PDA

View Full Version : If I were to have an OotS tattoo...

dan4ster
2009-07-25, 12:18 PM
If I were to have a tattoo of an OotS character it would be O-Chul in Paladin gear raising his katana about to smite evil (so, glowing blue thing) on my ankle. Not because I like paladins, but because O-Chul is so f-ing badass. As a matter of fact, I might get it.

Ancalagon
2009-07-25, 12:32 PM
O'Chul might be f-ing badass, but I doubt a stick-figure-tattoo of a paladin is as well... ;)

someonenonotyou
2009-07-25, 12:33 PM
wow i like O'Chul as much as the next guy but i would not get a tatoo of him

littlequietguy
2009-07-25, 12:42 PM
:mitd: would be cool i guess but yes O-chul seems like the best decision.

Raphite1
2009-07-25, 01:24 PM
OOTS readers know how badass O-Chul is, but most people who see the tattoo will have never even heard of the comic. And you will never be able to convince a random person that a stick figure paladin is badass, or even remotely close to it.

Skorj
2009-07-25, 01:42 PM
Well, better O-Chul than a word in a language you don't speak, and you're just taking someone's word on what it means! Still, the comic's not over - you might regret that tatto if the next strip shows O-Chul molesting sheep. Or, you might regret that tattoo if you grow up. :smalltongue: Either way ...

Mr. Pin
2009-07-25, 01:44 PM
My tattoo would be Belkar, poised to spring! And the point isn't to convince others of your badassery, It's just to have a tattoo of O-Chul/Belkar! don't tell me it wouldn't be worth it!

... *waits for the next 10 posts to tell him it wouldn't be worth it*

Xanedan
2009-07-25, 01:54 PM
The only character I'd actually consider would be Thog.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-25, 01:55 PM
@ MR. Pin. it wouldn't be worth it.:smallbiggrin:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-25, 02:07 PM
I've thought about getting the cast page tatted onto my bicep, but I'm not sure how many costume changes are left. If I had Elan in his original Bard Costume, I'd have missed out on his Locke costume. Same goes with Haley's hair, and any other future changes.

I already have a tat, and want a second one. I'm looking at getting a dragon rider, but I'm also getting older...

But one thing to remember about a tat? They don't wash off, they don't wipe off with baby oil. They are permanent, and if you don't like where story ends, you're stuck with it. And trying to explain Roy, or O-Chul, or the dirt farmers in 20 years to your grandkids?

Nevitan
2009-07-25, 02:10 PM
And trying to explain Roy, or O-Chul, or the dirt farmers in 20 years to your grandkids?

That's when you bust out your collection of OotS books. :smallcool:

Starscream
2009-07-25, 02:13 PM
I doubt I'll ever get a tattoo, OOTS or otherwise, but if I did it would be Elan exclaiming "I'm participating!"

Zanaril
2009-07-25, 02:17 PM
A while ago someone posted a photo of their "I'm on an adventure!" Elan tattoo. :smallamused:

amanamana
2009-07-25, 02:41 PM
If you ask me, I think the better design in OoTS for a tattoo is the Southern Pantheon.
Or a "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning". That would be sweet!

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-25, 02:44 PM
If you ask me, I think the better design in OoTS for a tattoo is the Southern Pantheon.
Or a "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning". That would be sweet!

I like both of these >.>

MITD could also be a good one <^_^> though O-Chul certainly isn't bad!

Ancalagon
2009-07-25, 03:37 PM
OOTS readers know how badass O-Chul is, but most people who see the tattoo will have never even heard of the comic. And you will never be able to convince a random person that a stick figure paladin is badass, or even remotely close to it.

Making yourself a tattoo (whatever tattoo!) for what others think of it is the most lame thing you can do. You do it for you, and thus it does not matter what others think about it, you have to like and it and you have to like it enough, even if Rich screws up the comic over the next years and also in 30 years from now...

edit: Again, I missed the most important part. ;)

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-25, 03:56 PM
If I had the money, I'd pay whomsoever had the nerve to get the first panel of 635 as a tattoo, say, on their back or something. That'd be awesome. At least you never need to explain that one, it just LOOKS awesome - at least to the edge of the runic circle (and probably without the ha's over part of the circle). It's probably easier to not need to explain it without the other souls hovering around.

rangermania
2009-07-25, 06:09 PM
O Chul Smiting Evil with an iron bar, in his undies is much more bad ass if you ask me...

And it would look better on your ankle (cute if not bad ass) ...

TheJayPhoenix
2009-07-25, 07:39 PM
I would simply have the MITD's mismatched, yellow eyes. :smallsmile:

Boaromir
2009-07-25, 10:15 PM
I probably won't ever get a tattoo, but if i did, it'd be the magnet with Elan going, "I bet the 4th Edition STILL doesn't have rules for tummyaches."

