PDA

View Full Version : How do I trick my computer into thinking it's a 98?

RationalGoblin
2009-07-24, 09:59 PM
So, I've been wanting to play Thief: The Dark Project. Well, more accurately, Thief: The Dark Project Gold Edition. (Which, incidentally, you should play.) :smallwink:

When I try to install it, I get an error. Apparently, as a 95/98 game, it's DirectX requirements are too WEAK for a Windows NT, and as such, an NT cannot handle that primitive of a game.

Here's the funny part. I don't have a Windows NT. I have an XP. I asked the computer whiz of my family, and he said that since XP wasn't around when Thief was created, the game thinks that I have an NT.

Next, he told me that the only way to play the game would be to trick the game into thinking that I have a '98.

Now, I've heard of emulators and dual-booting for Linux that allow you to use a different-ish operating system. But I don't know any programs do do so with an XP, or how to find or use them.

Thus, I'm asking any computer expert Playgrounders: How do I trick my computer into thinking it's a '98? And where do I find any program that does this?

FdL
2009-07-24, 10:05 PM
Properties for the shortcut, there should be a drop down list to select the compatibility mode.

RationalGoblin
2009-07-24, 10:20 PM
Properties for the shortcut, there should be a drop down list to select the compatibility mode.

I'm afraid I don't understand. Do I simply right-click on my desktop and select properties?

Because when I do that, there is no drop down list to select compatibility mode.

Please clarify.

Recaiden
2009-07-24, 10:22 PM
The icon for your program. Right click on it to get to that properties box.

RationalGoblin
2009-07-24, 10:29 PM
The icon for your program. Right click on it to get to that properties box.

I do not have Thief Gold installed, so the only icon for it is in my F CD Drive. And when I open the Properties for that icon, it only has 5 boxes: General, Autoplay, Hardware, Sharing, and Recording. I assume none of these are the correct boxes?

Mando Knight
2009-07-24, 10:29 PM
Here's the funny part. I don't have a Windows NT. I have an XP. I asked the computer whiz of my family, and he said that since XP wasn't around when Thief was created, the game thinks that I have an NT.In a way, the game is right. Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are all based off of the Windows NT structure.

Unfortunately, I don't think XP has the "run in compatibility mode" feature that Vista does. Or "Run as Admin" ...so I can't help you there. It's been 2 years since I've used an XP computer for more than just browsing the internet and running university programs.

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 10:35 PM
Hmm. Tricky. The most I've heard about emulators for is DosBox which allows really old games to be played on modern systems.

endoperez
2009-07-25, 12:29 AM
http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=291

The following command should force the installation of either Thief: TDP or Thief Gold when attempting to play under Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Under Start>Run instead of "D:\setup.exe" to install type "D:\setup.exe -lgntforce". Don't include the quotes. Be sure to include the SPACE. Make certain to input the command correctly: there is a space after the ".exe" and a dash or minus sign in front of the rest of the command.

So, thats: "D:\setup.exe -lgntforce". That's "-lgntforce" with an L like Larry not an I like Irving. Substitute your CD-Drive letter designation for D:\ if your CD-Drive is mapped to a different letter. This will force Installshield to install the game under Windows 2000 or XP. Then hit OK or Enter.

Please note that WE DO NOT SUPPORT playing the game under Windows 2000 or Windows XP. There are problems that you will have playing Thief: The Dark Project or Thief Gold under Windows 2000/XP that would not occur when playing under Windows 9x/ME.

Problems may arise depending on your hardware configuration and the DirectX compliance of your video and sound card drivers. Our only suggestions if you encounter problems playing Thief: The Dark Project or Thief Gold under Windows 2000 or Windows XP are to ensure you have the latest available drivers installed for your hardware and to contact Microsoft for the latest Service Packs and Critical Updates for your version of Windows.

For further problems, see
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

Movies not playing, game running too fast, game complaining you don't have enough space, etc.

FdL
2009-07-25, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think XP has the "run in compatibility mode" feature that Vista does. Or "Run as Admin" ...so I can't help you there.

No, XP has it, it's right there.

tyckspoon
2009-07-25, 12:33 AM
No, XP has it, it's right there.

Although it hasn't actually done anything recognizable any time I've attempted to use it; Vista/7's apparently does work on some games, which sounds like an improvement.

RationalGoblin
2009-07-25, 10:30 AM
Thief Gold is now installed.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, but especially thanks to endoperez, whose instructions allowed me to install the game with minimum fuss.

It says something about this forum that I'm willing to take it's advice BEFORE asking a forum of trained computer professionals. :smalltongue:

Fostire
2009-07-25, 10:42 AM
Although it hasn't actually done anything recognizable any time I've attempted to use it; Vista/7's apparently does work on some games, which sounds like an improvement.

It worked for me when I wanted to play Curse of Monkey Island

RationalGoblin
2009-07-25, 02:30 PM
Okay, so the installation works, and getting on the game works, but the in-game movies cause my game to freeze.

