PDA

View Full Version : Rich needs to update the FAQ. Seriously.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-07-23, 06:20 PM
Go look at it. At the top, it proudly boasts "Updated 3/4/05!" in bold.

And here are a few of the questions:

Q: Will OOTS ever be collected for publication?

A: You should try looking around the site more before asking questions. The first OOTS book, The Order of the Stick: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, went on sale January 3rd, 2005, here in the Shop. Expect more books to come as soon as we can crank them out. Top

Yeah, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools ain't the only book by now, obviously.

Q: What does .The Stick. refer to in the comic.s name?

A: It mostly refers to the fact that they are stick figures.

Q: Yeah, but the characters also refer to themselves as .The Order of the Stick.. Presumably they don.t know they.re being drawn as stick figures, right?

A: Very true. There is a story behind why they are called .The Order of the Stick. within the context of the strip. That story, however has yet to be revealed. Top

AND, that story has TOTALLY been revealed. (In Origin of PC's.)

Q: Hey, it.s 12:01 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, where.s the strip?

A: Relax. I post the strips when I.m done with them, they.re not automated. Generally, I try to get them posted around midnight, but I have officially stopped considering them late at 9:00 am. It's just too much hassle to read through a hundred "Where's the strip??" posts on the message board. The strip arrives when I can get it posted, and if there's not a strip at all on a scheduled update day, there's going to be a good reason. I have missed updates recently, mostly as a result of being sick or injured or technologically challeneged, but I try to put up a filler image explaining the difficulty and when the new strip can be expected. Top

He doesn't even use that schedule anymore.

Also, for some reason all ' marks have been replaced with periods. It looks weird.

Basooned
2009-07-23, 06:28 PM
Chill. Seriously.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-23, 06:33 PM

I don't know the story behind it, and I'm sure there's other people that don't.

Anyway... is the FAQ a bit behind? Yes. Is it a huge priority? Not really.

JJ48
2009-07-23, 06:40 PM

I would consider that the IN-COMIC reason for the name. However, the question in the FAQ is most likely referring to why Rich chose the title for the comic, not why the Order chose the name for their group. As such, I feel the answer given is not outdated at all.

As for the others, is it really that big a deal? Are we being plagued by newbies panicking because they read the FAQ and thought no books had been released yet, or something?

littlequietguy
2009-07-23, 06:46 PM
Yes I agree. You can't say it is to much work because it would just be deleting those questions.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-23, 07:04 PM
Actually, one could also say "Rich needs to update the Character Sheet. Seriously." because I don't think that's been updated since it went up (I.O.Me aside). But again, does it really matter much? Not particularly, I'm sure Rich has much more important things to do (eating, sleeping, and business, etc.)

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-07-23, 08:19 PM
I just think he should look into it, and revise some of the questions that have become irrevelent or redundant. I don't mean he should put it as a priority before eating/sleeping/making a new comic. I just think it could use a bit of work.

People are getting a little bit too worked up over this. I wasn't trying to be rude, honestly. If I sounded argumentative, I'm really sorry. I just come off as that way on the internet sometimes.

Questions that have to do with the old Mon/Thur schedule though? Really? All this would take is a bit of cleaning up. It's not like it's a day long operation I'm suggesting.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-23, 08:29 PM
I just think he should look into it, and revise some of the questions that have become irrevelent or redundant. I don't mean he should put it as a priority before eating/sleeping/making a new comic. I just think it could use a bit of work.

People are getting a little bit too worked up over this. I wasn't trying to be rude, honestly. If I sounded argumentative, I'm really sorry. I just come off as that way on the internet sometimes.

Questions that have to do with the old Mon/Thur schedule though? Really? All this would take is a bit of cleaning up. It's not like it's a day long operation I'm suggesting.

Eh, good point, guess I'm just a bit tired.

Sorry for snapping.

