PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Levels and Powers for the Seven Deadly Sins

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-24, 08:27 PM
You can find the basic gist of what's going on right here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117793

Here's what I've made the final decisions on. The Deadly Seven are in order from how I'm gonna have them in power level. From greatest to least...:

Lord Vicro: Solo Level 20 Controller

Pride: Elite Soldier
Wrath: Elite Skirmisher
Sloth: Elite Controller
Lust: Elite Controller
Greed: Elite Lurker(Same Level as Envy)
Envy: Elite Artillery(Same Level as Greed)
Gluttony: Elite Brute

I want these guys to be pretty much adjacent in level. I have some ideas for powers and fluff, but any other thoughts would be really appreciated. They should be able to give the party a challenge up till end of paragon, especially the top 4.

Thanks.

cupkeyk
2009-07-25, 12:39 AM
I am not entirely sure i understand the mechanics, but there is a build for a half elf dhampyr bard mc warlock going into entrancing mystic. at level 15 she has dominating gaze with a -6 save penalty (-7 at level 17, -8 at level 27 thanks to a phrenic crown) at level 19 she gets passionate betrayal (with similar penalties) at level 29 there is spellbind.

necesary feats: vampiric bloodline, dominating gaze, pact initiate and adept power.

i see her as Lust

bards have lots and lots of charm effects other than dominate. two at wills that strike me as lust-y would be cutting words (come hither) and redirected mark (not me)

Limos
2009-07-25, 01:13 AM
I think he's talking Monsters, not PC builds.

Sir Homeslice
2009-07-25, 01:14 AM
Envy abilities are sort of easy.

There should be an encounter ability that allows Envy to take a standard action as a free action when a PC uses an action point.

Recharge 4,5,6 (or if you feel like it an at-will) free action that allows him to make an RBA triggered off of the PCs granting another PC an attack.

Recharge 6 immediate reaction that allows her to "steal" a buff from the PCs.

Greed should be able to get the same things as Envy has, triggered off of Envy actually taking them.

And I'm out of ideas, havne't slept in two days.

cupkeyk
2009-07-25, 02:01 AM
I think he's talking Monsters, not PC builds.

and?... you can slap on the bard template to the succubus and you now have an elite succubus.

that succubi are level 7, i assumed he wanted to have templates on them.

Kol Korran
2009-07-25, 06:01 PM
ok, some some thoughts, totally in random. i didn't work out the math- i'll let you do that:

General "infest with essence" power: shared by all the sins. if they ever do a crit, they maek a secondery attack vs. will. if they hit, the target gets infected with some of their essence. this count as a magical disease with a fairly high DC to beat, that is battled with insight instead of indurence.
you can maek a full table for the escalating "disease" if you wish, but here are samples of "initial effects". these should really, really be rolepalyed appropriatly, so i hope you have mature players. also, do note that this means the antagonist fights and either scare the PCs away (with one inflicted), or the PCs drive them off. other of the sins can use their knowledge of the inflictions to their benefit of course.

