PDA

View Full Version : Real people alignments

Harperfan7
2009-07-24, 05:11 AM
I've been thinking about this recently and I want to know what other D&Ders think. All I'm looking for is "Ron Paul - CG". No "Ron Paul is CG because blahblahblah". I don't want the moderators to shut this down over politics/religion/whatever.

I've seen a few on the web, but they cover roughly the same 20 odd people.

Whaddya got?

kamikasei
2009-07-24, 05:12 AM
Without discussion, what's the point? Even without discussion, assigning alignments to real people is likely to run afoul of the no-politics rule.

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 05:20 AM
Keld Denar - LG

there...I contributed!

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 05:22 AM
Omegonthesane - TN/NE :P

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 05:24 AM
Alignment is more than just desires and intent. It is the actual follow-through on those desires and intents. Thinking evil thoughts doesn't make you evil. Acting on those thoughts does. Are you really sure you are NE?

:P

Omegonthesane
2009-07-24, 05:25 AM
No. I said TN/NE, so borderline - not done enough evil to shift. Plus, I'm not Lawful, so I don't get sent to Baator for doing a few nasty things :P

Project_Mayhem
2009-07-24, 05:51 AM
Project Mayhem: CN

appropriately I guess

Night Monkey
2009-07-24, 05:55 AM
The distinction between action and intent with alignments is interesting, especially when you apply it to real life. Philosophically speaking, I'm NG, as in, I think that NG'ness represents the best approach to being moral. In reality, I don't think I'm actually benevolent enough as a person to warrant being considered good. I do think I'm neutral on the lawful/chaotic spectrum though, as although I'm generally law-abiding, I'm not particularly tradition-abiding.

quick_comment
2009-07-24, 06:05 AM
You know, a political discussion cut short after the first statement is still a political discussion. Your classifying a politician by an alignment is a political statement, which I'm not allowed to respond to by board rules.

My two cents: real people do not have alignments, nor is the alignment system a consistent classification scheme that can be applied to real people. It's already very flawed for fictitious characters, who are in general much less complex.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-24, 06:38 AM
Piedmon Sama - Neutral Lazy :smallsigh:

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-24, 07:11 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This is inherently political from the first post. Thread locked. Sheriff = LG or LN?