PDA

View Full Version : Practical Demonkeeping (A Summoner's Guide to the Lower Planes)

Gnorman
2009-07-25, 05:36 AM
Practical Demonkeeping
or,
A Summoner’s Guide to the Lower Planes

EDIT: I ran up against the word count limit in the post. I'll still be adding sections here, but they'll be farther down the thread.

For an organized handbook, check my other thread here. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1224014)

Let’s face it. Everybody likes summoning fiends. Okay, not EVERYBODY. Paladins and clerics of good-aligned gods may have a few minor ethical dilemmas about the subject. But for those of you willing to delve into a little fire and brimstone, it’s good to know a little bit about what exactly it is you are coercing into doing your bidding – even if it’s only for one round per level. Collected here is a vast array of demons, devils, yugoloths, demodands, and miscellaneous evil outsiders for your perusal. Not every thing in the list will be extraplanar or evil, but most things will be - my requirements are basically thus: be an evil outsider, or an evil magical beast/aberration with the extraplanar subtype, or hail from a plane ranging from Acheron to Pandemonium. I’ll be hitting up the Monster Manuals, Fiend Folio, Fiendish Codices, and more (even a few issues of Dragon magazine, for the more adventurous players out there).

Much of this guide is intended for use with the Malconvoker from Complete Scoundrel. As summoning becomes an extremely viable strategy with this PrC (and summoning creatures with the [evil] subtype is the way to go with the class), I highly recommend it for any hopeful practitioners of deceptive demonology. Additionally, Malconvokers get a class ability at level 8 that lets them increase their Planar Binding HD limits by 2. If I mentioned a Planar Binding in an entry, assume I'm taking that Improved Calling ability into account. Regardless of the Malconvoker love (of which there is plenty), this can still be a handy guide. Use it for your BBEG and his cabal of demonic cultists. Or your evil cleric. Go hog wild.

A few quick preliminary notes:

Note that I won’t go into detail about how to best become a summoner – guides for that have already been written. In particular, I recommend:

Treantmonklvl20’s Mastering the Malconvoker (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=918792)
Mxyzplk’s Legal 3.5 Summonable Monster List (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13830400)
Mxyzplk’s EXTREMELY handy Malconvoker cheat sheets (http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/session-summaries/rise-of-the-runelords/valgrim-the-summoner/), from where my personal inspiration for the guide derives
And the Summoning Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=883099)

I'll be grouping creatures into six basic roles, as follows:

Brute: Self-explanatory. Melee monsters and damage-soaking tanks.
Assassin: Stealthy, subtle, or highly mobile creatures.
Minion: Mooks with few abilities that don't have a well-defined role or work well only en masse.
Manipulator: Lockdown, debuffing, or other relevant battlefield control.
Caster: Those who depend heavily on their SLAs or blasting abilities.
Overlords: These guys can do it all - melee, casting, control, whatever you need, an Overlord can most likely provide.

For creatures without a RAW method to summon them: Here’s the Summon Monster CR scale that I’m basing the guide on. It’s a fairly lenient scale – harsher DMs might skew it down a notch or two.
SM I: ½
SM II: 1
SM III: 2
SM IV: 3
SM V: 4-5
SM VI: 5-6
SM VII: 7-8
SM VIII: 9-10
SM IX: 11-13

A typical entry will have the following details:

CR: Obviously, the Challenge Rating of the creature.
HD: Its hit dice, relevant for binding. Ceilings are 8, 14, and 20 for a Malconvoker with Improved Calling.
How to get it: The way to summon it. If there's a RAW method, I'll use that. If not, I'll use my own scale, as noted above.
Role: The roles mentioned above - the basic use of the summon.
Fluff: Irrelevant to some, it might give you some ideas about how to roleplay these fiends or tempt them into copacetic binds.
Advantages: Self-explanatory; the reasons why you'd want to use the creature.
Disadvantages: Likewise; the reasons why you'd not want to use it.
Notable SLAs: The cream of each creature's spell-like ability crop.
Final Evaluation: My subjective take on the creature's overall efficacy, both in and out of combat.

And without further ado, the Encyclopedia Demonica:

DEMONS

Chaotic, vicious, and destructive, demons are a paramount choice for a caster looking to pick up a powerful caster or a sneaky tactical choice. They have plenty to offer (more than any other) in terms of variety, and a number of them are beautiful choices. Still, with such a large pool to draw from, there's bound to be a few duds. A number of them have annoying auras, or are heavily impractical for some reason. Though not as martially-adept as Devils, they are good choices for their spells and tactical possibilities.

Monster Manual I
Babau
CR: 6
HD: 7
How to get it: SM VII or Lesser Planar Binding
Role: Assassin
Fluff:Sneaky spies and assassins in demonic courts, Babaus aren't very socially adept. Though reasonably intelligent, their limited ability to wheel and deal will help you bluff them but good. They hate fair fights and plot carefully - they're likely to exploit loopholes in binding contracts if they can puzzle them out.
Advantages: It’s a sneaky little bugger that can provide scouting or hit-and-run tactics for you. 2d6 sneak attack and three attacks can add up. Decent rogue skills, though the limited duration will prove counterproductive in that regard. LPB can turn it into a rogue replacement, though.
Disadvantages: Disappointing damage and middling BAB, plus a caster level of 7 for its SLAs.
Notable SLAs: Dispel Magic at will never hurt anybody.
Final Evaluation: Though not the greatest summon for its level, it can be an effective skirmisher. Tag-team a vulnerable enemy with two babaus and watch the d6’s fly.

Balor
CR: 20
HD: 20
How to get it: Greater Planar Binding with either the Infernal Bargainer regional feat from Races of Faerun or the Malconvoker's Improved Calling ability
Role: Overlord
Fluff:Generals and overlords of demons, Balors aren't easily tricked or bound. My recommendation? Show them immediately that you're no pushover. Hit them with debuffs and verbal abuse while they're trapped in the circle. Demonstrate that even though they are great and powerful, they are nothing in comparison to your power, and that if they expect to get out of this alive and intact, they'd better bow to your every whim. Balors respect power and cruelty - you have to approach them on their terms.
Advantages: It has a vorpal sword (actually not that great). It is wreathed in flame. Amazing SLAs. It messes things up hard, in and out of melee. This is an absolutely iconic binding for a reason – it’s the golden standards by which other GPBs are measured.
Disadvantages: A CHA of 26 makes this a difficult bind, though far from impossible. Likely to be vindictive and cruel, plus it will seek torturous, bloody revenge on you as soon as it becomes free. Also, don’t get near it when it dies.
Notable SLAs: As much Blasphemy, Insanity, and Dominate Monster as you could ever want. Plus Implosion and Firestorm 1/day.
Final Evaluation: It’s a freakin’ Balor. It makes archmages cry and mighty heroes wet their pants with fear. Bind it with all possible speed, but beware the risks.

Bebilith
CR: 10
HD: 12
How to get it: SM IX
Role: Brute
Fluff: Equal parts hunter and ambusher, Bebiliths likely aren't interested in your ministrations or your offerings. They're somewhat intelligent, but they're also savage, primal, and animalistic. They do enjoy hunting demons, however, so perhaps you can offer them an all-you-can-eat dretch buffet.
Advantages: A hefty grapple score, three attacks a round, and a relatively powerful poison. Decent mobility for its size, including good ranks in Climb and Jump.
Disadvantages: By the time you can summon one, most creatures are going to laugh at a Bebilith. Its Rend Armor ability is fairly useless. A +16 in Sense Motive makes this harder than some to Bluff with your Deceptive Summoning ability.
Notable SLAs: Practically nothing, unfortunately. They can throw a web at a pitiful attack bonus, but everything at this level has a way of geting out of that.
Final Evaluation: The Bebilith isn't anything to write home about. It's a better melee fighter than the Hezrou you can get for the same spell, but the Hezrou has some powerful SLAs and the Bebilith really comes up short in that case. A good pick for straight melee (especially with all of your augmentations in play), but you're level 18 now. Straight melee doesn't really cut it anymore. If you can convince your DM to bump it down to SMVIII, it's that much more useful.

Dretch
CR: 2
HD: 2
How to get it: SM III or LPB if you must
Role: Minion
Fluff: Pathetic cannon fodder for demonic armies, Dretchs are easily bullied, abused, and controlled. It's a poor, poor wizard who can't intimidate a dretch into service.
Advantages: Three attacks per round and decent damage reduction for its level.
Disadvantages: Slow and fragile, .
Notable SLAs: Stinking Cloud and Scare are nice - don't prepare them, let your dretch do the work (granted, the DC is only 13).
Final Evaluation: The dretch also isn't the best melee bang for your SMIII buck, but the SLAs are useful and it can be a decent tank against mooks with that DR.

Glabrezu
CR: 13
How to get it: PB, or possibly SM IX if you can sway your DM
Fluff: Tempters of mortals with power and wealth, Glabrezu could potentially be swayed to your service with promises of magic items or gold - after all, that's more to offer other mortals. They're smart and subtle, so beware their machinations.
Advantages: What's not to love? A great attack schedule, decent AC and DR, a vast array of skills, and helpful SLAs, plus Wish one a month (though, and I quote: "Unless the wish is used to create pain and suffering in the world, the glabrezu demands terrible evil acts or great sacrifice as compensation").
Disadvantages: With a CHA of 20 and Sense Motive +18, the Glabrezu is likely to be wary of your tricks. But it's nothing you can't handle.
Notable SLAs: Reverse Gravity, Confusion, Unholy Blight, and Chaos Hammer all at will, plus Power Word Stun 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Glabrezu are another benchmark bind - they're a lovely, lovely choice. But they're also quite capable of effecting revenge on you.

Hezrou
CR: 11
HD: 10
How to get it: SM IX or PB
Fluff: Sergeants and middling officers, Hezrou enjoy carnage and battle more so than most demons. Just the offer of limb-rending, gut-wrenching slaughter might be enough to sway a Hezrou to your side.
Advantages: While not great sources of melee damage, their Stench ability can certainly tip the scales in your favor. Plus, no Sense Motive to speak of!
Disadvantages: A middling BAB and relatively poor damage make Hezrou subpar choices in melee.
Notable SLAs: Chaos Hammer and Unholy Blight at will, Blasphemy and Gaseous Form 3/day.
Final Evaluation: A decent choice as a walking debuff, Hezrou are made to wade into combat and disable enemies. Stench plus Chaos Hammer can really take lawful foes out of the fight, leaving them slowed, nauseated, and damaged.

Marilith
CR: 17
HD: 16
How to get it: GPB
Fluff: Tacticians and generals in demonic armies, Mariliths enjoy a good scrap. They don't seem to have any particular interest in mortal souls or magic items (no more than other demons, that is), so binding them may just be a matter of offering them carnage and heinous butchery.
Advantages: Seven attacks a round? Oh my, yes. A decent grapple, and a Constrict that not only does great damage, but can knock (DC 29 Fort) your opponent unconscious for the duration of the grapple. SLAs aren't truly special, but they're not bad.
Disadvantages: 24 CHA and +23 Sense Motive. Competition with the Balor.
Notable SLAs: Blade Barrier, Unholy Aura, Project Image and Telekinesis all at will. Polymorph, too, but few things are worth turning into.
Final Evaluation: A fine choice for hack and slash, Mariliths are powerful binds. But by the time you can bind one, the Balor's a possibility too.

Nalfeshnee
CR: 14
HD: 14
How to get it: PB
Role: Caster
Fluff: Nalfeshnees are judges and torturers of the damned. You could potentially get a lot of mileage out of just that fact - offer them the chance to cause significant pain and agony to enemies who were, let's face it, probably just going to end up in the Abyss anyway.
Advantages: Decent BAB, fantastic SLAs. Love that Smite ability - completely disables non-demons for 1d10 rounds. A great UMD skill, if you have some spare wands or scrolls. It can fly, too, though poorly.
Disadvantages: Sense Motive +23 and CHA 20 make it slightly harder to Bind than the Glabrezu. Melee damage is somewhat poor.
Notable SLAs: Call Lightning, Slow, Feeblemind, and Dispel Magic make the Nalfeshnee a spectacular disabler/debuffer and a limited blaster.
Final Evaluation: I like the Nalfeshnee a lot. It has plenty of tactical possibility and can bring plenty of opponents out of the fight.

Quasit
HD: 3
How to get it: Usually as a familiar, but SM III might be appropriate
Fluff: Pesky little critters with a penchant for sitting on the shoulders of wizards, Quasits are likely to be easily tricked, bullied, or tempted into your service. Abject cowards, to boot.
Advantages: Decent stealth skills and Alternate Form at will let the Quasit be a versatile summon. The DR + Fast Healing is nice. Good maneuverability.
Disadvantages: Can hardly make a dent in melee, though the poison is a nice bonus.
Notable SLAs: Detect Magic, Invisibility on self at will and Cause Fear 1/day
Final Evaluation: Quasits are poor in melee unless polymorphed into wolf form. Even then, they're only average. But they excel as scouts and infiltrators.

Succubus
CR: 7
HD: 6
How to get it: LPB with Improved Calling, or potentially added to the SM VI-VII list
Fluff: Unparalleled seductresses, succubi are schemers and flatterers. They want mortal souls. Don't give them yours. Don't give them any others, either! Offer them the chance to sharpen their seductive edge, or perhaps mention just how corruptible (or dreamy) the BBEG is.
Advantages: Very useful SLAs. The Energy Drain could prove useful against dumber opponents.
Disadvantages: Terrible in melee and extremely difficult to bind (26 CHA!).
Notable SLAs: Suggestion and Charm Monster at will.
Final Evaluation: There's always plenty of creative potential with a succubus around. Lay traps for your enemies. Play on their lusts and desires. If you can pull off the bind, seduce, seduce, seduce!

Vrock
CR: 9
How to get it: SM VIII or PB
Role: Brute/Manipulator
Fluff: Vrocks are bodyguards and shock troops. As such, they're simple creatures - they revel in battle and slaughter, and aren't much more subtle than that.
Advantages: Very nice attack schedule. Spores and Stunning Screech are great. Decent SLAs, mobility, and damage. The Dance of Ruin offers you a whole new tactical possibility if you can summon three of them.
Disadvantages: Sense Motive +16, though their CHA is crap.
Notable SLAs: Mirror Image and Telekinesis at will is nice, and Heroism is a great buff, even if it's only 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Can't go wrong with a Vrock. Mobile, powerful, and a potent disabler. Probably the best choice for core SM VIII.
Monster Manual II
Abyssal Maw
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM III
Fluff: Assault troopers in Abyssal armies, they're dumb and easily tricked. Some sources have them as minor creations of a long-forgotten demon lord of hunger. Maybe offer them food?
Advantages: One hell of a bite attack, though it's the only one they get. Rend Fallen seems nice, though all it really does is make sure they ain't getting back up from the negatives.
Disadvantages: Low HP, no DR. Won't last long.
Notable SLAs: None.
Final Evaluation: A decent melee choice, a pack of them can drop foes pretty quickly with 2d8+6 damage.

Abyssal Skulker
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM III or even SM II
Fluff: Stalkers and raiders, they live to harry and harass enemies of the Abyss. Easily tricked, but why would you want to?
Advantages: Um. None to speak of, really. Decent stealth, I suppose.
Disadvantages: It does 1d2 damage and uses Weapon Finesse, so Augment Summoning won't help.
Final Evaluation: Crap. Stay far away.

Abyssal Ravager
CR: 5
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IV
Fluff: Brutish, dumb and far from organized, Ravagers are basically wild and frenzied predators. No organization or desires to speak of, they're said to basically attack anything they see. Summon, point, get out of the way.
Advantages: Just a brutal poison. 2d6 Strength, both initial and secondary. Too bad the DC's only like 16. But it can easily drop an unsuspecting wizard or rogue.
Disadvantages: They've got nothing else going for them. Poor damage, sad HP, no DR, poor AC.
Final Evaluation: If you want something poisoned and helpless, they're your guy. But that's about all they're good for.

Jarilith
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SMIX
Fluff: Hunting beasts and predators of the Abyss, they are notoriously difficult to control. Even Balors apparently have to watch their step around them (though why is beyond me - they're Balors). They smell weakness and fear and it fills them with disdain. They don't speak, so are difficult to bargain with.
Advantages: Holy hell, these guys are melee monsters. Pounce, Rake, Augmented Critical? A fear aura and monstrous AC? Yes, on so many counts.
Disadvantages: Outside of straight melee combat, they have basically no uses.
Notable SLAs: Pretty crap. Doom, Detect Thoughts, and Clairaudience/Clairvoyance at will.
Final Evaluation: When you need something to die quickly, die now, and die screaming bloody murder with its throat nearly torn out, use Jariliths. If you can convince your DM that SMIX can summon them, this is one of the very few melee summons at that level I can condone using.

Jovoc
HD: 4
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V
Fluff: Sneaky creatures that thrive on strife and chaos, Jovocs aren't too bright but they are adept ambushers and skirmishers. Probably pretty easy to trick into service - just mention plenty of battle-based chaos.
Advantages: Aura of Retribution, great DR and Fast Healing. Any damage caused to them is reflected back upon all non-tanar'ri within 30 feet, regardless of how much the DR stopped. Even with a save for half, this is such a good ability. And then with Fast Healing, they get it all back.
Disadvantages: That same aura is pretty prohibitive to your own party, preventing them from wading into combat or suffering along with the enemies. They're awful in a straight melee, but that's kind of not their point.
Final Evaluation: I love these little guys. Plenty of dastardly potential with their Aura of Retribution. Bluff your foes into thinking that the Jovoc is a great threat, and then let them destroy themselves on their own swords. Once they wise up, sling fireballs in their general direction - the Jovoc's aura will double (or even triple with Fiendish Legion) the damage done. Your DM may cry. Or hit you. Or cry while hitting you.

Kelvezu
CR: 18
Fluff: Elite infiltrators and assassins for Abyssal lords, Kelvezu are surgical, precise, and brutally efficient. They don't seem to want power or influence, instead preferring to work their vicious magic out of sight and in the shadows. Perhaps offer it the chance to take out an enemy of the Abyss, like a powerful devil.
Advantages: 8d6 sneak attack, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, and poison make for a spectacular rogue replacement. And they're available very early on, because of their favorable HD/CR split. Quite difficult to hit. 16 CHA makes them a fairly easy bind.
Disadvantages: Sense Motive +18. Two-weapon fighting and poor BAB to begin with means that those glorious fistfuls of d6's are hard to actually connect. With only 90 HP, they don't last long if they do get attacked.
Notable SLAs: Greater Invisibility on self at will is nice for ambushes, plus Suggestion and Greater Dispel Magic at will as well.
Final Evaluation: This thing is somewhat overvalued on the CR scale, but it's an excellent choice because you can get it at a relatively low level. It won't scale extremely well, but it can pack one hell of a punch.

Palrethee
CR: 8
HD: 8
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII
Fluff: Shamed demons that once aspired to be balors, they failed and now are punished by being literally on fire forever. They crave power and magic items and you can probably play to their vanity fairly easily, or at least use the shame of their failure to cow them into servitude.
Advantages: A decent melee combatant with a +1 Flaming longsword. Their slam attacks can light enemies on fire, and they have a constant Fire Shield around them.
Disadvantages: Not exceptionally tough, they can easily get squashed in combat. Severe weakness to cold damage, too.
Notable SLAs: Cause Fear 1/day.
Final Evaluation: It's on fire. They can't catch it if it's on fire. But seriously, not all that helpful. At this level, you can be throwing around some serious firepower, and the Palrethee just doesn't cut it.

