PDA

View Full Version : Laptop disc drive too loud

Icewalker
2009-07-24, 11:02 PM
I'm having some troubles with the disc drive on my laptop. When I put a disc in with a movie, it whirs loudly to start up. Now, this wouldn't be a problem. It would be a problem if it kept whirring and didn't stop during the movie or whatnot, but no, it is in fact even worse: every several seconds you can hear it (also loudly) spin down, then start up again and whir for about 5 seconds before stopping. It just keeps going. Basically means I can't watch anything on my laptop. Which is a bit of an issue.

xPANCAKEx
2009-07-24, 11:04 PM
until the issue is resolved, i'd suggest using isolator headphones

or getting decent speakers loud enough to drown it out. most laptops built-in speaker is weak as [insert very weak thing here]

Icewalker
2009-07-24, 11:06 PM
Yeh, there are ways to avoid it like that, but I'd very much prefer to find a way to make it stop. Can't really use headphones to watch something with friends.

Vmag
2009-07-24, 11:10 PM
You still use discs? As in compact discs? Man, I've switched over to floppies, and there is no turning back for me. Absolutely silent, retro-futuristic design, it's like having your own personal computer Inside your computer.

BlueWizard
2009-07-25, 02:33 AM
How old is your computer?
That question is for Vmag and Icewalker.

Icewalker
2009-07-25, 03:12 AM
Very, very recent. Well under a year old. Quite high quality. PC, lenovo.

BlueWizard
2009-07-25, 03:19 AM
Hmmm... Not sure what to say.

quick_comment
2009-07-25, 07:39 AM
You could always rip the movies to your hard drive and then watch them. It's a lot of bother just for watching a movie, but it should certainly eliminate your noise problems, and also give you a handy backup in case your disk gets scratched. (If your disks have "copy protection", you may want to look into the legality of breaking such for personal use in your jurisdiction before doing this.)

raitalin
2009-07-25, 08:37 AM
In some laptops, the disk drive is one thing that can be "easily" replaced, as in its possible to do with a tiny screwdriver and lots of care. If you can't order a drive directly from the company you may be able to find a broken one of your model on ebay for cheap and switch out the drives.

I once had a problem with the drive on my old compaq that I fixed by simply taking it apart and putting it back together.

Fostire
2009-07-25, 10:35 AM
I had the exact same problem with my pc. Unfortunately, the noise stopped when my drive stopped working :smallfrown:

Eldan
2009-07-25, 10:42 AM
Very, very recent. Well under a year old. Quite high quality. PC, lenovo.

If it's a Lenovo and under a year old, I recommend calling the help line. At least my Lenovo Laptop came with two years of waranty and they already replaced my cooling system twice, no charge, both times in under a week. Also, their store network is quite dense, they have several repair locations here in switzerland.

Bouregard
2009-07-25, 06:30 PM
Did you try different CD/DVD's sometimes its just a low quality DVD .... but if its a general problem try new drivers or techsupport.

KuReshtin
2009-07-26, 01:33 PM
'Disc drive'?? Floppy disc drive? Optical Disc Drive (CD or DVD player)? Hard Disc Drive?

If it's a Lenovo 3000 laptop, there is no way it can be a floppy disc drive as they don't come with FDDs.
I know this cause I work at the Lenovo/IBM laptop support for a living.
From your description, it sounds as if it's the CD/DVD player that's giving you hassle, and if so, give your local Lenovo support a phone to have it replaced.
Replacing the CD/DVD player on a Lenovo laptop is dead easy (one screw on the bottom of the machine and it will pop right out).
Usually, you'll have a replacement part delivered to you within a day or two.