Saknussem
2009-07-25, 10:47 PM
Panel 2, Strip 407, rotated to have the Ox on top (my Chinese zodiac birth year animal) but the whole thing very small, about 1.5 to 2 inches across

Lissou
2009-07-25, 11:05 PM
And trying to explain Roy, or O-Chul, or the dirt farmers in 20 years to your grandkids?

Grandkids in 20 years? That's fast reproduction (unless you meant yourself. You might already have kids and everything).

osyluth
2009-07-26, 02:13 AM
I like Haley's tattoo.

Pronounceable
2009-07-26, 05:00 AM
Belkster upon a mountain of corpses. No doubt about it.

Liwen
2009-07-26, 06:26 AM
Tats aren't permanent. There are ways to remove them. However, the available options might not sound very appealing to most people. The following are all the methods I can think off, from the less to the most insane.

1. Properly removing the skin in the area of the tattoo with the help of a professional surgeon and then proceed to apply a layer of artificially grown skin on the exposed internal tissues. Costly, but safe. The entire procedure and recovery time varies from 2 weeks to 2 months. Several factors such as the size of the tattoo and the quality of your local medical care system will determine the exact length of the whole ordeal.

2. Apply a new tattoo over the old one using only a pigmentation that matches your natural skin color, thus creating an 'invisible' tattoo that will mask the old one.

3. Remove the body part where the tattoo is located entirely and permanently. A wee bit harsh but also probably the simplest and cheapest of all methods.

4. Ask a wizard.

5. Swap bodies with your sworn enemy.

6. Travel through time to prevent your earlier self to actually get the tattoo.

7. Kill everyone that has noticed the tattoo. Should no one remain to remember it's existence, in a way, the tattoo ceases to be.

8. Pray.

Please, if you have any additional methods you would like to submit, share them with us.

In regard to the original topic, I believe I would get a insane Miko Tattoo smiting a cute fuzzy little rabbit baby. And then use method #2 to erase it when I return to my senses.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-26, 06:41 AM
Grandkids in 20 years? That's fast reproduction (unless you meant yourself. You might already have kids and everything).

Yes, yes I do. 2 of them to be exact, ages 16 and 8, soon to be 17 and 9.

Not everyone who plays D&D or reads webcomics is a teenager or in their early 20's. Nor is everyone who plays D&D after their 30th birthday a loser who still lives in their mom's basement!

PId6
2009-07-26, 06:47 AM
I want a tattoo of "I'm invisible!" in a place that can only be seen if I am invisible.

Zanaril
2009-07-26, 06:52 AM
Tats aren't permanent. There are ways to remove them. However, the available options might not sound very appealing to most people. The following are all the methods I can think off, from the less to the most insane.

In regard to the original topic, I believe I would get a insane Miko Tattoo smiting a cute fuzzy little rabbit baby. And then use method #2 to erase it when I return to my senses.

There's also a type of ink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfinitInk) made up of tiny beads of biodegradable pigment that will burst under a certain wavelength. The pigment then just dissolves, making it possible to completely remove the tattoo.

I want a tattoo of "I'm invisible!" in a place that can only be seen if I am invisible.

That could lead to awkward questions.

Ancalagon
2009-07-26, 07:22 AM
There's also a type of ink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfinitInk) made up of tiny beads of biodegradable pigment that will burst under a certain wavelength. The pigment then just dissolves, making it possible to completely remove the tattoo.

I would not trust in something as that. Those techniques sometimes work better, sometimes worse (same as time-fading tattoos, some parts do not fade over time if they were cut too deep). I'd also not trust such special inks to be perfectly harmless.

About Liwen: You forgot the removal of tattoos with lasers, that's also possible. But all options are not perfect, as they leave micro-scars (or larger ones in case you exchange skin). Also, surgery is always a risk.

I think the bottom line is: A tattoo is a permanent change of your body, even if you remove it, it probably won't vanish completely and traceless - if you make a tattoo, better make sure you'll also like it in three decades.

Zanaril
2009-07-26, 07:49 AM
I'd still put it above body swapping and time travel on a scale of plausability. :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2009-07-26, 07:55 AM
The mind boggles he forgot the simple solution: Heal. Regenerate should also work, I guess. ;)

Zanaril
2009-07-26, 08:32 AM
The mind boggles he forgot the simple solution: Heal. Regenerate should also work, I guess. ;)

You hack that bit of skin off first, then heal it.

Ancalagon
2009-07-26, 08:50 AM
You hack that bit of skin off first, then heal it.

