to hide her amusement* What's that?
Me: My neuropathy is still causing me a lot of pain. It's like the diloted doesn't do anything for the pain...it just makes it so I don't care. They could park a car on my head and I'd be okay with it.

Okay...That wasn't 100% true. It was helping. Unfortunately, the hospital didn't have the exact medication that would truly help with my neuropathy pain: Ultram. They had "Ultracet," which was a combination of Ultram and Tylenol. In order to get what I needed of the Ultram portion, they would have to overdose me on Tylenol. So I was stuck with the diloted...

...until I was getting better. I was still in pain, but not nearly as much. And every time I rang for the nurse, she came in with another syringe filled with "happy juice." Well, on one such visit, I told her I'll take the dose, since this is all that's ordered in my chart. But as soon as you can, could you have the doctor stop by? When he did, I said, "Doc...as much as I enjoy being off my face on the diloted, it's reach the point where it's more than I need. It's kinda like treating a paper cut with open heart surgery." He laughed, and ordered a mid-line dose of percocet, as opposed to IV meds (which work faster and stronger), and every four to six hours instead of every two to three.

Oh...One more word of advice. Doctors deal with lots of patients, while you only have to deal with one doctor. Since they tend to be as human as other...humans...READ YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE OFFICE! If you can't read it, have someone read it aloud to you, just to make sure it was written as you expected. Why do I suggest this? Because there's nothing quite like leaving the doctor's office, going to the pharmacy, handing over a prescription, waiting for it, getting it, and then finding out that the medication is stronger/weaker and/or it's to be taken, let's say four times a day, when it was supposed to be six times a day.

That's all I have at the moment. I'm sure I'll think of something else later.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-24, 12:21 AM
Okay, first, don't be one of the idiots who thinks he feels fine and doesn't need to take the next dose of painkillers. They intentionally space the doses so that you take the next one before the previous one wears off; if they did not, the pain would kick in between doses.

Basically, take your medicine. Withdrawal sucks, being high as a kite in opiates sucks if you're thinking about it (although it feels great at the time if you don't), but being in pain actually slows the healing process. If you follow your doctor's instructions, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it; a competent physician won't just dope you up to the gills if he doesn't have to, and regulating the doses to avoid severe addiction is standard procedure. It's better to deal with the shakes for a couple of days than to have to feel the pain of an incision in your foot every hour of every day for weeks.

Alarra
2009-07-24, 12:52 AM
I know nothing about Hydromorphone, but Hydrocodone has never given me any withdrawal/addiction problems, nor does it knock me out or make me loopy, purely dulls pain. So perhaps that would be an option to ask about? Granted, my experience with painkillers is often atypical and they seldom do anywhere near what they're expected to, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah. Definitely what Renegade Paladin said. Argh!

Though whether you have any history or family history of resistance or increased susceptibility to painkillers might be something to consider as well.

Killer Angel
2009-07-24, 02:46 AM
I was convinced this thread was about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk)painkiller...
Well, I suppose it's derived from the fact that english isn't my first language. :smallredface:

I suggest to talk with your doctor and explaining all your doubts.
Maybe he'll suggest something less strong but still good enough and less addiction-risky.

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 03:24 AM
Edit: The post I quoted has disappeared!

Edit again: Actually, it's in another thread. Keld, did you remove the post from here and put it in that other thread, or am I going crazy?

Never underestimate the power of a ninja, especially a ninja editor. I dunno, I just figured the post was more appropriate in another threat, so I deleted it and reposted it in a better place. Didn't want to derail poor Mr AA's thread like so many others in this place. Besides, that thread has already been derailed to the maximal amount permittable by the bounds of the intarwebz, so I figured I'd stick with it.

Philistine
2009-07-24, 07:05 AM
Pain threshholds vary, as do tolerances for various meds. Another anecdote for the mix:

I've been prescribed narcotics for pain a few times over the years; in every case but two, they've been massive overkill for the level of pain I was actually experiencing, but the doctors prescribed them anyway because "that's what we give patients for that surgery or injury." In the other two cases, I took the prescribed meds (hydrocodone in at least one of those two cases) only at night, when the pain got so bad it prevented me sleeping... and then the prescriptions ran out, and I couldn't sleep for weeks afterward. I have a very low tolerance for narcotics, it turns out; and apparently a somewhat high risk for addiction. Even though I've never personally expereinced their ever-popular euphoric effects. Of course, nowadays I know enough to warn doctors up front that I really don't need the same dosage of painkillers they give the bigger kids.

