PDA

View Full Version : The Princess Bride

feral
2006-06-10, 06:37 AM
As you may or may not know, one of the greatest movies of all time, The Princess Bride has been rereleased on two special edition DVD sets: Dread Pirate Roberts Edition and Buttercup Edition, each with different special features. So, which set are you buying? Who's buying both? Who's waiting for an Iningo(sp?) Montoya Edition? Who needs to become mostly dead because they don't plan on buying one at all?

Eldred
2006-06-10, 07:52 AM
Sorry to say, but, what's The Princess Bride? I've seriously never heard of it... :-/

Crutsveldt_Jakob_D
2006-06-10, 08:02 AM
Look, you can buy this "special edition" dvd, or wait a few months for them to come out with a better one with these ones in it. I mean, come on. Yeesh.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-06-10, 08:49 AM
Two "special edition" copies of the same movie with different sets of features?

What crap! Do they expect us Princess Bride nerds to buy two copies of the same movie just so we can get all the features?

I think I'll look for a "regular edition" copy just to spite the marketing clowns that came up with that one.

Eldred:
The Princess Bride is one of the all-time best swashbuckler movies ever made. If you've heard the phrase, "You killed my father. Prepare to die," that is a reference to The Princess Bride. It's based on a book of the same name by William Goldman. Since Goldman also wrote the screenplay, the book and movie go together perfectly. They both have the same atmosphere, and the translation no important changes to the actual story.

A few sources (all of which likely contain some spoilers, but they will be labeled as such before you can read them):
IMDB entry (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/)
Wikipedia entry on the film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride_%28film%29)
Wikipedia enry on the book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride)

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-10, 09:25 AM
No more rhyming now, I mean it.

As to which I'm buying- I'm waiting for the Miracle Max platinum plus edition.

Eldred
2006-06-10, 09:50 AM
Eldred:
The Princess Bride is one of the all-time best swashbuckler movies ever made. If you've heard the phrase, "You killed my father. Prepare to die," that is a reference to The Princess Bride. It's based on a book of the same name by William Goldman. Since Goldman also wrote the screenplay, the book and movie go together perfectly. They both have the same atmosphere, and the translation no important changes to the actual story.

Thanks for the info, Windrider! I now know why I've never heard of it because, technically, I never existed when it was released ;D

I may buy it, when I get the chance. Really, I'm not bothered what edition I would get, simply because I've never seen it!

Space-Is-Curved
2006-06-10, 01:14 PM
Seeing as we already have the origanal version, I probably won't buy either, but I've seen the covers and love the Dread Pirate version.

"As you wish"

BlythraB
2006-06-10, 01:30 PM
movies? MOVIES? WHO CARES ABOUT THE MOVIE? (although they did do pretty well) okay, I need to relax... I read the book at least once a month. It's one of my all-time favorites and when I saw this thread I just had to post here.

Akiosama
2006-06-10, 02:40 PM
Anybody want a peanut?

Wow. I didn't hear about this. I'll have to look into it. ;D

After all, it's the movie that made Andre the Giant immortal.

My 2 yen,

You wouldn't happent to have six fingers on your right hand?

Akio

TinSoldier
2006-06-10, 03:12 PM
One of my favorite movies, but I've already got a special edition DVD. I'm not going to go out and buy 1 or 2 new ones. :-/

A_Dark_Danish
2006-06-10, 03:13 PM
I love this movie, but I don't know if I'll rebuy it just to have a couple of new features.

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-10, 03:51 PM
There are more special editions?!

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-10, 05:32 PM
Although I worship the movie in all its greatness, I won't be buying another copy unless they come out with The Impressive Clergyman's Twue Wuv and Mawaige Edition.

Spit_Dog
2006-06-10, 06:02 PM
More special editions? Incon-th-ievable!

Tarlonniel
2006-06-10, 06:11 PM
Incon-th-ievable!

Ah yes, there's the SE I want ;D

More seriously, I went to amazon.com and compared the features on each new edition. They seem to be essentially identical.

JadedDM
2006-06-10, 06:43 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

feral
2006-06-10, 06:45 PM
Well, someone could buy one of the new special editions and give their old one to someone who doesn't know what "to the pain" means.

Crutsveldt_Jakob_D
2006-06-10, 07:09 PM
What, give a perfectly good dvd to Prince Humpherdink? Yeah right! :P

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-10, 09:27 PM
Nono, Humperdink knows what it is now. The god-like Cary Elwes Wesley made it very clear for him.

charik
2006-06-11, 12:15 AM
I cure him, Humpherdink suffers?
Humiliations galore.
That is a worthy cause.

Also has one of the great D&D lines of all time:

Mostly dead, is a little alive. All dead, well, with all dead there's only one thing you can do.
What's that?
Go through their pockets looking for loose change.