Pride: in every competitive situation (such as combat or a skill challange) the character must make an insight check against some DC (lower than the disease DC) or be forced to move and combat the toughest threat, or undertake the toughest DC skill check. also, if the character ran from any battle today, it loses one daily for the next day (lowest? highest? you decide)
Lust: when ever a character of equel or higher charisma is present, the character must roll against the DC or be distracted by him/her (i suggest you make the attraction for both sexes). this grants a -2/-3 to all checks. also- the character must have intercourse once a day at least, or it loses a daily power for the next day
Greed: whenever loot is distributed, and if the character didn't get the most valuable share (by at least 1.25 of the rest of the shares), then the character needs to roll, or else it is distracted until the next loot share (as mentioned above). also- if at the end of the day it is not considerably richer than the day before (i suggest a 20% wealth increase as a measure), then it loses 1 daily for the next day.
Envy: pick a fellow character, or a major NPC alkly, or a major antagonist. then pick one thing "that's going for them" (their looks, companions, fame, health, items, and so). the character must roll against the DC, if not she is distracted, for as long as s/he doesn't have it, and the other person does. she can aleviate this condition either by improving her condition in that aspect, or subotaging the other's life. the roll is done each day, but it's only to suppress the envy, not dispell it. every 1d4 days, a new envy adds to the list, another source of distraction, that adds another -1 to the increasing negative modifier. this could be awesome to play i think.
Gluttony: this one i think is fairly simple. every battle/ major encounter the character rolls against the DC. if it fails it is distracted until sated with food (eating it may take 2- more rounds). also- if the character hasn't consumed enough food in a day (i say 3-4 times the normal amount), then it loses i daily power the next day.
Sloth: ine every battle, skill challange it rolls agianst a DC, or it decides to do nothing but defend itself. (i suggest that in battles you let the player roll saves to at least enable him to do SOMETHING, otherwise you got a realy bored player). also- if the character hasn't done nothing for several hours each day, it gets depressed and lose 1 daily for the next day
Wrath: when the character or it's first ally is bloodied in combat, then the character rolls against the DC. if it fails, then it uses it's strongest attacks without concern for resource management (dailys, item dailys, action points, encounters and so on). also- if the character hasn't killed personally at least 2 regular monster (or an elite or a solo), it loses a daily for next day

Sloth- "aura of sloth:" aura 2? 3? 5? 10? in that aura, whenever an opponenet (or perhaps even an ally?) turn comes up, they need to roll a saving throw. if they fail, they do nothing but defend themselves, mumblign and moaning about how everything is meaningless...

Wrath- "Strength from my enemies weakness": Wrath gains power every time he hits a foe- s/he heals (perhaps a fixed amount, or some ratio such as 3 to 1) and they might also gain some other offensive advantage, such as reach, more damage, ability to pierce through defenses, or perhaps to attack NAD directly... i realy imagine Wrath on the lines of the Avenger class, maybe you should check it for inspiration.

Pride- "and you shall see me in my glory and cry!" Pride you be a leader, but it think also a defender, refluffed- he challanges people, but not to defend his allies, but just because he is sure he is invincible. he then punishes their "lack of pride/ honor/courage/ whatever" if they go for other
opponents. i suggest to enable him to mark several opponenets at once (as a pridefull one might do), but also give him the skills, attacks and defenses to face 2-3 opponenets. i keep imagining him as a refluffed paladin. might be worth a look.

Gluttony- i'll go with my suggestion on the other thread- make this guy look like a huge bloated version of a small or medium creature (think Jaba the Hut, that was once just a hungry goblin) who can swallow whole, and maybe has a realy long tounge that can grab from afar and drag the foe to it's jaws. also- looots of hitpoint, and perhaps resitances.

Greed-my ideas for her is to make her either a wild or shadow fey (from the corresponding planes, their names elude me). she'll be nearly invisible, and teleporting, and thus easely stealing from unaware members. she might be in some battles and barely noticed. she doesn't aim to kill, but to steal.
another thought- make her a shape shifter, most notably a doppleganger. works quite well as well. this might go exceptionally well with evny.

that's all i got for now, a bit tired, maybe i'll continue another time, maybe not. hope this helps.
Kol.

DragonBaneDM
2009-07-25, 08:20 PM
Kol, I love you right now. That was insanely helpful.

And yeah, I'm making them Monsters. Not PCs. Oh, and I'm reading a book by Isaac Asimov right now that's dedicated to the Sins. It's quite enlightening.

Also, here's my ideas for what the actually "are".

Pride's a fallen archangel. He doesn't ever reveal which god he used to work for, since he loathes the idea that he used to be a servant.
Lust is a succubus, but not your standard Level 7 one.
Wrath is probably the only demon of the group. He's most likely going to be a unique breed, too. Nothing really seems to match in my mind for me.
Sloth is another devil, even though he looks like a dretch, that's just for show. Either that or some sort of primordial entity... Nothing really fits well.
Greed and Envy are both humanoid assassins. Drow perhaps? I see these two as easily portrayed by something mortal.
Gluttony's totally a devil. Once again unique.

I like unique fiends. They're interesting and allow creativity on the DMs part.