PDA

View Full Version : The fate of the Peregrine team....

paladinofshojo
2009-07-24, 12:01 PM
I'm just wondering if they're going to be killed off like standard redshirts or are they going to get character development and aid in successfully liberating Azure City

Optimystik
2009-07-24, 12:02 PM
Even if they die they'll accomplish something big. Like LotR, you don't send in the elves and not have serious **** go down.

(I can't believe I'm rooting for elves, but Peregrine Team was just all kinds of awesome.)

Erts
2009-07-24, 12:03 PM
I'm just wondering if they're going to be killed off like standard redshirts or are they going to get character development and aid in successfully liberating Azure City

Well, I don't think the elves would send a squad unless they are pretty powerful. I don't think they will be killed off immediately.

TengYt
2009-07-24, 12:04 PM
I hope they get some good development. It'd be nice for the Order to get more NPC allies other than the Azurites and Celia.

Morty
2009-07-24, 12:07 PM
They're at least 9th level, as the wizard is casting Teleport. Which means that even though they'll most likely go down, they'll wreck some serious havoc. Unless Redcloak's hobgoblins entrenched themselves in the city really heavily.

Optimystik
2009-07-24, 12:12 PM
They're at least 9th level, as the wizard is casting Teleport. Which means that even though they'll most likely go down, they'll wreck some serious havoc. Unless Redcloak's hobgoblins entrenched themselves in the city really heavily.

They'd better be careful then, that's an orange alert! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0513.html)

Erts
2009-07-24, 12:14 PM
Remember, they are going to Thanh and the Resistance first.

How far away are the elven homelands?

bue52
2009-07-24, 12:18 PM
I think the Peregrine's main goal to aid Thanh, which also probably means that their mission would probably be more of sabotage and reconnaissance, rather then a full frontal attack. In addition, they probably have been informed that Xykon and the rest are getting ready to leave, so I think they'll take they're time for now, to allow more elves to help out in the Liberation. They may also try to find ways to smuggle those slaves out, at least that way the old, and sick can get proper care.

Erts
2009-07-24, 12:20 PM
I think the Peregrine's main goal to aid Thanh, which also probably means that their mission would probably be more of sabotage and reconnaissance, rather then a full frontal attack. In addition, they probably have been informed that Xykon and the rest are getting ready to leave, so I think they'll take they're time for now, to allow more elves to help out in the Liberation. They may also try to find ways to smuggle those slaves out, at least that way the old, and sick can get proper care.

Didn't Xykon decide to leave around a couple of hours ago?

Axl_Rose
2009-07-24, 12:23 PM
They seem cool, but for some reason I still want Xykon to meteor swarm them... in the mouths, preferably.

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-24, 12:24 PM
Didn't Xykon decide to leave around a couple of hours ago?

Yeah, but not until he finds his Phylactery, which could take at least a few days.

Yeah, we're not gonna get a full blown uprising just yet, more like a guerilla action.

Fish
2009-07-24, 12:28 PM
To me, it's obvious. They say they're going to meet up with Thanh and coordinate more insertions. And they have at least one spellcaster. And they've been advised of Cloister ... and its weaknesses.

They're going to summon more Elves.

TriForce
2009-07-24, 12:31 PM
Well consider this: who ever said that team peregrine is the ONLY team teleporting in? for all we know there could be a hundred (ok that might be a bit much) that rich isnt showing us yet. since they are reporting back to some HQ, im assuming that HQ has some more plans then just a single team:smallamused:

whitemane
2009-07-24, 12:32 PM
My thought is that the Giant should do a spin-off comic for Team Peregrine!!!!

FoE
2009-07-24, 12:36 PM
I doubt Team Peregrine will face Xykon. Remember, Xykon doesn't care about the state of the city anymore. He never really did. Once he's got his phylactery back, he's ditching Azure City with Redcloak, Tsukiko and the MitD. I predict the next time we see Team Evil, the hobgoblin commander is giving Redcloak reports of massive casaulties and Xykon's reaction is "Blah blah blah DON'T CARE! Do you have my ****ing phylactery, worm?"

When the hobgoblin commander hands it over, Xykon flies out of there with Team Evil in tow, leaving the hobgoblins to fend for themselves.

The only reason Xykon might care about the elves is if he wants some XP out of them. But without his phylactery, he's probably feeling a bit vulnerable.

To me, it's obvious. They say they're going to meet up with Thanh and coordinate more insertions. And they have at least one spellcaster. And they've been advised of Cloister ... and its weaknesses.

