PDA

View Full Version : Silly Build: Into the sun with you!

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 07:23 AM
I was looking through the epic level handbook when I noticed the feat distant shot, which lets you use a projectile or thrown weapon against any target that you have line of sight to. Which, if I'm not mistaken, includes the sun. Then, using hulking hurler's really throw anything, a creature with improved grab could grapple, then throw enemies into the sun! Any ideas for such a build? Or have I missed something that would make this not work?

Eloel
2009-07-25, 07:46 AM
At that level, you might as well teleport the whole world to sun with some epic spell, so there's nothing wrong with it :)

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 07:48 AM
I know, but I like the idea of just grabbing someone, and chucking them into the sun

jmbrown
2009-07-25, 08:08 AM
There's the problem of having the strength to break orbit let alone the atmosphere. An improvised weapon has a range increment of 10' and using the real world distance from our earth to the sun you're looking at a penalty of -49068800000 not counting the -4 for using an improvised weapon and give or take a few million.

Someone calculated that with the proper propulsion you'd need a strength of at least 390 to move the earth out of orbit. The strength necessary to at least break orbit should be around there because once an object in space is in motion it'll stay in motion. How long it'll take until it hits the sun is another story or if it's simply not pulled into the sun or another planets gravitational pull.

[/nerd talk]

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 08:14 AM
The thing is, the epic feat specifically states that you can use any ranged weapon at any target that you have line of sight to with no penalty for range increment. I think really throw anything removes the improvised weapon penalty, but if not, who cares. It's THE SUN! How high could its AC possibly be?

Gorbash
2009-07-25, 08:15 AM
And technically, Sun isn't where it appears to be, that's its position 8 minutes ago...

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-25, 08:18 AM
And technically, Sun isn't where it appears to be, that's its position 8 minutes ago...

Depends on the setting. Maybe it's just the size and distance of the moon?

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-25, 08:20 AM

So you have a 50% miss chance, as per the displacement spell?

McBish
2009-07-25, 08:21 AM
There's the problem of having the strength to break orbit let alone the atmosphere. An improvised weapon has a range increment of 10' and using the real world distance from our earth to the sun you're looking at a penalty of -49068800000 not counting the -4 for using an improvised weapon and give or take a few million.

Someone calculated that with the proper propulsion you'd need a strength of at least 390 to move the earth out of orbit. The strength necessary to at least break orbit should be around there because once an object in space is in motion it'll stay in motion. How long it'll take until it hits the sun is another story or if it's simply not pulled into the sun or another planets gravitational pull.

[/nerd talk]

It's not an improvised weapon, and it has no range penalty, because of the feat and the class ability. It is weird but I think it works.

Yora
2009-07-25, 08:22 AM

I'm not sure. The sun isn't moving, the earth is.
The ray of sunlight is not bending so the light that reaches me right now has traveled in a straight line from the sun to my current position. If I throw something at the sun right now, it should fly at exactly the same path that the sunlight has used to get here. From my perspective, the sun changes its position, but also does the path of the flying object appear to bend.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 08:23 AM
So you have a 50% miss chance, as per the displacement spell?

Take a full-round to throw and 10 ranks in Knowledge (Physics) or Knowledge (Astronomy) to negate?

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 08:24 AM

But, even so, given the size of the sun, if you aimed for the middle, wouldn't you hit anyway? In 8 minutes, the sun doesn't appear to have move far, so part of the sun is in the place you aim, right? (I'm no master of astronomy)

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 08:25 AM
Miss Hennig would be displeased with me. Three semesters of Astronomy/Astrophysics and all my brain comes up with is "the sun isn't actually made of fire, since nothing is combusting."

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-25, 08:42 AM
This would make the most amazing NPC ever.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 08:44 AM
This would make the most amazing NPC ever.

I'm reminded of a monster someone made on the GameFAQs boards - DBWTFHF - Displacer Beast What Throws Fools Hella Far.

I don't actually know anything about it since I pay zero attention to monster stats, though.

Yrcrazypa
2009-07-25, 08:46 AM
I want to play 3.5 DnD now JUST to make a character that can do this. Grapple an enemy, *WOOOoosh!* into the sun he goes! And rinse and repeat to ensure that even the most powerful of foes won't survive. Combine it with a wizard pal that uses Mordenkainens Disjunction and you are good to go.

