PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Questor

Raz_Fox
2009-07-25, 11:23 AM
So, does anyone on this here forum read Tales of the Questor? (http://www.rhjunior.com/totq/) Heroism, adventure, underdogs, tauric gators, wights, Fair Folk and Rat Kings, not to mention my favorite protagonist I've ever encountered in a webcomic.

If you haven't, give it a read!

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-25, 11:26 AM
Ah, it's that time of the month again.

For some reason, Tales of the Questor has more threads than any webcomic but Dominic Deegan. It's never actually discussed in depth, though.

I used to read it, but then sort of forgot about it and never could get back into it.

It was fun, though.

Raz_Fox
2009-07-25, 11:32 AM
...I didn't find a single thread when I searched to find any topics on it. Never saw any threads on it, either.

OH WELL THESE THINGS HAPPEN

Gez
2009-07-25, 12:12 PM
I think the search feature doesn't look in threads that are too old anyway.
But using Google for "questor site:giantitp.com" works and gives this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33894
Four pages, but only one thread.

If you want a comic that does have a couple dozen threads here, try Sinfest.

Adumbration
2009-07-25, 02:37 PM
I'm a frequent reader, although lately the updates have been very infrequent, so I just pop in once a month to read whatever updates have showed up.

I like it. It has that sort of fairy tale quality to it.

VariaVespasa
2009-07-26, 05:56 AM
Well he's got, what, 7 strips he does, so he tends to do strips in clumps, then wander off to another strip for a while and so on. He'll get back to it soon enough, but I think he's more in a Nip & Tuck, and Goblin Hollow kinda headspace at the moment.

Drakyn
2009-07-26, 08:22 AM
I've actually heard of this, but the means from which I heard of it actually freaked me out enough that I don't want to look at it. I flipped it open to one or two random pages, but I honestly cannot read it without feeling bad because everything I learn about the guy who does it seems to tell me he's a fairly terrible person.

http://limyaael.livejournal.com/564695.html?thread=9000407 (he has the first comment, the rant itself is a very good read)

http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?f=527&t=78469 (second page has precise details)

It's not even his opinions, it's the way he expresses them. He seems to be one of those people that is RIGHT and you are WRONG and therefore worthy of all-caps things like CONTEMPT and BILE and any measures may be used against you with a clear conscience because of this. His livejournal (http://rhjunior.livejournal.com/)is even dubbed Spleen Squeezin's, and it couldn't be more accurate. He seems to be, simply put, a vitriolic jerk, and having heard it said a few times that TotQ has very low to almost nonexistant "author message" throbbing through its veins I'm astounded, especially considering some of the other comics he's come up with.

Gez
2009-07-26, 08:59 AM
having heard it said a few times that TotQ has very low to almost nonexistant "author message" throbbing through its veins I'm astounded, especially considering some of the other comics he's come up with.

Yeah. At a time he interspersed it with another comic strip in which he explained that the liberals, atheists and French are evil filth and that evolution is a lie, but then he reorganized his website and moved those "hard bunions" strip to their own page. Not sure where they are now. Anyway in his other comics there's a lot of jingoism and ridiculous strawmen.

Adumbration
2009-07-26, 10:20 AM
Drakyn, do you have a personal problem with the guy? I did not recognize your description from the links provided. I have not read his other webcomics, but Tales of the Questor at least has very little to none political message - I haven't been able to find any - and the religious overtones are only occasional and nothing I wouldn't expect from a fantasy world.

Drakyn
2009-07-26, 10:42 AM
I know, that's what surprises me - the degree of separation, the willingness to set aside that sort of thing for a webcomic, especially when he's not reluctant at all to go nuts on it in most of his others.
I could be said to have a personal issue with him insofar as I simply can't read his comic even with this incredibly deep gap between his opinions and its content (if by personal you mean contact and tiff with, no, I've never talked to him). And I tried not to link the most overt stuff deliberately; I know there's a moratorium on religion and politics in the forums, and that's where most of his rants get going (the samples linked are more just a pair of examples of him acting somewhat like a twit - in one case destabilizing a forum due to oversensitive topic deletions, in the other, displaying general insensitivity and ignorance, which he is mobbed for). If you want some more venomous samples from when he's on his home turf, just fish around in his livejournal, check how he talks and responds to others. Whenever he gets within eighty yards of those two topics it goes all pineapple-shaped.