Yes, exactly.

Optimystik
2009-07-24, 12:38 PM
Interesting trivia:

A Peregrine is a type of falcon.
The word Peregrine comes from the latin for "Wanderer."
The Peregrine is the world's fastest animal, capable of diving at speeds over 200mph.

All in all, not hard to see why the scouting team took this name. :smallsmile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Falcon

pflare
2009-07-24, 12:38 PM

I completely agree. Because the Peregines weren't there when Cloister was cast they can still be contacted magically. Therefore, if they're with Thanh then the other elves will know where to find them. I also believe that they will summon elven warriors and such to them because that's the one form of magic that Cloister doesn't block.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-24, 12:45 PM
They have quite unique designs, I think they will be around for a while.

Dark Faun
2009-07-24, 12:52 PM
Interesting trivia:

The Peregrine is the world's fastest animal, capable of diving at speeds over 200mph.

Since you mentioned LotR, isn't it Pippin's real name too? Peregrine Took?

snafu
2009-07-24, 01:13 PM
Since you mentioned LotR, isn't it Pippin's real name too? Peregrine Took?

Peregrin, son of Paladin, as I recall.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-24, 01:18 PM
I completely agree. Because the Peregines weren't there when Cloister was cast they can still be contacted magically. Therefore, if they're with Thanh then the other elves will know where to find them. I also believe that they will summon elven warriors and such to them because that's the one form of magic that Cloister doesn't block.

More agreement.

It's also the soundest tactical decision one could make in such circumstances I think.

All told, probably a very good move <. .>b And regardless, a very cool one >_<

Jaltum
2009-07-24, 01:20 PM
Looks like an interesting campaign with a fun 'all-elven' hook. I wonder if Tsukiko is going to get left behind as the BBEG; I didn't think so, before the Peregrines appeared, but a full adventuring party needs a better end-game than "oh, hey, it's... another Hobgoblin, but with more class levels."

Erts
2009-07-24, 01:21 PM
Okay, to gauge how powerful these guys are, does anyone have any idea how many miles the Elven homelands are from Azure City?

Herald Alberich
2009-07-24, 01:32 PM
Interesting trivia:

As a small, swift-acting covert ops team that ranges far from the elven homelands to strike decisively at their foes? My thoughts exactly.

My thought is that the Giant should do a spin-off comic for Team Peregrine!!!!
Eh, he's got enough on his plate, and the main story updates slowly enough as it is. Perhaps he could collaborate with someone; have them do the writing and most of the art while he oversees the story, in exchange for Erfworld-style exposure.

Haven
2009-07-24, 01:38 PM
I imagine they might be able to disrupt Xykon's hunt for his phylactery. If they're really good, they might even be able to do it without him being aware of it.

What I'm really hoping for is that somehow a Michael Westen expy shows up and starts giving awesome voiceovers on the how-to of liberating a city from an evil lich and his hobgoblin army. It'd end with Redcloak and Xykon killing each other over the bad information he'd given them.

You know it'd be awesome.

factotum
2009-07-24, 01:59 PM
Okay, to gauge how powerful these guys are, does anyone have any idea how many miles the Elven homelands are from Azure City?

They're on the opposite side of the ocean from Azure City, so some thousands of miles. However, you can't really use that to judge how powerful they are, because Teleport is clearly not as limited in the Stickverse as it is by the book--if it were, then the NPC wizard who teleported the Order to Cliffport would have to be 18th level, and there's no way a wizard that high a level would have died to the Roc when the rest of the Order didn't, no matter how drunk he was.

Also, we don't know that they're not using Greater Teleport, which has no range limit and would only require the wizard to be 13th level.

isocum
2009-07-24, 02:06 PM
I doubt Team Peregrine will face Xykon. Remember, Xykon doesn't care about the state of the city anymore. He never really did. Once he's got his phylactery back, he's ditching Azure City with Redcloak, Tsukiko and the MitD. I predict the next time we see Team Evil, the hobgoblin commander is giving Redcloak reports of massive casaulties and Xykon's reaction is "Blah blah blah DON'T CARE! Do you have my ****ing phylactery, worm?"

When the hobgoblin commander hands it over, Xykon flies out of there with Team Evil in tow, leaving the hobgoblins to fend for themselves.

The only reason Xykon might care about the elves is if he wants some XP out of them. But without his phylactery, he's probably feeling a bit vulnerable.