TheLibrarian
2009-07-25, 08:46 AM
Ummm, well, if you chucked someone at the sun and missed I doubt it would matter much to your projectile, they would still be floating aronud in space and going foomph, or whatever the sound (note, not actual sound) a body makes when a vacuum has it's way with it.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-25, 08:48 AM
Why stop at the sun? Do it at night, no modern lightning means visibility in the night sky is pretty good. Take aim a something few dozen light years away.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-25, 08:53 AM
Why stop at the sun? Do it at night, no modern lightning means visibility in night sky is pretty good. Take aim a something few dozen light years away.

And break the laws of physics in a completely mundane way!

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 08:54 AM
Why stop at the sun? Do it at night, no modern lightning means visibility in night sky is pretty good. Take aim a something few dozen light years away.

I like the way you think.

Fitz
2009-07-25, 08:54 AM
ok, so how long does a ranged attack take to resolve?

because i'm fairly sure that to use this combo exactly as the rules are written means you break the laws of relativity (1 round = 6 seconds, light takes 8 miniutes, unless more than 1 round allowed to reach the target which would lead to silly dodge implications)
thus real wolrd physics can't combo: therefore mytholigical takes precedent, and the sun is probably some divine occupied chariot, and "projectile" ends up on the sun chariot explaining to the sun god what he is doing there ;-)

well makes as much sense as anything else

Fitz

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 09:01 AM
ok, so how long does a ranged attack take to resolve?

because i'm fairly sure that to use this combo exactly as the rules are written means you break the laws of relativity (1 round = 6 seconds, light takes 8 miniutes, unless more than 1 round allowed to reach the target which would lead to silly dodge implications)
thus real wolrd physics can't combo: therefore mytholigical takes precedent, and the sun is probably some divine occupied chariot, and "projectile" ends up on the sun chariot explaining to the sun god what he is doing there ;-)

well makes as much sense as anything else

Fitz

Dungeon Master's Guide, page 791-A:

Verily, all rules preceding do HEREBY take foremost PRECEDENCE over the common laws of the philosophy known as PHYSICS within the world that yon group immerses itself within; with notable EXCEPTION when such philosophical collision would provide a heretofore unknown source of JOVIALITY. Nekicide (or for the common, the slaying of unaware misses which bear the ears and ornamentation of a common housecat) is both inavoidable and inexplicable in such a case; verily, GYGAX doth absolve all Masters of Dungeons and Gaols from sin in such cases. Forsooth!

Gorbash
2009-07-25, 09:01 AM
Nothing in the rules implies that ranged attacks have ETA, so by RAW, they colide with the target immediately.

Glyde
2009-07-25, 09:02 AM
Who cares about Einstein's silliness? I'm more pumped about the multiple sonic booms the victim will make on its way.

BANG BANG BANG

quick_comment
2009-07-25, 09:04 AM

[/nerd talk]

Absolutely not.

Fitz
2009-07-25, 09:06 AM
well if we allow breaking the speed of light, which by RAW we have just done, as well as sonic booms, there will be photic booms (expolsions of light!)

i still like the idea of the target landing in the sun gods chariot and explaining to an irate deity how he arrived there ;-)

Fitz

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 09:34 AM
Now to make a build that focuses on using this! I'm thinking great wyrm gold dragon, with distant shot,snatch and many snatch, the requisite level of hulking hurler. Then pump grapple to the stars! :smalltongue:

mcl01
2009-07-25, 09:43 AM
Problem: If the world is revolving around the sun and you aim radially at the sun, the world still has tangential velocity. Thus the person you throw also has a velocity tangential to the orbit. When you impart a new perpendicular velocity, you in effect probably throw him into some new elliptical orbit around the sun.

Though I think we all agree your opponent would be dead anyway unless he doesn't need to breathe.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 09:45 AM
Unless it hits the sun or another star, there's pretty much no way that would be more than a minor inconvenience for the majority of epic characters worth the label.

Xallace
2009-07-25, 09:46 AM
Are you going to toss some Master Thrower or Bloodstorm Blade into that build? I can't think of what either of those would do off the top of my head, but I get the feeling that it would make things even sillier.