Zovvut
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII
Role: Manipulator
Fluff: Not-quite-tanar'ri demons who may or may not be the hideous spawn of Orcus, Zovvuts are used for artillery and demoralization purposes. Supposedly obey those who can intimidate them into service.
Advantages: A Zovvut's level-draining gaze is nice, but it can only drain one level at a time and at a Will DC of 17. The wording is somewhat unclear if it is a targeted effect with a range of 30 ft. or if it affects all enemies WITHIN 30 ft. I tend towards the former. A horde of them can focus-fire on one foe and potentially drain it into oblivion. Enemies killed by it rise as wights 1d4 rounds later, under the Zovvut's control. And if you control the Zovvut, under your control.
Disadvantages: Other than the gaze attack, the Zovvut doesn't have much going for it. Crap melee, crap SLAs.
Notable SLAs: Nothing really spectacular, though it has a small selection of stereotypical demonic abilities.
Final Evaluation: If you really want an army of wights at your beck and call, or if you like level draining, Zovvuts are okay picks. But you've got better options at your disposal, trust me.
Monster Manual III
Arrow Demon
How to get it: SM VII (evil caster, replaces babau) or PB
Fluff: The Abyss' ranged artillery, they are cruel and scornful, though they are loyal for survival's sake alone. As long as you impress upon them that their very survival depends on just how obedient and servile they are, they'll probably cave.
Advantages: Six ranged attacks that do 2d6+8 damage is a good thing. Arrow Demons can quickly turn low-AC foes into pincushions. It can even go into melee in a pinch, with four claw attacks.
Disadvantages: Those six attacks are at +12/+12/+12/+7/+7/+7, which is pretty crap for its level. Really low DR, too.
Notable SLAs: At will Dimension Door, but only if you bind it. Summons can't use teleportation abilities.
Final Evaluation: There's very little in the way of ranged support amongst the Summon Monster line, so the Arrow Demon is a welcome addition. Replacing the Babau is an easy choice. While you'll find yourself rolling a lot of misses, the sheer number of attacks an Arrow Demon has should make for some devastating critical hits. Tossing on a Cat's Grace or a Greater Magic Weapon will really amp up their potential.

Sorrowsworn Demon
HD: 18
Fluff: They like to linger around battlegrounds or graveyards, reveling in loss. If you allow it to drink in the feelings of loss that you will inevitably cause as a high-level adventurer, perhaps it will agree to accompany you.
Advantages: Nice debuffing aura with a tough Will save - it interferes with casting and mimics Crushing Despair. Whispers of Loss is a great ability that can leave your foes stunned, dazed and confused. A good selection of SLAs, and a brutally damaging attack schedule. Fairly durable, too.
Disadvantages: The aura affects everyone around the demon, but it does have the option of switching it off. No real drawbacks to speak of, although Mindblank is a big fat NO to most of its abilities.
Notable SLAs: Mind Fog, Feeblemind, and Weird 1/day; Touch of Idiocy and Greater Dispel 3/day; plus Invisibility and Nondetection at will.
Final Evaluation: Another solid choice for a bind, the Sorrowsworn will worm its way into your enemies' minds and utterly annihilate them. Or it can rip them apart with its +2 glaive. Your choice.
Monster Manual IV
Deathdrinker
It has 27 HD. You can't bind it.

Kastighur
HD: 15
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX
Fluff: Kastighurs are the prison wardens of the Abyss, full of torturous delight and very little cunning. They're large, sort of dumb, and rush into the fray at the slightest provocation. They're apparently notably undisciplined, sometimes ignoring orders just to incite fear and disorder.
Advantages: Good damage and great feats for tactical battle, Kastighurs are good choices for bull rushes or overruns.. They do a fair bit of damage on a charge, too (5d6+14), with a DC 27 stun effect! They have a fear aura, and get a bonus to attack foes that are afraid, so that's a nice bit of synergy. Relatively tough. Acid immunity is nice, too.
Disadvantages: Outside of melee, they have little use. Low AC. Summoned Kastighurs can't use their teleporting abilities.
Notable SLAs: Feather Fall is the only thing they get outside of Teleport.
Final Evaluation: Better than a Bebilith in straight melee, they're unfortunately taken down a notch by their near-complete lack of abilities beyond melee. Still, they're capable bruisers.

Nashrou
How to get it: SM III or LPB
Fluff: Little more than savage pack predators, Nashrou have animal intelligence and are known to be extremely difficult to bargain with. Summoning rather than binding is heavily recommended.
Advantages: Where to begin? They get four damaging attacks at a decent attack bonus. They're quick and durable, with high HP and decent DR. 10 ft. reach never hurt anybody either (well, maybe your enemies).
Disadvantages: Vulnerability to critical hits and no SR are their only glaring weaknesses.
Notable SLAs: None
Final Evaluation: One of my favorite low-level summons. Nashrou can tear your opponents to little tiny shreds, and remain halfway-decent at higher levels, especially with Fiendish Legion in play. Definitely use them. A+, five stars, would summon again.

Whisper Demon
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII; or just use PB
Fluff: Hideous apparitions that drive those around them to insanity and suicide via their mad babbling, Whisper Demons are themselves out of their ghostly minds. They rarely speak and when they do, it's vile and hateful insults and lecherous desires. Hard bargain.
Advantages: They drive living creatures suicidally insane. Including your enemies. They're incorporeal, which is nice.
Disadvantages: They drive living creatures suicidally insane. Including you.
Final Evaluation: Well, you could send it into the middle of an enemy fortress or encampment and sit back and relax while your foes all eventually go mad and kill themselves and then rise as allips. Mostly, I'd stay away.

Wrackspawn
CR: 3
How to get it: SM IV
Fluff: The twisted remains of good souls tortured endlessly by demons, Wrackspawn exist only to inflict pain on as many things as they can. They have no eyes and shriek constantly. They fight with spears made out of their own bones. Squick.
Advantages: Effective melee combatants, their spears do an extra 2d6 damage and sicken creatures against Fort DC 20. Plus 120' Blindsight, so you can do all sorts of nasty things with Cloudy Conjuration or Fog spells.
Disadvantages: Kind of slow.
Final Evaluation: Another favorite summon. Great damage, though less useful against non-living foes. One of my favorite SM IV's.
Monster Manual V
Adaru
HD: 13
How to get it: SM IX as an evil caster (or a Malconvoker) or GPB
Fluff: Adaru are surprisingly charming for demons, but are treacherous and scheming. You're going to have to learn to bluff a consummate bluffer to deal with them, but they can be bought with wealth and magic items.
Advantages: Supremely mobile, with burrow, climb, and swim speeds. A decently damaging poison. Its Fetid Cloud ability debuffs and makes movement difficult for non-evil creatures while giving evil creatures profane bonuses - great in a swarm of summons. But how often will you fight non-evil enemies?
Disadvantages: Not very damaging in melee, unimpressive SLAs. Can't kill a thing without using its poison.
Notable SLAs: Freedom at will and Charm Monster 3/day, but it only works on other tanar'ri, so it's rather limited.
Final Evaluation: One or two helpful abilities mixed in with a lot of mediocre ones. I'm not sold. Better things to do at this level.

Carnage
Fluff: General Abyssal infantry, sent into the fray to wreak havoc. Dull and single-mindedly focused on destruction. Not actually tanar'ri, but some strange creation. "Easily enticed by the promise of devastation."
Advantages: At least it gets a bonus when around other Carnage Demons? Scant consolation. DR/silver at least might confuse a few foes used to demons and cold iron.
Disadvantages: Weak in melee, plus can easily turn on you and yours.
Final Evaluation: The Nashrou is better than this, and a level lower. Unless you really need to break through some weird DR, stay far away.

Draudnu
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII or IX
Fluff: These strange, hideous creatures seem ripped straight from the pages of Lovecraft, twisted abominations crafted by Pale Night from eladrin bones. All they want is to cleanse the Abyss of non-obyriths. They care nothing for wealth, power, or influence - they only like to kill.
Advantages: Decently powerful in melee with a handy Immobilization effect. Creatures within 60 feet must save or be permanently sickened. Decent DR and Fast Healing. Does acid damage to those that damage it.
Disadvantages: Keep it well away from your side of the battlefield. No SLAs is painful at this level, too.
Final Evaluation: While I find their sickening aura to be too risky, they can be decent wading into melee. But only barely. Just make sure they do it at a safe distance.

Gadacro
Fluff: Abyssal scavengers and eyethieves, Gadacro are small and childlike and full of in-fighting. Like a pack of demonic vultures or crows. Gadacro obey the strongest member of their group, but they all eventually turn on the leader and rip him to shreds. Curse their sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Advantages: Plenty to like here. Sneak attack, plus an auto-blind for 5 rounds if it connects. If they get hit, they automatically get to poof away unharmed. A fly speed with perfect maneuverability and Flyby Attack makes them ideal aerial harriers.
Disadvantages: Their actual melee damage is pitiful, and their attacks are DEX-based, so your Augment Summoning doesn't help them connect. But that's still a minor quibble - Gadacro are fun.
Notable SLAs: Mirror Image and Earthbind 1/day.
Final Evaluation: I get an evil grin when I think about these guys. They won't bring anything down, but they'll certainly make it a lot easier for you to do so - and like the annoying pests they are, they just won't die. Extremely effective in groups - they call groups "murders of gadacro," and with good reason.

Solamith
HD: 11
How to get it: SM VIII
Fluff: Ravenous hunger demons, Solamiths are bulging and flabby, full of soulfire. Demonic grenade launchers. They throw themselves upon the mercy of greater beings, meaning that obtaining their obedience should be a cinch.
Advantages: Can throw mini-fireballs all day long with Fast Healing. They can double the range and maximize the damage by doing more damage to themselves, so if you want a glass cannon, you've got one. Plus they can release a cone of soulfire as a retributive swift action the round after they get damaged. Soulfire offers a save, but it's Ref 25, which isn't too bad. Low CHA makes them an easy bind, to boot.
Disadvantages: Poor melee and sort of a one-trick pony. Cleave and Power Attack as feats? What a waste.
Final Evaluation: Great for taking out hordes of mooks, Solamiths aren't really that effective against burlier fare. Still, a horde of them can firebomb quite a bit into submission. Call this one a reserved recommendation.

Salt_Crow
2009-07-25, 06:57 AM
Interesting. One thing though, isn't GPB capped at 18HD? If so, a balor can only be summoned by Gate.

The Mentalist
2009-07-25, 06:59 AM
A new demon thread is always nice.

Gnorman
2009-07-25, 07:03 AM
Interesting. One thing though, isn't GPB capped at 18HD? If so, a balor can only be summoned by Gate.

Ah, and therein lies the beauty of the Malconvoker. One of its class features lets you bring that up by 2.

Also, a FR regional feat called Infernal Bargainer allows you to do the same, but requires you to be an outsider to take it.

I do believe they stack.

Tiefling Malconvokers? How deliciously flavorful.

PId6
2009-07-25, 07:10 AM
Aaaaaand I'm definitely playing a Malconvoker... eventually.

Salt_Crow
2009-07-25, 07:48 AM
Ah, and therein lies the beauty of the Malconvoker. One of its class features lets you bring that up by 2.

Also, a FR regional feat called Infernal Bargainer allows you to do the same, but requires you to be an outsider to take it.

I do believe they stack.

Tiefling Malconvokers? How deliciously flavorful.

That's a positively appealing option indeed. It would be helpful to have it mentioned somewhere though.

Also, would you be able to provide some information on how to bargain with each fiends as you go along? It would no doubt provide some excellent inspirations for those who love to role-play their infernal dealings.

Gnorman
2009-07-25, 07:56 AM
That's a positively appealing option indeed. It would be helpful to have it mentioned somewhere though.

Also, would you be able to provide some information on how to bargain with each fiends as you go along? It would no doubt provide some excellent inspirations for those who love to role-play their infernal dealings.

That, my friend, is a very excellent idea. I'll add a section on "Relevant Fluff."

Gnorman
2009-07-27, 04:40 AM
Update! Demons from MMI-MMV are complete.

That was fun. A bit of work, yes, but fun. More to come.

Leon
2009-07-27, 07:13 AM
One of the idea's i had for the current game I'm in was a Assimar Malconvoker doing fight evil with evil method
Didn't end up going with it but im sure the pally would have a lot of issues being around bound demons often (Gave him plenty during the couple of months as a werewolf)

PId6
2009-07-27, 07:57 AM
That's a lot of demons! Nice job! I especially love the suggestions on what to offer them when binding.

One thing, slight inconsistency. For Wrackspawn (MM IV), it says you need SM IV to summon it, but in the final evaluation you said it is one of the best SM III.

Oh, and Whisper Demon? I want one. And Jovoc look like so much fun, especially if you manage to mass produce them with SM V. I can't wait for some devils!

Alcopop
2009-07-27, 08:20 AM
Oh! keep going! this looks great! :)

Eldariel
2009-07-27, 08:30 AM
Don't forget that you can buff your summons too. This particularly helps with creatures that have a large number of attacks such as the Arrow Demon and the Marilith: If you Planar Bind them, Greater Magic Weapon, Bull's Strength, etc. can suddenly greatly increase their combat prowess.

If summoning, you're admittedly more limited, but Imbued Summoning-feat offers you some nice options, as do mass buffs that affect your allies while also buffing the Demon (say, Haste).

Darrin
2009-07-27, 04:36 PM
If you weren't able to pick up Rapid Summoning:

Golden Desert Honey (CMage p. 136, 300 GP). Reduces casting time on summoning spells to 1 standard action.

Fiendring (Lost Empires of Faerun p. 152, 30000 GP). Why bother summoning a fiend (fiendish creature, demon, or devil) when you can just become one, complete with SLAs and Supernatural abilities? And yes, that would include all the various "Summon Tanari" abilities. Only works for creatures summonable via SMI/II/III/IV.

Gnorman
2009-07-27, 06:15 PM
Don't forget that you can buff your summons too. This particularly helps with creatures that have a large number of attacks such as the Arrow Demon and the Marilith: If you Planar Bind them, Greater Magic Weapon, Bull's Strength, etc. can suddenly greatly increase their combat prowess.

If summoning, you're admittedly more limited, but Imbued Summoning-feat offers you some nice options, as do mass buffs that affect your allies while also buffing the Demon (say, Haste).

Eventually I'll include an "Ideal Buffs" section - not for each demon (oh god, so much more work), but some very good choices for specific roles.

Unfortunately, Bull's Strength is useless for a summoner - all their creatures already get a +4 enhancement bonus from Augment Summoning. But Magic Weapon and Cat's Grace can be very useful, especially on summons with Weapon Finesse.

Gnorman
2009-07-28, 10:02 PM
DEMONS, PART II

Fiendish Codex I
Armanite
HD: 9
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII or PB
Fluff: Armanites are demonic heavy cavalry. They live in packs led by leaders called knechts, plus they have their own cities. Seemingly socially organized, they still are known abandon their tasks in favor of extreme bloodlust. Give them the opportunity to charge into battle and they might submit to being bound.
Advantages: A powerful charge attack with lessened penalties, decent melee presence, and automatic Shocking Burst on arrows fired from their bows. Decent durability. Not a bad deal.
Disadvantages: Once they've charged, they're a little unimpressive in melee for their level. No abilities outside of straight melee.
Notable SLAs: Airwalk for an hour/day.
Final Evaluation: Fairly run of the mill. Decent in melee (but only decent) and not much else. While I like the charge, the Bulezau later on in the same book are much better at it for just a single SM level.

Bar-lgua
How to get it: None by RAW, SM V-VI or LPB
Fluff: Looking like gigantic fiendish orangutans, Bar-lgua are demonic scouts and skirmishers. They are rather odd - though they still craft grim totems and fetishes and despise most other beings, they don't take nearly as much pleasure in torment and suffering as other demons. In fact, they consider other demons a nuisance and despise working with them. Could be twisted to your advantage.
Advantages: Quite mobile, with good SLAs and a decent attack schedule. While summoning them won't let you take advantage of it (you'd have to use Lesser Planar Binding), their Abduction ability is basically an at-will teleportation taxi service, two party members at a time. Pounce, too!
Disadvantages: Melee damage does leave something to be desired at this level, though they are better than the Bearded Devil at SM V. They pale in comparison to the fiendish giant crocodile, unfortunately.
Notable SLAs: Telekinesis, Dispel Magic, and Cause Fear at will, plus Major Image, Invisibility, and Disguise Self 2/day.
Final Evaluation: I like Bar-lgua quite a bit. They are a bit like the jacks-of-all-trades of the demonic realms. They can be sneaky, tactical, brutish, or a mobile assault platform with telekinetic ammunition. The lowest level Overlord. They're not always your best choice, but they're always a good choice. A great choice for a LPB.

Broodswarm
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VI or LPB
Role: Minion/Manipulator
Fluff: Broodswarms are deathly loyal swarms formed by night hags in an agonizing ritual. They exist only to seek out potential souls for the night hag to transform into larva. They attack good souls almost exclusively. You can summon or bind one, but you'll likely incur the wrath of its night hag mother.
Advantages: Swarm traits can be handy. Their Daze and Stitching (Stitching has no save!) abilities, in combination with the Distraction swarm trait, make them potent disablers. A blind, mute, helpless, dazed enemy is a good enemy. A swarm with Evasion is a very good combination, too.
Disadvantages: If an area effect hits 'em, kiss 'em goodbye. Their damage is very low. Stitching offers a fairly easy Strength check to break out, though each attempt does damage.
Final Evaluation: A niche pick, particularly when you want to disable and/or capture foes rather than killing them. Not all that effective for its level, unfortunately.

Bulezau
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII or PB
Fluff: Goat-headed shock troops and formation assault squads of the Abyss. They are difficult to control and fly into berserk rages. Bulezau only obey orders under the threat of death from a more powerful overlord - otherwise they fall into immediate chaos and frenzied battle. Impress them with your power and they'll fall in line.
Advantages: Melee monsters. Their ranseurs are very damaging with 20' reach, and even their charge pales in comparison to it. That said, the charge is still quite good. A good complement of SLAs.
Disadvantages: Their SLA save DCs are pitifully low. Their BAB could use a boost, too. Their AC makes me sad, but you want them to get hit.
Notable SLAs: Solid Fog and Telekinesis at will, Fear 3/day and Shout 1/day.
Final Evaluation: I'm a reserved fan. A source of ungodly damage in melee, the Vrock is still a more consistent choice at this level with its better attack bonus and other abilities. Of course, the Bulezau's Sense Motive is nonexistent, so it's easier to trick. Solid Fog is, however, a very good ability to have at will, so it's a toss-up.

Chasme
How to get it: No RAW, likely SM VIII-IX or PB
Role: Assassin/Caster
Fluff: Chasmes are abyssal torturers and slavemasters, thrilling in pain and suffering. They despise all other demons (and probably you too), but will temporarily ignore their predilections if offered the chance of torture or interrogate others.
Advantages: First off, they're swift and perfect flyers with Flyby Attack and attacks that cause bleeding wounds. They have a good full-attack schedule at an acceptable BAB. They have a vast array of useful SLAs.
Disadvantages: Their auras aren't all that helpful (who cares about sleep at level 15?) and they don't do a whole lot of damage with their attacks.
Notable SLAs: Insect Plague at will would be great, if summoned Chasmes could use it. Still, Fly, Dispel Magic, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Telekinesis are a decent array of at wills, and quickened Rays of Enfeeblement and Unholy Aura, though limited, are quite helpful.
Final Evaluation: Hard to find a lot wrong with the Chasme. Sure, there are plenty of aerial skirmishers in the demonic catalogue, but none of them have the Chasme's magical abilities nor as much damaging potential. Great at SM VIII, decent at SM IX.

Dybbuk
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII-SMVIII or PB
Role: Manipulator/Caster
Fluff: Creepy incorporeal loumara (a subtype of demon) that possess the dead for perverse, hedonistic purposes. They constantly are on the search for that perfect body, a fresh, attractive corpse whose death no one has yet noticed. Perhaps they will find such a corpse among your enemies?
Advantages: They can corpse-hop amongst the remains of your enemies, which has a lot of potential if you take down the strongest foe first, then let its possessed corpse turn on its former allies. It has an interesting Death Touch ability (though far too easy to resist), and it can impart a profane 24-hour bonus to mortals. Does 1d6 Con damage with its tentacles, healing itself at the same time.
Disadvantages: Possessing corpses is rather a niche skill, don't you think? If there's nothing dead to take, the Dybbuk's power is significantly lessened. Con damage takes a long time to kill things by the time you can summon one, and its SLAs are shut down cold by Mindblank.
Notable SLAs: Obscuring Mist at will; Fear, Phantasmal Killer, and Mind Fog 3/day.
Final Evaluation: An interesting bit of potential, I still find the Dybbuk too much a situational choice to rely on. I want summons that can kill things, not control things that are already dead.

Ekolid
CR: 4
HD: 5
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V or LPB
Fluff: Intelligent insectile abominations who reproduce by implanting their eggs into as many creatures as possible, Ekolids have little motivation beside reproduction. Those under the rule of Obox-Ob form vast hive-cities made out of corpses. Man, Obyriths are creepy.
Advantages: Seven attacks per round! Their eggs do extra damage and nauseate their victims. They get to take an extra move action, and have a 60' average fly speed.
Disadvantages: Their aura can really mess up your party, causing a -1 on all skills and forcing casters to make a concentration check to cast even the simplest spells (though at DC 10, any half-way optimized caster should beat it). Somewhat fragile, and does poor damage. Awful grapple modifier.
Final Evaluation: Eh, I think the risk outweighs the reward here. Still, they can do a good bit of damage to mooks with their incubation abilities. Pretty much a pass.

