PDA

View Full Version : Can we please just *stop* with the V's Gender threads?

Flame of Anor
2009-07-24, 01:38 AM
Seriously, guys, it's getting old. I'm not even talking about the Rickroll ones, although those are certainly stupid, but all of them. I don't mind hearing a cool new theory based on facts, but the endless "[name] called V he/she!" "V was originally male!" "V's body shape!" "V's eye placement!" "V's attitude toward shoes!" If you just can't bear not discussing V's gender at all, could we maybe have some mod post a stickied list of summaries of all the proposed arguments/theories--then people could check it to see if their theory is already on there before posting. I just don't want to keep seeing every tenth thread on the OotS board be "Hey, I know V's gender because [reason that has already been put forth ten zillion times]".

Killer Angel
2009-07-24, 02:22 AM
I can understand and share your feelings.
Threads on V's gender are terribly annoying, and could be an idea to stick a thread for this debate, to which refere.
Still some of them are interesting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119126), and even the worst ones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119243)have some utility: now i know the meaning of the term "rickrolling" (well, thinking on it a while, I don't know if it's a good thing to know... :smalltongue:)

Inhuman Bot
2009-07-24, 02:24 AM
Though I haven't been on the oots forum lately, I think this is probably the only mention of it I've seen in awhile..

Besides, how many dozen "can we stop with ______" threads have there been allready?

Quite afew, and as they're still being made...

David Argall
2009-07-24, 02:43 AM
no.

Sorry about that.

Haven
2009-07-24, 02:45 AM
Wait a minute, in OotS bonus strip e, V mentioned that only Fire would reveal V's true gender! And since there isn't a letter d in your screenname, V must be a dude! It all makes sense now!

zyphyr
2009-07-24, 03:31 AM
Wait a minute, in OotS bonus strip e, V mentioned that only Fire would reveal V's true gender! And since there isn't a letter d in your screenname, V must be a dude! It all makes sense now!

Ah, but there is also no G, so V is clearly a girl.

Rebarth
2009-07-24, 07:06 AM
Seriously, guys, it's getting old. I'm not even talking about the Rickroll ones, although those are certainly stupid, but all of them. I don't mind hearing a cool new theory based on facts, but the endless "[name] called V he/she!" "V was originally male!" "V's body shape!" "V's eye placement!" "V's attitude toward shoes!" If you just can't bear not discussing V's gender at all, could we maybe have some mod post a stickied list of summaries of all the proposed arguments/theories--then people could check it to see if their theory is already on there before posting. I just don't want to keep seeing every tenth thread on the OotS board be "Hey, I know V's gender because [reason that has already been put forth ten zillion times]".

ignore them. thats such a small problem, i can't believe you created a thread just for it.

Jaltum
2009-07-24, 07:31 AM
The problem is that V's Gender threads are not made by people who will ever read this thread, or by people who read FAQs. They're made by new people who jump into the board without lurking for long or reading anything because they just can't wait to share their amazing discovery about V's Gender. This happens more or less constantly, as new people discover the comic.

The only time it doesn't happen is when there are active V's gender threads on the main page, because people see those, and even then, people often don't bother to check closely. And when they do contribute to those threads, they often reply without reading what anyone else has commented, so they repeat what everyone else has already.

Eventually there are two or three simultaneous threads of people saying the same thing without bothering to read what anyone else has to say, and oldbies complaining about this, and the Usual Cranks winding each other up with the same old arguments.

Then the prank/joke threads start. Then the "Can we please just shut up about V's gender?" threads start. Then it finally begins to die down, as even the most oblivious newbies can't help noticing that this topic is done to death.

Then we have silence for a while. A new person comes along with a brilliant new theory about V's gender, scans the main page, doesn't see any threads about it on the main page...

This lifecycle applies to all of the long-running mysteries and debates, and will never end as long as new people are finding the comic.

HTH.

Morquard
2009-07-24, 07:32 AM
Ah, but there is also no G, so V is clearly a girl.
There is also no H, proofing that V clearly is a hermaphrodite.

And there is clearly a D AND a G in his forum title, but no H, which again supports my theory.

Also H is the 8th letter in the alphabet, which is twice that of D. This doesn't exactly tell us anything by itself, but if you consider that twice is just another word for "times 2". Now 8 is also 2^3, and 2*3 is 6, and 666 (which obviously is 6 written 3 times) is the number of the beast, that means that V actually is a devil already. And the Pit Fiends didn't know that, otherwise it would be stupid to make the deal with V. So V must be an ultra-powerful Lawful Evil Hermaphrodite Super-Devil.