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 09:47 AM
Thing is, I think, based on how DnD works, you would throw in whatever fashion is necessary to hit the sun. For archers shooting at distant foes, they target the foe, not, say, detail the arc they fire in. but, maybe you're right. who knows?

Glyde
2009-07-25, 09:50 AM
Are you going to toss some Master Thrower or Bloodstorm Blade into that build? I can't think of what either of those would do off the top of my head, but I get the feeling that it would make things even sillier.

Bloodstorm blade and get the first level tiger claw maneuver that lets you attack with two weapons. Then you can throw TWO people into the sun!

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 09:51 AM
Bloodstorm blade and get the first level tiger claw maneuver that lets you attack with two weapons. Then you can throw TWO people into the sun!

HOORAY!:biggrin:

TSED
2009-07-25, 10:05 AM
Bloodstorm blade lets you throw something at a target and have it come back.

Bounce a creature off the sun, have its smouldering remains bounce off to see if you can pick off any magic loot off it! And if it SURVIVED being accelerated that fast, the brush with nuclear fission, and all that... Well.. Hello additional falling damage!

Lord Loss
2009-07-25, 10:08 AM
what if a final boss (A Titan with all that stuff) Threw the PCs at the sun?

Xallace
2009-07-25, 10:08 AM
Doesn't Bloodstorm Blade (at higher levels) also let you ricochet your thrown weapon off of several targets?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-25, 10:09 AM
Doesn't Bloodstorm Blade (at higher levels) also let you ricochet your thrown weapon off of several targets?

I think only if you throw it as a melee attack.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 10:14 AM
I think only if you throw it as a melee attack.

Just have to expend an Iron Heart maneuver.

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 10:20 AM
Just have to expend an Iron Heart maneuver.

Now just cover your first target in sovereign glue...

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 10:22 AM
...Sovereign glue?

I propose a new name for this build.

Hulking Hurler What Throws Katamaris Hella Far.

McBish
2009-07-25, 10:35 AM
Ok now I need an item, Gloves of don't get stuck, and an Orb of Sovereign Glue, the Orb sticks to anything it touches and covers them in Glue as well. I want to play the Prince.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 10:38 AM
I'd say coat your gloves in salves of slipperiness then coat that further in quintessence to preserve it?

A medicine ball filled with sovereign glue and holes that let it seep out on impact should work.

Xallace
2009-07-25, 10:49 AM
A medicine ball filled with sovereign glue and holes that let it seep out on impact should work.

OK, so I think this build will also need Improved Bull-Rush and Shock Trooper; Stick all your enemies to the ball, launch it into space... Oh, it needs some kind of delayed effect so it can ignite in space, become a new star and all.
Why hurl an enemy into a star when you could... hurl your enemy into a star!

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 10:58 AM
Perhaps it can be made into a magic item that casts a number of pointblank Meteor Swarms every round, five rounds from the time the command is issued?

Signmaker
2009-07-25, 11:22 AM
Um, didn't the people involved in the 'longest shot' threads end up determining that that's not how the epic feat works? That is, that you're still subject to the maximum range of your weapon? (You just lose the penalties associated with range, apparently.)

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 11:29 AM
Um, didn't the people involved in the 'longest shot' threads end up determining that that's not how the epic feat works? That is, that you're still subject to the maximum range of your weapon? (You just lose the penalties associated with range, apparently.)

That's probably correct, but this is way more awesome and epic's supposed to exist for this kind of thing anyway.

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 11:31 AM

if that's the case, what's the point of saying you need line of sight?

Signmaker
2009-07-25, 11:36 AM
I kind of wonder: How do people in DnD see the sun? As per spot rules, you shouldn't be able to. =P

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 11:39 AM
I suppose its massive size and incredible brightness grants a huge circumstance bonus to spot checks

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-25, 11:43 AM
The song...

...it's in my head again...

obnoxious
sig

RS14
2009-07-25, 11:51 AM
I kind of wonder: How do people in DnD see the sun? As per spot rules, you shouldn't be able to. =P

No concealment during the day, so it can't hide except during an eclipse. A spot check is thus unnecessary.

(It only has a penalty of about -116 to hide, if you extrapolate from this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) and assume that every doubling in size adds four to its hide penalty.)