As a tattoo is basically a wound, heal should take care of it without hacking things off. :)

GreatEscape_13
2009-07-26, 03:11 PM
The only character I'd actually consider would be Thog.

Agreed. :thog:

Thrax
2009-07-26, 03:50 PM
If Thog, then only in Leprechaun costume. :D

Zanaril
2009-07-26, 03:52 PM
As a tattoo is basically a wound, heal should take care of it without hacking things off. :)

But wouldn't the skin just heal over the ink?

Liwen
2009-07-26, 05:37 PM
So you would add the solution 'Ask a cleric' somewhere? Okay let's put it right before wizard.

So far we have

1. Laser removable ink

2. Time fading tattoo

3. Surgery

4. Apply skin dye

5. Remove limb

6 Ask a cleric

7. Ask a Wizard

8. body swap

9. Time travel

10. Kill witness

11. Pray

Anything else we forgot?

Zanaril
2009-07-26, 06:21 PM
Turn the area of skin with the tattoo on invisable.

PId6
2009-07-26, 08:06 PM
Turn the area of skin with the tattoo on invisable.
Or, turn invisible.

Prowl
2009-07-26, 08:36 PM
Please make sure you locate your new tattoo in the proper 'tattoo zone' (http://www.cracked.com/funny-298-tattoos/)

Rebarth
2009-07-26, 08:55 PM
i'd have... xyxon, with sunglasses, playing on a double-neck guitar, on a surfboard, there is a pot leaf behind and behind that a cross cuz my mom died when i was young and on top there is text that reads happy birthday rick! cuz my friend is having a birthday and its gonna freak him out

Ancalagon
2009-07-27, 02:25 AM
i'd have... xyxon, with sunglasses, playing on a double-neck guitar, on a surfboard, there is a pot leaf behind and behind that a cross cuz my mom died when i was young and on top there is text that reads happy birthday rick! cuz my friend is having a birthday and its gonna freak him out

I hope you learn how to spell his name before you ask someone to tattoo "Xyxon the Sorcerer" on your left arm. ;)

zql
2009-07-27, 09:15 AM
7. Ask a Wizard

or you can use your old rod of cancelation

Liwen
2009-07-28, 12:09 AM
I hope you learn how to spell his name before you ask someone to tattoo "Xyxon the Sorcerer" on your left arm. ;)

Actually, since Xykon is bound to get his ass kick in an epic, awesome and humiliating way sooner of later as plot and karmic laws demand, you might want to consider holding off the villain tattoo until the comic ends. A lot of villains become disrespect during or after their ultimate defeat.

PId6
2009-07-28, 12:31 AM
Actually, since Xykon is bound to get his ass kick in an epic, awesome and humiliating way sooner of later as plot and karmic laws demand, you might want to consider holding off the villain tattoo until the comic ends. A lot of villains become disrespect during or after their ultimate defeat.
Death Note comes to mind here. I hate that ending so much.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-28, 12:39 AM
Remember when this thread was halfway on topic? That was kind of cool.

Speaking of which, I wonder how ballsy you'd need to be to get a generally-visible Belkar tattoo. It's like a big shiny "psychopath" warning button to anyone who recognises the character.

Itamarcu
2009-07-28, 12:55 AM
I want an Exposive Runes tattoo.

Manicotti
2009-07-30, 06:40 AM
i'd probably get Xykon's head, just there smirking and wearing his crown. on my shoulder, i'm sure.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-01, 11:38 PM
Mine would be an image of Thog and underneath it would say in old English text "Thog Life."

jogiff
2009-08-02, 01:16 AM
Getting a tattoo of a character from stick-figure D&D webcomic is an incredibly good idea for one reason: you'll get all the girls (or guys if that's your thing).

Herald Alberich
2009-08-02, 01:29 AM

By that logic, Haley's tat should have disappeared long before we got to see it.

Trebuchet
2009-08-02, 01:38 AM
... *waits for the next 10 posts to tell him it wouldn't be worth it*

Mr. Pin, it wouldn't be ____ing worth it. -Mr. Tulip

Quincunx
2009-08-02, 09:42 AM
Would the clean line art of OotS style age well in a tattoo, though? It might be a good choice for a design which won't degrade with time.

Expeditious
2009-08-14, 10:44 AM
In two weeks I will receive my first tattoo, Vaarsuvius (#436, panel six). Right wrist, in color, about 7x7 centimeters in size. I promise to post a snapshot when the image is complete. :vaarsuvius: :smallsmile:

FreddoGoatpants
2009-08-14, 05:03 PM
Definitely Banjo or Banjulhu...people get religious tattoos all the time!

I also like the idea of the MitD eyes.