VariaVespasa
2009-07-27, 12:03 AM
Er, dont you mean "Wahooni-shaped"?

I'm sorta amazed by the degree of seperation too, but I have to say I like most of the strips he does. FoH, which is what Hard Onions evolved into, is the only one thats potentially questionable really, and in its new form is too young to judge really. QQSR is a bit preachy in certain non-religion-based ways but still entertaining enough. Currently he's expressing some opinions about ST:TNG, and what it says that they felt it necessary to have a therapist on the bridge... :P

All in all I'd recommend getting over your objections and reading TotQ, its quite good.

As to Spleen Squeezings- yup, he is indeed a tad rabid on that, but you do realise that he has specifically and outright said that he deliberately trolls on that, yes? I'm suprised so many people keep forgetting that important tidbit... :)

averagejoe
2009-07-27, 12:58 AM
The thing is, he doesn't do much author ranting, but when he does it really comes through strong; too strong for my tastes. Even when he's perfectly and completely correct-like when Quentyn does his little rant about how young children should be allowed some comfort by their mothers-it's made so obvious that it's just distracting. I try really hard to overlook these things, because it's a pretty great comic otherwise and I really want to like it, but the author's own ego pushes through far too often, and it's really annoying at best. (And very, well, scary and fanatical at worst, like any time he talks about magic.)

Drakyn
2009-07-27, 10:29 AM
Er, dont you mean "Wahooni-shaped"?

I'm sorta amazed by the degree of seperation too, but I have to say I like most of the strips he does. FoH, which is what Hard Onions evolved into, is the only one thats potentially questionable really, and in its new form is too young to judge really. QQSR is a bit preachy in certain non-religion-based ways but still entertaining enough. Currently he's expressing some opinions about ST:TNG, and what it says that they felt it necessary to have a therapist on the bridge... :P

All in all I'd recommend getting over your objections and reading TotQ, its quite good.

As to Spleen Squeezings- yup, he is indeed a tad rabid on that, but you do realise that he has specifically and outright said that he deliberately trolls on that, yes? I'm suprised so many people keep forgetting that important tidbit... :)
Are you out of your mind?! Don't you know that if you think about/read/type "Wahooni" more than three times in one day, one appears on your bed? My computer is in my bedroom, and I can't afford losing access to it for the required half-year of cleaning, you heartless internet person. :smallfurious:
I'm not sure how doing something lousy becomes better if you freely admit it. If I warn someone that when I'm at a public gathering I like to call people gay at the top of my lungs in between speaking to them, I don't expect for them to accept it.

The thing is, he doesn't do much author ranting, but when he does it really comes through strong; too strong for my tastes. Even when he's perfectly and completely correct-like when Quentyn does his little rant about how young children should be allowed some comfort by their mothers-it's made so obvious that it's just distracting. I try really hard to overlook these things, because it's a pretty great comic otherwise and I really want to like it, but the author's own ego pushes through far too often, and it's really annoying at best. (And very, well, scary and fanatical at worst, like any time he talks about magic.)
Also, this is precisely the sort of thing that I'm massively allergic to. Three years back I would barely be conscious of it - hell, I managed to read Terry Goodkind with admirable blankness. Now the process is reversed, and whenever I hear an author's siren call wafting out of his character's gaping, distended maws I feel queasiness overcome me.

VariaVespasa
2009-07-28, 04:00 AM
How on earth did you manage to read Terry Goodkind without parts of your brain sueing for divorce? Thats unpossible! :P At least RHJ generally only says a thing once or twice when he's preaching, not 5-10 times like Goodkind. Lordy, that boy took a few too many philosophy 101 courses back in the day...

Drakyn
2009-07-28, 09:59 AM
Too many? I think he read Ayn Rand's books once, sat in silence in his darkened and rat-infested cellar for eight hours without blinking, then bolted straight upright screaming "AAAIE GALT-SOGGOTH, AIIE CTHUTLAS, THE PATH OF PARAGONS AND CARICATURES MAY ETERNAL LIE/WITH AUTHOR ON BOARD THE STORY CANNOT DIE!!!!!!!!!" as his withered frame contorted in abyssal agony, muscles snapping across bone like freeze-dried cobras.

Someone's who's absolutely sure they're right and will never be proven otherwise is bad. Someone who's absolutely sure they're right, will never be proven otherwise, and that everyone else is wrong is worse.