PDA

View Full Version : I'm the best man

thubby
2009-07-25, 01:25 AM
...in my brother's wedding.
it's tomorrow, I'm giving the toast at the reception :smalleek:, and i can't sleep.

wish me luck, share your wedding stories, or some way to prevent this impending heart attack I've got going :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2009-07-25, 01:28 AM
Make sure you demand the maid of honor's phone number in your toast.

Elfin
2009-07-25, 01:31 AM
Good luck. :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2009-07-25, 01:44 AM
When one of my friends got married a couple of years ago, his brother was his best man, and he made a GREAT toast. The whole thing: "May all your ups and downs... be between the sheets." :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2009-07-25, 01:46 AM
Well. . .the best thing I can say about weddings is their receptions introduced me to rollmops, which I found I liked to my surprise.

BlueWizard
2009-07-25, 02:24 AM
The Key:

Have fun. Don't get awkward. The guests came to have a good time, maybe hear a funny story of your brother in your youth. But, don't talk about the ho he dated some time ago... keep it up-beat, and maybe tell a tale that will make only him squirm. :smallamused:

Swordguy
2009-07-25, 02:27 AM
My brother's a Star Trek geek. My toast finished with "tonight, may you boldly go where no man has gone before."

Think about it. :smallbiggrin:

(Fortunately, the old people there didn't get it.)

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-25, 02:30 AM
"Though I am to make a speech of some kind at this moment, I will simply make it a short toast. To our beloved wives...our passionate lovers...may they never meet." :smallwink:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-25, 02:33 AM
"Though I am to make a speech of some kind at this moment, I will simply make it a short toast. To our beloved wives...our passionate lovers...may they never meet." :smallwink:

The Chaotic Lawful guy speaks wise words of wisdom.

Zherog
2009-07-25, 01:21 PM
Last November, my brother got married and I was the best man. He and his wife were engaged for about two years, and shortly after they got engaged I had a dream of me giving the toast at the wedding. I never remember my dreams, but I clearly remembered this one and used the toast.

Before I give the toast, I have a few words of big brotherly advice. First, Michael, you need to always remember two words. "Yes dear." Don't say I didn't warn you.

For both of you, today is probably a blur. You'll both have special moments you remember from today, but I want you both to remember three words from your vows, even if you don't remember anything else: Love, Honor, Cherish. You both made a solemn promise to one another to always Love, Honor, and Cherish each other. After being married for 14 years, I'm here to tell you both that those three words are the key. If you always Love, Honor, and Cherish each other in everything you do, all the other little details sort themselves out. Love, Honor, Cherish.

And now, speaking of your wedding vows... May you have more Health than Sickness, More Wealth than Poor, and, absolutely, many, many more Happy times than Bad. Cheers!

Vmag
2009-07-25, 01:24 PM
Remember: As the best man, your job is to get as plastered as possible and try to ruin the groom's night by reminding him about that time you took a trip down to Mexico and picked up a couple of... well, I guess they were prostitutes, but you don't remember paying, do you?

This will set things up for the wedding singer to save the evening by making a much sweeter speech, and setting up for the next number.

It's kind of like using an object's gravity as a slingshot.

Player_Zero
2009-07-25, 01:29 PM
No *I'm* the best man!

Perenelle
2009-07-25, 01:37 PM
good luck to you! You should do fine, If you act comfortable when giving the toast and it'll keep it from being awkward. from experience I've had with speeches, you dont want to just stand there, walk around a little and get people's attention. otherwise it'll seem kind of boring.. smile a lot!! it helps!! :smallbiggrin:
again, good luck! :smallsmile:

Egiam
2009-07-25, 02:33 PM
Speak clearly and speak up. I mean it. over-enunciate.

raitalin
2009-07-25, 02:43 PM
I was the best man at my step-brother's wedding and I got redonkulously drunk the night before. Seriously, one of my top 3 hangovers during the wedding, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to remain standing the whole time. The speech was tough too, though Playboy's tips got me through with flying colors (Thank the parents! Especially the brides parents! No off-color jokes, this is the grooms chance to make a first impression on a new family, and part of that judgment will be the company he keeps). I started getting choked up near the end, mostly just because I was so wiped out, but it actually made the speech even better.

Felixaar
2009-07-25, 09:13 PM
Just be glad you're just the best man, and not the bride :smallwink:

Tar Palantir
2009-07-25, 09:27 PM
Just be glad you're just the best man, and not the bride :smallwink:

Stole mine. KEEP OUT OF MY BRAIN!

thubby
2009-07-26, 12:14 AM
just got in, and i'm exhausted.

the speech went great, the party even better.

for those interested:
"I'm supposed to give a toast, but there is not much I can say... You two have found something poets have spent lifetimes trying to put to words.
You have a beautiful daughter, loving family, and each other.
I don't think I can add much to that. I only hope that everyone will join me in wishing you the best of luck."

*collapses unconscious on keyboard*