SirKazum
2009-07-25, 07:38 PM
(It only has a penalty of about -116 to hide, if you extrapolate from this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) and assume that every doubling in size adds four to its hide penalty.)

This has already been discussed in a recent "silly rules" thread actually. If you take distance penalties to Spot into consideration (-1 per 10 feet), even with the huge penalty, it should be nearly impossible to Spot the sun...

jmbrown
2009-07-25, 08:01 PM
if that's the case, what's the point of saying you need line of sight?

Because you can't hit a target if you don't know a target is there in the first place.

Distant shot negates penalties for ranged increments but unless there's a feat I don't know about the maximum range of a thrown weapon is 5 range increments and the maximum increment for a projectile is 10. A person with distant shot could throw a halfling 100' (10' improvised weapon + 10' far shot x 5 max increment) with no penalty. A person without distant shot would throw him at a -10 penalty.

Infinite range is definitely more fun, though.

Random832
2009-07-25, 08:11 PM
This has already been discussed in a recent "silly rules" thread actually. If you take distance penalties to Spot into consideration (-1 per 10 feet), even with the huge penalty, it should be nearly impossible to Spot the sun...

You're saying you can Spot the sun in real life? What's it look like then? All I see is a disc of blinding light that makes it impossible to actually see any of its features. Though I guess it's not so much the distance as the fact that the sun has total concealment.

well if we allow breaking the speed of light, which by RAW we have just done, as well as sonic booms, there will be photic booms (expolsions of light!)

That actually exists, it's called Cerenkov radiation (light actually travels slower than c when not in a vacuum, so particles can travel faster than the actual in-medium speed of light)

Kyrthain
2009-07-25, 09:03 PM
Because you can't hit a target if you don't know a target is there in the first place.

Distant shot negates penalties for ranged increments but unless there's a feat I don't know about the maximum range of a thrown weapon is 5 range increments and the maximum increment for a projectile is 10. A person with distant shot could throw a halfling 100' (10' improvised weapon + 10' far shot x 5 max increment) with no penalty. A person without distant shot would throw him at a -10 penalty.

Infinite range is definitely more fun, though.

But if that's the case, why do they need to include line of sight again? rapid shot doesn't mention it. Manyshot doesn't. no other feats mention that the target has to be within line of sight, so why does this one if not because that is the only caveat?

Random832
2009-07-25, 09:04 PM
no other feats mention that the target has to be within line of sight, so why does this one if not because that is the only caveat?

Because none of the other feats alter what you are capable of hitting.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-25, 09:06 PM
Wait.

Maybe everyone else is just drawing the obvious conclusion, but no one here seems to have stated it.

First you cover your enemy in soverign glue. Then you throw them at the sun in such a way they'll bounce back... and drag the sun with them.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-25, 09:17 PM
The sun is gas, plasma. Since sovereign glue doesn't stick to air, I doubt it would stick to the sun.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-25, 09:21 PM
How has this thread hit page 2 without someone mentioning Chuck, the Ruby Knight Windicator? Throwing people into orbit is his specialty!

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-25, 09:32 PM
Actually, I think it would be sillier to use this epic feat in conjunction with Hulking Hurler's Really Throw Anything and Bloodstorm Blade to throw opponents at other opponents...

Bowling for Bozos, anyone?

VirOath
2009-07-25, 10:54 PM
No concealment during the day, so it can't hide except during an eclipse. A spot check is thus unnecessary.

Don't forget the penalty for being the largest light source in an otherwise dark area.

Not just the hide penalty for carrying a torch...

icefractal
2009-07-26, 03:14 AM
Wow, this gives a new even sillier purpose to the Bloodstorm Blade. You see, previously, I was just thinking of taking a teaspoon and using it to kill an entire army in one round, via the "throw one weapon at everything within range" ability. But now, I realize you could, at night, grab somebody, and throw them at every star in the sky ... in one round.

Kyrthain
2009-07-26, 06:36 AM
Wow, this gives a new even sillier purpose to the Bloodstorm Blade. You see, previously, I was just thinking of taking a teaspoon and using it to kill an entire army in one round, via the "throw one weapon at everything within range" ability. But now, I realize you could, at night, grab somebody, and throw them at every star in the sky ... in one round.