Brickwall
2006-06-11, 12:23 AM
I haven't gotten the book yet. I really need to, because I loved the movie. But I am not bothering with any special editions until they come out with the My Way is Not Very Sportsman-Like edition.

Shadow_of_Light
2006-06-11, 12:41 AM
Two "special edition" copies of the same movie with different sets of features?

What crap! Do they expect us Princess Bride nerds to buy two copies of the same movie just so we can get all the features?

Why not?

It worked for the Star Wars nerds. ;D

A_Dark_Danish
2006-06-11, 02:06 AM
Although I worship the movie in all its greatness, I won't be buying another copy unless they come out with The Impressive Clergyman's Twue Wuv and Mawaige Edition.

That would be the best movie. Ever. PERIOD. !.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-06-11, 08:45 AM
More seriously, I went to amazon.com and compared the features on each new edition. They seem to be essentially identical.
Ah, yes. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes you need to do a bit of independent research to verify the facts.

Yeah, they look the same. Though the special features sections were probably written by different people. One manages to use the official names of the featurettes, the other says, "a featurette about..." So I suppose that could be confusing if you don't read the summaries closely. ;)

Cyr
2006-06-11, 09:08 AM
Rodents of Unusal Size? I don't believe they exist is great but my favorite is either, I wouldn't do that if I were you, the world is in terribly short supply of perfect breasts. (quote exactness help?) or To kill you would be like destroying a stain glass window, however since I can't have you following me either (knock out blow to the back of the head.). Best Dailogue is either: "Now if only we had a cloak, a wheelbarrow and a candle then we could do something" (can't remember intervening lines, basically said that they hard a cloak, a wheelbarrow and a candle), "Why were those not listed among our list of assests?" or "I will cut out your tongue, hands, pluck out your eyes and cut off your legs." "I get it I get and my ears too then?" "No, your ears you keep so you can hear every scream of terror, every little child screaming 'oh dear god what is that horrible thing'"

But yes, excellent movie, not buying either, I think my family has owned the Princess Bride on DVD since its first release on DVD

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-06-11, 07:35 PM
Okay, so far we have...

Buttercup: Buttercup Edition

Westley: Dread Pirate Edition

Vizzini: Inconceivable Edition

Fezzik: My Way is Not Very Sportsman-like Edition (I would have gone with Peanut Edition or Everybody Move! Edition)

Impressive Clergyman: Twue Wuv and Maiwage Edition

We need one for:

Inigo Montoya, Prince Humperdinck, Miracle Max (my vote is for the MLT (Mutton, Lettuce, Tomato) Edition), Valerie, Count Rugen, The King (how about the She Kissed Me! Edition?), The Albino, Capt. Yellin ("Oh, this key?"), The Ancient Booer, The Grandfather, and The Grandson. Have I missed anyone? Okay, there's the Queen, but did she have any lines?

charik
2006-06-11, 08:28 PM
The very first time I watched the movie, some of my neices and nephews were watching and I walked in in the middle of it. Buttercup jumped into the water to get away, the eels started charging, and ...

"She doesn't get eaten at this time."
"WHAT?" :o

It took a moment to sink in that I had been watching an imagined scene inspired by the reading of a book.

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-06-11, 09:24 PM
Hee. hee.

One of my favorite movies of all time. And, obviously, one of the most quotable to ever be put on film.

Hoseki
2006-06-11, 09:32 PM
I'm most likely the only person who thinks this, but I found the movie very meh-ish. The book, however, rocked utterly.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-11, 10:14 PM
I'm most likely the only person who thinks this, but I found the movie very meh-ish. The book, however, rocked utterly.

Boooo! Booooo! Rubbish! Filth! Slime! Muck! Booooooo!

Eloco
2006-06-12, 01:36 AM
Do they have left handed and right handed copies?

bosssmiley
2006-06-12, 06:13 AM

+1, it was just like "Neverending Story" in that respect. The film missed *so* much of the good stuff from the book there was barely any relation between the two. :(

Oh, and Errol Flynn pwnzors Carey Elwes any day! ...without even trying ...despite being dead! ;D

Do they have left handed and right handed copies?

Pah! I watch equally well with either edition. ;)

Bookman
2006-06-12, 11:20 AM
haha I love the Princess Bride! I wish I had a job so I could buy a copy.........maybe if they do release them both together I'll have a job and can get them both. ^_^ I saw the movie before I read the book *GASP* HIGHLY unusual for me. I was AMAZED how closely some of the dialogue in the book followed the movie dialogue so I was impressed by it. Interestingly enough (if I remember correctly from some documentary thignie on the end of the VHS I watched) when the director was making the movie he wanted the fight scene to harken back to the Errol Flynn days as it describes in the book "the most amazing sword fight ever" (something akin to that remember I read it once and saw the thingie like once). How's that for interesting. ;D

Akiosama
2006-06-12, 12:03 PM
Why not?