Goristro
24 HD means the Goristro is unbindable.

Guecubu
Fluff: Disembodied abyssal spirits who believe that their serial murders form a pattern that will reveal the nature of the multiverse. Cruel and merciless, but somewhat weak.
Advantages: Incorporeal and naturally invisible, Guecubu make great scouts. They can also possess sleeping creatures and use Telekinesis while inhabiting another body, giving them as much possibility as you can imagine.
Disadvantages: No source of damage outside of Telekinesis. Fairly low HP. Unless you are careful when commanding it, it might decide to possess you.
Notable SLAs: Telekinesis at will.
Final Evaluation: Supreme infiltrators, Guecubu are useful in a host of non-combat situations. They're just not that useful in combat. Situational, but quite good in the right situation.

Laghathti (Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060620a))
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII-IX or PB
Fluff: Ancient mind-wiping tentacle beasts, Laghathti love nothing more than stealing agonizing or tragic memories and implanting terrifying memories into unsuspecting minds. They're not very bright, preferring to pore over their collection of memories rather than think for themselves. If the villains you face have particularly tragic backstories, perhaps a Laghathti will consent simply for the chance to steal their remembrances.
Advantages: Seven attacks a round at a decent bonus, each one with the chance of bestowing a negative level. That's some mighty fine debuffing right there, plus it can pounce. Fast Healing, DR, and high HP make it a durable choice as well. Very good senses, too, with all-around vision and true seeing.
Disadvantages: Oof, 2d4 negative levels just by looking at the thing is a hefty mark against it. On land, they're a bit sluggish. A very limited selection of SLAs.
Notable SLAs: Modify Memory at will - nice, since you're probably not a Bard.
Final Evaluation: Like all Obyrith, the Laghathti poses a significant risk to you simply by summoning it. This one is potentially the worst offender of the bunch. Still, if you can get your hands on something that gives you immunity to negative levels (immunity to negative energy won't work, since the ability specifically says "These negative levels do not result from negative energy"), it's a very potent disabling grappler.

Lilitu
CR: 12
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX or PB
Fluff: The succubus MK II, a Lilitu specializes in the corruption of mortal churches and priests. They used to be succubi, until a ritual which claims the life of an entire congregation burns their wings away and transforms them into the hideous mockeries they are now.
Advantages: They get to cast as a 9th level cleric, which is very handy. Great SLAs. A helpful poison, too, though it's not all that helpful in combat - but out of it, the interrogative powers are limitless. Automatic UMD success.
Disadvantages: Pitiful damage and a severe weakness to divine magic. Very easily dealt with by a cleric or druid who sees through her trickery. Extremely high CHA, so it's going to be a long and bumpy road to Planar Binding.
Notable SLAs: Charm Monster, Fly, Suggestion, Sending, and Disguise Self all at will, with Dominate Person, a quickened Suggestion, and a Symbol of Persuasion 1/day. That doesn't include their cleric spells, which include beauties like Bestow Curse (helpful if you banned Necromancy!), Confusion, Silence, and Raise Dead.
Final Evaluation: With a host of spells and SLAs, Lilitu can really shore up your weaknesses in the casting department. I find them extremely useful when coercing a trapped creature into a contract - sting them for negative levels, curse them, and dominate them into agreement. Delightful.

Mane
CR: 1
HD: 1
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM II or LPB (if you really must)
Fluff: Pathetic husks of mortal souls sent to the Abyss, Manes exist only to be tortured, ravaged, and abused. One of the only things that scares demons is the threat of being demoted and twisted into a Mane.
Advantages: They do have one extra attack on the Lemure. Plus, they explode in a caustic damaging mist, which can turn them into walking, dying, exploding flasks of acid.
Disadvantages: Just about everything - crappy HP, AC, and damage.
Final Evaluation: A slightly better pick than the Lemure, it's still SM II. Don't expect much.

Molydeus
CR: 19
HD: 19
Fluff: The Molydeus is a lord among demons, usually seen to be on an equal standing with the Balor. Mostly, it spends its time seeking out renegade demons (technically aren't all demons renegades?) and deserters and exact righteous punishment. Extremely feared by other demons for its ability to transform them into manes. It is an arrogant spellcaster who attempts to subdue a Molydeus, as they only suffer orders from the Lords of the Abyss. Tough, tough bind, and the Molydeus will likely turn on you in an instant.
Advantages: Holy motherlode, where to start? They do more damage than a Balor (though their attack bonus is slightly lower) and outstrip the other demon in terms of AC and Fast Healing. Fast Healing 30, by the way. Insane. They have phenomenal spell-likes, get to ignore most forms of damage reduction, and have a devastating poison attack that even affects those who are immune to poison.
Disadvantages: Bloody hell, none to speak of. Well, except the 28 CHA and the +31 Sense Motive. Good luck binding it.
Notable SLAs: Baleful Polymorph, Vampiric Touch, Fear, Suggestion, and plenty others all at will; Dimensional Lock and Lightning Bolt 7/day, quickened Telekinesis 3/day, and Trap the Soul (dubiously effective) 1/day.
Final Evaluation: What can I say? I like the Molydeus. Maybe not necessarily more than the Balor, but it's certainly comparable. Really, if you manage to bind either of them, you're golden.

Nabassu, juvenile / mature
CR: 5 / 15
HD: 5 / 15
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V-VI for a juvenile, and GPB for a mature
Fluff: Nabassu are gargoyle-like demons with a noted predilection for undead creatures, graveyards, and negative energy. They grow by consuming mortals from the Prime, retreating back to the Abyss to form their own dominions once they've devoured enough. Mature nabassu are particularly greedy.
Advantages: The juvenile is a decent enough combatant, with 2d6 sneak attack damage and three attacks. It also has a level-draining gaze. The mature steps it up further, giving us a host of SLAs, 6d6 sneak attack damage, and regeneration. Both have the option of feeding, gaining bonuses and preventing the enemy from being easily raised.
Disadvantages: Their AC is a bit low and they rather annoyingly don't have Flyby Attack.
Notable SLAs: Obscuring Mist for the juvenile; Enervation, Greater Dispel, Hold Monster, Energy Drain, and Blasphemy for the mature.
Final Evaluation: I'm a little worried about that level-draining gaze, as it could potentially turn on you and yours. Overall though, whether summoned or bound, I find the Nabassu to be an interesting choice of assassin. They can rip things apart in melee and provide solid debuffs against the enemies they can't touch.

Rutterkin
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IV or LPB
Fluff: Deformed foot soldiers and bestial brutes, Rutterkin understand very little but physical force and intimidation. They are savage and merciless towards anything they perceive as weaker.
Advantages: Sadly, not a ton to love here. They're much weaker than the fiendish dire wolves of the same level. The only point in their favor is their automatic grappling reach weapons, but even those aren't much to get excited about. I suppose they're also reasonably durable.
Disadvantages: Low attack, low damage, and a low grapple modifier make Rutterkins bad at their primary function.
Notable SLAs: Cause Fear, I guess (though the Dretch is a level lower and casts a better version).
Final Evaluation: Bad SLAs, no abilities, and a poor showing in melee, which is really the only thing they can do. Don't linger here. Pass.

Sibriex
CR: 15
Fluff: These gigantic ugly floating heads (god, the stuff of nightmares) are the living, sentient spawning pools of the Obyrith, fleshcrafters and insane twisted biologists. They are quite vain and desire complements of guards to protect and fawn over them. They are highly intelligent and domineering.
Advantages: Well, they can create and attach fiendish grafts for free! In case you wanted them. They have a decent host of enchantment-based SLAs, and they can cover enemies in acidic bile.
Disadvantages: Crappy speed and pathetic dexterity, plus they drive everyone around them insane. Fortunately, it's not as damaging of an insanity as other Obyrith, but it's still a bad idea. 25 CHA makes it hard to bind.
Notable SLAs: Hold Monster, Charm Monster, Major Creation all at will, plus Feeblemind 3/day.
Final Evaluation: I don't personally like them, as they are too given to scheming and betrayal, especially when their aura of insanity cripples your saves against their charms. Still, free grafts might appeal to some, and it can hold its own in combat.

Yochlol
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII-VIII or PB
Fluff: These are the handmaidens of Lolth, her chosen attendants. They are unparalleled tricksters and shapeshifters. They're favored daughters of their goddess, and they know it - they're disdainful and cruel towards all others, demons included. Summoning and binding them may rub Lolth the wrong way - bad idea.
Advantages: Four distinct forms that offer all sorts of advantages in infiltration. They can turn into a Stinking Cloud, a beautiful female humanoid, a spider (with Con damaging poison), or their natural jelly form. Eight attacks a round, plus a nice array of SLAs. CHA bonus to saves and AC, plus permanent Mind Blank.
Disadvantages: Pathetic damage with their tendrils. Low AC. The aforementioned "Favored of Lolth" thing.
Notable SLAs: Dominate Person, Stone Shape, Web, and Spider Climb at will.
Final Evaluation: I like them for their potential in disguise, infiltration, and information-gathering, but step carefully around your DM with them - he may decide to bring the Lolth-hammer down on you.

Gnorman
2009-08-12, 09:54 PM
More demons!

DEMONS, PART III

Fiend Folio
Alkilith
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII-IX
Role: Brute/Caster
Fluff: Disgusting amorphous slime demons, Alkiliths are reviled by most other demons and only called upon in the direst of situations. They love to defile their surroundings with their own foul corruption.
Advantages: They do decent damage with their acidic pseudopod attacks, have a sizable collection of useful SLAs, and they have respectable defenses due to their amorphous nature. They can transform into a Cloudkill spell, which has its uses. They can command oozes as a free action.
Disadvantages: Their acidic attacks will melt your treasure! And while the repeating nature of the damage is nice, it takes a while to really add up.
Notable SLAs: Contagion, Enervation, Stinking Cloud, and Wall of Ice at will, plus Cone of Cold 3/day.
Final Evaluation: While Alkiliths are capable and have some interesting abilities, they violate one of the cardinal rules of the game: thou shalt not damage your own potential treasure! Still, against treasureless enemies, Alkiliths may be a minor boon. Otherwise, keep them out of melee and let them act as artillery with Cone of Cold.

Blood Fiend
How to get it: None by RAW, maybe SM IX or otherwise PB
Fluff: Blood Fiends are basically the demon equivalent of vampires. No, not basically - they are demonic vampires. They're undead. Nearly all of their abilities are vampiric in nature. The only difference is that instead of namby-pamby hedonistic glistening pretty boys, they are nine feet tall, have four viciously clawed arms, and have gigantic maws filled with rows upon rows of razor-sharp teeth. These guys make vampires crap themselves.
Advantages: Great Domination gaze. They have four attacks that drain levels, and they can drain Con with their bite attack. Undead traits and Gaseous Form add to survivability.
Disadvantages: For a CR 14 creature, they have a pathetic attack bonus. SLAs are booooring.
Notable SLAs: Extremely stereotypical demon selection - Chaos Hammer, Blasphemy, and Desecrate.
Final Evaluation: Blah. I don't want to summon vampires, let alone demonic vampires. They're handy for their gaze, but that's about it. I get the vampiric theme, but it's just not an effective pick. Oooh, look, they can turn into Howlers or Nightmares? Well I can summon those already, and at a much lower level.

Klurichir
Fluff: They give balors nightmares supposedly. They're gigantic winged generals and majordomos for the mightiest Abyssal lords. They don't take no crap. They are brilliant and visionary tacticians, but they prefer to stand back and let their minions do their work for them. Convincing one to become your minion will be one hell of a challenge.
Advantages: While they do have a satisfying attack schedule and vorpal stomach pincers (they make excellent grapplers, but that's kind of wasting their potential), these guys are all about the spells. In addition to their SLAs, they also cast as a 10th level sorcerer. If you can get some spell picks swapped around (they apparently prefer evocation/abjuration, but there's no reason why every Klurichir has to have the same list), that feature can end up quite useful.
Disadvantages: At 23 CHA, they are a difficult bind, but they are easier than a Balor for some reason. The typical list given for their sorcerer spellcasting is kind of awful - who's casting Fireball at this point?
Notable SLAs: Greater Dispel Magic, Wall of Fire, Symbol (any), and Unholy Aura at will, plus Implosion, Destruction, Enervation, Fire Storm, and Slay Living 3/day. Plus sorcerer spellcasting.
Final Evaluation: Oddly enough, the Fiendish Codex I bumped their CR down from 25 to 17, so I don't know if they technically give Balors nightmares anymore. But they can automatically summon two Balors. You bind a Klurichir, it summons two Balors. A CR 17 creature summoning two CR 20 creatures seems consummately broken. One of the best binds possible, if only for that reason. Add in the supremely useful SLAs, and there's no good reason not to give it a shot.

Maurezhi
CR: 3 (Bah!)
Role: Caster/Assassin
Fluff: Demonic versions of ghouls (sensing a theme with the Fiend Folio?), Maurezhi aren't technically undead. They are however corpse-eaters and shapechangers, taking on the guises of those that they consume. They exist solely to devour corpses, fulfilling their insidious urges.
Advantages: They can advance by consuming humanoids, which makes them a potential long-term scaling companion. They have a paralyzing attack. They steal the memories of those they eat, which can be helpful for infiltration. They can be
Disadvantages: Crappy attack, middling HP, and general poor combat abilities means that the Maurezhi is basically designed to sit back and create an undead army.
Notable SLAs: Hold Person, Animate Dead, Blur, and Death Knell at will.
Final Evaluation: I don't buy FCI's drastic CR reduction here. I still put Maurezhis around CR 5-6. Animate Dead at will is a handy ability for army generation, and they're no pushovers. I like their advancement and I like their abilities. They're not very useful as a summon, since they take ten minutes to eat corpses, but as a lesser bind they're not a bad choice.

Myrmyxicus
Fluff: Myrmyxicuses (god what a horrible name to spell repeatedly) are the lords and masters of the foreboding Abyssal Ocean depths. They carve their own citadels out of bone and coral and balk at serving any but themselves. Likely, they won't tolerate your harness for long.
Advantages: They do some decent damage with their unholy scythes. They can breathe unholy vapor that heavily damages good creatures (again, not that useful except in certain campaigns).
Disadvantages: For supposed high-level overlords, they have some pretty lackluster SLA options. They're aquatic, though as outsiders they don't need to breathe. But still, they're sluggish when not in water.
Notable SLAs: Charm Person, Telekinesis at will, Control Weather, Control Water and Greater Dispel 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Well, really effective against good creatures with their various unholy abilities. Unfortunately, they have very little to offer outside of an aquatic campaign. I don't like 'em. Better options for GPB.

Skulvyn
How to get it: SM IV or LPB
Fluff: Bestial predators that roam Abyssal seas in schools looking for lesser beings to prey upon, Skulvyns are little more than animals. Should be extremely easy to bully or bluff.
Advantages: Well, I like the wounding properties of the tail lashes, as Skulvyns can fire off four of them a round, and those wounds add up. They're decent in melee for their level. The slow aura is handy, too.
Disadvantages: Unfortunately, the slow aura has a pitifully low DC. On land, they are extremely sluggish.
Final Evaluation: A niche pick, mostly for aquatic campaigns. As long as you summon them near your enemies, their slow aura and wounding tail lashes might make for an effective choice, but my gut instinct is to give 'em a pass.

Wastrilith
How to get it: SM IX or GPB
Fluff: Like Myrmyxicuses, Wastriliths are lords of the seas and waterways of the Abyss. They seem to be lesser lords, and are likely subservient to their betters. Wastriliths have a nasty habit of forcing others to serve them, and have developed the ability to deceive summoners easily. They really like pirates for some reason?
Advantages: Blargh. Not much, especially at this level. Okay SLAs. Decent mobility, even on land.
Disadvantages: Um. They can immediately break a summon with an opposed Wisdom check. If you're a wizard summoner, you're absolutely screwed. Even if you're a cleric, they're still not worth the risk. Crappy melee.
Notable SLAs: Control Water, Blasphemy, Wall of Ice, and Telekinesis at will, plus Symbol (any) 3/day.
Final Evaluation: No, no, no, no, no, Even without considering anything else, I still balk at the Break Summoning ability. But pretty much everything else sucks, too. Paaaasss. Pass so hard.
Ghostwalk
Artaaglith
How to get it: SM VI or or LPB
Fluff: Servants of Orcus who live to create undead abominations and guide them into battle, Artaaglith are necromantic clerics extraordinaire. Offer them the opportunity to create undead armies for their foul master (a dubious act on your part) and they might serve you. Heaven forbid your purposes and Orcus' align, however.
Advantages: They cast as a 5th level cleric and have a decent array of SLAs. Ghostwalk doesn't give them a spell list, so their cleric spell choices are potentially up to you. They can actually turn undead, which can come in handy.
Disadvantages: Disappointing in melee with a rather middling Con score, Artaaglith are really only useful for their clerical casting.
Notable SLAs: Animated Dead, Cause Fear, and Stinking Cloud 1/day.
Final Evaluation: They're certainly decent for their level, and if you need some clerical backup or a quick squadron of undead, they're a nice choice. Still, they're not very good at anything else. In a campaign heavy on undead, they can be quite useful - in other campaigns, they're still decent, but their strengths aren't being utilized effectively.
Manual of the Planes
Uridezu
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VI or PB
Fluff: Demonic errand-boys, Uridezu have an affinity with rats and are commonly found on the Material Plane. They are apparently desperate to please their masters and will go to any length to serve (a nice bonus for you).
Advantages: Um... they have a whip for a tail? They can paralyze, at least.
Disadvantages: Boo to them not having Sneak Attack. Or any legitimate method of dealing damage in melee. To be honest, Uridezu basically suck. Pathetic AC (15!?). Poor HP. For a rogue-like summon, they have really crappy skills, too!
Notable SLAs: Unholy Blight 1/day.
Final Evaluation: There's simply nothing to recommend them to anyone, unless you somehow need to befriend rats. They suck at basically everything. Stay far, far, far away. One of the worst summons yet. Fiendish Codex I keeps them at CR 6, which I think is a mistake. They're really more like CR 3.
Book of Vile Darkness
Shadow Demon
Fluff: Shadow demons are incorporeal creatures formed out of the very evil essence of the Abyss itself. They rarely obey others, preferring to serve their own incalculable whims. They often choose to serve mortals, however, if they are offered the chance to harvest a great many soul - but they'll likely want to harvest yours as well.
Advantages: First off - Magic Jar! This spell is awesome. I do so love jumping around from foe to foe, causing havoc and mayhem while preventing any of them from knowing just what the hell is going on. They get +4 to just about everything wihle in darkness, which is a nice bit of scale-tipping. Quick and mobile, with a perfect fly speed. Phenomenal Hide and Move Silently.
Disadvantages: While the Vile damage aspect of their attacks are nice, they don't do a whole lot of damage. Awful light sensitivity. Quite fragile, too.
Notable SLAs: Magic Jar! And a whole bunch of Darkness abilities.
Final Evaluation: Lots of fun. They make consummate ambushers with their darkness abilities, and when in doubt, use Magic Jar. A few shadow demons possessing nearly all of your enemies at once and forcing them to all demolish each other is a sight to be seen. An excellent choice for general mayhem.
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Cerebrilith
Fluff: These psionic demons are really only brought into the fold when needed to combat mortal psions - otherwise, they spend their time dissecting brains and fortifying their own psychic strength. They love to attack intelligent foes, so if you can offer them a powerful wizard or psion as a target, they might be inclined to obey. Just don't betray your own intelligence to them.
Advantages: A host of interesting PLAs make the Cerebrilith primarily a psionic caster. They're reasonably durable.
Disadvantages: Awful in any situation not involving psionics. A rather high CHA (21).
Notable SLAs: Id Insinuation, Ego Whip, Mind Thrust, Brain Lock, Mind Probe, Psionic Domination, and Ectoplasmic Form all as PLAs.
Final Evaluation: Well, they're really your only option for a psionic caster. They're quite good at what they do, however. A niche pick unless psionics are a major part of your campaign - then they're bumped up to good choice.
Miniatures Handbook
Abyssal Eviscerator
Fluff: Surprisingly intelligent (relatively) bruisers who roam in Abyssal warbands, Eviscerators are large and in charge. So to speak. Actually, you're in charge. Of them. Because they're weak and kind of dumb.
Advantages: Um. They do damage? They do actually have a decent attack bonus.
Disadvantages: Weak damage for the level (Nashrou are still better), they also have no DR, hardly any abilities.
Final Evaluation: Like the Carnage Demon, they're built for one purpose (combat) and then aren't very good at that purpose. A boring choice with little to recommend it.
Lost Empires of Faerun
Ghour
Fluff: Servants of the minotaur lord Baphomet, Ghours run rampant through labyrinths and underground passages and ruins. They're big and intimidating, but they lack subtlety or finesse - things you'd better have in spades.
Advantages: Passable melee and a hefty grapple bonus, Ghours are made for close-quarters combat. They can emit a noxious cloud of strength-draining gas or emit an stunning roar. For a supposed bruiser, they have some nice SLAs, though often just to make themselves better bruisers (Righteous Might? Oh yeah).
Disadvantages: Not really a lot to dissuade from using it, actually. I'm a fan of Ghours. Their damage is a little underwhelming, I suppose, and they have poor reflexes and reactions.
Notable SLAs: Confusion, Maze, and Righteous Might 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Ghours are a great choice for bruisers. While the Jarilith is used when you need pure raw damage, Ghours should be used when you need a little more situational control - their SLAs give them an extra edge in combat. Between their stun, Maze, and Confusion, they can easily lock down a battlefield for you.
Underdark
Baphitaur
Fluff: Tieflings warped by magic to take on minotaur ancestry, Baphitaurs hate pretty much everything - the magical experimentation that turned them into the abominations that they are especially. They despise mortals and demons with equal fervor.
Advantages: A damaging charge attack that, combined with Augment Summoning and their Rage ability, can end up quite brutal. Hefty damage with their greataxe. Good AC for their level, too. Oddly enough, a decent tracker and scout with +8 in Search, Spot, Listen, and Survival.
Disadvantages: They invest all their damage potential into one or two attacks at a middling bonus. Not all that durable, with middling Con and no DR.
Notable SLAs: Darkness 1/day.
Final Evaluation: They're no Nashrou (still the golden standard of SM III), but they're a decent choice. A couple of them surrounding an enemy and charging in can really rack up the damage.
Drow of the Underdark
Draegloth
How to get it: None by Raw, likely SM V or LPB
Fluff: Deformed demonic half-breeds between drow and demonic servants of Lolth, Draegloth are favored servants of drow houses and matriarchs. They are vicious and cunning, and binding them might incur the wrath of at least minor drow, not to mention bigger players up to Lolth herself.
Advantages: Decent enough damage (on par with the Bar-lgura) in melee, and a few handy options between their SLAs and their necklace of fireballs, type II.
Disadvantages: Poor AC. Fairly fragile. Not that much better than just having summoned a drow, and who wants to do that?
Notable SLAs: Darkness 4/day, plus Desecrate, Faerie Fire, Unholy Blight, and Dancing Lights 1/day.
Final Evaluation: A big fat eh. Unimpressive, though they can throw down a few decent fireballs as limited artillery. Not distinctive enough for my tastes, as their options are limited and they're not overwhelmingly good at any one of them.
Elder Evils
Golothoma
CR: 16
Fluff: Golothoma are either minions or byproducts (it's not quite clear, even to experts) of Sertrous, an ancient serpentine demon lord. They exist only to feed, though they need no nourishment - they only desire to consume living flesh through their twisted shadows. They are quite unintelligent, and only speak enough Abyssal to make a hideous mockery of even that tongue.
Advantages: 8d6 acid damage on a primary attack's not bad (it also persists, doing 4d6 on the next round), With Dimensional Reach, their secondary attacks can be made within 120' and can be freely split between melee and ranged at no risk. Quite difficult to kill with loads of HP, Fast Healing, and high DR. But perhaps their scariest ability is their 1d12 CON drain for any creature that touches its shadow. As a Supernatural ability, it takes a standard action to activate rather than being a passive ability, but anything with its reach (15') must save or take the damage. Ouch.
Disadvantages: The secondary claw attacks are weak, 1d10+13 damage. As with all other Obyrith, a debilitating madness aura comes along for the ride, but that's what you memorized Mind Blank for, right?
Final Evaluation: No SLAs and a maddening aura make the Golothoma a fairly poor pick for a bind. They won't do you much good in the long run, either, as by the time you can bind one, the CON drain isn't much use unless you're using it to take on hoards of mooks. Decent in melee, but you've got better options.
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
Cambion
Fluff: Cambions are basically tieflings Mk. II - they are the product of a union between a demon and a planetouched, mostly a tanar'ri. They're basically three quarters fiend. They are cruel and rapacious but are outcasts from both mortal and demonic worlds, often serving their fathers as lieutenants or assassins.
Advantages: A decent selection of stealth-based skills and some reasonably damaging attacks. Their penchant for debilitating poison works in your favor. They can assume a humanoid shape to infiltrate various societies, and they have the rather dubious advantage of not taking an AC penalty on Hide or Move Silently.
Disadvantages: Middling damage and rather suspect defenses. Their SLAs are fairly lackluster as well. Low WIS makes them susceptible to charms.
Notable SLAs: Pick two: Detect Magic, Fear, and Mirror Image at will, or Invisibility and Levitate 7/day
Final Evaluation: I'm not entirely sold on their combat prowess, but their poisons can be relatively handy and they're expert infiltrators of mortal society. Just keep them out of any social situations with their awful, awful Charisma.