You are awesome

John Campbell
2009-07-26, 10:29 AM

No, because at night you're in darkness, and, if you don't have darkvision, are therefore blind. You can't see the stars, or anything else, regardless of how well-lit it might be.

The obvious solution is to cast darkness on yourself so that you're in shadowy illumination and can see.

Asheram
2009-07-26, 11:05 AM
I do love this idea.. The hulking hurler suicide bomber!

"Watch it! watch it! Noone move or I'll throw this rock!"

(Dm. I take aim at a random star and throws!)

*... Alright. Noone is able to react as you suddenly accelerate your throwing arm and stone to several times the speed of light. You explode, and take the castle, town and county with you.*

DragoonWraith
2009-07-26, 11:24 AM
Ummm, well, if you chucked someone at the sun and missed I doubt it would matter much to your projectile, they would still be floating aronud in space and going foomph, or whatever the sound (note, not actual sound) a body makes when a vacuum has it's way with it.
More notably, even if you were somehow in a vacuum that never the less allowed for the transmission of sound, a vacuum doesn't do anything to the human body that would be audible the the human ear. You get some bulging, but human tissue is quite strong enough to withstand its own pressure and maintain enough pressure on the blood and other fluids to prevent boiling, even in a perfect vacuum. The bit about you exploding is a myth.

You would also not freeze, at least not at any appreciable rate.

Asphyxiation is the only real immediately life threatening aspect of being in outer space without proper protection. Next would be bombardment by various dangerous forms of radiation.

SSGoW
2009-07-26, 01:11 PM
omg... if you had the xray vision goggles you can throw someone threw another person

wait can x-ray goggles see threw humans? also does any form of scrying grant line of sight? O_o

Xallace
2009-07-26, 01:30 PM
Distant shot negates penalties for ranged increments but unless there's a feat I don't know about the maximum range of a thrown weapon is 5 range increments and the maximum increment for a projectile is 10.

Well, just to clarify:

Distant Shot [Epic]
Prerequisites
Dex 25, Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Spot 20 ranks.

Benefit
You may throw or fire a ranged weapon at any target within line of sight, with no penalty for range.

...looks to me like our Hurler is limited only by how powerful a telescope he has.

EDIT: Hmm, I seem to have missed that debate on Page 2. Alright, well, here's the feat text anyway.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-26, 03:57 PM
Okay! This feat, hulking hurler, katamari item, enemies, and the night sky idea. You throw them, and instead of having them plummet into the sun, or a distant star, you get to play 3-D pinball with the ENTIRE UNIVERSE, all at speeds nothing was ever meant to move.

Wraith
2009-07-26, 04:23 PM
So how about a build for this thing?
Forgive me if this is going to look amateurish, but I've never tried to build a character so specifically built to a single task before, and I have a limited number of books to look through :smallredface:

So.... What we need to throw someone into the sun:
Epic Feat: Far Shot
1 Level of Hulking Hurler

These has the following requirements:
Race: Any Large Sized
BAB: +5
Dex: 25
Spot: 20
Feat: Point Blank Shot
Feat: Power Attack
Feat: Weapon Focus (Thrown)

Doing this with a Fighter isn't fun. Spot would have to be Cross-Classed and using an (often) dump stat, so I'd actually be tempted to go with Monk - that way your DEX boosts are being to put to good use, we have a proficiency in a thrown weapon (Shuriken - yes, I know, I know...) and you get the Unarmed Strike skill for free, if we do decide on going down the route of picking up Improved Unarmed/Improved Grapple later on.

1-6 (Monk) and 7 (Hulking Hurler) would cover all the basic Feat requirements to do what we want, but after that, I'm a bit stuck. I'd probably take another 2 levels of Monk in order to pick up Cleave and thus qualify for War Hulk, as the stronger we are then the higher our 'Light Load' is AND we can keep putting stat boosts into DEX at the same time.

I'm not altogether sure about what would make for a good race, though. A lot of Large Sized classes have penalties to DEX (which we don't want), BUT if we started out with the 'Product of Infernal Dalliance' feat (Tome of Fiends) we could later pick up the Large Size feat at level 6, thus solving the problem so long as we don't mind putting off qualifying for Hulking Hurler until level 10 or so, I think.
Not really a problem, as Far Shot doesn't arrive until level 21 and we're just counting Feat slots and Skill Points until then...