Yes, exactly.

i don't think elves have enough levels for xykon to get xp out of them, so i don't see it happening. probably elves will attack right after xykon finds his phylactery, so i think what we will see is that redcloak watching the goblin nation he founded fall, while xykon having fun with what's going on(hell, he may attack around just out of spite), and forcing everyone with levels to leave.

considering recent loss of the eye, losing the city as well would mean serious character development for redcloak in the next arc. who knows, maybe he can become more like right-eye, and finally makes a move against xykon.

rewinn
2009-07-24, 02:08 PM
Yeah, but not until he finds his Phylactery, which could take at least a few days.

Yeah, we're not gonna get a full blown uprising just yet, more like a guerilla action.The Resistence plus Team Peregrine et al have a big decision to make:

Snipe at the goblins searching the sewer for the Phylactery (which will help in the eventual Liberation but risk bringing Xykon into play), or
Quietly help the Phylactery get found so Xykon departs (this seems inconceivable, but it might be a temptation), or
Race the goblins to find the Phylactery that it may be teleported to Elfland for destruction.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-24, 02:18 PM
Xykon is not the city's business. You can be sure they'd rather just see him away so they could act unhindered.

Skorj
2009-07-24, 02:22 PM
No one on Team Peregrine has a name yet. The genre-savvy wouldn't stand too close to them right now. Of course, they may be holding their names in reserve for a moment of need. :smallsmile:

Erts
2009-07-24, 02:33 PM
No one on Team Peregrine has a name yet. The genre-savvy wouldn't stand too close to them right now. Of course, they may be holding their names in reserve for a moment of need. :smallsmile:

I think it would be very ironic if we never hear from Team Peregine, and we just see them in the backround after Azure City is freed.

Draz74
2009-07-24, 02:52 PM
The end of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0547.html) oft-forgotten strip might be relevant.

Thanh has more allies in his Resistance efforts than he knows, even once Team Peregrine and their "insertions" join the ranks.

Moriato
2009-07-24, 03:06 PM

But the team has a name. That should probably count for something.

Acero
2009-07-24, 03:15 PM
one word. DEATH!!!! most, if not all of them, will die. that is my prediction.

any survivers will form w/ the OotS to replace members i predict that will die. (probabley Elan or Durkon)

Elans happy ending will be dieing by his friends (or just haley)

Sabin Marcus
2009-07-24, 04:07 PM
Elans happy ending will be dieing by his friends (or just haley)

Wow, that's a pretty lame definition of 'happy.' Besides which, it's far enough removed from conventional drama that Elan wouldn't think of it as happy, making the Oracle's choice to call it a happy ending dubious at best.

Belkar and Durkon are pretty well doomed, but the only other one I see facing any real chance of dying is Vaarsuvius. Even then, its karmic death may be mitigated by honest-to-goodness redemption, which appears to be well underway already.

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:17 PM
Wow, that's a pretty lame definition of 'happy.' Besides which, it's far enough removed from conventional drama that Elan wouldn't think of it as happy, making the Oracle's choice to call it a happy ending dubious at best.

Agreed; a traditional 'happy ever after' is surely on the cards for Elan, and thus, by extension, Haley too.

As for Team Peregrine; well, who knows? The great team name will probably mean they are spared a TPK, and such a cool entrance surely buys them a bit of time, at least; but at this stage they are all firmly in the Nameless Mook/Red Shirt category.

David Argall
2009-07-24, 04:28 PM
We may see absolutely zero about these elves hereafter. We have no PCs around and no real interaction with them either. So they tell us there is an effort to retake Azure City, and that may be exactly that.

We also already seem to have a lot of material to cover in the next book. Adding in another front is going to make things crowded, unless we go for two books on the next gate too.

By the way, the infiltration is happening some time in the future. It takes time for things like this to organize and Hinjo just learned the info today.

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:40 PM
It seems quite likely that the point of Team Peregrine is to show a convincing way that Azure City can be retaken (i.e. Elves onside, Team Evil's Big Hitters off to the next gate) without having to bog down the Order. We may get the odd few pages of update, but a full blown arc with four new major characters? Seems unlikely.

By the way, the infiltration is happening some time in the future. It takes time for things like this to organize and Hinjo just learned the info today.

Probably not that far in the future, though. If Hinjo got Durkon to send a message to his allies the night before, on the general subject of gathering intelligence from Azure City, it is perhaps likely that the Elven strike team had already been put together, awaiting an opportune moment. They had known about the Cloister, and had wanted to get round it, for some time. The arrival of the Order and O-Chul with valuable intelligence looks like the final trigger that meant the mission was good to go. I guess we need assume no more than a day of delay between panels 6 and 7 to allow Team Peregrine to get appropriately tooled and spelled up.