Carnevus
Fluff: Twisted offspring of fiends and lamia, Carnevus are more than your average half-fiend. They're blessed with supernatural quickness and dexterity, with two sets of arms and two mouths. They're particularly keen on bloodshed and the devouring of flesh; they're not so in tune with the hedonism and perversity of other fiends.
Advantages: Holy crap, what a selection. First off: they are truly metamagic masters. They get an automatic quicken on one spell a round, plus an automatic maximize on every spell they cast. This makes them casters and artillery extraordinaire. They can cast tenth/eleventh level spells, technically - a quickened, maximized fireball or ice storm is certainly up there. If you're willing to hold off on one spell a round, they get an automatic countermagic attempts as a swift action, making them excellent against other mages. Plus, they can hold their own in combat with their expert multiweapon fighting, though honestly if you put a Carnevus into combat, you're doing it wrong. Consummate magic users with decent UMD and other magical skills.
Disadvantages: Their HP count is somewhat disappointing, but that's a minor gripe. Additionally, the save DCs on their SLAs are far from spectacular - don't depend too much on the full amount. They are heavily front-loaded, too, and run out of spells quickly.
Notable SLAs: A vast array of blasty mage spells, though they're limited to one pick per spell level and only 3/day for each. 1: Charm Person, Disguise Self, Sleep and Magic Missile. 2: Invisibility, Acid Arrow, Spider Climb, or Web. 3: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Vampiric Touch, or Hold Person. 4: Black Tentacles, Ice Storm, Shadow Conjuration, or Lesser Globe of Invulnerability.
Final Evaluation: Basically the best choice in the Summon Monster line for straight-up blasting. Free quickened/maximized fireballs are nothing to sneer at. That's a debilitating amount of damage, even at such high levels. At SM VIII, you can feasibly summon 4 of them at a time if you get lucky, each throwing down 96 damage (before Reflex saves or resistances, though). Their selection of blasting spells is varied enough that you can get around most resistances - you can freely choose between fire, lightning, force, or cold/bludgeoning damage. I can't recommend the Carnevus highly enough. One of, if not my absolute favorite SM VIII. Hell, even a favorite SM IX (and any sane DM should put this summon at the SM IX level). My only caveat is the low save DCs, but the free maximize helps to mitigate that while offering consistent, predictable damage. I don't normally recommend blasting, but the Carnevus allows you to throw down vast fistfuls of damage while still retaining your own casting. Five stars.

Oculus
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX or GPB
Role: Assassin/Manipulator
Fluff: Strange demons that don't quite mesh with either the obyrith or the tanar'ri hierarchies, Oculus demon are said to be the former servants of the Queen of Chaos. They despise tanar'ri and refuse to allow themselves to become subservient to any tanar'ri demon lord. However, they aren't quite obyrith - Oculus demons occupy a strange middle ground in the Abyssal hierarchy. Use this identity crisis to your advantage. They're also said to enjoy the taste of flesh and the larva of giant insects.
Advantages: Excellent senses. Extremely mobile - 70 ft. fly speed with perfect maneuverability. A hefty attack bonus with their unholy longswords. Their eye rays (free action!) are not only quite damaging but extremely debilitating, with status effects ranging from sickened to panicked to unconscious. A paralyzing gaze, decent SLAs, and the ability to be healed by negative energy make these an excellent tactical choice, not to mention their excellent stealth and rogueish skill investments.
Disadvantages: Middling melee damage (especially useless against non-good creatures) and a frighteningly low Will save. Their paralyzing gaze is at a disappointing DC.
Notable SLAs: Greater Arcane Sight, Blindness/Deafness, True Seeing, Vampiric Touch, and Invisibility at will, plus Chaos Hammer and Mirror Image 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Probably the best choice for an Assassin-type at the SM IX level, Oculus demons are not only maneuverable and quick, but they can really lay down the law with their debuffing eye rays. They are unparalleled scouts, as well, what with their various forms of sight. Have them go invisible, check out your foes' magic auras, and report back to you (thanks, Malkavon!). I'm a big fan - they can dance around your enemies while hitting them with a series of crippling status effects. In a pinch, they can be effective in melee, though that's hardly their strength. An excellent choice with plenty of options.
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Cataboligne
Fluff: The Cataboligne looks consummately demonic, but has a seductive feminine voice, which it uses to captivate potential victims. They are few in number, having been hunted down to near extinction by the tanar'ri. Many of them avoided such a demise because they had been summoned and bound as guardians of treasure, usually in wizardly towers and dungeons.
Advantages: Their paralyzing gaze and captivating voice are decent control abilities. A useful array of beguiling SLAs, too, plus at will polymorphing into humanoid forms. Decent flight and blindsight. Slightly higher-than-average CON and HP for their level.
Disadvantages: Awful damage for this level. Their control abilities eat up actions like nobody's business - they have to spend a standard action every round just to continue their charm. Relatively low regeneration and DR.
Notable SLAs: Minor Image, Dispel Magic, Hallucinatory Terrain, and Mage Armor at will, Fear and Magic Missile 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Not much in the way of melee or casting, though illusions are really only bounded by your creativity. Too much of a niche pick, though they might be handy in infiltration missions - but why bother using them when the Yochlol can do the same thing a level or two lower?
Savage Tide
Belairon (Filth Demon)
HD: 21
How to get it: Maybe SM IX, but you can't bind it unless you have both Improved Calling and Infernal Bargainer
Fluff: These torrents of living slime and wretched filth are the cast-off dregs of demonic cities and societies, corrupting and polluting everything around them out of instinct and dim-witted barbarism. They do however respect power, and have no heed for their personal safety: "They willingly fling themselves into danger, selling their lives for the chance to kill."
Advantages: Decent sickening attacks at a good bonus and a formidable Fort DC. The acid breath weapon is surprisingly powerful - 14d6 is not bad at all, especially when you can potentially summon two Belairons. They have a super-debuffer aura around them that just cripples your enemies. Extremely high hit dice for their CR makes them a poor bind, but a durable summon. Blindsight is great with your various cloud spells.
Disadvantages: No SLAs to speak of at this level is pretty disappointing. Their damage is subpar. They have a vulnerability to sonic, but that rarely comes into play.
Notable SLAs: None
Final Evaluation: The extreme disparity between the HD and the CR makes them a conundrum in the retrieval department, but I find Filth Demons to be an effective melee choice if only for their debilitating debuffs and acidic breath. Not worth the bind, though (mainly because most characters won't be able to) - stick to summoning only, and then only if your DM allows it. But if he does, summon away - at SM IX, they're excellent choices.

Orlath (note: two versions exist, I'm using the 3.5 one here)
Fluff: These twisted mockeries resemble nothing more than the combination of Demogorgon and a marilith - snake-like creatures split down the middle into two torsos, each with six arms and a shrieking baboon's head. They are quite persuasive and can assume other forms, making them expert infiltrators.
Advantages: How do twelve +1 scimitars with Improved Critical sound? Quite good? I thought so. The Orlath has a grand total of seventeen attacks per round, all at a respectable bonus. Each scimitar swing does a point of vile damage, too. Plus, Orlaths have a useful array of SLAs, focused mainly on enchantment and divination.
Disadvantages: You'll only be doing a maximum of 1d8+8 damage with the scimitars, unfortunately. They don't have the elemental resistances that tanar'ri do, either, with only a hint of fire resistance and nothing else. Not very mobile, either, with a max speed of 30', though they can cast Fly.
Notable SLAs: Dispel Magic, Locate Creature, Locate Object, Fly, and Discern Lies at will, plus Glibness, Move Earth, and Stone Shape 3/day, plus Demand and Greater Scrying 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Oof. A veritable whirlwind of crimson spray and steely death, with subtlety and guile to spare. SLAs that no other demons have, excellent social skills. And at 18 CHA, they're a cinch to bind. Heartily recommended. Dragon Magazine
Anzu (Issue #329)
Fluff: These servants of Pazuzu are easily tempted by the allure of magic items. They are more than willing to serve as mounts and enforcers of powerful mortals, as long as their rewards for such service include copious amounts of magic items.
Advantages: Masters of Telekinesis. A decent array of SLAs. Six attacks a round, with a poison bite that is particularly devastating. Extremely mobile with a rapid flight speed. Anzus can really do it all.
Disadvantages: Their poisonous breath causes WIS damage against anything that occupies their space, limiting their utility as mounts. A high Sense Motive skill and a CHA of 23 makes them a difficult prospect.
Notable SLAs: Greater Invisility, Displacement, and Telekinesis at will, plus True Seeing, Project Image, and Greater Magic Fang 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Despite the risks involved with their poisonous breath, I like the Anzu quite a bit. They can do a bit of everything, though they aren't specialized in any particular area.

Ankshar (Issue #341)
Fluff: Ankshars are dangerous, wild, and unpredictable. They were once magical experiments done by Baphomet to create an intimidating mount, but they proved to be too unruly to handle. Still, they are among his favored servants. Relatively unintelligent and easily tricked.
Advantages: Five attacks in a full attack, Ankshars also have a disease-ridden bite and a wisdom-draining gaze. They can easily trip with their tail attack, too. Surprisingly high stealth skills for a gigantic deformed flying bull.
Disadvantages: Lackluster damage and poor mobility.
Final Evaluation: Eh. Very little options outside of combat, and they're far from melee monsters. I'd pass on the Ankshar - it's just not worth it.

Caligrosto (Issue #360)
Role: Brute/Assassin
Fluff: These loumara are sadistic, violent spirits that exist for nothing more than the sensation of cutting and slicing flesh in battle. They possess swords in order to do so, and create fiendish mirrors of enemies in order to unnerve them. They'll likely stick by your side as long as you let them tear and rend your foes, but be warned that they frequently turn on the wielders of their possessed blades.
Advantages: Quite damaging for their level with their keen greatswords. Fiendish Shade ups their capabilities even more, as long as they concentrate on one foe in particular. Reflective DR is very handy against foes with slashing weapons. Natural invisibility, a perfect fly speed, and incorporeality makes them peerless scouts, able to dart through walls and doors to see what you're going to run into.
Disadvantages: Only one quibble, but it's a major one. Whether or not they actually start out armed is debatable - if you have to lug around greatswords for them to possess, they become much less useful - they can't even attack on their own until they've drawn blood in someone else's hands. I dislike having to hand my party members blades and saying, "Hey guys, go ahead and attack with these. Once you do, they'll become possessed by demons, wrench themselves free from your grasp, and go to town. Then you can draw your regular weapons." Wastes time, wastes actions. Generally a poor, poor idea.
Final Evaluation: If your DM lets you summon these in a generic fiendish shade mode, wielding their greatswords, I find them to be a great summon. If you have to jump through hoops to get them working, I'd recommend against them except in cases where an invisible, incorporeal scout will be handy.

Incubus (Issue #353)
Fluff: Incubi are servants of Malcanthet and the male counterpart to succubi. They are sensual, sexual beings, but they do not take their conquests through guile or seduction, but rather force. As unpleasant as it sounds, they're basically demonic rapists.
Advantages: 2d6 sneak attack damage is quite helpful at this level, plus a decent attack bonus. A helpful array of enchanting SLAs, plus decent skills.
Disadvantages: Middling damage and AC, and their awful grapple modifier makes their Wisdom-draining kiss difficult to use.
Notable SLAs: Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, and Disguise Self at will, Modify Memory 1/day.
Final Evaluation: A middle-of-the-road pick if ever there was one. While they're not supremely effective in combat, they do well when ganging up on weaker foes. Their SLAs can turn them into interesting infiltrators - Modify Memory is a spell with a wide range of possibilities, and they get it at a relatively low level. A hesitant thumbs up, but a thumbs up nonetheless.

Manitou (Issue #359)
Fluff: Manitou are strange loumara that thrive on the corruption and destruction of nature. In many ways, they are like twisted reflections of druids, raining death and ruin on the natural and sylvan worlds.
Advantages: They can possess animals, fey, and plants, which can see situational utility. Their Rend Nature ability can be useful against non-outsider/construct/undead types, and especially damaging against the aforementioned "natural" subtypes. Six attacks per round and a host of useful SLAs. Incorporeality is always a nice bonus.
Disadvantages: Just pathetic damage for this level. Their abilities are hardly useful by the time you can summon one - who's fighting fey or plants at level 18? CHA of 27 makes them extremely difficult to deal with.
Notable SLAs: Dominate Animal, Entangle, Greater Magic Fang, and Plant Growth at will, plus Call Lightning Storm, Control Winds 3/day. Shambler 1/day if you bind it.
Final Evaluation: A weird pick, really. While their nature-based abilities may be a useful niche pick, there's very little to recommend the Manitou in a general sense. I'd stay away unless they're going to be extremely relevant.

Mavawhan (Issue #345)
Role: Caster/Assassin
Fluff: These ice demons are inhabitants of the Iron Wastes that reject the lordship of Kostchtchie. They spend their time scheming about how to take back the layer of the Abyss that was taken from them by the demon lord's frost giant minions.
Advantages: A nice selection of frost-based SLAs. A decent attack schedule, passable mobility (60' fly speed), and a useful array of rogueish skills. Plus, they exude an aura that penalizes all saves against cold-based attacks, and it doesn't offer a save.
Disadvantages: Middling damage. Their chilling poison is too weak and too protracted to really be helpful. The save DCs on their SLAs are somewhat low.
Notable SLAs: Wall of Ice, Fog Cloud, Chill Metal, and Telekinesis at will, plus Polar Ray, Ice Storm, and Cone of Cold 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Decent blasters with their ice-based powers, Mavawhans excel at cold damage. However, if you're facing a resistant foe, they quickly become almost useless. Quite useful in an arctic campaign - not as useful but still highly damaging otherwise. I find them handy blasters - not quite Carnevus-level, but certainly close.

Skurchur (Issue #333)
Fluff: While succubi tempt mortals with hedonism and carnal pleasures, skurchur approach them with a more cerebral intent - they act as advisors and counselors to mortals. As minions of Fraz-Urb'luu, of course, their true motives are to spread misery and pain through deception.
Advantages: A useful selection of enchantment-based SLAs. Excellent social skills (one of the few creatures to have such abilities). Four attacks a round.
Disadvantages: Touch of Vacant Beauty is basically a cipher of an ability - you don't get the opportunity to use it on your enemies, and you don't want it done to you. Awful damage and middling HP.
Notable SLAs: Hold Person, Charm Person, Command, and Alter Self (humanoid forms only) at will, plus Lesser Geas and Suggestion 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Skurchurs excel at convincing people to do what they want, whether through deception or persuasion. As you'll likely have banned Enchantment, they fill a gap in your repertoire. They're also capable infiltrators - who suspects the jovial gnome of being a hideous deceptive demon? Still, they find little use outside of that niche, so I can't recommend them wholeheartedly. A succubus is better at the job for just a small increase in summoning level.

Turagathshnee (Issue #312)
Role: Brute/Caster
Fluff: These ugly, toothy demons are servitors of the Ebon Maw, an imprisoned demon lord of hunger. They live to serve him, and always seek to find a way to release him from his entrapment when serving the whims of others. Likely they'll always be playing an angle with you.
Advantages: Decent bite damage, though only with magical enhancement. Their selection of SLAs is certainly quite different from most other demons, and has its merits. Swallow Whole has its uses, as well.
Disadvantages: Just awful DCs on their SLAs. Middling HP, and attack bonus. Suffers from a distinct lack of commitment to a particular role.
Notable SLAs: Cannibalize, Caustic Bile, and Jaws of Adamantine at will, plus Enervation and Whirlwind of Teeth 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Not a great choice. Far from melee supremacy, they're also middling at casting. They're spread too thin, and they end up being a bad idea for both roles.

