PDA

View Full Version : Xykon's Contingency

Duaneyo1
2009-07-25, 01:35 PM
See spell description below:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm

So, X has a spell level 6 or lower prepared to go off if predetermined conditions are met. What do you think it will be? I can’t get my head around what spell he would use. He can’t use his greater teleport or ghost form because they are level 7 and 8. Overland flight would work but it’s 1/ hour per level. He can just cast it in the morning and be good to go. I don’t see resilient sphere, X has been badly damaged several times and it’s never popped off before. Any ideas?

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-07-25, 01:48 PM
Resilient Sphere is on that list, actually.

Edit: Oh wait, I misunderstood what you said. Nevermind.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-25, 02:05 PM
Xykon has a contingency?

I'd appreciate if you showed where you saw it. Here in the Internet, context can be much harder to transmit. And I am particularly lacking of either memory or common sense today.

Kish
2009-07-25, 02:07 PM
Xykon has a contingency?

I'd appreciate if you showed where you saw it.
On Xykon's spell list, #670.

The Blackbird
2009-07-25, 02:07 PM
Xykon has a contingency?

I'd appreciate if you showed where you saw it. Here in the Internet, context can be much harder to transmit. And I am particularly lacking of either memory or common sense today.

It's on the spell list O-Chul got. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html)

EDIT: Ah, Ninja'd

Snake-Aes
2009-07-25, 02:08 PM
I think I just failed a spot check.

Jaltum
2009-07-25, 02:11 PM
Might be a buff spell, or one of those unknowns. Or an unknown buff spell. That would cover any examples of Xykon maybe being tougher than we might expect in a given fight--he was invisibly mage armored or whatever by his contigency the moment V teleported in, or whatever.

Alternatively, the Giant is planning something. Is Contigency the only one on the list we haven't seen on panel in a strip or collection yet?

Llama231
2009-07-25, 02:15 PM
SoD
Could it be related to what he didit othe MitD, or was that just suggestion, etc?

David Argall
2009-07-25, 02:49 PM
So, X has a spell level 6 or lower prepared to go off if predetermined conditions are met. What do you think it will be? Any ideas?
There are too many possibilities to be worth considering. If it gets used [a distinct possibility, but our writer has left other spells unused in the past], it will be the spell that Xykon needs at that moment. So we won't learn what it is until Xykon gets into a tight spot.

waterpenguin43
2009-07-25, 02:52 PM
Maybe charming MitD to eat Redcloak and spit out the phylactery was by means of contingency.

Morquard
2009-07-25, 03:00 PM
Well considering O-chul pretty much only knows what he observed first hand about Xykon, or maybe got told by the MitD, it has to be something that he himself made trigger once. (Because I don't think the MitD would tell a story about Xykon in a way that would make it clear that he has Contingency)

So what could O-Chul have done/witnessed that is clearly a Contingency effect?

waterpenguin43
2009-07-25, 03:01 PM
Maybe MitD just told him that Xykon had put some weird enchantment and something to set it off later a bunch of times.

factotum
2009-07-25, 03:57 PM
Maybe MitD just told him that Xykon had put some weird enchantment and something to set it off later a bunch of times.

Or he might just have seen Xykon casting Contingency one morning...after all, his cage was in the same room as Xykon and the others spent most of their time!

Cerrakoth
2009-07-25, 04:43 PM
Or he might just have seen Xykon casting Contingency one morning...after all, his cage was in the same room as Xykon and the others spent most of their time!

Because that sounds like something the mitd would see.

'What gate?!?' being my point in case.

Moogleking
2009-07-25, 04:48 PM
Could it be those anti-arcane spell charms that stopped Uber-V from using Time Stop?

Ancalagon
2009-07-25, 04:52 PM
Could it be those anti-arcane spell charms that stopped Uber-V from using Time Stop?

Nope... those were traps Redcloak and Xykon set.

factotum
2009-07-26, 01:29 AM

No. Read the spell description of Contingency--it only allows you to cast a spell on your own person, whereas the traps you're mentioning actually had an effect on V.

Jagos
2009-07-26, 01:32 AM

Doubtful. If you cast Contingency on one thing, it loses the effect on something else. For whatever reason, MitD had the spell cast on him.

(Read SoD people!)