The lesson is this: there is no lesson. :smallbiggrin:

More seriously: know what your specific needs are, and tell the doctor about them. Of course the doctor knows things you don't, but you also know things the doctor doesn't. So talk to the doctor.

Generic Archer
2009-07-24, 07:05 AM
I havent had any problems with anything like that, but the strongest stuff I've been on is Panadeine Forte (Paracetamol and Codeine).
At one stage I was on it for 3 weeks or so after an argument with a tree and only stopped because I was worried I was becoming addicted, hindsight suggests that I was still sore, hence some pain... but it wasn't so bad.
Then again I have a high pain threshold I spent maybe 2 days on drugs following the removal of my wisdom teeth.

LCR
2009-07-24, 08:27 AM
Spinal anaesthesia is sometimes used in operations of the lower extremities.
I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon, but from my last rotation, I know that the spinal block can be continued for at least a day post-op, during which you won't feel a thing (but sadly, won't be able to get up either). They remove the block when they think the worst pain should be over. Most patients managed with high dosages of ibuprofen and paracetamol, eliminating the need for opiates in some patients (not all of them, mind you).
Also, all those cases I've seen this method performed on were in for hip or knee joint replacement, so I'm not sure whether there are any contraindications for ankle surgery, but in theory it shouldn't matter, since the spinal block knocks everything out below your waistline.

Jalor
2009-07-24, 08:36 AM
From what I've heard, Percocet leaves you pretty clear-headed. It has oxycodone and acetaminophen; it's kind of like Vicodin, except House is not addicted to it.

It might be a genetic thing, the level of trippy-ness that a particular drug causes, because everyone in my family has little reaction to taking Vicodin or Percocet but you still hear about addictions. You've mentioned acetaminophen, so you'll probably be fine.

I was convinced this thread was about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk)painkiller...
You win an internet.

Moff Chumley
2009-07-24, 12:15 PM
I cannot recommend PCP highly enough.

What?

Zherog
2009-07-24, 12:19 PM
I suggest to talk with your doctor and explaining all your doubts.
Maybe he'll suggest something less strong but still good enough and less addiction-risky.

Great advice, really. You're doctor should be willing to sit and spend time with you explaining options. If he/she says something you don't understand, don't worry about looking stupid. Interrupt and ask questions.

Too many doctors, I think, forget just what's common knowledge and make the assumption that people know a lot of the stuff they know. Don't be afraid to ask questions, ask for clarifications, and ask again if you still don't understand. Also, especially don't be afraid to mention your hesitancy about addiction. Your doctor should have options for you.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-24, 12:50 PM
Man, don't knock the Pain killers. I'm serious they help.

valadil
2009-07-24, 01:20 PM
I've had roxicet (which is liquid percoset) and morphine. Both worked wonders and I had no trouble giving up either of them when the pain went away. The great thing about morphine is you get this overwhelming sensation of "everything is gonna be okay."

afroakuma
2009-07-24, 04:49 PM
Okay, first, don't be one of the idiots who thinks he feels fine and doesn't need to take the next dose of painkillers. They intentionally space the doses so that you take the next one before the previous one wears off; if they did not, the pain would kick in between doses.

Oh, trust me, I don't mess with the doctor's orders. I do enough damage with phosphoric acid and monosodium glutamate that when the doc says "rules" I behave.

I doubt I can ask for anything too moderate, though. I have the lowest pain tolerance of anybody I know. :smallfrown:

Also, who esle thinks that "valadil" sounds like a pharmaceutical? :smallbiggrin:

Ishmael
2009-07-24, 04:54 PM
Right now I'm taking 325 mg. Percocet, every four hours, to recover from a recent foot surgery I just had. I can say, having just taken the pill like an hour ago, I feel perfectly fine. I'm totally lucid, completely mobile, and alert. I'd probably--I'm not going to test it, don't worry--be fine operating my car.

The Percocet doesn't completely solve the pain. I mean, I just had my foot cut open, and had a bunch of pins stuck in my bones to make them heal correctly. But it helps, and it leaves me pretty lucid.

I'm hoping to transition shortly to Vicodin, which in my experience, does even less to me than the oxycodone (the generic name for percocet) does.

When I was in the hospital, I was under morphine. Truthfully, I still felt pretty normal and alert under it, too.