Uzollru (Issue #349)
CR: 16
Fluff: These colossal aquatic horrors are the heralds and vanguards of Dagon, gigantic and misshapen. These crustacean-like creatures enjoy liquefying living, intelligent beings with their flesh-rotting tentacles and then drinking the remains like a fine wine. They're not very smart, but they're single-mindedly devoted to their predation and vile pleasure.
Advantages: Colossal size. Just all kinds of awful damage - their claws do powerful constriction damage, and they have five tentacle attacks that drain Con. Immense reserves of HP, formidable DR and Fast Healing. A +53 Grapple modifier.
Disadvantages: Any creature within 120 ft of it must save or have its mental stats reduced to 1. That's you, buddy, unless you have Mind Blank on.
Final Evaluation: Very few creatures approach the level of hurt that the Uzollru can lay down. But it's Colossal, Aquatic, and Drives You Insane. Those are three qualities that limit its use significantly. Can you even make a Magic Circle big enough to try to bind it?

Vathugu (Issue #337)
Fluff: These sickening amalgams of goat, crocodile, and fungus are servants of Zuggtmoy, serving their lady in any way they can. However, when such a ruler is absent, they enjoy setting up their own dominions on the Material, sparing those who convert to Zuggtmoy's worship. Still, they hunger constantly and revel in forcing others to do despicable things with their vile control. They do not care for wealth or magic items, instead demanding living sacrifices in return for their service.
Advantages: The Vathugu is a literal puppet master, sending out insidious tendrils that can end up controlling the physical actions of another creature. Very helpful against that dumb brute you're fighting. Their tentacle attacks are brutal, damaging all three of their target's physical stats at once while healing themselves. Supremely durable, with plant immunities. A unique variety of very useful SLAs.
Disadvantages: Try to avoid using the Control Body ability on mages or psions - they can still use spells with no somatic components while being controlled. Another caveat with Control Body: it can only work once per day, though a successful save against it lets you try again. Not a great damager. Not overly mobile and has a poor reflex save.
Notable SLAs: Contagion, Warp Wood, Soften Earth and Stone at will, plus Transmute Rock to Mud and Wall of Thorns 3/day, plus Finger of Death and Control Plants 1/day.
Final Evaluation: I quite like the Vathugu - it's flavorful, different, and full of tactical potential. Who doesn't love having Finger of Death? Unfortunately, the whole "demands living sacrifices" thing might be a significant drawback, but that's technically only for Planar Ally - perhaps Planar Binding is a different story. As a summon, however, it's top shelf.

Verakia (Issue #357)
How to get it: None by RAW, maybe SM IX, most likely GPB
Fluff: These gargantuan beasts are the Abyssal equivalent of a terrestrial apex predator, like the tyrannosaurus. But they make tyrannosauruses wet themselves in fear - they are extremely brutal and take glee in violence and carnage. They are monoliths of destruction, rampaging through jungles and infecting all they see with their murderous fascination. They're not smart enough to want things from you other than the chance to trample over everything they see and tear it into bloody scraps of flesh and bone.
Advantages: Just absolute melee monsters. Even the Balor and the Molydeus have to really struggle to match its damage output. Six vicious attacks, and if they hit with three, the target and everything within 30' of it must save or be stunned. A 16d6 breath weapon, half of which can't be resisted, and if they fail the save they lose CHA. Great DR, HP, and Fast Healing. These things are Super Tanks.
Disadvantages: Like the Uzollru, their Form of Madness is crippling - anybody within 60' or 120' (the entry is inconsistent) who fails the will save immediately becomes a mass-murdering psychopath, rampaging until they starve to death. A very bad thing. But that's why they invented Mind Blank. Easier to use than the Uzollru, too, but they're still Gargantuan - space constraints might eliminate them as a possibility.
Final Evaluation: Mwahahahahaha! These things make me positively giddy with glee. Still, they're going to require 24/7 Mind Blank on all your party members, so there's an element of significant risk involved. Beg, whine, and cry until you can convince your DM to add this to the SM IX list. Even if you have to bind it, get it. The carnage, oh the carnage!
Dragon Compendium
Elemental Demon (air, ash, earth, fire, ice, and water)
CR: 3, 4, 5, 7, 6, and 4
HD: 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 8
How to get it: SM IV, SM V, SM V, SM VI, SM VI, and SM V
Role: Minions
Fluff: These elemental demons are little more than wild Abyssal animals. Only the Ash Demon has any appreciable intelligence - most of them just revel in their primal, fiendish instincts.
Advantages: As a whole, I find nearly the whole lot of them to be substandard choices. The Air Demon has a great fly speed and a decent Air Blast, however.
Disadvantages: They're mostly pathetic. The Ash Demon and the Water Demon in particular are very weak for their CR with questionable abilities. The Fire Demon is a lesser Palrethee (and the Palrethee isn't very good). The Earth Demon is big, dumb, and not that powerful for a brutish type. The Ice Demon is a Two-Weapon Fighter with a weak Ice Shard ability - 3d6 damage after 2d6 rounds? Your enemies will be dead by then!
Final Evaluation: The Air Demon is a decent choice because of its low CR and aerial mobility - flying summons at low levels are somewhat rare. Not a fan of any of the others. Pass on them - you'll be glad you did.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-12, 11:50 PM
...You are my hero.

I love the malconvoker, and once wrote up a guide (for myself, mostly :smalltongue:) on how to automatically bind any demon.

Im going to go and make a malconvoker now...

FoE
2009-08-13, 01:09 AM
The Face of Evil's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Your Demon

So you've chanted the rites, sacrificed a villager or two and summoned a demonic servant to aid you in your villainous schemes. But when you're not ordering your demon to attack hapless parties of adventurers, what else do you DO with it? Here's a few practical tips:

1) There's no such thing as too many demons. Summon as many demons as you can. Invite your demons to gate in their compratiots. Demons are easy to manage for anyone even in large numbers.

2) Demons respond well to intimidation. Insult your demon servants frequently. Threaten to starve them or to strike them down if they displease you. A demon will quickly be cowed by such tactics, and you will have won a faithful ally that will serve you to the end of your days.

3) If bullying doesn't bring your demon in line, show that you're not afraid of them. Invite the demon into your personal quarters and put aside any magical defences you may maintain. Turn your back on the demon and pretend that it's not there. Order the demon to watch over you while you sleep.

4) Demons and fiends in general are notoriously stupid, so if they offer you some sort of bargain or invite you to sign a contract, take them up on their offer. These simple creatures can barely comprehened the concept of a fair exchange; even if the conditions of the bargain seem unfavourable, there's no doubt that a deal with a demon will benefit you far more than the fiend himself!

Gnorman
2009-08-13, 01:14 AM
The Face of Evil's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Your Demon

These are all fantastic ideas. Great work, Face!

Gnorman
2009-08-14, 06:13 AM
Here's the vast majority of devils; more are on the way.

DEVILS

Monster Manual I
Barbed
How to get it: SM IX or PB
Fluff: The Hamatula is a bodyguard and treasure guardian for the devils, loyally and fearlessly defending their charges. Hamatula are cruel and sadistic, but follow their orders explicitly (like most devils).
Advantages: They do plenty of damage with their grapple and barbs. Decent SLAs, with a good amount of variety. Somewhat stealthy.
Disadvantages: Relatively poor damage and attack bonus. Only two attacks? Sad. For a supposed grappler, too, they have an abysmal grapple modifier. Scorching Rays don't cut it at this point, either, especially when they can only fire two rays.
Notable SLAs: Scorching Ray, Major Image, and Hold Person at will, plus Order's Wrath and Unholy Blight 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Bah. I don't think Hamatulas are at all competitive for SM IX. Poor in melee, poor as casters. A serious disappointment, really.

Bearded
How to get it: SM V or LPB
Fluff: Barbazu are shock troops and infantry legionnaires in infernal armies. In downtime, they serve as guards and sentries - they're loyal and committed to their duty, which they carry out with frenzied ferocity. Aggressive and eager to join battle, they're easily deceived to your side.
Advantages: Between your Augment Summoning feat, Deceptive Summons, and their Frenzy, they're excellent melee combatants. Their wounding glaives are handy against many foes. Low Sense Motives make them easy to deceive.
Disadvantages: Actually, very little - Barbazu are quite good at what they do, but serve little to no purpose in a non-combat situation.
Final Evaluation: Thumbs up! They're not completely devastating in melee (at this level, fiendish giant crocodiles are the gold standard), but their intelligence makes them much easier to use tactically. You know exactly what you're getting with one, but what you're getting is a hell of a bruiser.

Bone
How to get it: SM VII or PB
Fluff: Osyluths are the secret police and informers of the infernal world. They maintain extensive records on the activities of other devils for potential blackmail and extortion. They hate all other creatures and don't hesitate to bring their full wrath to bear. Harder to trick than some, but offer them to chance to destroy hated enemies of the Hells, real or imagined.
Advantages: Ooof! A CR 9 creature at SM VII? Nice deal. A decent attack schedule with a debilitating poison. A wide array of skills and SLAs, plus a Fear aura. A lot to love here.
Disadvantages: Little to none to speak of. Their melee damage isn't great for this level.
Notable SLAs: Dimensional Anchor, Wall of Ice, Major Image, Fly, and Invisibility, all at will.
Final Evaluation: No reservations here. A great bargain for the level, and a very effective combatant. While they're capable in melee, they really shine when using their SLAs for tactical control. Wall of Ice is particularly useful - divide and conquer. A good choice even if it was a level higher - as is, it's fantastic.

Chain
How to get it: SM VI or PB
Fluff: Kytons are devilish torturers, specializing in the torment and punishment of living souls. They are surprisingly human-like, much more so than most other fiends. They are wrapped in chains and have their own city in the Hells, called the Jangling Hiter. Not especially intelligent, and they love to cause pain, so should be an easy bargaining process.
Advantages: Oh, Dancing Chains. You make me happy. Four attacks a round, reasonably devastating. Kytons are fine melee combatants, but Dancing Chains makes them superb. Just remember, you have to supply the chains yourself. Also, Kytons have a nonexistent Sense Motive. Immune to cold,. Also Craft (blacksmith) at +17, just in case you have to give some metalwork a cursory glance for some bizarre reason.
Disadvantages: If you don't bring those chains, kytons drop in usefulness by quite a bit. Really kind of one-hit wonders. I really wish they had Combat Reflexes or Improved Trip.
Final Evaluation: Not the most damaging melee choice around, their chains nonetheless give you reach and control over a battlefield. A bit one-dimensional, but still a good idea overall.

Erinyes
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII or PB
Fluff: Erinyes are the remnants of angels who fell, retaining their basic form but in a foul reversal. They are infernal succubi, basically, the concubines, scouts, and ranged combatants of the Hells. Slightly more charming than most devils, but they're expendable and often vulnerable in the hellish hierarchy, so a chance to get out of Dodge for a few days might appeal to them.
Advantages: A decent fly speed combined with their flaming composite longbows makes them effective ranged combatants, as they can flit above the fray and pick off enemies with ease. Their Entangle ability might find use if you want to drop an enemy from a great height. Permanent True Seeing. I also fully support any creature with Charm Monster at will!
Disadvantages: If they get stuck in melee, they're nowhere near as effective. Very few SLAs, though the ones they get are useful.
Notable SLAs: Charm Monster, Minor Image, and Unholy Blight at will.
Final Evaluation: As I've mentioned with the Arrow Demon, ranged combatants are rare in the SM line, so anything you can get is not a bad idea - but the Arrow Demon is also strictly better at its job than the Erinyes, with four more attacks a round with higher damage. But the Erinyes has mobility and flight, which may be more tempting to you.

Hellcat
Role: Brute/Assassin
Fluff: Naturally invisible, bezekira enjoy lying in ambush to either tear mortals apart or convince them to do evil deeds - they enjoy playing games of wits, which may be their saving grace when you summon them. Riddles and philosophical discussions with the invisible fiendish lion? Why not?
Advantages: Natural invisibility's about it. Scouting duty, perhaps?
Disadvantages: Terrible melee attack bonus and damage for a supposed melee creature. Awful grapple, low HP. Not at all a competitive summon.
Final Evaluation: First things first: boo on the SM/CR split here - SM VIII gets you a CR 7 creature? That's crap. Why use this when the fiendish dire tiger at the same level is better in practically every way? Pass, pass, pass.

Horned
Fluff: Cornugons are elite forces in infernal armies and lordly retinues, standing tall and powerful. They tower over other devils, and instill even the hardiest denizen of the Hells with terror and grudging respect. They rarely retreat from a battle, preferring to whirl their spiked chains around to cause as much devastation as possible. Lure them in with the promise of unholy frenzy and limb-rending opportunities.
Advantages: Their spiked chains make them excellent controllers, given that they have a respectable attack bonus and can stun with every hit (DC 29 to negate!). They can quite literally tear things apart in melee, both your opponents and their weapons with their wounding tails and Improved Sunder. A diverse array of skills, a handful of SLAs and a fear aura make it multipurpose, too.
Disadvantages: Not very mobile, though they can fly. Their SLAs fall into two categories, mainly: various anti-good and anti-chaos spells, which you won't find all that useful, and blasting spells, which is good for you since you banned Evocation (or, at least, you should have), but they're not great spells to begin with. The fear aura has a limited radius. Formidable Sense Motive and CHA scores.
Notable SLAs: Persistent Image at will, plus Fireball and Lightning Bolt 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Unholy reavers in melee, horned devils are nevertheless somewhat poor outside of their milieu, though they can create a rather respectable fireworks show. But they're just one HD over Planar Binding, which makes me curse and rue them, as by them time you can bind them, you might also be able to grab a Balor or a Molydeus instead.

Ice
Fluff: Gelugons are a breed apart amongst devils, refusing to associate with other devils beyond strict command structure - they have one distinct role in the infernal hierarchy, and they serve it with relentless loyalty and almost no deviation. They are commanders of legions and troops of lesser devils, but are capable of summoning a feral bloodlust for battle when needed or found alone. Likely to chafe under your control.
Advantages: Fantastic summons, first off. Wicked melee damage, plus the numbing cold from their attacks slows your foes. 10' reach and Combat Reflexes. They make excellent controllers and blasters with their ice spells, and can project a nasty fear aura. They get any three knowledge skills, too, so shore up a few weaknesses in your book-learning. Durable, quick, and just plain nasty.
Disadvantages: Against foes with cold resistance, they quickly become much less useful in the blasting department. Not much else - Gelugons have few chinks in their chitinous armor.
Notable SLAs: Cone of Cold, Ice Storm, and Wall of Ice at will!
Final Evaluation: One of the very few summons that might make me consider spending a level nine spell, the Gelugon can give you rounds and rounds of divisive control, debilitating melee, and tactical flexibility. I prefer to bind them, as I enjoy them enough to want to keep them around longer.

Imp
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM III or LPB
Role: Minion/Assassin
Fluff: Like quasits, imps are tiny fiendish creatures usually used as familiars by unscrupulous wizards. On their home plane, they are messengers, spies and schemers, abused by most everything above them in the Hells' chain of command. Notoriously fawning and servile - just show them how much more powerful you are than them.
Advantages: Good stealth and mobility as well as decent ranks in other skills. A DEX-draining poison, Fast Healing, and an alternate form ability make it a better combatant than it looks, but not by much.
Disadvantages: Weak damage, even in their alternate forms. Clearly not a combat choice.
Notable SLAs: Detect Magic, Detect Invisibility at will, Suggestion 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Good familiars, but not great summons. Poor in combat, but useful in more subtle ways. Not as good when they're only around for a round/CL.

Lemure
CR: 1
How to get it: SM II
Fluff: Lemures are mindless shells, the forms that evil mortal souls take on when they first arrive in the Hells. They have no capacity for communication or control, only possessing a primal desire to tear anything they encounter apart. No need to bargain - just command.
Advantages: Decent low-level tanks with their DR.
Disadvantages: Just about everything here - they're mindless, hard to control, not at all damaging, and have no abilities. But then, this is SM II - what did you expect?
Final Evaluation: Well, if you're really in the mood to have a lump of agonized flesh hanging around to mob your enemies and maybe take a few hits for you, by all means. But they're not going to be doing anything else.

Pit Fiend
CR: 20
Fluff: Pit fiends are the infernal elite, second only to the Dukes and Princes of Hell. They are true paragons of evil power, being both cunning, strong, and influential. A Pit Fiend is a difficult creature to bind into service - not only will they likely resist your efforts, but they will make you pay dearly for the audacity. Tread carefully.
Advantages: Just straight-up brutal in melee, with a disease-inducing bite that also includes a poison with the secondary effect of death. They're also excellent casters, having a wide variety of abilities that let you carpet bomb your enemies or go at them with a bit more guile.
Disadvantages: Just as difficult to bind as a Balor, but poorer selection in the casting department. Wish is problematic - any DM worth his salt either won't let you use it (oh, this Pit Fiend already used his yearly allowance) or he will twist your Wish so hard the room will spin. Don't get cheesy - just don't use Wish.
Notable SLAs: Create Undead, Fireball, Mass Hold Monster, Persistent Image, and Power Word Stun at will, plus Meteor Swarm 1/day.
Final Evaluation: What's not to love here? Like most of the upper-level binds, the Pit Fiend will basically just mess up everything around you. Still, I prefer the Balor because they have slightly better SLAs. But the Pit Fiend is nothing to sneer at - they're just as capable in melee, and they can just kill you with their festering bites.
Monster Manual II
Advespa
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IV
Fluff: Advespas are flying scouts in the Hells, confining themselves strictly to their hierarchies. They can assume pleasing female humanoid shapes, and often do so to entrap mortals. Nevertheless, they're not exceptionally bright or sly, and can easily be duped.
Advantages: A large flyer with four attacks on a full attack and Flyby Attack is a great deal for the level. They also have a decent poison and some niche SLA picks. Regeneration, high HP, and DR also make them rather durable.
Disadvantages: Actually, not a whole lot - the advespa has a lot going for it. Low skills, I suppose.
Notable SLAs: Alter Self, Pyrotechnics, Produce Flame, and Command 3/day.
Final Evaluation: I quite like them - they're powerful, mobile melee combatants and they have enough SLA options available to them to be effective in other ways. Even without their other abilities, I'd summon them just for their combat prowess. A stellar choice.

Marrash
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V-VI or PB
Fluff: Marrashi are winged gnoll-like creatures from the Hells that thrive on spreading disease and filth. They attempt to not only kill their summoners, but to turn them into more marrashi with their taklif arrows. Beware!
Advantages: An excellent fly speed and decent ranged attack make them good with hit-and-run tactics.
Disadvantages: Disease is not how you want to deal with your enemies, and the marrash does rather disappointing damage with its attacks, so they're not likely to end up killing anything.
Notable SLAs: Protection from Arrows at will.
Final Evaluation: They're mobile, and that's about it. They won't be heavy hitters, nor do they have the artillery powers of an Erinyes or an Arrow Demon. Give them a pass.
Monster Manual V
Gulthir
How to get it: SM VI or LPB
Fluff: Gulthirs are at once police and punishment in the hellish hierarchy. Higher devils are transformed (painfully) into gulthirs when they displease their masters, and so most gulthirs are desperate to regain their favor. They, in turn, can inflict torment on other devils by devouring and digesting them. Their loyal nature may make them an easy fiend to enslave.
Advantages: A rather interesting Swallow Whole ability - when facing evil outsiders, they can be digested, adding temporary HP and save bonuses to the gulthir. Against all others, it's a Dominate Monster with no initial save, though such minions are granted save attempts on subsequent rounds. Plus, you can't cut your way out of its gizzard, as no matter what as soon as you're swallowed, you're a mental slave. SLAs that complement its main ability - lower STR means a lower grapple!
Disadvantages: Given that you want to grapple foes with the Gulthir, they have a rather low grapple score. They only get one attack a round, though the one's really all you need if your foe is next on the menu.
Notable SLAs: Ray of Enfeeblement and Scare 5/day.
Final Evaluation: Interesting, at least tactically, the gulthir is a great tool against other evil outsiders, and a potentially encounter-turning Dominate factory (albeit a slimy one). I like them, but they're a rather specialized tool. Their HD total makes them ideal LPBs, though.