What do we think?
Race: Human
Bonus Feat: Product of Infernal Dalliance
1 - Monk 1 (Feat: Point Blank Shot)
2 - Monk 2
3 - Monk 3 (Feat: Power Attack)
4 - Monk 4
5 - Monk 5
6 - Monk 6 (Feat: Weapon Focus)
7 - Monk 7
8 - Monk 8
9 - Monk 9 (Feat: Large Size)
10 - Hulking Hurler 1
11 - Hulking Hurler 2
12 - Hulking Hurler 3 (Feat: Cleave)
13 - War Hulk 1
14 - War Hulk 2
15 - War Hulk 3 (Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike)
16 - War Hulk 4
17 - War Hulk 5
18 - War Hulk 6 (Feat: Improved Grapple)
19 - War Hulk 7
20 - Monk 10 (Both to top up out 'Spot' skill before the next Feat)
21 - Monk 11 (Epic Feat: Far Shot)

Yes, it's ugly, but gosh-darnit it's my first try and I think it'd work! :smallbiggrin:

DragoonWraith
2009-07-26, 04:28 PM
omg... if you had the xray vision goggles you can throw someone threw another person

wait can x-ray goggles see threw humans? also does any form of scrying grant line of sight? O_o
Pretty much all scrying gives line-of-sight. It's line-of-effect that they usually don't grant (no casting spells on scried subjects), but that doesn't matter here.

Are x-ray goggles an actual item? Because real x-ray goggles would only let you see whatever ambient x-rays are around, which generally means little-to-none anywhere living things are found (since x-rays are decidedly bad for things' health). The only reason x-rays work is because they specifically shine a bunch of x-rays through someone for the x-ray-sensitive camera on the other side to pick up. Without that source of x-rays on the opposite side of whatever you're looking at, you wouldn't see anything.

Kyrthain
2009-07-26, 04:34 PM
@wraith

don't forget that the creature needs improved grab/snatch. without this, you can't feasibly throw creatures against their will. therefore, being huge, with snatch and improved snatch, or improved grab, is necessary to use this against medium creatures. picking up the feat multisnatch (-10 to just hold with snatch/improved grab, rather than -20) would really help too.

Heliomance
2009-07-26, 04:41 PM
Also Greater Multisnatch, which drops the penalty entirely.

Wraith
2009-07-26, 05:07 PM
Hmm... That's a lot of Feats we need, then. Doing it as a Fighter might be the best way afterall, although we're going to struggle to get Spot 20 out of that lot by level 21.... :smallconfused:

Unless we only take 2 levels of Monk (or Rogue, or anything else with Spot as a Class Skil at 19 and 20, probably) and the other 9 as a Fighter, so that'd give us.... 4 slots for spare Feats? Ugh, no more! My brain aches too much to crack open my library and look up the details all over again... :smallwink:

Unless anyone knows a LA+0 Large sized PC Race that can always take it as a class skill...? :smalltongue:

Nai_Calus
2009-07-26, 05:09 PM
Also Greater Multisnatch, which drops the penalty entirely.

That name makes me giggle so much. Too much exposure to people who watch hentai.

What you do is you throw someone at the sun, and when the sun god comes calling to beat you up for throwing someone at him, you blame it on someone you really want dead.

Tallis
2009-07-26, 08:06 PM
Who cares about Einstein's silliness? I'm more pumped about the multiple sonic booms the victim will make on its way.

BANG BANG BANG
I'm more interested in whether or not the friction would ignite the atmosphere on the way out. Or maybe split the atoms of the air as it hits them?
Apocolyptic Throw anyone?

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 08:08 PM
I'm more interested in whether or not the friction would ignite the atmosphere on the way out. Or maybe split the atoms of the air as it hits them?

I don't know my advanced physics very well, but I believe that if you're greatly exceeding the speed of light, 'split atoms' is about as trivial a concern for you as a commoner is for a riding dog.