It worked for the Star Wars nerds. ;D

And it's going to happen again, if you haven't already heard. On September 12, 2006, Lucas will be releasing Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI in two disc sets, one disc containing the Special Edition (2004), and one disc containing the Original (1977, 1980, 1983) editions.

And you know people will buy it. I know I will. It's a good thing I didn't buy this last batch of DVDs... ;)

But then again, I own both versons of Lord of the Rings...

Heh.

My 2 yen,

Akio

EDIT: Confirmed on IMDb.com, the only difference between the two 'versions' will be the packaging. The Dread Pirate Roberts Edition is Aqua colored with the Man in Black, and the Buttercup edition is Lavender with Westley and Buttercup.

I know which one I'll get. ;D

WampaX
2006-06-12, 12:16 PM
And you know people will buy it. I know I will. It's a good thing I didn't buy this last batch of DVDs... ;)

I know I will still wait . . .
My brain implodes just thinking of why they are doing this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars#Re-releases). And then it reforms with the answer of "MONEY!!!" and I just shake my head. I hope that Robert A. Harris gets a chance to fix all this.

Dr._Weird
2006-06-12, 12:31 PM
Who wouldn't buy the one with the man in black?

Now, if one had Inigo...

Akiosama
2006-06-12, 12:37 PM
I know I will still wait . . .
My brain implodes just thinking of why they are doing this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars#Re-releases). And then it reforms with the answer of "MONEY!!!" and I just shake my head. I hope that Robert A. Harris gets a chance to fix all this.

I might have to wait, too, since there's talk on IMDb about a Blu-Ray release in 2007. I'm not in that big of a hurry, and I'll have a Blu-Ray player in my PS3...

Who knows? It's not that much money anyhow, though, yeah, I guess there's something to be said for the way they're trying to milk that series for all they can...

My 2 yen,

May the Force (money, in this case) be with you.

Akio

storybookknight
2006-06-12, 07:17 PM
"No good, I've known too many Spaniards."

"I know something you don't know... I am not left handed."

^^ One of the great classic films. My kids are totally going to have to see it.

In further news, I'm boycotting Blu-ray myself - I refuse to let Sony dictate to the market what it wants, rather than the other way around.

Jack Squat
2006-06-12, 08:35 PM
I'll hold off on the Blu-Ray myself also. Afterall, I dislike Sony enough for their control over the minidiscs, well that and their controls to try and stop piracy...I can't listen to the songs I bought from them on Windows Media.

Back on topic, I'll proabably buy this when it goes into the budget bin, nothing against the movie, but I haven't set aside too much money to expand my movie and music collection. Most of it's going towards college and getting a motorcycle.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-06-12, 11:16 PM
Back on topic, I'll proabably buy this when it goes into the budget bin, nothing against the movie, but I haven't set aside too much money to expand my movie and music collection. Most of it's going towards college and getting a motorcycle.
I hear ya on that.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-12, 11:20 PM
Hee. hee.

One of my favorite movies of all time. And, obviously, one of the most quotable to ever be put on film.

Definitely the most quotable. The Emperor's New Groove is a close second in that respect. I recently had the privelige of playing Miracle Max in community theatre production of The Princess Bride. I pwned that whole scene if I do say so myself. Billy Crystal would've been proud. Is he still alive BTW?

Oh, and I think we can all agree that Sony is in fact the devil.

King_of_Oz
2006-08-07, 05:25 PM
I adore both the movie and book.

CommanderFalken
2006-08-10, 09:55 AM
Definitely the most quotable. The Emperor's New Groove is a close second in that respect. I recently had the privelige of playing Miracle Max in community theatre production of The Princess Bride. I pwned that whole scene if I do say so myself. Billy Crystal would've been proud. Is he still alive BTW?

Oh, and I think we can all agree that Sony is in fact the devil.

Lucky stiff! That would be awesome!

According to IMDB, ol' Billy's still alive, @ 59.

And, you brought up another awesome movie!!!!!!!!!! The Emperor's New Groove PWNED!

Chris_Chandler
2006-08-11, 09:52 AM
Such a wonderful movie. I don't know how many times I've seen it. A special edition DVD edition though. Meh. Maybe - though I'll prolly just wait and watch it when the library has it.

As much as I love the movie, the book is even better. It is great.

happyjenn97
2006-08-12, 12:57 AM
Aside from the cover, is there really anything difference between the two new editions? I heard there were two, but I could only find the Buttercup one, so that's the one I bought.