*NB copied some of this post from a previous post on the main thread.

Ridureyu
2009-07-24, 04:48 PM
Considering how horribly evil they are (killing unarmed hobgoblins just becuase they're there? What if one of them was a pregnant female?), I think it is only just that Team Peregrine meets its rightful fate by being slaughtered quickly. I am simply appalled at the level of vicious violence perpetrated by the Azurites in this strip, and this only proves it. Clearly, they need Miko to lead them toward the Light.

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:50 PM
Considering how horribly evil they are (killing unarmed hobgoblins just becuase they're there? What if one of them was a pregnant female?), I think it is only just that Team Peregrine meets its rightful fate by being slaughtered quickly. I am simply appalled at the level of vicious violence perpetrated by the Azurites in this strip, and this only proves it. Clearly, they need Miko to lead them toward the Light.

You make good points, but calling the Hobgoblins unarmed is something of a stretch. Yhey were doubtless going on a perfectly innocent scenic walking tour/picnic, but they were pretty much geared up to the teeth.

Ridureyu
2009-07-24, 04:53 PM
No, those were clearly toy swords, thus proving that the hobgoblins were only innocent children.

Porthos
2009-07-24, 04:53 PM

Don't forget that they slew the hobgoblins without letting them get ready to defend themselves or even surrender. This is dishonorable cold blooded murder of the worst sort.

Obviously Hinjo should Fall for allying with such terrorists. :smallamused:

Ridureyu
2009-07-24, 04:54 PM
Exactly. And O-Chul should fall as well for stealing Xykon's spells.

Zone
2009-07-24, 04:57 PM
You make good points, but calling the Hobgoblins unarmed is something of a stretch. Yhey were doubtless going on a perfectly innocent scenic walking tour/picnic, but they were pretty much geared up to the teeth.

Moron, those swords were obviously for their cheesecakes!

sam79
2009-07-24, 05:00 PM
Moron, those swords were obviously for their cheesecakes!

A yes, and those shield-looking things their picnic plates, no doubt?

How silly of me.

Jackson
2009-07-24, 05:02 PM
If a government knows it needs an infiltration team for a place and is just waiting on intelligence, would it make more sense for them to have the team already assembled to be sent immediately when the intel comes in, or wait on the intel to assemble the team? It isn't necessarily, but there's no real reason why the infiltration couldn't be happening concurrently with the war council.

Hinjo's comments make it clear that the Elven nations have been frustrated in their attempts to scry Azure City, so it seems that, however much they'd been dragging their feet, at this point in the narrative they were already prepared to attack. Since that indicates they're just waiting on intel, it makes sense that they'd already have the Peregrine team assembled and just waiting on information as to how to act. It's not as though real-world elite strike forces don't act in the exact same way, except without the negligible travel time; no reason to believe things would be slower in this world.

Now, to engage in a bit of meta-thinking: A story generally gains complications as it goes on, with more and more accruing until the climax and denouement makes things simple again. It's entirely reasonable to expect the next few books to be increasingly 'crowded' compared to those we've had so far. The one we're wrapping up now certainly was.

Harperfan7
2009-07-25, 02:31 AM
Does anybody else remember Xykon saying something about the elves finally moving against him, and ordering somebody to search for more of them when V gets her ass kicked? I imagine that because of V's actions, Xykon will be unusually prepared against elves in the city, and they will suffer and possibly die because they don't know that Xykon has defenses prepared against them.

We've been shown that the elves are cool and competent, it just seems likely to me that they'll get killed or captured or something, as it will have shock value and be unexpected.

Demiurge
2009-07-25, 03:26 AM
If something does take down Peregrine, it will be something equally cool and unexpected.

Roc Ness
2009-07-25, 04:10 AM
If something does take down Peregrine, it will be something equally cool and unexpected.

I expect that would be collateral damage from Xykon punishing some random hobgoblin. On the other hand, maybe Team Evil will take this chance to invade the Elven Homelands while their forces are away.

tcrudisi
2009-07-25, 04:16 AM
I hope they get some good development. It'd be nice for the Order to get more NPC allies other than the Azurites and Celia.

There ya go, fixed that for you.