When I checked, it said something about updating the 3d vector acceleration drivers or a message similar.

Do I search for an update for my drivers?

Lupy
2009-07-25, 02:41 PM
Okay, so the installation works, and getting on the game works, but the in-game movies cause my game to freeze.

When I checked, it said something about updating the 3d vector acceleration drivers or a message similar.

Do I search for an update for my drivers?

You'd probably really need a downgrade.

Try virtual box (http://www.virtualbox.org/), it's a virtual desktop that might work.

zillion ninjas
2009-07-25, 04:12 PM
I suggest that you try Wine (http://www.winehq.org/). Most people think of it as a way to run Windows apps on Linux (and it does that well), but you can also use it to not-exactly-emulate one version of Windows from within a different version (e.g. run a 98 game on XP).

The Wine App Database shows some good test results for Thief: The Dark Project (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4205) on Wine v1.1.24. Good luck.

RationalGoblin
2009-07-25, 04:38 PM
I suggest that you try Wine (http://www.winehq.org/). Most people think of it as a way to run Windows apps on Linux (and it does that well), but you can also use it to not-exactly-emulate one version of Windows from within a different version (e.g. run a 98 game on XP).

The Wine App Database shows some good test results for Thief: The Dark Project (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4205) on Wine v1.1.24. Good luck.

Hmm.. I've had trouble with exactly that program in the past, so is there any other trick I can try to make Thief work?

Bouregard
2009-07-25, 06:09 PM
So, I've been wanting to play Thief: The Dark Project. Well, more accurately, Thief: The Dark Project Gold Edition. (Which, incidentally, you should play.) :smallwink:

When I try to install it, I get an error. Apparently, as a 95/98 game, it's DirectX requirements are too WEAK for a Windows NT, and as such, an NT cannot handle that primitive of a game.

Here's the funny part. I don't have a Windows NT. I have an XP. I asked the computer whiz of my family, and he said that since XP wasn't around when Thief was created, the game thinks that I have an NT.

Next, he told me that the only way to play the game would be to trick the game into thinking that I have a '98.

Now, I've heard of emulators and dual-booting for Linux that allow you to use a different-ish operating system. But I don't know any programs do do so with an XP, or how to find or use them.

Thus, I'm asking any computer expert Playgrounders: How do I trick my computer into thinking it's a '98? And where do I find any program that does this?

You will need the darkloader and a directx fix as far as I know.

Edit: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#install explains how.

Tried with Vista64. Works fine for me.

Yarram
2009-07-26, 02:19 AM
In a way, the game is right. Windows XP, Vista, and 7 are all based off of the Windows NT structure.

Unfortunately, I don't think XP has the "run in compatibility mode" feature that Vista does. Or "Run as Admin" ...so I can't help you there. It's been 2 years since I've used an XP computer for more than just browsing the internet and running university programs.

No, on XP you have to do it with the executable file.
Just right click on the executable file and their should be run options.

Your game will probably still not work though, as both the Vista and XP versions of "run file on older computer system" are buggy. I suggest googling "Dos Box" to try and run the game.

Prowl
2009-07-26, 07:17 AM
The way I make my computer into a Win98 machine is to swap in a decade-old hard drive that has Win98 installed on it. Voila, instant Win98 machine, just need to swap a few connectors and it's done.

Vizen
2009-07-26, 10:28 AM
Thief! I was just thinking earlier on today that since I've practically finished Thief 2 I should give Deadly Shadows a try (We don't have Dark Project unfortunately. :smallfrown:)

Though since we're on the subject of Thief-related problems...When you play Thief 2 there are cutscenes between the levels..However, for some reason my PC wont play them, and skips straight to the level (which I suppose is good when you dont want to hear the plot, but, I kinda like plot. >.>)...Anyone got any ideas there? (Sorry, I sort of skimmed over some of the other posts there)

mangosta71
2009-07-28, 12:42 PM
Youtube? :smalltongue:

jamroar
2009-07-28, 01:23 PM
Thief! I was just thinking earlier on today that since I've practically finished Thief 2 I should give Deadly Shadows a try (We don't have Dark Project unfortunately. :smallfrown:)

Though since we're on the subject of Thief-related problems...When you play Thief 2 there are cutscenes between the levels..However, for some reason my PC wont play them, and skips straight to the level (which I suppose is good when you dont want to hear the plot, but, I kinda like plot. >.>)...Anyone got any ideas there? (Sorry, I sort of skimmed over some of the other posts there)

Have you tried installing XP versions of the Indeo codecs used for the videos?

Vizen
2009-07-28, 11:50 PM
...You'll have to dumb that down for me. Me no is smartly good at computer. xD

jamroar
2009-07-29, 06:39 AM
...You'll have to dumb that down for me. Me no is smartly good at computer. xD

Does this (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#movies2) work?

almightyk
2009-07-29, 06:54 AM
just for future reference look up a program called "bochs" it either runs win95 or 98 cant remember which
but it is basically a program running the OS's software and is sorta an OS in a window