< hates the pink Buttercup cover
< bought <'s previous copy of the DVD before the "special edition" one even existed, so Buttercup was an upgrade
< loves both the movie and the book
< wishes "Buttercup's Baby" had really been written.

Don Beegles
2006-08-12, 06:10 PM
You want versions for all of the people, Shhalar?

Well why not the My Word as a Spaniard Edition, If you haven't got your health edition, The rather long-winded I've got to PLan my Wedding, Strangle my bride on our wedding night and create a war between two coutries Edition, and the This is teh pit of *Coff coff, coff* Despair Edition. You should have no trouble figuring out for whom each is.

kriklaf
2006-08-12, 06:21 PM

You're definitely not the only person who thinks that. Mind you, I am absolutely, definitely, IN NO WAY one of them. The Princess Bride will always be near the top of my list of favorite movies.

I have this theory that you had to see it a) when you were young and b) when it was newish. I've known a few people who didn't fit either qualification who still really like it, but not many. Let's face it, it's pretty corny, and the FX are, well, quaint. It's gotta hit you in the right mood, and before you're too jaded by all the cool CGI stuff to really appreciate the majesty of that lovely blue-screened Cliff of Insanity.

My favorite line? "Now go away or I'll call the brute squad." "I'm on the brute squad." "You are the brute squad." Good stuff.

Clay_Cthulhu
2006-08-21, 05:09 PM
I agree...this was an AWESOME movie...but there were some major differences from the book (if anyone read it). This should be expected however, but the thing I didn't like was how the "ZOO OF DEATH" became the "PIT OF DESPAIR" ...
got and guesses of why they changed that? ???

happyjenn97
2006-08-22, 02:46 AM
the "ZOO OF DEATH" became the "PIT OF DESPAIR" ...
got and guesses of why they changed that?

In the Buttercup Edition commentary, it's mentioned that they had a teeny weenie budget and couldn't afford to bring in all the animals the Zoo of Death would have required.

V it was $16 million. For a period action-adventure-type movie, that's a teeny weenie budget. Both the director and the screenwriter used that figure multiple times in the commentaries.

tamtam1991
2006-08-23, 02:36 PM
Princess Bride had a small budget? How is that even possible? With all the medieval scenes that are bound to cost a fortune simply for outfitting. Nontheless, one of the greatest films ever made and most easily quotable for truly almost any occasion. "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoye, you killed my father, prepare to die." Sigh... good old memmories...

Blood
2006-08-25, 06:28 AM
I'm totally serious when I say that for the past four years or so, what I've heard every time I get new mail on my Microsoft Inbox, is: "Who are you?" "I am no one to be trifled with. That is all you ever need know."

And before that, I had: "No more rhymes now, I mean it!" "Anybody wanta peanut?" "GETOFF!"

Aaaaaassss youuuu wishhhhh!

Evil_Pacifist
2006-08-26, 11:47 AM
Yes, great movie. Sadly, I have only seen it twice and don't own it.

Clay_Cthulhu
2006-08-26, 01:22 PM
This has to be one of the greatest written movies! I own it and it's kinda sad...
"Hey! Lts watch the princess bride!" (me)
"yeah right! THat's probably for babies!" (other guy)

it makes me so...depressed :'(

XzalkatriozX1885
2006-08-31, 06:36 PM
All I know is that I have seen the movie well over ten times and it easily ranks in my top 5. I introduced my girlfriend to the movie and she feel in love with it as well. I already on the movie on DVD so I won't be buying the SE anytime soon. I bought the Buttercup edition for my girlfriend so I could take my copy back, and I think that was a good trade. Back in highschool, we had a thingy, for lack of a better word, in which a club would show a movie and provide pizza during the show. The week they showed this one, I was asked to leave for bothering the others who had showed up to watch it by saying the quotes to loudly. So I went home and watched it there. Needless to say is that when ever I feel like a pick me up, that is the movie I reach for.

theswarm
2006-09-04, 01:19 AM
The best movie ever. No competition.
Best line? "Don't pester him, he's been mostly dead all day"
and " Never match wits with a Scicilian when DEATH is on the line! HAHAHA HAHA HAHA......WUMPF!!!"

Gargleblast
2006-09-04, 01:43 AM
It is THE BEST SWASHBUCKLER MOVIE EVER!

I am watching it right now. "Watch out Westly! It's a ROUS!" ;D

ShipWrecked
2006-09-04, 02:32 AM
AMAZING I MUST BUY THIS THIS IS A PRICELESS MEMORY I WILL WANT TO HAVE WHEN IM OLD! OMG I LOVED THIS MOVIE, I EVEN DID A SCENE OUT OF IT IN MY DRAMA CLASS.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-04, 02:33 AM
It is THE BEST SWASHBUCKLER MOVIE EVER!