Zanaril
2009-07-25, 04:39 AM
Does anybody else remember Xykon saying something about the elves finally moving against him, and ordering somebody to search for more of them when V gets her ass kicked? I imagine that because of V's actions, Xykon will be unusually prepared against elves in the city, and they will suffer and possibly die because they don't know that Xykon has defenses prepared against them.

We've been shown that the elves are cool and competent, it just seems likely to me that they'll get killed or captured or something, as it will have shock value and be unexpected.

He certainly has the motivation to Meteor Swarm annoying adrogynous elves now.

rewinn
2009-07-25, 03:03 PM
Xykon is not the city's business. You can be sure they'd rather just see him away so they could act unhindered.
But protecting EXISTENCE ITSELF from the Snarl is. Can you imagine the Paladins or the Elves going, "Eh, we got Azure City back, too bad the Snarl ate it along with everything else?"

Mind you, it seems likely that the Good Guys Plan is to liberate the City while the Order ambushes Xykon at the next gate ...

....ooops? there are TWO Next Gates. Plot point Alert!!!

OmegaDonut
2009-07-25, 03:11 PM
Mind you, it seems likely that the Good Guys Plan is to liberate the City while the Order ambushes Xykon at the next gate ...

....ooops? there are TWO Next Gates. Plot point Alert!!!

The Oracle already told Roy that Xykon will be within a 1000-ft radius of Girard's Gate first.

Thanatosia
2009-07-25, 04:30 PM
Whats the makeup of Team Peregrin?

Guessing the Dark Skined one is a ranger, but Fighters can Dual-wield too.

Green Robed one is almost certainly a Wizard, but maybe a sorc.

I'm thinking the Silver Hauberked one with a sword is a cleric - he casts sending so he's got a decent caster level and used the sword in combat to slay hobgobs. In normal D&D Mythos the Patron diety of the elves uses longsword as favored weapon, dunno how that translates to the OOTS 12 chinese-zodiac gods system (assuming the elven lands fall under the same North/South/West region as Sapphire City).

And the one with a bow is probably a Rogue like Haley, but a bow-build ranger or fighter might be an option.

Thrax
2009-07-25, 05:10 PM
The Oracle already told Roy that Xykon will be within a 1000-ft radius of Girard's Gate first.

We know how literal this oracle is. He might try to get to the other gate first, but then fail, without even nearing to 1000 ft. When OotS goes to stop him there, thinking Oracle made a mistake, he's already at Girard's Gate, opening it.
I'm not saying it WILL happen, but it's certainly possible.

multilis
2009-07-25, 05:12 PM
Linear Guild

Herald Alberich
2009-07-25, 05:40 PM
In normal D&D Mythos the Patron diety of the elves uses longsword as favored weapon, dunno how that translates to the OOTS 12 chinese-zodiac gods system (assuming the elven lands fall under the same North/South/West region as Sapphire City).

Actually, I'm almost certain the Elven Homelands are on the Western Continent, and therefore fall under those gods. I can't remember who said so, but the mileage indicated here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html) indicates that the homelands are much farther away than Azure City, where they were headed at that point.

edit: Oh yeah, the location of Familicide (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html), cast from the elven homelands, indicates that they're in the West.

Anyway, that was just FYI, others have said elves get free longsword proficiency no matter what class they are.

David Argall
2009-07-25, 06:30 PM
If a government knows it needs an infiltration team for a place and is just waiting on intelligence, would it make more sense for them to have the team already assembled to be sent immediately when the intel comes in, or wait on the intel to assemble the team? It isn't necessarily, but there's no real reason why the infiltration couldn't be happening concurrently with the war council.
There are very good reasons. In essence, our elf infiltration team was sneaking in blind, and suddenly somebody gives them a detailed map of the coast. Until that map is studied, nothing happens [that can't be scarped].
Our elves had no knowledge of Thant for example until Haley tells them. But that one fact massively changes their tactics inside the city. Since she adds in some known locations of resistance hideouts, again strategy takes a major turn. Suddenly they have friends to help them instead of a city where anybody might be a traitor.
O-Chul tells them of the missing phylactery. This opens up a major means of attack Xykon. If they can chase thru the sewers/dungeon/sea faster than his lackies, they may score a major coup. But it will risk being spotted, and thus calling down Xykon's power on them. Should they put an all-out effort to finding it?, a minor effort that has little chance of success, but won't expose the infiltration?, or just assume Xykon will find it first?
And these are just the gross facts. The details are apt to be even more important. These reports have got to be gone over in great detail, and all plans should be on hold until that is done.
The total delay may well not be long, but there is very definitely one.