I suppose we all have different tolerances and reactions to the medications, though.

Jalor
2009-07-24, 06:43 PM
I talked to a relative of mine, who has taken morphine, Vicodin, and Percocet after heart surgery. He said;

-Morphine gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling, and completely nullified the pain.

-Percocet stopped almost all of the pain and had no mental effect.

-Vicodin stopped even more pain than Percocet, but he didn't use it much because he was worried about getting addicted. It put him to sleep when he took it.

Again, drug resistance seems to run in my family, so take the advice with a grain of narcotic salt.

afroakuma
2009-07-24, 08:53 PM
If I started taking Vicodin, I'd get called House for the rest of my life. :smalltongue:

Does anyone know if there's a test for pain sensitivity/painkiller sensitivity?

As an aside, my primary care physician apparently wants to see me before the surgery; maybe he'll have some tips, although I don't exactly have a medical history for this sort of thing.

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 09:10 PM
Pretty much the only way is to findo ut how you react to it by taking it.

Sort of like drug allergies. You don't know until you're dying from it. Or something.

soozenw
2009-07-25, 06:28 PM
I had a c-section and was given Tylenol 3 and Motrin 800 for my pain relief after my IV was taken out (the morning after surgery). That was more than enough to knock the worst of the pain out.

I know people that have taken Vicodin and had vomiting, nausea, and blurred memory.

The best thing that you can do, as others have stated, is just talk to your doctor about it. If you can bear a little discomfort, just ask for something that is not a narcotic.

Lupy
2009-07-25, 10:20 PM
I have Epidrin for migraines, it's really powerful stuff, especially considering I weigh 90 pounds (I know that the caplets are scaled, but do they really have different ones for 90, 100, 120 and so on?) and it makes me somewhat incoherent at times when I have to take it. And it has the potential to be addictive. If I didn't get migraines so badly and so often I'd quit it in a heartbeat.

Scary stuff...

afroakuma
2009-07-25, 10:24 PM
Well, I suppose I'll find out on Monday.

Actually, I suppose I won't find out until Tuesday at the earliest. I doubt I'll be coherent Monday. :smallfrown:

Ohhh, not looking forward to this... :smallfrown:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-26, 01:15 AM
Whatever the case with the painkillers, afroakuma, I wish you a thoroughly UNcomplicated surgery, as well as a speedy recovery afterward. Keep us posted on how you're doing when you get the chance.

afroakuma
2009-07-26, 08:22 AM
Absolutely. Probably be a few days; I have an extremely low pain threshold so I expect to be out of it entirely for a bit. At any rate, it'll certainly be a new... experience. :smallfrown:

Killer Angel
2009-07-29, 05:15 AM
Well, I suppose I'll find out on Monday.

Actually, I suppose I won't find out until Tuesday at the earliest. I doubt I'll be coherent Monday. :smallfrown:

Maybe it's too soon, but... any news? are you alright?

afroakuma
2009-07-29, 09:09 PM
hello all

i could be doing better but i could ber doing much much worse

there was a scare with the dilauded at the hospital so they p;ut me on strong codeine.

fighting side effects as they come, i'm not able to find the line between the control and the drug and i can't tell when my alert ness is cloudy.

kind of scary but i'm following doctor's orders. very sleepy and very very hard to sit up. i don't have much tolerance for narcotic at this level

best wishes

Jalor
2009-07-29, 09:14 PM
Wow, you're really high. Best of luck, hope you get better soon. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-07-29, 09:24 PM
afro! You're doing alright! Excellent! You just keep getting better, alright? *hugs* Thanks for checking in man, appreciate it!

afroakuma
2009-07-31, 05:36 PM
update!

doing better, on lower doses now. still some side effects and still sleeping like mad. hoping to be back this weekend.

much less pain now.

procedure was arthroscopy so recovery should be fast

keep happy!

Jalor
2009-07-31, 06:17 PM
If you're sleeping well, that's a good sign. Keep on recovering!