Remmanon
Fluff: The exceptionally arrogant Remmanon thrive on sowing discord and doubt amongst mortals, particularly enjoying tempting them into acts of jealousy and greed. They enjoy feigning servitude, even offering contracts when not bound by a magic circle. Likely to betray you at the first possible opportunity, or trick you into signing away your soul. Beware.
Advantages: The Insidious Aura is nice - it confuses only your opponents, and you get bonuses to hit the affected creatures. They could be a party taxi with Plane Shift.
Disadvantages: That's basically all the Remmanon has going for it - a rather pathetic array of options at this level. Pathetic damage and one attack a round. They have a fly speed, but it's quite slow.
Notable SLAs: Mostly teleportation abilities, though you do get Disguise Self.
Final Evaluation: No. Just no. A GPB should not be wasted upon a walking Confusion aura. It should be used upon unholy terrors like a Balor or a Pit Fiend. Not some scheming emo with a pretentious attitude and missing genitalia. It's not that they're total crap, it's just that compared to your other options, they're about as attractive as a filthy Honey Bucket baking in the desert heat.

Stitched Devil
Fluff: These twisted, misshapen forms are stitched together by night hags out of the carcasses of fallen devils. Their lives are pure pain, and they inflict this agony upon others. But they don't quite know whom to blame for their torment, and you can twist that ignorance to your confusion. Promises of relief, mercy, or even affection (though feel free to make them as empty as you like) will make them fawn over you, like hideous hellish lapdogs.
Advantages: Five attacks a round with a pain aura that causes an extra d6 of damage from any and all sources make them effective at helping your party rack up some damage. Helpful, if limited, SLAs. Oddly enough, decent trackers too.
Disadvantages: Neither their attacks nor their aura is particularly damaging, making them work well only with multiple iterative attacks or a host of individual sources. Not much to do outside of hacking away in melee, either.
Notable SLAs: Phantasmal Killer and Dispel Magic 1/day.
Final Evaluation: I don't find them to be very helpful, as you have much better melee options available to you at this point. Sure, the pain aura can certainly add up over time, but so can a Rogue's sneak attack, and people still crap all over the class. And like the Rogue, the Stitched Devils should be avoided at all costs and replaced with a more effective choice. Like a Vrock. Or a Factotum.
Fiendish Codex II
Abishai (white, black, green, blue, and red)
CR: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
HD: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
How to get it: Lawful evil caster required for all: SM IV (replaces fiendish giant wasp); SM V (replaces bearded devil); SM VI (replaces chain devil); SM VII (replaces bone devil); and none by RAW, but likely SM VIII (likely replacing hellcat) - also LPB and PB
Fluff: Abishai are gargoyle-like devils ferociously loyal to their divine creator, Tiamat. They are arrogant and love to trick and cajole mortals into contracts that lead them to eternal torment and suffering at their own hands. Claiming to serve Tiamat's interests or that of powerful chromatic dragons may make them your willing pawns.
Advantages: Hooray, Wrack! Four out of five have it, and it's basically a save-or-lose - the target is disabled for 1 round/CL. Abishai have plenty of options available to them - they're decent in melee with four attacks and an assortment of elemental damage, are mobile and durable, and come with some helpful magic items.
Disadvantages: They do suffer from a lack of definition, not being particularly effective in any one arena. They don't do tons of damage, nor are they particular quick or blessed with HP.
Notable SLAs: The actual abilities and uses differ from Abishai to Abishai, but mostly include Charm Person, Suggestion, Scare, Charm Monster, and Wrack.
Final Evaluation: A good option in many situations, Abishai are almost worth it for Wrack alone. Other summons do their jobs better, but few of them can match the Abishai for versatility.

Amnizu
How to get it: SM VI as a LE caster (replaces xill) or PB
Fluff: Amnizu are consummate bureaucrats and the guardians of portals and gates in the Hells. They are vile and hedonistic, but also relentless in their duty and quite cunning. They do have massive egos, however, and are easily flattered - pander to their inflated sense of self worth, and they might deign to "serve" you. They do resent taking orders, though, and often seek revenge.
Advantages: Quickened fireballs? A stupefying touch? Delightful! Amnizu can roast your foes like few other summons can, and are deliciously effective with their Int drain. Low-INT enemies can be drained into a coma almost instantly, while classes that depend on the stat will suffer immensely from the loss. Regeneration, too.
Disadvantages: Somewhat fragile, and their artillery quickly runs out. Fireball is a somewhat less-than-stellar spell and the save DC is a bit low, but it's free.
Notable SLAs: Quickened Fireball 3/day.
Final Evaluation: Hands down, one of my favorite summons. I shouldn't even have to go into detail as to why - the amnizu is a mobile artillery platform that remains very useful even after its ammunition is depleted. A level six spell that nets you a grand total of 60d6 fire damage (albeit across three rounds), and can drain your enemies' intellects dry is a spell worth keeping around.

Assassin Devil
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX (replacing the barbed devil, most likely) or PB
Role: Assassin (duh)
Fluff: Gee, would you believe that they're assassins? No, seriously. When a devil needs something dead and it can't be caught doing the deed itself, they hire the Dogai. They're used against mortals most often, however, infiltrating societies and seeking out threats to the Hells both realized and potential. They are independent outcasts, however, and some may chafe against the ordered nature of their home. Use that to your advantage.
Advantages: You'll never see one coming - they can gain greater invisibility (as a swift action, but only for one round each time) or partial concealment at will, plus they have Fog Cloud as an SLA with 60' Blindsight. Phenomenal stealth and mobility, plus three good attacks with 5d6 sneak attack damage each. Spring Attack, to boot.
Disadvantages: High Sense Motive. Devilishly susceptible to non-visual detection methods - blindsight, mindsight, etc., shut down their stealth pretty hardcore. Damage is a little lacking, though sneak attacks make up for that.
Notable SLAs: Fog Cloud, Nondetection, and Tongues at will - Dimension Door if you bind.
Final Evaluation: Killer ninja. While the Kelvezu has higher sneak attack damage and more attacks, the assassin devil is much sneakier and has a better attack bonus. A beautiful choice in conjunction with fog and cloud spells, as they're just as effective while your foes are crippled and vulnerable unless they have blindsight too (though let’s be honest, by this level everything you face should have a way around that). Probably your best high-level rogue-like summon.

Ayperobos Swarm
Fluff: These tiny devils form locust-like swarms in the Hells and love to devour and rend flesh whenever they come across anything weaker than them. They especially despise other devils. Quite used to being downtrodden and therefore likely easily bound.
Advantages: Their Control Body is an interesting ability - they get to possess a distracted creature until they make a save to expel them. They can be effective controllers, sowing mayhem on the battlefiend.
Disadvantages: Unlike the Broodswarm, Ayperobos do not have Evasion and have low HP, making them very vulnerable to area attacks. They do very little damage, too, and disease is a terrible method of harming a foe. It's somewhat unclear whether or not their Control Body ability can affect multiple creatures at once.
Final Evaluation: I don't think a swarm is going to cut it at this level. They might find use in distracting spellcasters, but they're mostly weak and far from your best option.

Harvester Devil
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VII
Fluff: The scheming, soul-buying devils of Faustian legend, Falxugon are cunning, intelligent, and thrive on deceiving and seducing mortals. They disdain combat, only joining the fray when all other options are closed to them. Learn to B.S. a B.S.-er.
Advantages: Their Infernal Debt and Refuge of the Damned abilities can make for an interesting debuffer, one who taunts foes mercilessly until they try and attack it, and then stabs them with their lethargy-inducing blades. Falxugons also have excellent social skills (though surprisingly not much Sense Motive), letting them act as negotiators and infiltrators for you.
Disadvantages: They're weak, they do pitiful damage, and they have very few abilities in combat. You want your opponents to attack your summons, so if you're using these as combatants you're kind of missing the point by a country mile.
Notable SLAs: Disguise Self at will, Vampiric Touch and Dispel Magic 3/day, and Mirror Image 1/day.
Final Evaluation: They're a niche pick, only useful for infiltration and seduction missions. They can be effective debuffers, but it's generally far too inefficient and convoluted to do so. Stick to heavy hitters unless you really need some guile on your side.

Kalabon
CR: 1/2
How to get it: SM III as a LE caster (replaces fiendish ape) or LPB
Fluff: These cancerous lumps of sodden flesh are spewed up from the remains of the Hag Countess. They are foul, barely intelligent creatures that nevertheless grow stronger and form oozing colonies when amassed. Easily controlled by the promise of relief from their psychic agony.
Advantages: Surprisingly damaging for a CR 1/2 summon, Kalabons also can sicken enemies around them. Multiple Kalabons can form larger, more damaging creatures. Fast Healing, too. Immune to acid.
Disadvantages: They pop like infernal pimples against the tiniest pinprick. No resistance to fire, either, so they're easily taken out by area attacks.
Final Evaluation: Blech. A CR 1/2 creature from SM III? I cry foul. But they're clearly better than lemures, so I can understand the disparity. Still, I'd rule that these are summonable at SM II or even I, but RAW is not on my side here. The lower you can get them, the better they are - at III, they're not comparable to a Dretch or a Nashrou. As it is, I certainly wouldn't replace the ape with them.

Legion Devil
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IV (perhaps replacing fiendish dire wolf) or LPB
Fluff: Highly organized and disciplined, Merregons are the rank-and-file infantry of hellish armies. They do things by the book and take orders extremely well. Act like a drill sergeant and they'll fall in line instantly.
Advantages: While an individual Merregon is nothing to write home about, they become exponentially better when grouped. They can't die unless the HP pool of all of them is depleted. If hit with an area effect or multiple target spell, all within 100' get to use the highest save in the group as their result (and good luck targeting one with mind-affecting spells, because they all get to try and save no matter which one was targeted). They get attack bonuses when grouped, too - +4 for each other Merregon within 60'.
Disadvantages: Their damage, unfortunately, doesn't improve in the proximity of others. Depending on your DM, you might not be able to use their Legion's Advance ability (while it is teleportation, it's a Su ability and not a [teleportation] spell - I personally wouldn't allow it as a summon, but some DMs might think differently). Legion's Mind has a drawback, too - if none of the devils make the save against a single target charm, they're all affected.
Final Evaluation: Beautiful en masse, the Merregon is a tactical wonder. Individually, they're nothing to marvel over, but between your augmentation abilities and higher level slots, you can instantly create your own personal, brutally efficient army. Great at tanking and can form a veritable wall of swords.

Malebranche
How to get it: None by RAW, maybe SM IX but likely GPB
Fluff: These dim-witted devils exist solely for brute force and shock troop tactics - they are beaten and bullied until they are completely obedient. "They exhibit an almost servile willingness to do whatever it is they are ordered to do, even if doing so means humiliation or death." Other devils sometimes use them as mounts. Total bootlickers.
Advantages: So, remember when I said that the Verakia was a melee monster? Well, the Malebranche gives them some heavy competition. They don't have as many options - they just attack, attack, and attack. But they do phenomenal amounts of damage at a good bonus. Huge with a good grapple score and an extremely fast fly speed (plus Flyby Attack). High DR, regeneration, and HP.
Disadvantages: Other than their fear aura (not very impressive), fighting is the only thing the Malebranche can do. Very low touch AC.
Final Evaluation: Charge in, demolish things with your ranseur, end of combat. That's the Malebranche way - simple, brutal, and effective. If you can summon them, they'll have the highest damage potential in the SM IX line.

Narzugon
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V (replacing bearded devil) or PB
Fluff: Infernal cavalry, Narzugons ride into battle on nightmares. Unlike most devils, they dislike treachery and scheming, and are forthright, brave, and fearlessly loyal. These honorable warriors are probably the least likely to turn on you or betray you - they're noble, even tragic figures who might find some redemption in your service.
Advantages: If you're looking for some mounted warriors, they're good choices. They do respectable damage with their lances in a charge and can tank fairly well with high DR for their level and decent AC.
Disadvantages: Major issue: they don't come with a mount. So you have two choices: they can cast mount, which just gives them a generic horse, or you can use another spell slot to summon a Nightmare, which makes them basically badass. Their baleful gaze has a rather low DC.
Notable SLAs: Scorching Ray at will (just one ray, though) and Mount 3/day.
Final Evaluation: If you need to call in the cavalry, the Narzugon is a decent choice. Of course, you really only have two options: this or the Armanite. I prefer the Armanite because they are their own mounts, but the Narzugon has all the right feats for mounted combat while the Armanite does not. They're also a level or two lower, depending. A Narzugon on a Nightmare is a potent combination, though: charge in, breathe smoke to gain concealment, then retreat out to charge again.

Nupperibo
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM III (perhaps replacing hell hound) or LPB
Fluff: These shuddering, tormented hunks of flesh are punished devils, drained of nearly all their infernal essence and stitched up in a pathetic form. They are blind, deaf, and nearly mindless.
Advantages: Blindsight out to 30' and a passable halberd attack. They have halfway decent Fast Healing for their level, too. A fear aura gives them at least something to do besides flail about wildly.
Disadvantages: Overpowering odors (like Stinking Cloud) can blind it, limiting its tactical use. No DR. Practically impossible to command, unless you are telepathic.
Final Evaluation: While the Nupperibo is mostly a pathetic combatant, you can combine their blindsight and immunity to poison to good effect in conjunction with Cloudy Conjuration at low levels. Once you've got better options, though, never look back.

Orthon
How to get it: SM VIII as a LE caster (replacing hellcat) or PB
Fluff: Foot soldiers specializing in combating demons, Orthons are creatures wracked by constant pain whose only aim is to die for the glory of the Hells. Combat is the only thing that relieves their agony - offer them enough respite from their constantly grinding armored plates, and they may serve willingly.
Advantages: They act as a permanent, no-save Dimensional Anchor spell, which can be nice against teleportation-prone foes. They have good reach with their weapons, and can attack within it too. They have hellfire crossbows, in case you need to pepper some faraway foes (up to 400'). High CON and therefore HP.
Disadvantages: At this level, their attack bonus and damage potentials are fairly pathetic, though multiple Orthons in tandem can help to boost that. Slow, low DR, and barely-passable AC.
Notable SLAs: See Invisibility at will.
Final Evaluation: While they're an easy pick over the Hellcat, I still can't recommend the Orthons with any degree of confidence. They just don't hold up well. Still, if you keep a foe from bamfing away, they can help in that regard.

Paeliryon
Fluff: Paeliryons are the masters of fiendish spy networks, information brokers and blackmailers extraordinaire. They are, however, oddly trustworthy - they always keep their word. If you can convince one to serve you, use such reliability to your advantage.
Advantages: Just a host of powerful SLAs, Paeliryons are also surrounded by a perpetual Mind Fog. They can emit a stunning cone of curses with their Belittle ability. With their extending claws, they can easily hover outside an enemy's reach and chip away at their Charisma. Great skills - lots of social and knowledge-based ones, though Knowledge (local) is likely the only one they have that you don't. Unless you're a cleric entry, in which case (arcana) might be handy.
Disadvantages: Nowhere near as buff in melee as a Pit Fiend or a Balor. Fairly clumsy, too.
Notable SLAs: Greater Dispel Magic, Meteor Swarm, Hold Monster, Charm Monster, Suggestion, Major Image, Mindblank, and Polymorph at will, plus Enervation, Antilife Shell, Greater Command, and Greater Prying Eyes 3/day.
Final Evaluation: If you're looking for a caster supreme, look no further than the Paeliryon. While still being a notch below the Balor, they're easier to bind, less likely to seek immediately bloody revenge on you (at least immediately), and have a wider array of at-will SLAs. Better casters, but not a better bind overall.

Pain Devil
How to get it: SM VI as a LE caster (replacing chain devil) or PB
Fluff: Like the Kyton, the Excruciarch is a devil specializing in agonizing torture. They are extremely sadistic (moreso than most devils) and enjoy snuffing out the last bits of hope. Likely they'll serve you just for the fun of it.
Advantages: Decent damage with their spiked chains, their attacks can also cause living foes to lose move actions. They do damage just by being next to things, albeit a very small amount. Sadism lets them buff themselves by dealing damage. Wave of Grief is a handy debuff, plus they can heal.
Disadvantages: Storm of Pain is a crappy ability. Subpar damage and AC.
Notable SLAs: Vampiric Touch at will, plus Wave of Grief and Cure Moderate Wounds 3/day
Final Evaluation: An interesting choice, to be sure - discounting the Kyton's Dancing Chains ability, I think the Pain Devil is clearly the better pick. Even with Dancing Chains, I'd still take the Pain Devil - they're more consistent, hit more often, and do more damage. They are possibly the only evil summon with healing as an SLA, which might come in handy if you're lacking in that department.

Pleasure Devil
How to get it: SM IX (replaces fiendish dire shark)
Fluff: Super-Erinyes, the Brachina is an extremely seductive devil who specializes in corrupting the virtuous and the devout. They are just as involved with the petty scheming and jockeying for position as most devils are, but they spend more time attempting to tempt mortals on the Material Plane. If you can resist their charms, they'll serve you well - just be wary of their honeyed words.
Advantages: A healthy host of beguiling SLAs, plus the option to actually Beguile a foe and make them take a round's worth of actions under your control, both wasting their turn and using it to your advantage. They have a WIS-damaging poison, which might be handy against a few foes. Plenty of scheming social skills and obscure knowledge.
Disadvantages: Pretty awful in melee. You're unlikely to get much use out of some of their SLAs - Morality Undone won't really help you unless you've got a particular grudge against an arrogant paladin, and it's still almost definitely an evil act.
Notable SLAs: Charm Monster, Vampiric Touch, Morality Undone, Polymorph, Enthrall, Suggestion, and Produce Flame at will, plus Trap the Soul 1/day.
Final Evaluation: You shouldn't have any second thoughts about replacing the fiendish dire shark - the Brachina is a fine substitute. While I'd give the edge to the Lilitu in this niche by virtue of its clerical spellcasting and superior poison, the Brachina has its merits.

Spined Devil
How to get it: SM IV as a LE caster (replacing fiendish giant wasp) or LPB
Fluff: Small, sneaky, and cruel, the Spinagon is an ideal spy or scout for many greater devils. They are notoriously dim and as such are easily tricked into service. They're unreliable scouts, however, as they have trouble remembering details and messages.
Advantages: Oh so quick. 120' fly speed, 25 DEX, and 24 AC are great at this low of a level. Stealthy, too. Their spine attacks are excellent as a debuff - they reduce AC and speed, making your foes less likely to resist your attacks or close to melee range.
Disadvantages: Mildly fragile, Spinagons are also pitiful damage sources. Easily grappled - don't let them get caught, or they're dead meat.
Notable SLAs: Disguise Self and Produce Flame 3/day, plus Stinking Cloud 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Spinagons are ideal harriers and debuffers - they can get into position with great speed, lay down a carpet of pain-inducing spines, and retreat and repeat. They won't be killing anything for you, but they'll certainly help you and your party take care of it.

Steel Devil
How to get it: SM VII as a LE caster (replacing fiendish megaraptor) or LPB
Fluff: Consummate soldiers, Bueroza are keenly loyal to their own kind but possess marked disdain for other devils, especially Orthons. They fight with cunning and a highly tactical mindset, excelling against spellcasters and other magic-using foes.
Advantages: They can Chant and potentially disrupt spellcasting. They improve significantly when working with other Bueroza - +2 damage, +2 BAB, and +2 on all saves for every other one adjacent to them, making them quite good in tight formations. Their Push ability might be useful, allowing you to knock an enemy into hazards or pitfalls. High AC.
Disadvantages: In melee, they're really just so-so without the benefit of numbers. Poor BAB, middling damage. Slow, too. Any decently optimized caster should make the Concentration check vs. Chant unless you have a veritable platoon of Bueroza chanting.
Notable SLAs: Greater Command, Haste (self only), and Scare at will.
Final Evaluation: With their AC and Combat Expertise, Bueroza can be effective as a screen, drawing the enemy's futile flailing. But they're rarely going to be melee powerhouses, and I don't find their abilities to be all that helpful. Still, better than the fiendish megaraptor. Wish they were summonable at SM VI - then they'd be more useful.