Connington
2009-07-26, 08:30 PM
More notably, even if you were somehow in a vacuum that never the less allowed for the transmission of sound, a vacuum doesn't do anything to the human body that would be audible the the human ear. You get some bulging, but human tissue is quite strong enough to withstand its own pressure and maintain enough pressure on the blood and other fluids to prevent boiling, even in a perfect vacuum. The bit about you exploding is a myth.

You would also not freeze, at least not at any appreciable rate.

Asphyxiation is the only real immediately life threatening aspect of being in outer space without proper protection. Next would be bombardment by various dangerous forms of radiation.

You don't explode, but pressure is what's going to kill you. It's like when a diver gets the bends, only worse. That willl get you before asphyxiation, although not by much.

Tallis
2009-07-26, 08:34 PM
I don't know my advanced physics very well, but I believe that if you're greatly exceeding the speed of light, 'split atoms' is about as trivial a concern for you as a commoner is for a riding dog.

I suppose there's the infinite mass issue. Suddenly the thing you threw is everywhere at once. Including where you are.

.....I guess you really couldn't pull this trick more than once.

................................................I wonder how much xp the universe is worth?

herrhauptmann
2009-07-26, 08:34 PM
To add to the feats needed, how about 'throw enemy' from Races of Stone? I think 'fling ally' is a prereq.

SethFahad
2009-07-27, 12:18 AM
Guys! Come on! I can't believe I'm reading this... :smallannoyed:
The light that travels here, travels with the speed of light (duh!!!)
How fast will the thrown projectile travel towards the sun?
What about the orbit thinky? Or the ... pfff... naahhhh...

The title of this thread says it all... :smallbiggrin:
"SILLY"

Kyrthain
2009-07-27, 07:30 AM
To add to the feats needed, how about 'throw enemy' from Races of Stone? I think 'fling ally' is a prereq.

that's really a feat? if so, then what exactly does it do? it might be perfect for our purposes

quick_comment
2009-07-27, 08:59 AM

The atmosphere is not combustible.

Lapak
2009-07-27, 10:32 AM
Am I the only one whose first response was not
'arrrrrgh I'm falling into a nuclear furnace'
but rather
'Helios is going to be PISSED OFF if you keep throwing people at his chariot while he's trying to keep his eyes on the road?'

Grynning
2009-07-27, 10:46 AM
*ahem*
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/catgirls.gif

besides that though, very amusing thread.

ericgrau
2009-07-27, 10:57 AM
Just one question. If you throw pun-pun - with nigh-infinite stats and every d&d special ability he could grab - at a far away star, will he have any ability that lets him return?

EDIT: Hmm, i think his familiar might be able to throw him back with this throwing build, but then will the earth survive the impact? Would be good vengeance I guess. And now you just successfully nuked the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJG4Tq88Ek#t=1m33s) by pissing off pun-pun when you chucked him at a far away star.

PId6
2009-07-27, 11:00 AM
Just one question. If you throw pun-pun - with nigh-infinite stats and every d&d special ability he could grab - at a far away star, will he have any ability that lets him return?
Infinite fly speed?

Talya
2009-07-27, 11:01 AM
This concept smacks of "Scion." Only it's probably much easier to do in Scion...

ericgrau
2009-07-27, 11:07 AM
Infinite fly speed?

Nigh infinite perhaps, depending on how many rounds he's had to build it up. But he also has quite a long distance to cross.

Delaney Gale
2009-07-27, 11:20 AM

Actually, speaking as a graviational cosmologist... by traveling faster than the speed of light, the propelled object could begin going backwards in time, and hit the sun BEFORE it was thrown...

PId6
2009-07-27, 11:30 AM
Nigh infinite perhaps, depending on how many rounds he's had to build it up. But he also has quite a long distance to cross.
Well, using the infinite action loop trick they managed to come up with, he essentially has as much time as he wants to buff up, and he can do it whenever, so I doubt that'd be much of a problem.

Actually, speaking as a graviational cosmologist... by traveling faster than the speed of light, the propelled object could begin going backwards in time, and hit the sun BEFORE it was thrown...
That's... paradoxical.

Lapak
2009-07-27, 11:49 AM
Actually, speaking as a graviational cosmologist... by traveling faster than the speed of light, the propelled object could begin going backwards in time, and hit the sun BEFORE it was thrown...That will make up for the "aiming at where the sun was, rather than where it is" problem quite nicely, then!