I am watching it right now. "Watch out Westly! It's a ROUS!" ;D

LOL! rodents of unussual size. fricken awsome

LordOfNarf
2006-09-09, 11:33 PM
AMAZING I MUST BUY THIS THIS IS A PRICELESS MEMORY I WILL WANT TO HAVE WHEN IM OLD! OMG I LOVED THIS MOVIE, I EVEN DID A SCENE OUT OF IT IN MY DRAMA CLASS.

Please try to use proper grammer and don't capatalize everything, it makes it an absolute pain to read.

Also, I should get one of the versions, Its not like I realy care about the specials I buy movies for the y'know movie. i havent gotten aroung to the secials on any of my DVD's yet.

last time I saw the princess bride, I saw it on VHS, and DVDs had more place in a Sci-fi show than a home. Yeah, I barely remember it.

Serpentine
2006-09-13, 11:35 AM
I had a video, but now I only have a case for some sad reason :'( But my flatmate has a video AND a DVD, so she said I can have her vid ^_^
Confession time: About a quarter of the way through the book I was convinced it was set in real places. I wasn't corrected until about half way through. And that's after having seen it several dozen times already. I have to read it again sometime soon, properly. None of the anecdotes in the book about the making of the movie are true, are they? 'Tis sad, if not, I liked the ones about Andre :(

Joosbawx
2006-09-13, 12:10 PM
Of course, like the vast majority of the known universe, I love The Princess Bride, and I believe that what makes this movie so endearing to its fans is also something that is blatantly lacking from most of what Hollywood puts out these days. In a word: dialogue.

I find myself hard pressed to think of a movie that didn't try to sell itself with effects and CGI and by simple "virtue" of who's starring in the film opposed to actually have a decent plot and, more importantly, a bit of dialogue that you can sink your teeth into.

Lookign at TPB, there is hardly a wasted word in the whole film...and when you're working with a budget $16M as happyjenn97 mentioned dialogue is important because your're not going to afford many effects on that budget, especially in a period film.

Blood
2006-09-16, 01:10 AM
Yes! Princess Bride reference in OotS 348. ;D

Tptmanno1
2006-09-16, 03:41 AM
Wooo! yay references!

Don Beegles
2006-09-16, 08:56 AM
Oh God, that was priceless. When Elan revealed Belkar's actual inability to fight, I could only think "Ha, I knew you were bluffing. I knew he as bluffing all along, you know."

EloquentRune
2006-09-16, 10:02 PM
#348 has to be one of the best references OOTS has made to date

The Princess Bride is Amazing!!!!!!!

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-09-17, 04:33 PM
I love the movie, but everyone keeps saying the book is better, but the movie pwned madly, so if ya'll are telling the truth, I really must get the book, like... now...

happyjenn97
2006-10-13, 02:27 AM
I love the movie, but everyone keeps saying the book is better, but the movie pwned madly, so if ya'll are telling the truth, I really must get the book, like... now...

Yes, you must. Now.

Raven_Nightwind
2006-10-15, 09:23 PM
Ahh, this is one of the only movies I can repeatedly watch, yet still find hilarious. The other on is Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but what's the plot there?

The Princess Bride has been one of my favourite movies for many, many years.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-27, 11:09 PM
"As you wish"

That's all the quotes i can remember. But it was a good movie, and I caught the quote. When I first heard the title I was a bit hesitant to watch it.

AmberVael
2006-10-27, 11:16 PM
The Princess Bride rules all.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/Earin-ElyaPBStyle.gif
Westley and Buttercup want YOU *Points finger* to be their fans.

Ikkitosen
2006-10-28, 03:06 PM
Well, I won't be buying a new DVD of The Princess Bride since mine is still going well, thankyouverymuch.

However, on the topic of quotable movies I feel I have to mention Space Balls. "I'm surrounded by *******s!".

I may just have to see The Emperor's New Groove after the comments in this thread...

Om
2006-10-28, 04:01 PM
I first saw this film over a decade ago. I was a young nipper at the time and I remember watching it on tv with the extended family one Christmas. The one quote that stuck in my head was the infamous "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!" I finally picked up the DVD last year and I just love it. What a quality film.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-28, 08:32 PM
Oh, the emperor's new grove 2 had one very memorial quote in it, well at last for me.

Kronx(i think) had to give back his mansion, which included his two secretaries Tina and Marge. They both burst into tears.

Kronx goes "Don't cry, you'll find another job"

They go "We already have a job, but what will you do?"

Then Knonx strikes a pose and goes "Don't cry for me Marge and Tina."

I think the first time i watched it, it was on a broken Video case, so I actually listened to it the first time.