Xerfilstyx
Fluff: Irrevocably insane, driven mad by constantly swimming in the waters of the Styx, Xerfilstyx are likely the most chaotic lawful evil creatures around. They really only care for the destruction of others and to drink in fragments of memories and loss. Supposedly there is method in their madness, but it's not very apparent exactly what that method is.
Advantages: Five attacks per round, with Improved Grab and a blood-draining grapple. A host of useful SLAs - whether you need control, debuffing, or damage, they can supply it. A formidable breath weapon that does 15d8 of untyped damage as well as diminishing INT. A fear aura that's actually halfway decent. Especially effective in aquatic locales, it is still quick on land and even in the air. No Sense Motive to speak of, so easier to trick into a bind.
Disadvantages: Those attacks do awful damage. The breath weapon needs to be recharged through CON drain, so you have to maintain a grapple if you want to use it with any regularity. Toss would be useful if the direction and distance weren't completely random - as it is, you're just flinging someone helter-skelter, which may end up doing more harm than good.
Notable SLAs: Confusion, Dispel Magic, Hold Person, and Wall of Ice at will, plus Cone of Cold, Ice Storm, and Legend Lore 3/day, plus Insanity and Power Word Blind 1/day.
Final Evaluation: An interesting choice for a GPB, the Xerfilstyx has a lot going for it. However, its near-complete lack of damage potential in melee makes me balk, preferring to choose something that has both great SLAs and the ability to rip things to shreds. A good choice in an aquatic campaign, though.
Fiend Folio
Imp; bloodbag, euphoric, and filth
CR: 3, 3, 2
HD: 4, 4, 2
Fluff: Mostly just like imps, but with certain specializations - bloodbag imps are combat medics, euphoric imps are recreational drug users and small-time alchemists, and filth imps are expert forgers and translators who nonetheless reek like nobody's business.
Advantages: Mostly the same as imps, they have a few distinct advantages: bloodbag imps can be effective out-of-combat medics with Transfusion and +16 Heal, though sucking out the blood seems... distasteful, to say the least. Euphoric imps can daze their foes with hallucinogenic slime, and filth imps can emit stinking clouds.
Disadvantages: As the imps, really. The bloodbag imp is slightly slower than standard, while the filth imp is more fragile.
Notable SLAs: Bloodbag: Vampiric Touch 1/day; Euphoric: Major Image 1/day; Filth: Stinking Cloud 1/day.
Final Evaluation: The filth imp is useless. The euphoric imp can produce illusions, which are nice. But the only one I recommend using, and even then only as a healing battery, is the bloodbag imp. If you can get over the whole 'I have to drink its blood to heal myself' thing, they're walking, talking medpaks.

Maelephant
Role: Caster/Manipulator
Fluff: These fiendish elephant-like creatures were created by long-desposed baatezu lords to protect vaults and treasures. They now roam the Lower Planes, looking for enough flesh to sustain their hunger. If you provide one with enough food, they'll willingly serve you.
Advantages: Good SLAs and a delightful breath weapon - it gives those afflicted complete and total amnesia, preventing them from using skills and feats or casting spells. They also no longer remember who their enemies or friends are; even their own identity is lost. That's a nice ability. Good sense, too.
Disadvantages: Far from a melee power, Maelephants are nigh useless in hand-to-hand combat. Their Defensive Stance helps somewhat (though they can no longer move when they use it), but they still suffer from low AC and damage. Their forget-me-gas is sadly rather easy to save against.
Notable SLAs: Alarm, Entangle, Gust of Wind, True Seeing, and Warp Wood at will, plus Blade Barrier and Baleful Polymorph 3/day.
Final Evaluation: A nice pick, if only for the complete and total shutdown that their breath weapon offers. If you ever have to guard a location or item, they're supposedly quite effective at it - it is their job, after all. Very few summons offer their particular SLAs, so that's a plus. Not great, but an acceptable choice.
Book of Vile Darkness
Kocrachon
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VI or LPB
Fluff: Kocrachons, like Excruciarchs and Kytons, are devilish torturers. They delight in pain and suffering, and will perhaps serve you if you offer them the chance to work their foul art.
Advantages: All about the SLAs - frankly, they've got nothing else going for them. But they do have a long list, and some choices are very effective.
Disadvantages: Pitiful damage, low AC and HP.
Notable SLAs: Animate Dead, Cure Moderate Wounds, Dispel Magic, Liquid Pain, Major Image, Sorrow, Suggestion, Wave of Grief, Wrack, and Wither Limb at will, plus Blasphemy 1/day.
Final Evaluation: As long as you keep them out of the fray at all costs, the Kocrachon can wreak havoc with its SLAs. Sorrow and Wave of Grief give your enemies debilitating penalties to all sorts of rolls (though beware the 3.5 conversion, as the penalties change from -3 to -2), while Wither Limb can cripple a spellcaster or force a foe to crawl at 5' per round. When in doubt, Wrack will drop an enemy straight out of the fight. Peerless spellcasters for their level, a Kocrachon can also replace a healer with Cure Moderate Wounds at will. A great choice for magical power. Decent summon - brilliant bind.

Ghargatula
24 HD means the Ghargatula is unbindable.

Mordokai
2009-08-14, 12:38 PM
Very nice work Gnorman!

This little guide of yours has actually encouraged me to give malconvoker a try next time we play a 3.5 campaign :smallbiggrin: It looks like very interesting class and with all the options you presented here I dare say it could be made even more interesting, not to mention powerful :smallamused:

Keep up the good work!

Gnorman
2009-08-18, 01:51 AM
More fiendish love:

DEVILS, PART II

Tome of Magic
Logokron
Fluff: The Logokron is a patient schemer, plotting and research truenames in order to gain power over its fellow fiends and mortals alike.
Advantages: It does decently with its +2 thundering halberds, though not spectacularly. Its tongue is a continuous Symbol of Pain, and it has some decent utterances. It has a very impressive selection of skills, including practically all Knowledges. Respectable AC and DR.
Disadvantages: It uses truenaming. I mean, come on. That should really be all I need to say. Only +36 in Truenaming, which means to even affect a creature of the same CR, it needs to roll a 7 or better.
Notable SLAs: Major Image at will; plus the following utterances: Critical Word of Nurturing (reverse only), Preternatural Clarity, Hidden Truth, and Morale Boost.
Final Evaluation: Eh, it can cause some havoc with Confusion and Fear abilities, but by the time you can bind one, you'll be fighting creatures with CR's of 16 or higher - leaving it successful half the time, at best. And those just aren't good odds. Pass.
Sandstorm
Desert Devil
Fluff: These frenzied devils are found in deserts and wastelands, whirling about surrounded by flaying sands. They're dim and easily tricked.
Advantages: Um. None. Seriously. Aratons suck. Okay, they do 2d6 per round damage to anything within 10 ft. That's about it.
Disadvantages: Awful damage. Poor DR for their level. Middling HP and AC. No combat options besides their pathetic scimitars.
Final Evaluation: I hate Aratons. So much. They have nothing going for them. Never, ever, ever summon one. The only feasible way they might become viable is if you summon a ton of them and treat them as walking HP drainers - if you have six of them, 12d6 damage a round might be okay. But you could also just summon Amnizus and do the same thing, only tons better.
Stormwrack
Scyllan
Fluff: These tentacled creatures are descendants of an aquatic archfiend, now found primarily in the deep oceans of Stygia. They're not very bright and rarely speak, preferring to let their tentacles and claws do their communicating for them.
Advantages: Six attacks a round (Four of which have 30' reach) and the ability to create whirlpools. They have Improved Grab and can swallow Large or smaller creatures. Fairly durable.
Disadvantages: Only useful in aquatic settings, as they have no movement besides a swim speed. Their attacks do poor damage. Their Frightful Noise ability will never see use, as it only affects creatures with less than sixteen HD.
Notable SLAs: Control Water 1/hour.
Final Evaluation: Eh. In an aquatic campaign, you might find them useful to assault ships and their crews. Likely, however, you won't find them useful at all. And if you're not in the water, forget about using them at all. I'd pass.
Dragon Magazine
Death Devil (Issue #353)
Fluff: Another infernal torturer (how many do they really need?), the Jerul is a Forgotten Realms-specific creature - it torments souls stuck in the Wall of the Faithless and the False. It feels a weird sort of kinship (or at least a desire to command and control) the undead.
Advantages: Decently damaging scythes and a whip that deals lethal damage with 25' reach. It can exhaust creatures it hits, and has a permanent ghost touch ability. Combat Reflexes and the DEX to make it worthwhile. A good set of immunities and decent SLAs. Can rebuke undead at will, as a 12th level cleric. 50% fortification and can only be harmed by silver bludgeoning weapons.
Disadvantages: With its poor attack bonus, it's unlikely to ever connect, so its exhausting ability will rarely see play. Relatively fragile. Fairly undead-heavy thematically, so it might be somewhat limited in an undead-light campaign.
Notable SLAs: Animate Dead and Dimensional Anchor at will, plus Desecrate and Deeper Darkness 3/day, plus Enervation 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Niche pick. Against undead, it's both effective and ineffective - rebuking is nice but most of its abilities won't work. The low attack bonus is very troubling - you'll be depending on criticals to do any sort of damage for the most part. While it may have a few specialized uses, I just don't think it's competitive for its level.

Death Hurler (Issue #309)
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX
Fluff: Death Hurlers are infernal constructs that look like grand iron siege towers, covered with menacing spikes, barbs, and a multitude of corpses. They are mindless and merely follow commands.
Advantages: Six ranged attacks a round, plus Ram and Trample attacks that have respectable Strength-based DCs. Construct immunities. You can fit four people on the top, who subsequently receive cover from the Death Hurler's walls.
Disadvantages: Poor attack bonus and damage. You have to climb up a wall of corpses to get to the top, which is irrevocably nasty. Not all that durable for a construct - and Augment Summoning is half-useless on it.
Final Evaluation: Might be useful if you're actually conducting a siege - but mostly they're too much of a niche pick to seriously consider.

Hellforged (coal, glass, lead, obsidian, sand, and spiked; Issue #306)
CR: 7, 4, 13, 6, 3, 6
HD: 8, 6, 16, 10, 4, 9
How to get it: None by RAW, likely: SM VI, SM V, SM IX, SM VI, SM IV, and SM VI
Role: Minions
Fluff: These metallic devils were once constructs, but the evil of the hells swelled up and made them into true outsiders. They're fanatically loyal and follow orders to the finest detail - you'll likely have to be extremely literal and deliberate in your orders.
Advantages: Varies from devil to devil. I like the Coal Devil's Blindsight + Aura of Smoke combination and its Fire Breath. The Glass Devil has natural Greater Invisiblity, while the Lead Devil has an immense attack bonus (+28). The Obsidian Devil is relatively better in combat and does a good bit of damage on a grapple, while the Sand Devil has a 50' burrow speed (quite rare) and can turn into a cloud of sand for infiltration purposes. The Obsidian and Glass devils also have burrow speeds, but nowhere near as fast.
Disadvantages: They're all a bit lackluster in the melee department, with low damage and AC. The Spiked Devil in particular has little to recommend it - its Hail of Spikes does very little damage and can be avoided completely on a Reflex save.
Final Evaluation: I recommend the Sand Devil in particular for exploring dungeons and sneaking through tight passageways (they even have ranks in Disable Device, though not Search), and the Glass Devil for low-level stealthy scouting duty. The Lead Devil can be a boon if you're up against a very high AC opponent (it'll just have to chip away at it slowly, with only 1d10+3 damage and two attacks per round) and the Obsidian Devil is a halfway decent brute. The Coal Devil isn't great - you have plenty of better Blindsight creatures at your disposal. And the Spiked Devil's just not good at all.

Imps of ill humor (choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic, and sanguinous; Issue #338)
Fluff: These imps suffer from humor imbalance - their personalities range from angry to depressed to lazy to jovial.
Advantages: As the imp, only each one has a unique sting that causes permanent status effects: Rage, Crushing Despair, Slow, and Hideous Laughter, respectively.
Disadvantages: They lose the Imp's SLAs in favor of their humor imbalances. Their stingers have very poor attack bonuses, so it's difficult to get the imbalance to stick.
Notable SLAs: Contagion 1/day, disease varies.
Final Evaluation: Unlike other imps, these ones actually want to get into melee combat, if only so they can use their stingers to full effect. While the status effects are nice, they're hard to use effectively, and most of the imps are too fragile to last long enough to land the hit. They might be situationally useful, but I say pass in general.

YUGOLOTHS

Monster Manual II
Arcanoloth
Fluff: Arcanoloths are scribes and archivists for the Yugoloths, and are scheming, triple-dealing fiends always looking for an angle in every situation. However, they are noted for being generally honorable and true to their word - at least as far as you can trust a fiend's words. Careful, specific language and commands are recommended.
Advantages: They cast as a 12th level sorcerer, though they have no specific spell-list listed. Immune to mind-affecting spells and a decent complement of SLAs. Good social and academic skills, plus they can read or write any language. Decent fly speed.
Disadvantages: Notably fragile, with only 11 CON. In fact, keep them as far away from the fray as possible, since they're basically completely inept. Their poison is crappy.
Notable SLAs: Fly, Heat Metal, Invisibility (self only), Magic Missile, Warp Wood, and Shapechange (!!!) at will, plus Fear and Major Image 1/day. Plus sorcerer casting.
Final Evaluation: These guys are all about the spells. That's a hefty HD/CR split, and should make you seriously consider them as option for a bind. However, their fragility is a major drawback - most enemies can just look funny at them and they'll keel over. Of course, that's what Shapechange is for. Likely straight-up broken.

Marraenoloth
Fluff: Marraenoloths are the archetypical boatmen of the Styx, skeletal creatures who ply the oily waters with their skiffs. They frequently arrange ambushes of their passengers, and they dislike leaving the comfort of their ferries. A quick return to their craft is probably the best incentive you can offer.
Advantages: Very little - halfway decent SLAs. Somewhat speedy.
Disadvantages: Fragile, awful in melee, and lacking in options outside of their SLAs, which aren't phenomenal to begin with.
Notable SLAs: Alter Self, Animate Dead, Charm Person, Phantasmal Killer, Poison, and Produce Flame at will.
Final Evaluation: Well, if you're really hurting for a ferry captain to cross some river (and have no other options, which seems unlikely), you might summon one. Mostly they're forgettable. You have so many better options at this point that the Marraenoloth shouldn't even cross your mind.

Yagnoloth
Fluff: Possessed of one massive, damaging arm, Yagnoloths are feudal lords and minor tyrants of their realms, though they are despised by nearly every other Yugoloth for their status. They are hulking and brutish, but not dumb or socially inept. Perhaps a small respite from their constant paranoia might be a welcome change of pace.
Advantages: A formidable save DC on their stunning blow makes them halfway decent in melee, though only halfway. Much more durable than their peers in the Yugoloth hierarchy.
Disadvantages: Their weapon-wielding arm is powerful weak, with a crappy attack bonus and pathetic damage. Their breath weapon does 2d6 damage and only affects a 5' cone, which is basically awful. Their only SLA is a pitiful one.
Notable SLAs: Shocking Grasp 3/day.
Final Evaluation: While they're better than the Marraenoloth (though only by virtue of their stunning arm), the Yagnoloth still sucks royally. Don't even think about it. Move on. Nothing to see here.
Monster Manual III
Canoloth
Fluff: Canoloths are dog-like skirmishers and scouts in Yugoloth armies, often having been demoted to the position as punishment for some long-forgotten transgression. They are barely intelligent, preferring to rely on their brutish dispositions and wicked barbed tongues. An easy fiend to manipulate.
Advantages: Pretty beefy. As I've mentioned quite often, I'm a big fan of summons with Blindsight. Their tongue attack is at a decent bonus, can reach out to 20', and can paralyze foes for three to eight minutes on a failed save, the DC of which is respectable. Fairly quick and agile, too. Being immune to sight-based attacks can come in handy if you're going up against a basilisk or a pesky gnome illusionist.
Disadvantages: Not much in the way of other options. Their SLAs have abominable DCs. Their grapple modifier, though not abysmal, isn't great. Their damage is merely okay in comparison to others of their level.
Notable SLAs: Detect Magic, Desecrate, and Cause Fear at will.
Final Evaluation: It's got 20' reach and a paralyzing tongue attack - that's a lot to love right there. Used well, the Canoloth can shut down weak-Fort threats and cause some general havoc on the battlefield. They're not your best damage dealers, but they can disable opponents with ease, leaving them helpless against future assault. Another prime candidate for throwing into a fog or a cloud spell (can you tell I love this tactic yet?).

Mezzoloth
Fluff: Common foot soldiers, Mezzoloths are far from sophisticated, knowing only endless martial drills and the occasional productive torture session. They're pretty dim and likely prime candidates for fast-talk and complicated, labyrinthine contracts that put them at a disadvantage.
Advantages: Respectable melee combatants, the Mezzoloth also has the advantage of being able to throw down Cloudkills as a softener before rushing in. They also have a hefty HD total for their CR, which makes them a bit more durable than some summons (but also indicates that they're relatively weaker). Surprisingly decent stealth for a bruiser.
Disadvantages: They have no real way of seeing in their own clouds, which diminishes their advantage somewhat.
Notable SLAs: Cause Fear, Produce Flame, See Invisiblity at will, plus Cloudkill and Dispel Magic 2/day.
Final Evaluation: Fairly middling in terms of melee, with subpar casting and nothing much to recommend them. I'd go with a Kyton or an Excruciarch or, hell, a fiendish rhinoceros over the Mezzoloth any day.

Nycaloth
Fluff: Aerial skirmishers and flying cavalry, the Nycaloth holds a respected position in the Yugoloth hierarchy. They are savage when enjoined in battle, but prefer to remain distant and observe their foes from the skies until they are needed. They only have average intelligence, however, and tricking them into service shouldn't be too difficult.
Advantages: A hefty attack schedule with either a damaging greataxe or wounding claw strikes. If you ever feel like dropping foes from a great height, they have a quick flight speed and can climb to a point where they can do some damage.
Disadvantages: A relatively useless and sadly limited amount of abilities outside melee.
Notable SLAs: Fear, Invisibility, Mirror Image, and See Invisibility at will.
Final Evaluation: Though they're better than the Vrock in a straight-up scrap, they don't have a lot of options outside pure damage. Eh... better options at this point. Just middling.

Ultroloth
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IX (though the Ultroloth is notoriously under-valued in the CR department; I'd change it to at least a 16) or GPB
Fluff: Ultroloths are scheming tacticians and crafty generals of the Yugoloth forces, the Ultroloths are devious, cunning, and notably lazy. They prefer to coerce their minions into doing their dirty work. They're expert bluffers and manipulators, though not to the extent of a Pit Fiend or a Balor.
Advantages: Great SLAs with a high caster level, Ultroloths can beguile and befuddle their foes while blasting away with all sorts of damaging and debilitating rays. Phenomenal magery, really. Plus, a Hypnotic Gaze, though it likely won't see use with all your other options.
Disadvantages: Pretty damn awful in melee, though why you'd put them in that situation in the first place is beyond me. Tricky binds, too.
Notable SLAs: Gaseous Form, Prying Eyes, Alter Self, Fear, Wall of Fire, Scorching Ray, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Exhaustion, Scrying, See Invisibility, and Suggestion at will, plus Binding, Geas, Enervation, and Mass Suggestion 3/day, plus Symbol of Death 1/day.
Final Evaluation: No DM in his right mind should give you these guys as a summon - they're way too good as magical artillery. Whether its debuffing, control, or straight up blasting you want, the Ultroloth has options to spare. I personally like mixing them in with Devils and using Wall of Fire to create chokepoints - but your foes' fire resistance is likely pretty high at this point. Do keep in mind, too, that like the Balor and the Pit Fiend, Ultroloths are aces in their respective hierarchies, and likely won't tolerate the yoke for long. Revenge comes swiftly to those who offend them.
Monster Manual IV
Corruptor of Fate
How to get it: SM VI or PB
Fluff: Corruptors of Fate are mercenary and opportunistic, selling their services to the highest bidder. They are quite happy to serve and in fact prefer to have a patron - they're also noted for not being terribly picky about whom they serve, though they nominally prefer evil lords. Should be an easy sell - just offer them the chance to spread suffering amongst your enemies.
Advantages: Corruptors are super-debuffers, with a cursing attack (leaves the enemy 50% likely to just do nothing), a debuffing gaze, and a permanent unluck effect when others try to damage them. They're also immune to necromantic effects and negative energy, making them helpful in concert with undead or other necromantic strategies.
Disadvantages: Underwhelming in melee, Corruptors aren't likely to do a lot of damage. Weapon Finesse always makes me sad - for a summoner with Augment Summoning, it's often a wasted feat for the fiend.
Final Evaluation: While you may not want to summon hordes of them to crawl all over your enemies, a well-placed Corruptor can do wonders to surgically cripple major threats with their curse. Anything with a poor Will save is likely to be fair game - brutes and assassins beware. If you can get a cursed foe to concentrate on the Corruptor itself, even better - if they do get to act, they'll always be taking the worst of two rolls anyway. A fine choice for twisting destiny to your advantage.