Jackson
2009-07-25, 07:09 PM
Again, let's translate it to a real world analogue. Would a real-life Special Forces infiltration team sit on intel for an operation it's been waiting to enact for a while now, or have a variety of plans in reserve for various types of situations, and enact one of these when the intel came in?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better to wait and digest the new information.. I'm just saying that there's a distinct likelihood that things were set up to allow them to act immediately upon finding a way in. And since this war council happened over an hour after the elves were given the information, that may well have been the time they needed to feed Team Peregrine the necessary intel and get them moving.

It's not necessarily that way. But it's not necessarily the other way, either. And, for all we know at this point, it could be a plot point that they went in too quickly. We don't have the information necessary yet. Hence there is 'no reason' to assume that the infiltration is not happening concurrently.

rewinn
2009-07-25, 09:40 PM
In essence, our elf infiltration team was sneaking in blind, and suddenly somebody gives them a detailed map of the coast. .... These reports have got to be gone over in great detail, and all plans should be on hold until that is done.
Well, they're not actually blind. The Paladins (and therefore their Elven allies) know everything about the geography of their city except for details of what was destroyed in the battle and what's been built since. If it weren't for the Cloister, teleporting SOPs would be in and out of there on a daily basis (which makes Cloister brilliant both from a strategic and a writing perspective.)

The key bits of data, for the good guys:

The Cloister spell is why your teleports haven't been working
Hailey was able to sneak out of the city on foot; the countryside is patrolled but not heavily
There is a Resistance movement to contact, and it has havens where your SOP team can rest and teleport in reinforcements
The lich lost his phylactery.

That latter fact may be most important: it says there is a window of time during which the lich is VERY distracted. And THAT says it is time to move NOW, not tomorrow; a perfect plan that comes too late to use is inferior to a good-enough plan when we need it. Heck, what band of dungeon-crawlin' fools waits for a complete map before plunging in?

(Real-life Special Ops would be a lot easier with teleporting.)

Haven
2009-07-26, 05:22 PM
We know how literal this oracle is. He might try to get to the other gate first, but then fail, without even nearing to 1000 ft. When OotS goes to stop him there, thinking Oracle made a mistake, he's already at Girard's Gate, opening it.
I'm not saying it WILL happen, but it's certainly possible.

(emphasis mine)

There was no literal gift horse for Haley to decline to look in the mouth, so: Why do people keep saying this?

And I'm still holding out hope for fantasy re-enactment of Burn Notice.

TheBibliophile
2009-07-29, 06:07 AM
Interesting trivia:

It's also my favourite animal. Which of course is why Rich chose it. :smallwink:

Samuraiko
2009-07-29, 06:19 AM
I couldn't help it... when I read this strip, I was hearing and seeing that scene from TWO TOWERS where the elves are arriving at Helm's Deep. I sense awesomeness on the way.

And I also enjoyed the peregrine reference... beautiful birds but deadly.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko

Kareasint
2009-07-29, 06:29 AM
The Resistance is about to be resupplied. None of their Clerics can cast third level spells but a caster with at least 4th level spells is entering the city.

It would be better for the team to enter and lay low while coordinating additional infiltrations or summoning. Once the force is in place, they wait for the Lich to move out.

Tyrmatt
2009-07-29, 08:29 AM
The Resistance is about to be resupplied. None of their Clerics can cast third level spells but a caster with at least 4th level spells is entering the city.

It would be better for the team to enter and lay low while coordinating additional infiltrations or summoning. Once the force is in place, they wait for the Lich to move out.

This is a good point actually. A Resistance living on scraps and scavenged goods is one thing. A Resistance supplied with powerful healing, food and water, summonable allies, an at least 9th level wizard (and more likely 13th basing this on the service charge V appends for his "roaming", not to mention the precision insertion into a not very well traveled pass into a city thousands of miles from the Elves), an elven ranger or two (probably) who are highly skilled at stealth (they wouldn't have been chosen for the mission if they weren't) and a cleric who is capable of turning Tsukiko's wights?

This is the kind of thing that would probably force at least Redcloak to take to the streets to take them on. Which Xykon wouldn't let him do. And of course, Team Peregrine aren't going to openly wage war either. They'll hit and run and reduce the goblins to shambles before bringing in the might of the Elven Army to retake the city. And Xykon, Redcloak and Tsukiko will be half a world away at this point. Sayonara Goblin Town.

Let's bring on the awesome.