Alteran
2009-07-31, 06:26 PM
Back by the weekend, potentially? That would be good news. I can tell that you're not quite yourself on these drugs, I'm noticing a distinct lack of capital letters. :smallwink: Regardless, it sounds like you're doing well and recovering quickly. This is very nice to hear.

blackfox
2009-07-31, 08:17 PM
I get really, really messed up on narcotics, even ones as weak as codeine. (Wierd amnesia, dizziness, nausea, etc.) So I tend to just take naproxen when, for example, I break something, or I have wisdom teeth out, and I am prescribed Tylenol #3. :smalltongue:

soozenw
2009-08-01, 10:57 AM
I was just thinking about you this morning and came online to check on you. I'm glad you are recovering well!

afroakuma
2009-08-01, 04:38 PM
thanks for the thoughts!

i've been trying to pop back on but i'm having a lot of difficult sitting up to use and computer. thr weird hot weather doesn' t help either i think.

gradually reducin dose of tylenol 3. feeling still tired and nauseous but i think that will pass.

afroakuma
2009-08-01, 09:44 PM
Oh I tell ya I'm really having trouble with my head. nyone know if heavy headedness is supposed to be a sideeffect of Tylenol 3?

Seriouly messing with me and very annoying.

soozenw
2009-08-02, 10:10 AM
Oh I tell ya I'm really having trouble with my head. nyone know if heavy headedness is supposed to be a sideeffect of Tylenol 3?

Seriouly messing with me and very annoying.

Tylenol 3 can make you feel woozy. Heavy headedness--I'm guessing you are meaning that you are having trouble holding your head up? Or tired? T3 can make you feel both. I had that after my c-section, and I always felt hungover the next day--headache and such. I hate that stuff.

afroakuma
2009-08-03, 09:53 PM
Alright - I'm back-ish.

Stayed off the painkillers most of the day; I'll have to take one to get some sleep, since a few people who know better than I decided to use their superior knowledge to make my sleeping conditions extremely difficult. I think the culprit in keeping me down for so long is orthostatic hypotension; if it comes in a "mild" form, then it's definitely the guilty party. If not, then ehh...

Point is, I should be up and at 'em by now, and I'm working on getting there. I'll have to get used to sitting up soon, anyway - I have to return to work by Wednesday.

Keld Denar
2009-08-03, 10:07 PM
Welcome back AA!!! We missed you!!!!

<3

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-08-04, 01:09 AM
Alright - I'm back-ish.

Stayed off the painkillers most of the day; I'll have to take one to get some sleep, since a few people who know better than I decided to use their superior knowledge to make my sleeping conditions extremely difficult. I think the culprit in keeping me down for so long is orthostatic hypotension; if it comes in a "mild" form, then it's definitely the guilty party. If not, then ehh...

Point is, I should be up and at 'em by now, and I'm working on getting there. I'll have to get used to sitting up soon, anyway - I have to return to work by Wednesday.
Good to see you well on the road to recovery. :smallsmile:

It might still help to fund some way of keeping your foot elevated as it continues to heal. Of course, my last few surgeries, which were on my foot, healed VERY slowly due to my being a diabetic. Still, I have experience in this kind of thing. Make some room on your desk (providing it's big enough) for you to keep your foot up every now and again. It will probably be impossible to keep it raised all the time, and may occasionally require some flexability on your part, but if there's space you should be able to pull it off. To keep a callus from forming on your heel, just fold up an old shirt and rest your foot on that. (It's easier than trying to get a pillow to fit on your desk.)

It's good that the procedure was orthroscopic, as that lends to faster healing. Of course, it also depends on what was done. The last time I had orthrscopic surgery, two different bones were shaved in the shoulder of my primary arm. On a scale of 1 to 10, my pain was a 12 for weeks! :smallfrown: And I don't think my doctor handing me a video tape of the surgery helped; it only aided in me thinking, So THAT'S why I'm in absolute agony!

But when I was 20, I had an orthroscopy on my left knee, which included a lateral release. (They cut a tendon that was too tight and pulling my kneecap from where it was supposed to rest.) While I spent most of that first week resting, I was still able to get around my house with just crutches. By the second week, I was taking "crutch-walks" around the block. :smallsmile:

Just...listen to your body during this time of healing. If it starts telling you it wants rest, and YOU want to fight it, don't. Your body is sending its message for a reason. Sure, you can push every now and again; but listening to your body should be the way to go 99% of the time.

This is Bor, your friendly neighbor klutz, exiting this thread...for now. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-08-09, 11:30 PM
And he can stand again!

Can't walk. Oh no.

My foot's swollen to hell and back and repeats every single day, and I'm having limited (read: no) progress with the simple physio exercises I've been given.

However, I just now set my left foot down flat on the ground, supporting most (but not all) of my weight on my right. And stood upright for the first time in a month.

I'm so proud of me.