And yes, I know that 666 is only ONE number of the beast and 616 is another, and where it comes from. Oh and please don't take any of my post serious

theinsulabot
2009-07-24, 07:33 AM
the oots forums is never going to give up v's gender threads, its never gonna let down MitD discussion threads, and they are always going to hurt you

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-24, 07:38 AM
Complaining about thread topics you don't like doesn't achieve anything. If you don't want to discuss V's gender, or MitD's race, or whether Miko was correct, then simply don't read those threads, and talk about the parts of the comic you want to talk about.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-24, 07:55 AM
Besides, how many dozen "can we stop with ______" threads have there been allready?

This. I've seen nearly as many threads asking if we can stop with them as there are threads about them. It doesn't seem to work though.

BHodges3
2009-07-24, 08:05 AM
I would take a million more threads pondering V's gender (as silly a pointless as I think they are) over another freakin' thread about alignment. XXX did this! What is his alignment now?! OMG!

FTW!

Shatteredtower
2009-07-24, 08:16 AM
It's easiest to ignore them, though people generally have a hard time with that.

Meanwhile, I try to be grateful that no one's ever done a thread "revealing" that V's an elf.

...Yet. :smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-24, 08:21 AM
It's easiest to ignore them, though people generally have a hard time with that.

Meanwhile, I try to be grateful that no one's ever done a thread "revealing" that V's an elf.

...Yet. :smallwink:

Don't! kpenguin said something similar about V's Gender Threads being rick rolls, and we got at least two within a day!

...*checks front page* Oh noes!
No, not yet at least.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-24, 08:41 AM
I've seen a lot more "Can we please stop" threads than "Someone called V a she" threads lately.
The ones that actually are interesting, like the newest one that brings weight into it, I don't mind at all.

Optimystik
2009-07-24, 09:04 AM
no.

Sorry about that.

This. Until we get Word of God on the issue, expect every potentially gender-related action V takes (such as changing his hairstyle, outfit, or color scheme) to result in a gender thread.

pflare
2009-07-24, 09:20 AM
I don't agree with all of the threads out there either but if I come across one that I find boring or similar to one I've read before I just don't pay it any attention. I would also like to mention, as a relatively new member myself, sometimes newer members want to discuss something and don't know that its already been done before so cut them (us) some slack.

Jackson
2009-07-24, 09:24 AM
Also, expect every action V takes that isn't potentially gender-related to have a marginal-to-fair chance of resulting in a new gender thread. As well as comics in which V does not feature. Probably your best bet is to avoid clicking on the threads that promise a solution to the V's gender problem.

Also, keep in mind that, as mystifying as it might seem to you that people obsess over guessing V's gender, it may be equally mystifying to others as to why you'd care so much about the existence of threads that you are under no compulsion to read.

Though, of course, if there's somebody who jumps out of your closet whenever a new V's gender theory thread is posted, physically overpowers you, throws you into a Clockwork Orange-style viewing machine, and forces you to read every post, then I can understand your distress. Hell, in that case, I'd fully support a moratorium on V's gender threads, if only for your poor sake. That must be awful.

Rhoni
2009-07-24, 09:39 AM
Yes. As soon as hir gender is revealed, we can stop with the threads.

DnDgeek13
2009-07-24, 10:10 AM
the rickrolling thing can be funny if done right but posting threads to rickroll is just plain annoying,

Rhoni
2009-07-24, 10:12 AM
The only time rickrolling is funny is when you put it in the middle of a Rick Astley song.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-24, 10:31 AM
I don't agree with all of the threads out there either but if I come across one that I find boring or similar to one I've read before I just don't pay it any attention. I would also like to mention, as a relatively new member myself, sometimes newer members want to discuss something and don't know that its already been done before so cut them (us) some slack.

Well, if they posted one now, with no less than 4 threads related to the subject on the front page, they'd have no excuse. And although I don't frequent this part of the forum often anymore (I was driven off by the, guess what, endless V's Gender Threads), I don't think I've ever seen the front page without a page on V's Gender, so then its a matter of not looking before posting.

Zanaril
2009-07-24, 10:35 AM
I don't think I've ever seen the front page without a page on V's Gender, so then its a matter of not looking before posting.

There was a short while when the V's gender thread were replaced with V's alignment threads. Now we just get both.

EmperorSarda
2009-07-24, 10:44 AM
That is blasphemy for decrying the hypothesis of V.'s gender. Blasphemy I say!

