PDA

View Full Version : Elan's good point about his Happy Ending

Alex Warlorn
2009-07-24, 04:15 PM
Elan makes a good point about his happy ending even if he doesn't realize it: How can he have a happy ending if Haley isn't there to share it with?

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:21 PM
I think this is probably right; we can be pretty sure that both Haley and Elan are going to make it, in the long run. The rest of the Order, though...not so much.

Moriato
2009-07-24, 04:24 PM
Any number of ways. Off the top of my head; Elan loses Haley somehow, but recovers and finds someone else to love, or Haley dies but Elan knows somehow that she's happy in the afterlife or Elan dies but he's happy in the afterlife because Haley is pregnant so she carries a peice of him or whatever. Infinite number of ways, really.

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:31 PM
Any number of ways. Off the top of my head; Elan loses Haley somehow, but recovers and finds someone else to love, or Haley dies but Elan knows somehow that she's happy in the afterlife or Elan dies but he's happy in the afterlife because Haley is pregnant so she carries a peice of him or whatever. Infinite number of ways, really.

All true, and all possible; but none of them have as much powerful narrative closure as the traditional 'and they lived happily ever after'. I think that is what Elan meant by his question, and what is guaranteed for him at least by the answer.

Acero
2009-07-24, 04:39 PM
i believe elans happy ending will b dieing by his friends (or just Haley)

sam79
2009-07-24, 04:46 PM
Could be, but personally I see Roy as a more likely candidate for the Heroic Sacrifice ending.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-24, 04:48 PM
How can he have a happy ending if Haley isn't there to share it with?
Er...you mean Elan hasn't been getting happy endings while he seperated from Haley? Wow, I don't know how he resisted the advances of that green skinned girl.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-24, 04:52 PM
Er...you mean Elan hasn't been getting happy endings while he seperated from Haley? Wow, I don't know how he resisted the advances of that green skinned girl.

I don't think they can have that kind of happy endings in the story, Hamster.

Animefunkmaster
2009-07-24, 05:00 PM

Well, Elan isn't a samurai, or a paladin. I don't think he would be very happy about this ending.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-24, 05:02 PM
I don't think they can have that kind of happy endings in the story, Hamster.

Some have had 4 happy endings in 3 hours!

Jackson
2009-07-24, 05:08 PM
That sounds more like Durkon's style of happy ending. Elan's is probably more of a traditional narrative closure sort of thing, wherein he fixes his character flaws and matures, defeats the bad guy, gets the girl, and they live happily ever after. I wonder where you got this, though; there hasn't been much of anything to indicate the Elan won't survive. And that would be a bastardly twist on the meaning of 'happy' by the Oracle.

Though I'm not sure if I'd assume that Elan's happy ending means anybody else will have one. Or else it means that Roy, his best friend and surrogate big brother, is also ultimately deathproof; maybe Durkon as well (which directly contradicts the most widely held interpretation of his prophecies). V and Belkar can both probably die without ruining his happy ending, though.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-24, 06:39 PM
Some have had 4 happy endings in 3 hours!

Yes, but that was outside the story. Have you seen it depicted? Would you like to see it depicted?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-24, 06:56 PM
Yes, but that was outside the story. Have you seen it depicted? Would you like to see it depicted?

I don't know but then some would like to see a picture of a Haley taking a bath (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0580.html).

Galileo
2009-07-24, 08:22 PM
I always figured Elan's idea of a true happy ending is one where he and Haley get married, all the Order survives, and Roy becomes his surrogate big brother and goes bowling with him. I mean, he'd probably settle for less, but that's his ideal ending.

Ted The Bug
2009-07-24, 10:39 PM
I think this is probably right; we can be pretty sure that both Haley and Elan are going to make it, in the long run. The rest of the Order, though...not so much.

Roy. If he's gonna die once, he probably won't die again.
Belkar is a sure thing, V might be less likely now that hir sanity is back, and Durkon is a wildcard, it depends what happens at the next gate, and whether the OotS goes to the dwarven lands or not.