Flabbicus
2006-10-29, 07:48 PM
[after Westley rescues her from the lightning quicksand]
Buttercup: We'll never succeed. We may as well die here.
Westley: No, no. We have already succeeded. I mean, what are the three terrors of the Fire Swamp? One, the flame spurt - no problem. There's a popping sound preceding each; we can avoid that. Two, the lightning sand, which you were clever enough to discover what that looks like, so in the future we can avoid that too.
Buttercup: Westley, what about the R.O.U.S.'s?
Westley: Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
[Immediately, an R.O.U.S. attacks him]

Don Beegles
2006-10-30, 11:41 AM
I think thatWestley quote is always takenm out of context. Yes it's funny, but it also sort of shows his courage because IIRC he sees several ROUS before he says it, so he clearly knows they exist, but he's just manning up for Buttercup.

smellie_hippie
2006-11-14, 08:19 PM
Okay, so far we have...

Buttercup: Buttercup Edition

Westley: Dread Pirate Edition

Vizzini: Inconceivable Edition

Fezzik: My Way is Not Very Sportsman-like Edition (I would have gone with Peanut Edition or Everybody Move! Edition)

Impressive Clergyman: Twue Wuv and Maiwage Edition

We need one for:

Inigo Montoya, Prince Humperdinck, Miracle Max (my vote is for the MLT (Mutton, Lettuce, Tomato) Edition), Valerie, Count Rugen, The King (how about the She Kissed Me! Edition?), The Albino, Capt. Yellin ("Oh, this key?"), The Ancient Booer, The Grandfather, and The Grandson. Have I missed anyone? Okay, there's the Queen, but did she have any lines?

Inigo Montoya: I want my father back you son of a bitch. edition

Count Rugen: Please, be honest. This is for posterities sake. edition

The Albino: The Pit of Despair. edition

arris
2006-11-15, 07:34 AM
Princess bride has to be the greatest film, and the greatest book, ever... and Westley the greatest character ever.

Reading the book at the moment, You have to love Inigo and Fezzik's back stories.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-10, 09:04 PM
it definately is one of my favorites but i wouldnt go as far as to name it the best movie of all times, for that id be more partial to star wars.... and i wont be buying it because ive got it saved on my tivo....didnt even know they were releasing two different dvds with different extras, interesting

MrsbwcMD
2006-12-11, 03:56 PM
I had to check to see what "version" of the movie I owned, and remembered that I have a VHS copy. I may have to pick up one of the SE's, just to get some of the documentary stuff (one of my favorite things about DVDs). My son's only four months old, but I can't wait until he's old enough to understand the movie, so we can watch it together. I remember seeing it on TV when I was younger and crushing on both Carey Elwes and Mandy Patinkin. Gotta love a man who can swing a sword!

Yawielas
2006-12-11, 04:15 PM
Inigo:"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley/Dread pirate Roberts:"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Inigo: "You're ready then?"

I love The Princess Bride:) It's one of my top 5 films ever. And packed with funny quotes!

Lilly
2006-12-11, 05:05 PM
I had a psych professor who looked and sounded like Vinzinni. I kept waiting for him to say "inconceivable!" all semester long.

The Princess Bride is definatly one of my favorite movies. I can quote it word for word.

BlueWizard
2006-12-11, 05:13 PM
I missed it on the big screen, all my friends told me how great it was. I knew all about it long before I ever saw it, and still loved it!

King_of_Oz
2006-12-13, 10:34 PM
At my camp, Princess Bride is a CULT

Expladia
2006-12-15, 01:18 PM
I will say, with the utmost security in how dorky this is, that I am buying BOTH.

I just... really like that movie...

I'll probably buy others as tehy come out. :P

Jerthanis
2006-12-16, 02:53 AM
...but my favorite is either, I wouldn't do that if I were you, the world is in terribly short supply of perfect breasts. (quote exactness help?)

"There are a shortage of perfect breasts in the world, T'would be a pity to damage yours."

Incidentally, I learned that apparently Toyotomi Hideyoshi had six fingers on his right hand and was making that reference INCESSANTLY for weeks afterwords.

slipnslide
2006-12-22, 11:50 AM
I will say, with the utmost security in how dorky this is, that I am buying BOTH.

I just... really like that movie...

I'll probably buy others as tehy come out. :P

me too. i just love that movie.

Shadowdweller
2007-01-03, 03:23 PM
The movie is actually very much better than the book. While the basic plot remains the same, nearly all of those witty lines that people repeat and remember are creations for the film. The film also manages to drive home the pure, starry-eyed fairy tale underneath all the humor, which is a large part of its charm. The book instead makes a tired and ineffective pretense toward being historical fiction (read: no giants, no true love; reference to supposedly real places and cultures). Or at least satire/parody thereof.

Don Beegles
2007-01-03, 07:27 PM
I'm reading the book right now, and I can't say which is better.