Wraith
2009-07-27, 02:05 PM
That will make up for the "aiming at where the sun was, rather than where it is" problem quite nicely, then!

The real fun starts when you aim for the sun and MISS it (Nat 1, or whatever...)

That would suggest that the enemy misses the sun and begins to circle within it's orbit BEFORE it is thrown... meaning that it is still there in orbit when it comes hurtling out of the void and then begins orbiting itself.... :smalleek:

herrhauptmann
2009-07-27, 02:16 PM
that's really a feat? if so, then what exactly does it do? it might be perfect for our purposes
Never mind, not as useful as I thought. You need grapple checks. Isn't there a bunch of desert wind powers that utilize throwing people over your shoulder?

From Races of Stone:
Fling Enemy:
Prereq: Str 19, rock hurling (feat) or racial ability to throw rocks, size large or larger (powerful build counts)
When you're grappling a foe, you can fling him away from you with a successful grapple check. Flinging requires standard action. For every 5 points by which your grapple beats your foes grapple or escape artist, you can throw that foe 10 feet. Your foe lands prone in the square you designate. You can't throw a foe farther than you can throw an ally (see fling ally). Must be strong enough to lift him over your head. Enemy does not provoke AOO for this movement.

Kyrthain
2009-07-27, 02:50 PM
Never mind, not as useful as I thought. You need grapple checks. Isn't there a bunch of desert wind powers that utilize throwing people over your shoulder?

From Races of Stone:
Fling Enemy:
Prereq: Str 19, rock hurling (feat) or racial ability to throw rocks, size large or larger (powerful build counts)
When you're grappling a foe, you can fling him away from you with a successful grapple check. Flinging requires standard action. For every 5 points by which your grapple beats your foes grapple or escape artist, you can throw that foe 10 feet. Your foe lands prone in the square you designate. You can't throw a foe farther than you can throw an ally (see fling ally). Must be strong enough to lift him over your head. Enemy does not provoke AOO for this movement.

Hmm, so the snatch feat is probably better for our purposes.
Edit: That sounds more like setting sun than desert wind

ericgrau
2009-07-27, 03:06 PM
Well, using the infinite action loop trick they managed to come up with, he essentially has as much time as he wants to buff up, and he can do it whenever, so I doubt that'd be much of a problem.

Well that does it then. Or even without infinite speed he can take as many actions as he needs to fly back. Out of curiousity, does he have any particular way to locate earth from several thousand light years away?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-27, 03:11 PM
Well that does it then. Or even without infinite speed he can take as many actions as he needs to fly back. Out of curiousity, does he have any particular way to locate earth from several thousand light years away?Spot check of YES.

Plus any divination spell that could do it as an SLA.

Plus Greater Teleport.

Plus he has NI reach to all planes, so he just chooses to grapple someone on earth with his NI Grapple check and moves into their square.

Need I go on?

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-07-27, 04:22 PM
... There's something very wrong with me.

The first thing to come to mind is to find some way to use divination effects so that a Bloodstorm can pinball an Atropal throughout the entire Prime Material or to use an epic wep (coated with Sov-Glue) and planar portals to go harpoon fishing for gods.

SSGoW
2009-07-27, 07:15 PM
Pretty much all scrying gives line-of-sight. It's line-of-effect that they usually don't grant (no casting spells on scried subjects), but that doesn't matter here.

Are x-ray goggles an actual item? Because real x-ray goggles would only let you see whatever ambient x-rays are around, which generally means little-to-none anywhere living things are found (since x-rays are decidedly bad for things' health). The only reason x-rays work is because they specifically shine a bunch of x-rays through someone for the x-ray-sensitive camera on the other side to pick up. Without that source of x-rays on the opposite side of whatever you're looking at, you wouldn't see anything.

i haven;t read the rest of the thread but i thought i would answer this :D http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#xRayVision

you can see through foot of stone =] and technically you can see through a human since humans are made of the same things as wood and dirt(technically)

Coidzor
2009-07-27, 08:35 PM
Nothing in the rules implies that ranged attacks have ETA, so by RAW, they colide with the target immediately.

Now this... This is a real rail gun!