PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is Falling! (Mystic Theurge-related)

Mongoose87
2009-07-25, 01:06 AM
Ok, so, out of curiosity, I was looking up Epic progressions on the SRD. I came across the Mystic Theurge. I read it. I continued on. I spat out my drink and read the Mystic Theurge again.

The Mystic Theurge continues to gain spells per day in Epic levels!?

Is this true? Is this not as overpowered, for Epic builds, as it sounds?

quick_comment
2009-07-25, 01:13 AM
They gain spells per day up to the normal about for a full caster. After that, they need increased spell capacity.

Take note that they only get +1 to one class at each level

Mongoose87
2009-07-25, 01:18 AM
They gain spells per day up to the normal about for a full caster. After that, they need increased spell capacity.

Take note that they only get +1 to one class at each level
I noticed that. Doesn't this allow for some nice three-way stuff? I mean ,theoretically, couldn't one eventually have full spellcasting as a wizard and cleric, and also do 6th level artificer infusions?

quick_comment
2009-07-25, 01:32 AM
I noticed that. Doesn't this allow for some nice three-way stuff? I mean ,theoretically, couldn't one eventually have full spellcasting as a wizard and cleric, and also do 6th level artificer infusions?

Eventually, yeah. But the minimum level for that would be Wizard 10/MT10/Cleric 10/Artificer 6, for a minimum level of 36.

PId6
2009-07-25, 01:47 AM
The mystic theurge has one of the stupidest epic progressions I've ever seen (and that's saying a lot). A bonus feat every 6 levels, AND you alternate spellcasting progression? WHY would you not just start alternating your original two classes instead? You'd at least end up getting the class features of the two classes (wizard bonus feats, etc), and if you manage to bring one of them to level 20, you'll end up with a much faster epic feat progression (wizard and cleric both have a feat every 3 levels).

So no, the epic mystic theurge is not overpowered; it's the complete opposite, in fact.

Mongoose87
2009-07-25, 02:10 AM
The mystic theurge has one of the stupidest epic progressions I've ever seen (and that's saying a lot). A bonus feat every 6 levels, AND you alternate spellcasting progression? WHY would you not just start alternating your original two classes instead? You'd at least end up getting the class features of the two classes (wizard bonus feats, etc), and if you manage to bring one of them to level 20, you'll end up with a much faster epic feat progression (wizard and cleric both have a feat every 3 levels).

So no, the epic mystic theurge is not overpowered; it's the complete opposite, in fact.

But, at those levels, you wouldn't be gaining spells per day.

PId6
2009-07-25, 02:26 AM
But, at those levels, you wouldn't be gaining spells per day.
No, you don't get extra spells per day if you've reached 20th level spellcasting. So a Wizard5/Cleric 5/Mystic Theurge 10 can still advance both wizard and cleric 5 more levels each to reach the 20th spellcasting mark.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-25, 02:34 AM
It is less craptactular, rather than awesometastical.

Take, for example, the build Wiz5/Cleric5/Mystic Theurge 15

At level 22, he gains 9th level spells, and can begin the process of casting Epic spells and higher level spell slots. Two levels later than a regular caster.

At level 25, he caps out both casting progressions, and can no longer advance in spellcasting progresison, and needs to find a class which will actually be of use to him. Fighter, perhaps.

BlueWizard
2009-07-25, 04:00 AM
Sounds like a DM's nightmare.

Eloel
2009-07-25, 04:26 AM
It is less craptactular, rather than awesometastical.

Take, for example, the build Wiz5/Cleric5/Mystic Theurge 15

At level 2223, he gains 9th level spells, and can begin the process of casting Epic spells and higher level spell slots. Two levels later than a regular caster.

At level 2530, he caps out both casting progressions, and can no longer advance in spellcasting progresison, and needs to find a class which will actually be of use to him. Fighter, perhaps.
You alternate after 10th MT, not get both.

Lord Loss
2009-07-25, 05:52 AM
so... after level 30 you start going druid... Hehehehe

Gaiyamato
2009-07-25, 05:56 AM
A Druid/Wizard/AH/MT build works out a bit better I personally think.

Salt_Crow
2009-07-25, 06:01 AM
You could also go Cleric 3/Wizard 3/True Necromancer 14/Mystic Theurge 10 or something.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-25, 06:17 AM
You could also go Cleric 3/Wizard 3/True Necromancer 14/Mystic Theurge 10 or something.

Oh god no, never more than the first 5 levels of TN.

You could go:
Druid 3/Dread Necromancer 4/Arcane Hierophant 3/Contemplative 1(Death Domain)/True Necromancer 5/Arcane Hierophant +4
Then in epic: Arcane Hierophant +3/Mystic Theurge ++

You could speed it up a litting using some feat tricks to keep the dread witch levels down a lot lower. So start with Dread Necromancer at level 1, take versatile spell caster, then at level 3 take Alternate Source Spell feat. So you would become :

Dread Necromancer 1/Druid 3/Arcane Hierophant 6/Contemplative 1(Death Domain)/True Necromancer 5/Arcane Hierophant +4

Then for epic levels:
Mystic Theurge ++

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-25, 05:28 PM
You alternate after 10th MT, not get both.

Then there is no point in MT levels in epic because you can simply alternate useful classes instead...

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 05:36 PM
As many people do lament.

quick_comment
2009-07-25, 07:04 PM
You could also just use MT on druid/wizard and the take arcane heirophant.