Yes, most of the great lines come from the film, but that's not to say the book doesn't have some great ones as well.

Not only that, but it has some development for all of the characters, who all need it. You get quite a bit of their character in the movie, but in the book you just get so much more of a feel for them and you can love them that much better. I also love the way the book is a great romance/fantasy adventure while managing to effectively poke fun at all three genres. I think I'm going to have to go with the book, but the movie was great, and I think part of the reason the book was so good was that I was able to apply all of the funny lines at the right moments so they were hardly missed.

And why didn't they have the Zoo of Death? I mean, it wouldn't really have cost that much more because all of the animals you actually see don't really do much fancy stuff.

Pester
2007-01-06, 08:49 PM
For those of you that want to quote properly, I happen to have the script (http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/princess.shtml) bookmarked, which is pretty funny in it's own right, and captures the Goldman voice like the book did, but not the movie. Or maybe a little jead-jiggle can make you happy.

As for the book-versus-movie-debate, I'm pretty much on the fence. I mean, both of them were amazing. The strength of any book over a movie is that you can go deeper. You learn more about Inigo's father, and really mourn him going as much as Inigo did, rather than the almost generic quest for Revenge that Inigo in the movie has. Although there was nothing generic about Mandy Patinkin's acting. The movie has nothing at all about how Fezzik wound up in Greenland, and how a desire to avoid loneliness was his primary motivation. Let alone the background of smaller characters like Miracle Max, Vizzini, Count Rugen, and Humperdink. When it comes to characters, the one undeniable improvement the movie had over the book was to make Buttercup more of a Hero. She was always the protagonist, but in the book, she was constantly dismissed at stupid.

On the other hand, Goldman was as much, or more, a script-writer as a novelist, and he had time to get better between the two. As much as I miss hearing about how Fezzik became a wrestler, nothing can quite equal that duel on the cliffside. Or the utterly deadpan deliver exchanged between Vizzini and the Man in Black in their battle of wits. I can't see Fezzik as anyone but Andre the giant. The strength of movies is in what you can see in hear, which means that it got all of the awesome dialogue from the book and a number of other treats besides. The Albino's voice, for instance. If I had to choose, I'd have to rate the Movie above the book, just because a movie that good is much rarer than a really good book.

I have the Special Edition, but I'll probably give that to my sister and get a Specialer edition. From my experience, the reason why they have a Dread Pirate version and a Buttercup version is pretty clear. One is for boys, the other is for girls. I've known a few males who saw and loved The Princess Bride, but would barely speak of it because the title was so girly, and almost inappropriate. On the other hand, I recently brought it so that three girls I babysit could watch it.

"What's it about?"
"There's fencing, fighting, secrets, mysteries, betrayal, giants, monsters, chases, pirates... There are a few scary parts."
"Let's just play barbies."
"Look, it's called the Princess Bride. It has kissing and stuff."
"Alright!"

I was terribly dissappointed at having to play the "Girly" card to get them to watch it. But afterwards, they all got super-long straws and dueled in the living room, and asked me to bring one with girls sword-fighting next time. And so corruption of the young proceeds apace.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a good 5-10 age appropriate movie with girls sword-fighting?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-06, 10:02 PM
*returns from Wikipedia*

Ooooh, THATs the Princess Bride. Watched that with my sister... and I'm honestly trying to figure out why I keep seeing its name pop up. It was... ok. Absolutely nothing in it that got me ramped up. The big guy was cool though.

Never read the book, though probably will now. Written form is almost always superior.

Serpentine
2007-01-07, 09:51 AM
Incidentally, does anyone know of a good 5-10 age appropriate movie with girls sword-fighting?
How about Willow? Oh, girls sword-fighting, dang. Um... No, but there should be more, dammit!

zeratul
2007-01-07, 07:15 PM
BEST MOVIE EVER i own the dread pirate edition

zeratul
2007-01-07, 07:20 PM
For those of you that want to quote properly, I happen to have the script (http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/princess.shtml) bookmarked, which is pretty funny in it's own right, and captures the Goldman voice like the book did, but not the movie. Or maybe a little jead-jiggle can make you happy.

pirates of the carribean depending on the kid

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-07, 07:25 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean is NOT a little-kid movie.

Might could try Pipi Longstocking. She's got a sword and plays around with it... otherwise not a clue.

averagejoe
2007-01-07, 07:36 PM
From my experience, the reason why they have a Dread Pirate version and a Buttercup version is pretty clear. One is for boys, the other is for girls. I've known a few males who saw and loved The Princess Bride, but would barely speak of it because the title was so girly, and almost inappropriate. On the other hand, I recently brought it so that three girls I babysit could watch it.