Cerrakoth
2009-07-23, 08:55 PM
It's often bugged me, particularly the character sheet. I mean its not like I check it 24/7 but Rich has often stated his older artwork makes him cringe, and i'd of hoped it would of been updated along with the I.O.me. It has escaped his notice as Haley says something in reference to it. I suppose if he did update it, that particular comic wouldn't work... Which has made me wonder, how that's going to fit into the published version, as people who don't read the webcomic or read it long after the story finishes and it's only in book form, will get the joke? But hey im nit picking... ;)

pflare
2009-07-23, 09:07 PM
I don't think it matters if the FAQs are slightly out of date. I mean they're not saying anything completely wrong just a little bit out of date. And even then the "out of date" material isn't damaging or anything.

Selene
2009-07-23, 09:23 PM
I would consider that the IN-COMIC reason for the name. However, the question in the FAQ is most likely referring to why Rich chose the title for the comic, not why the Order chose the name for their group. As such, I feel the answer given is not outdated at all.

You might want to read it again.

There is a story behind why they are called .The Order of the Stick. within the context of the strip. That story, however has yet to be revealed.

(all emphasis mine)

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 09:28 PM
...There's an FAQ!? :smalleek:

lio45
2009-07-23, 09:34 PM
Go look at it. At the top, it proudly boasts "Updated 3/4/05!" in bold.

And here are a few of the questions:

Yeah, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools ain't the only book by now, obviously.

He doesn't even use that schedule anymore.

Also, for some reason all ' marks have been replaced with periods. It looks weird.

Completely agree with you. And you did sound perfectly calm (i.e. no need to ask you to chill after reading that post).

Ted The Bug
2009-07-23, 10:26 PM
Rich has stated that he wont be focusing on virtually anything besides the OotS comics. Print-only stuff and the site are on hiatus, and as far as I know, he hasn't said that he'll continue to do stuff with the site. He's had a few health issues, and that probably complicates things more for him as well.
I'd love to see some new stuff around the site, but it doesn't look likely, and the new comics are some of his best work, IMO.

stevekgoodwin
2009-07-23, 10:28 PM
If yer feeling bored and/or kind-hearted, why not kick-start an update to the FAQ yerself? And maybe, just maybe, Mr Burlew will use it and bestow a unique avatar upon you. That'd be cool. :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2009-07-24, 09:11 AM
If yer feeling bored and/or kind-hearted, why not kick-start an update to the FAQ yerself? And maybe, just maybe, Mr Burlew will use it and bestow a unique avatar upon you. That'd be cool. :smallsmile:

Excellent suggestion. He probably doesn't bother because he has a forum where people can come and get any question answered instantly. But I agree that community written FAQ sticky would be nice.

edit- you know, on top of the one we have. Maybe unlock it for new entries?

Sylian
2009-07-24, 12:45 PM
Character sheet? You mean the cast page, or...?

grautry
2009-07-24, 01:09 PM

True, but quite of the few FAQ answers can be done by say, a Super-moderator or by an administrator. I don't think it would be too much of a problem to delegate the task to someone else if Rich doesn't have the time.

MickJay
2009-07-24, 01:28 PM
I don't think it matters if the FAQs are slightly out of date. I mean they're not saying anything completely wrong just a little bit out of date. And even then the "out of date" material isn't damaging or anything.

It is the reason why every month a new thread pops up, with someone asking about new comic, because in the FAQ it says...

ericgrau
2009-07-25, 05:57 PM
The third question is asked rather frequently, and it's a forbidden topic. I think that question should be updated in the FAQ at least. Even if it says by that particular question "updated XX/XX/2009" and everything else is left as is. I mean updating the first two questions would be nice, but it's not that big of a deal.

If only Rich had others working with him who could handle this task and simply run the results by him before he/they upload it, so Rich doesn't have to do it :smallwink:.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-26, 09:10 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thanks. This is a known issue, and not particularly a "board" issue at that.