Voor
Fluff: Nasty, vicious, and dull, the wannabe xenomorph Voors are bred as guardians, like hideous daemonic rottweilers. They are only capable of comprehending simple commands, but they follow orders given by stronger creatures without question. They are willing to wait quite a long time to spread slaughter and havoc - perhaps you will afford them that opportunity.
Advantages: Six attacks a round at a more than respectable bonus for their level, the Voor is a veritable spinning murder top in melee. 20' reach with their tentacles, Combat Reflexes and they can Rend if they hit with both of their claw attacks. Great grapple score, too.
Disadvantages: Blindsense, not Blindsight, which just pulls the rug out from underneath fog-based tactics (sooo disappointing). Middling AC and HP. Who really cares if they give off no natural scent, either?
Final Evaluation: Love the voor. Love it. It has so much damage potential. It makes even blasting wizards look wimpy in comparison - two of them in tandem can just tear things apart. Hell, even one of them is a serious menace. If you can convince your DM to let you summon the Dreadful Lasher variety later (at SM VIII, most likely) definitely take that one too, as it's one of the best melee combatants at that power level. The voor is a great melee choice - probably one of the best.
Fiend Folio
Piscoloth
How to get it: SM VII or PB
Fluff: Piscoloths are drill sergeants and minor troop commanders in Yugoloth armies - they are minor thugs and enforcers, thriving on what little authority they're given. Despite their imperious nature, they're quite stupid and easily manipulated.
Advantages: Eleven attacks a round is nice, though only three of them do any damage - the other eight can only paralyze. Hit enough times and something will eventually fail a save - it's a DC of 18, which isn't great but isn't awful, either. Decent SLAs. All-around vision might come in handy.
Disadvantages: Pathetic attack bonus for their level means that the paralyzing tentacles will rarely hit, making their utility less than paramount. Oddly slow in the water.
Notable SLAs: Blink, Fear, Scare, and See Invisibility at will, plus Meld Into Stone, Stinking Cloud, and Phantasmal Killer 3/day.
Final Evaluation: I could see them being used for ambush tactics in dungeons and caves with their stone-melding abilities. If you consider their CR to be accurate (which I do not), they're a decent deal for SM VII, though far from spectacular. If you're looking to capture your quarry rather than kill them, they'd be a good choice - but that's about it.

Skereloth
Fluff: These wretched, twisted creatures are the lowest of the low in Yugoloth armies - they are cowardly and sniveling, used only for the easiest of infiltration and scouting duties. They'll bend like twigs to your commands.
Advantages: Four attacks per round plus sneak attack seems like it'd be decent. Fairly high AC and a burrow speed, plus high stealth skills.
Disadvantages: Middling attack bonus and pathetic damage, even with four attacks per round. Their Cringe ability just tricks an opponent into thinking that they're not worth the time and effort to kill - but you want opponents concentrating on your summons, not others.
Notable SLAs: Daze and Jump at will, plus Burning Hands and Expeditious Retreat 3/day.
Final Evaluation: "Other yugoloths regard Skereloths as weak and useless." You should too. Pitiful in combat, and you have much better scouting options available to you at this level. Pass.
Stormwrack
Echinoloth
How to get it: SM VIII or LPB
Fluff: Rear guards of advancing Yugoloths, Echinoloths are often assigned mop-up duty due to their relentless nature and vast love of shredding things to tiny bits. They're too dim to know when they're in a losing proposition - they'll likely succumb to your wiles.
Advantages: Tremorsense...? Rend and Infernal Wound... might add up? Nawww. Seriously, Echinoloths suck.
Disadvantages: Awful melee abilities for their level. Their Nauseating Aura has a woeful DC. Low AC and DR means they're chewed up like nothing at this point.
Final Evaluation: Reality check: the Voor (which fills the exact same niche) has a slightly lower attack bonus, more attacks, and does roughly the same damage for a spell four levels lower. That alone should make you cringe at the prospect of ever summoning an Echinoloth. If you really need a tentacle beast at this level, use the Dreadful Lasher version of the Voor - same CR, so much better.
Dragon Magazine
Battleloth (arrow, axe, crossbow, pick, spiked chain, and sword; Issue #306)
CR: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3
HD: 1, 3, 4, 2, 3, 3
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM II, SM III, SM III, SM III, SM IV, and SM IV
Fluff: These foul, mischievous creatures were created for a war long gone, and now act as mercenaries. They are literal tools for their masters - they all can take the form of certain weapons. They are sly and manipulative, but fairly weak and likely easily commanded.
Advantages: The Arrow Battleloth has a very fast fly speed with perfect maneuverability at a very low level, making it a good aerial scout. The Crossbow 'loth is okay in weapon form, as it confers Precise Shot and reloads itself. It also can act as a rogue replacement with ranks in Disable Device and Open Lock. They all have DR at a very low level, which can come in handy. They can also function as low-level magic weapons, though you have better spells for that.
Disadvantages: They're all fairly weak in combat and quite fragile, even for their level. The Axe and Pick 'loths are especially useless.
Final Evaluation: Only the Arrow and Crossbow 'loths are useful at all, and really then only at extremely low levels. They don't pass the bar in combat, so skip 'em.
OTHER FIENDISH CREATURES:

Monster Manual I
Achaierai
Fluff: These cruel birds are natives of Acheron, where they form rudimentary communities and spend their time searching for prey. They distinctly enjoy torture and causing pain - perhaps the suffering of your opponents will be a nice little hanging carrot.
Advantages: Can toss out some great damage with two claw attacks and a very formidable bite. Spring Attack and speed helps, too. They can spew a toxic cloud that damages foes and drives them temporarily insane. All of its potential is boosted by Augment Summoning - they only really rely on Strength and Constitution.
Disadvantages: No DR and only a fair HP pool means they die quickly.
Final Evaluation: Not a bad choice for throwing down in melee, actually. And driving your enemies insane is always fun. The Achaierai gets a thumbs up from me - not way up, but still up.

Barghest (normal and greater)
CR: 4, 5
HD: 6, 9
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM V, SM VI
Fluff: These lupine fiends exist only to consume the corpses of humanoids, growing in power and malevolence as they do so. Offering them an all-you-can-eat buffet will probably temper their hatred of you.
Advantages: Not too awful in melee. Helpful stealth/social skills, plus a selection of SLAs you won't find anywhere else. Two alternate forms can work wonders in the infiltration department. Greater Barghests are a straight up improvement and are quite useful as buffers and minor damage dealers.
Disadvantages: Suffer from Jack-of-all-trades syndrome. Only okay in melee, only just decent SLAs. You won't fine much use for Misdirection or Rage. Mass Bull's Strength is also useless for you.
Notable SLAs: Blink, Levitate, Misdirection, and Rage at will, plus Charm Monster and Crushing Despair 1/day. Greater Barghests add Invisibility Sphere at will, plus Mass Bull's Strength and Mass Enlarge 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Overlord status here is a bit of an exaggeration - Barghests are okay at everything, but not great at anything. Greater Barghests are significantly better for a small increase in the spell level investment. They can beef up a summoned army, but aren't all that effective by themselves. Binding a Barghest and letting it feed enough to become a Greater Barghest seems like a sound option.

Basilisk, Greater Abyssal
How to get it: SM IX or GPB
Fluff: These are basilisks. But Greater. And Abyssal. They're barely above animal intelligence. Think guard dogs in abyssal courts, perhaps bloodhounds. Easily enslaved.
Advantages: The stereotypical basilisk ability - petrifying gaze. Bit of a damage soak.
Disadvantages: HD/CR split is real unfriendly for binds. Slow. Poor in melee. Low AC. You're praying for an autofail on the petrifying gaze's save, because that's basically the only way that it ever works.
Final Evaluation: Don't ever ever ever bind one. Don't even summon them. Don't even think about thinking about using them. So bad.

Genie, efreeti
Fluff: Efreet are cruel, domineering genies from the Plane of Fire. They absolutely hate serving mortals, and will likely devise all manner of gruesome revenge on you if you're not careful.
Advantages: First things first: it can grant wishes. Three a day, to be precise. But that's a whole different debate. Even without Wish, it has useful SLAs, good sneaky skills, and is very mobile and manueverable.
Disadvantages: Disappointing in melee and relatively fragile. No DR plus a vulnerability to cold.
Notable SLAs: Produce Flame, Pyrotechnics, Scorching Ray at will, plus Invisibility and Wall of Fire 3/day, plus Gaseous Form, Permanent Image, and Polymorph 1/day.
Final Evaluation: First off, any DM who lets you summon a wish-granting efreet is off his damn rocker. It's an easy way to break the game into tiny little unrecoverable pieces. If you have a sane DM, though, the efreet might still be useful - Permanent Image is always handy, and the other SLAs might make it a semi-capable blaster in a pinch.

Hell Hound
How to get it: SM III or LPB
Fluff: Hell hounds are native to Acheron, but they serve evil outsiders and powerful mortals as watch and guard dogs. They are large, infernal doggies and therefore not extremely intelligent, cunning, or deceitful, but they are smarter than your average canine.
Advantages: They're summonable at a relatively low level for their CR, and so are useful around the level 5-6 range. They do a fair bit of damage, are extremely stealthy and have great senses. Fiery breath, too.
Disadvantages: Fire breath does middling damage, is easily resisted and has a long recharge time. Compared to core benchmark SM III choices (the celestial bison and the fiendish ape), they are less capable in melee and certainly less durable.
Final Evaluation: Mediocre melee and a host of miscellaneous skills make them a decent, if curious, choice. While not the best pick for the level, Hell hounds have their uses, especially if you lack a tracker. The Nessian warhound version, while bigger and ostensibly badder, is worse for its level (likely SM VIII) than its little brother - they don't scale all that well.

Howler
Fluff: Native to Pandemonium, Howlers are horrifying quill beasts that are noted for being "surprisingly intelligent" (though at INT=6, that's all quite relative). They do not speak, only howl. Probably easy to command.
Advantages: Quick and relatively capable in melee. Combat Reflexes (plus the Dex to take advantage of it) and 10' reach. But the real beauty is in the quills: each quill provides a cumulative -1 on attacks, saves, and skill/ability checks. That's some good debuffing.
Disadvantages: Not all that durable with middling Con and no DR. The Reflex DC on the quills isn't spectacular. Howl does nothing for you unless you bind it, and then it probably is just going to hurt you.
Final Evaluation: All about the quills. Don't even think about binding one - just summon them for those big bad fights where you need to really cripple one specific opponent. They'll do an admirable job of making your job easier.

Night Hag
How to get it: SM IX or LPB
Fluff: Night Hags are native to Hades, and are the farmers, harvesters, and merchants of soul larvae. They deal equally with all other fiends (at least as equally as their love of evil and profit allows). You'll likely have to entice them with the souls of evil people (they were going to the Hells anyway, right?).
Advantages: Practically nothing. That's right. Nothing about them is unique, compelling, or particularly advantageous. Etherealness is okay. Passably durable. But the best thing that can be said about the Night Hag is that it can Polymorph into something else.
Disadvantages: Awful in melee. Terrible SLA choices, with most of their picks being level one spells. A real cipher when it comes to useful abilities.
Notable SLAs: Magic Missile, Polymorph, Sleep and Etherealness at will.
Final Evaluation: Can't think of one good reason to summon one, not when you have other choices and so many of the others are better than this. And are lower level spells. Skip.

Nightmare
Fluff: Nightmares are intelligent fiendish horses from Hades. Though iconic as mounts, they are notoriously choosy about who can and cannot climb aboard. Particularly powerful (you) and evil (not you, but you can fake it) individuals will be accepted as riders.
Advantages: They do decent damage for their level, are somewhat durable, and very mobile. They can emit a cone of blinding hot smoke and ash as a free action every round, and they have automatic concealment to anything more than 10' away. Etherealness and Astral Projection for them and their riders at CL 20 - great for stealth, evasion, and utility purposes.
Disadvantages: No DR or SR. If you're not using it as a mount, you're not using it to its full potential.
Notable SLAs: Etherealness and Astral Projection at will.
Final Evaluation: Great as a summon if you need a temporary mount or if you're looking to make a Narzugon particularly fearsome. Brilliant as a bind if you're looking to cruise the Transitive Planes. Cauchemars seem like they'd be nicer, but they're sized for Large riders and not a huge step above the base creature - and at SM IX, they'd better do something impressive. But the basic version is great. Ride in style - ride a Nightmare.

Planetouched (tiefling)
CR: 1/2
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM I
Fluff: Tieflings are simply humans with fiendish ancestry.
Advantages: Good stat bonuses for rogues, wizards, really any Dex or Int based class. Charisma penalty makes them easier to deal with.
Disadvantages: Likely have their own agendas, goals, missions, etc. that will conflict with yours.
Final Evaluation: I mention Tieflings not so much because you want to summon a 1st level Warrior (although they're certainly competitive at that level), but because you could feasibly summon Tieflings with class levels. This might be very handy - summoning a thirteenth level Tiefling wizard with SM IX, perhaps? Takes some DM wheedling, though, but could be worth it.

Rakshasa
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM VIII or LPB
Fluff: Rakshasas are a race unto themselves, a scheming, sly group of feline fiends said to originally hail from Acheron. They are now scattered across the planes and are powerful, confident sorcerers. They're quite charismatic and sneaky - beware.
Advantages: They cast as 7th level sorcerers. Great infiltrators with high Bluff, Disguise, and permanent Detect Thoughts. Phenomenal DR - 15/good and piercing. Somewhat stealthy.
Disadvantages: Middling in melee and a subpar HP total. No elemental immunities or resistances to speak of. Bad as binds - by the time Improved Calling kicks in, you'll want to be looking into higher HD creatures.
Notable SLAs: None, but they have sorcerer casting, which typically includes spells like Haste, Suggestion, Invisibility, and Silent Image.
Final Evaluation: Rakshasas are a niche pick - you'll not want to spend an eigth level spell to get some extra third level spells. But they're capable infiltrators. Problem is, infiltration probably takes more time than they have on a summon, and you'll have better choices for a bind. Possibly useful, but likely not.

Salamander (flamebrother, average, and noble)
CR: 3, 6, 10
HD: 4, 9, 15
How to get it: None by RAW, likely SM IV, VI, and VIII
Fluff: These natives of the Plane of Fire are self-involved, cruel, and enjoy tormenting and torturing other beings. Still, their legions are organized and disciplined. Approaching them with a military bearing might appeal to their sense of order.
Advantages: Extra fire damage might come in handy against foes weak to the element. Really not a whole lot to love here.
Disadvantages: Weak in melee all around, DR that is easily bypassed, and poor HP. Vulnerable to cold. The noble salamander's SLAs are very limited thematically and mechanically. Their Constrict ability is limited by their poor grapple modifier.
Notable SLAs: Noble only: Burning Hands, Fireball, Flaming Sphere, and Wall of Fire, plus Dispel Magic 1/day.
Final Evaluation: No. No iteration of the salamander is powerful enough to compete at the level at which it is summoned. If by some random chance a Craft (blacksmith) check is required, that would be the only situation in which they'd be useful.

Shadow Mastiff
Fluff: These big, baying hounds hail from the Plane of Shadow, and stalk the night for any available prey. They're just barely above animal intelligence, so likely to fall for any tricks you can throw their way.
Advantages: Its ability to Bay can evoke panic in an extremely large radius - 300' to be exact. They can gain total concealment in shadowy areas and are respectably sneaky.
Disadvantages: One middling attack. No DR, SR, or resistances, so they're gonna die at the drop of a hat.
Final Evaluation: Eh. Yeth Hounds can Bay and fly (though the Shadow Mastiff's DC is higher). Fiendish dire wolves are better at tripping. A good solid pass, unless you're constructing some sort of planar kennel.

Slaad, Death
Fluff: Death Slaadi are those Limbo toads that have been tainted by evil, twisted and warped into killing machines rather than... okay, well all Slaadi are technically killing machines, but these ones are worse. Reasonably intelligent, and as creatures of pure chaos they'll likely look to break any agreements they make, just for funsies.
Advantages: Capable combatants, the Death Slaad is nonetheless all about the SLAs. Excellent skills, as well. They have decent DR, Fast Healing, and a respectable HP total. Sonic immunity (though that will likely rarely come up).
Disadvantages: All of their feats are combat-based, which chafes a bit when you realize that they're not stellar in melee.
Notable SLAs: Animate Objects, Dispel Magic, Fear, Finger of Death, Fireball, Fly, Invisibility, See Invisibility, and Shatter at will, plus Circle of Death, Cloak of Chaos, and Word of Chaos 3/day, plus Implosion and Power Word Blind 1/day.
Final Evaluation: Seriously. Finger of Death at will? Implosion 1/day on a creature that has a CR low enough to be considered a legitimate summon? I think the Death Slaad's CR is severely underestimated. Which means it's a fantastic creature for you to summon - very few creatures at SM IX have such fine SLAs. Thumbs way up.

Vargouille
Fluff: These hideous shrieking heads haunt the depths of Carceri, where they inhabitate graveyards and ruins, hoping to spread their foul filth and produce more of their kind. Far too weak and dumb to put up a fight - just command them.
Advantages: Low-level flyers can come in handy. The Vargouille's shriek can paralyze your foes, which is excellent.
Disadvantages: Pitiful poison and Kiss is useless in combat (though it might be decent as an interrogation tool). They don't do a lot of damage and are easily swatted from the sky. Weapon Finesse, bleh.
Final Evaluation: Eh. For the same price you can summon a Nashrou, which is mounds better in combat, though not quite as mobile. Vargouilles just don't cut it.

Xill
How to get it: SM V
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Yeth Hound
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Gnorman
2009-08-19, 07:49 PM
They took Gleemax down for a while... so I'll be slogging through the rest of the monsters here.

OTHER FIENDISH CREATURES, PART II

Monster Manual II
Bladeling
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Dune Stalker
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Ethereal Slayer
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Rukarazyll
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Vaporhigu
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:
Monster Manual III
Astral Stalker
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Mivilorn
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Odopi
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Rakshasa, Ak'chazar
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Rakshasa, Naztharune
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Rejkar
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Shrieking Terror
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:
Monster Manual IV
Demonhive (attendant, swarm, and queen)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Howler Wasp
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Skiurid
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Windblade (razor and scythe)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:
Monster Manual V
Ember Guard
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Ethereal Defiler
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Spirrax
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Steelwing
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:
Fiend Folio
Abrian
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Canomorph (harakin, shadurakal, and vultroloth)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Chronotyryn
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Darkweaver
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Demodand (farastu, kelubar, and shator)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Ethergaunt (black, red, and white)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Gathra
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Khaasta
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Kaorti
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Phiuhl
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Steel Predator
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Terlen
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Varrangoin (arcanist, lesser, and rager)
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Vorr
CR:
HD:
How to get it:
Role:
Fluff:
Advantages:
Disadvantages:
Notable SLAs:
Final Evaluation:

Deth Muncher
2009-08-19, 07:58 PM
I like this. A lot. I might have a bad guy in an upcoming campaign be a Malconvoker specifically because of this.

Gnorman
2009-08-19, 11:14 PM
OTHER FIENDISH CREATURES, PART III

Heroes of Horror
Phantasmal Slayer

Sandstorm
Marruspawn Abomination

Races of Stone
Earth Whisper

Book of Vile Darkness
Kython (broodling, juvenile, adult, impaler, slaymaster, slaughterking)
Vaath
Draconomicon
Abyssal Drake
Fluff: The product of a horrible demonic breeding program designed to create flying mounts for demon princes and lords, Abyssal Drake proved too wild and unruly to tame for ridership. Now they are simply wild predators in the vast reaches of the Abyss. Dumb but willful, they can probably be convinced to serve you simply for prey.
Advantages: A Huge flyer, which makes them an excellent potential mount. You might even be able to fit four people on it, if you go by the squaring sizing rules. It has a nice breath weapon, 10d6 fire (half of which is divine) and a halfway decent poison attack with its stinger. Flyby Attack makes it a mobile harrier, diving in and rending with its claws. An extremely fast flyer.
Disadvantages: By the level you get it, its Frightful Presence is useful. Awful aerial maneuverability. Physical damage is lackluster at this point. No DR, either.
Final Evaluation: I like the Abyssal Drake because it's one hell of an intimidating mount. If you need to get somewhere fast (and can't teleport for some reason), they're not a bad bind. They're not the heaviest hitters, but they're great skirmishers and transportation.
Miniatures Handbook
Shadow Beast (ghirrash, khumat, and thaskor)

Planar Handbook
Nightmare, lesser
Pack fiend

Complete Psionic
Shadow Eft

Magic of Incarnum
Ephemeral Hangman
Souleater

Tome of Battle
Rakshasa, Naityan
Reth Dekala

Eberron Campaign Setting