And actually, V. is an it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html). But not for lack of gender, but an excess of gender. In which the 3rd gender (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2008/08/23/episode-1028-the-beauty-of-nature/) impregnates other species.

AstralFire
2009-07-24, 10:48 AM
Let's make a topic discussing the alignment of people who start "V's Gender" threads, as well as those who start "Stop Talking About V's Gender" threads.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-24, 05:29 PM
There was a short while when the V's gender thread were replaced with V's alignment threads. Now we just get both.

Hmm...is there such a thing as gender-preference-alignment? In that case I think I'm chaotic straight good male.

donkyhotay
2009-07-24, 06:13 PM
I've been reading OOTS since around the time they first encountered the linear guild back in the dungeon of dorukan. V gender threads have been around since at least that time along with the "stop it with the V gender threads". They're not going away, people that just started to read the comic yesterday are going to come up with the exact same theories & opinions people were coming up with back at the very beginning of OOTS. So long as either the forum exists or rich doesn't divulge V's gender the V gender threads will keep appearing and re-hashing the same thing over and over again. Honestly, just ignore them, don't read them. Your brain will thank you for it in the end.

teratorn
2009-07-24, 07:22 PM
No, and contrary to David I'm not sorry for that.

Young members of the forum have the same right to discuss and have fun with these things as the older members had on their early days in the forum. I still remember feeling "proud" when I found an add for OOTS t-shirts where it was obvious V had no boobs.

Besides it's fun crushing their sense of achievement by pointing out they're something like the 100th person having noticed that.

kpenguin
2009-07-24, 10:47 PM
I agree with teratorn. Let the newbies have their fun. We were all new once.

Herald Alberich
2009-07-24, 11:06 PM
This. Until we get Word of God on the issue, expect every potentially gender-related action V takes (such as changing his hairstyle, outfit, or color scheme) to result in a gender thread.

Hah! Just one? You live up to your username.

But the reasons make sense. So does the suggested response: ignore them and let the pointless debates go on. That's what the internet is for, after all.

Tova
2009-07-25, 01:25 AM
I hope that Giant does reveal V's gender at some stage, in the (possibly futile) hope that not only will it stop the threads, but it will stop the asinine use of words like 'hir'.

I mean the joke has been good and all, but... meh. It's losing its charm now.

Elfin
2009-07-25, 01:33 AM
Hah! Just one? You live up to your username.

But the reasons make sense. So does the suggested response: ignore them and let the pointless debates go on. That's what the internet is for, after all.

Quite so; seems a very reasonable proposition.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-25, 06:32 AM
I hope that Giant does reveal V's gender at some stage, in the (possibly futile) hope that not only will it stop the threads, but it will stop the asinine use of words like 'hir'.

I mean the joke has been good and all, but... meh. It's losing its charm now.

I doubt that will stop the V's Gender threads. Just like Rich saying "BELKAR IS CHAOTIC EVIL" didn't stop the idiots.

Elyk80
2009-08-19, 06:46 PM
dont you wanna find out what gender v is?

Watcher
2009-08-19, 07:31 PM
I doubt that will stop the V's Gender threads. Just like Rich saying "BELKAR IS CHAOTIC EVIL" didn't stop the idiots.

Not to mention the "I told you so!" threads that might pop up.

Cracklord
2009-08-19, 07:37 PM
The only time rickrolling is funny is when you put it in the middle of a Rick Astley song.

Well, I have a theory that the creepy video in the Ring isn't what you'd think...

dont you wanna find out what gender v is?

No. You know why? Because it is not an important part of his/her character. V's gender is entirely irrelevant.

Now, I do hate the 'Belkar will not die' threads, but only because I have a slight suspicion that they might be right, and I am so looking forwad to watching him die in a long and drawn out fashion.

Scarlet Knight
2009-08-19, 09:29 PM
Complaining about thread topics you don't like doesn't achieve anything. If you don't want to discuss V's gender, or MitD's race, or whether Miko was correct, then simply don't read those threads, and talk about the parts of the comic you want to talk about.

Hear! Hear!

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-19, 09:35 PM

Sheriff of Moddingham: If you see more than one active on the first few pages, report one and provide links to the others. We'll merge them or lock some. But as long as people keep to the one thread per topic rule, they are allowed to talk about whatever they want. (Also, creating a thread asking for no more threads about something: 1) increases the number of threads about that thing by one and 2) is unlikely to stem the tide of such threads in anyway.)