The Princess Bride? Ha! Try being a young male reading All the Pretty Horses. You always have to insist that it really is a tough cowboy book.

I thought about your question for awhile, and it bothers me that I can't think of an answer. Even in above 5-10 movies it is a rarety, and women only seem to be able to get away with it by being ultra-sexual or ultra gung-ho-annoyingly-arrogant. Most often both. Hmmm. I'll ask my sister and/or a few of my friends when I get the chance and come back later.

Oh yeah, and the princess bride rocks. I won't even try to compare the book and the movie. I liked 'em both just fine.

Zeb The Troll
2007-01-08, 03:25 AM
I'm definitely going to go out and buy one of the new versions. I've owned this since it first came out on VHS and my daughter and I have watched it regularly as she was growing up. Now's she's gone off and gotten married (I'm even going to be a grandtroll very soon!) so she'll be needing a copy. I'm thinking I'll hand down the one we've been watching together for the last few years and get myself a new one. Why not just give her the new one as a gift or something, you might ask? Simple, I want her to want to come visit and watch the new goodies that her version won't have. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2007-01-08, 10:17 AM
Good plan, Zeb.
I thought of a good movie for Pester: Kill Bill! It has kick-arse women wielding swords, lots of swashbucking and the like. And it's totally for 5-10-year-olds, right?
I dunno, maybe they should just start turning all the Tamora Pierce books into movies. That should about cover it.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-15, 01:10 PM
I always loved the princess bride movies but my wife can't stand it!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-15, 02:10 PM
lol, well, I rewatched it, and it is better than I recall, but I still have to say its only in the 'ok' category. Then again, almost every fantasy movie I've seen is in the 'KILL IT! KILL IT!' category.

Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Willow are about the only ones I'd put on my 'pretty derned good' list. I've never seen what the problem with Willow was, I've always loved it.

The Brothers Grimm could have been really good except for the idiotic business with the French general and the tortures and the like. Those bits didn't flow with the rest of the show and completely took away from the movie's feel with its failed attempts at macabre humor.

Zeb The Troll
2007-01-15, 05:01 PM
I've never seen what the problem with Willow was, I've always loved it. Willow is another great movie. I love it too. It's been a long while since I've seen it though. Hmmm, Netflix...

zeratul
2007-01-15, 05:05 PM
I always loved the princess bride movies but my wife can't stand it!

I believe you know what must be done. You must kill youre wife.

Serpentine
2007-01-16, 09:33 PM
Take her to the Pit of Despair!

Avarial's Bow
2007-01-18, 03:10 AM
Yeah, even through slightly sexist, the Princess Bride is great. It would be even better if Buttercup could use a sword or bow.
I own Dread Pirate edition, didn't even know there was a Buttercup one. Darn it! Now I have to buy that one too!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-18, 09:31 AM
Yeah, even through slightly sexist, the Princess Bride is great. It would be even better if Buttercup could use a sword or bow.
I own Dread Pirate edition, didn't even know there was a Buttercup one. Darn it! Now I have to buy that one too!
You mean realistic don't you? Because despite what you see on Xena, most women didn't know how to fight... but then again, neither did the average man.

Zeb The Troll
2007-01-18, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Avarial's Bow http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1849229#post1849229)
You mean realistic don't you? Because despite what you see on Xena, most women didn't know how to fight... but then again, neither did the average man.I tend to agree with Avarial's Bow. I'm not asking that she wield a weapon or even know how to fight but, for example, it irks me when in the Fire Swamp being attacked by an ROUS, instead of swinging the large club in her hands she meekly pushes with it. Also she does nothing during that scene to help out Westley in any way. In that manner she's needlessly portrayed as weak and helpless.

But this is a minor quibble in an otherwise fantastic movie that I will continue to watch regularly. :smallcool:

Xartyve
2007-01-19, 10:35 PM
AAARGGGH! NOT RELEASED IN MY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN! The movie rocks though! It is my 7th favourite movie!

Pirates of the Caribbean is NOT a little-kid movie.

That was my impression of it.

Scorpina
2007-01-19, 10:44 PM
The big guy was cool though.

Ah, Andre the Giant, we hardly knew ye...

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-22, 01:33 PM
THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!!!!

I love that part :)

Ptolemy
2007-01-22, 08:53 PM
Sorry to say, but, what's The Princess Bride? I've seriously never heard of it... :-/

You've been deprived; I'm sorry.

I actually bought the Buttercup edition because that's the one the store had. I never buy a DVD for the special features. They're nice and all (friggin' awesome in the case of LOTR), but it's the movies that I love.

Dabble
2007-01-23, 12:55 AM
God, What a great movie. I think I own a copy somewhere, along with all the other dvd's I own that have not even been open yet.

I think I'll skip the SE though.