PDA

View Full Version : What to be???

Arkhemedes
2009-07-25, 05:45 PM
Im HORRIBLE :smalleek::smallyuk: at picking classes a couple friends of myn are gaming soon and we are making 15th level characters I was wondering if anyone could give me some sugjestions i personaly dont care either melee or range im not sure really Please and thank you im sorry if im not very specific but im just not sure wat to make :smallannoyed: Thank you if you do post some ideas i will try to be active and reply to the posts :smallbiggrin:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-25, 05:46 PM
All that you can be.

Now, what do you want to do as a fighter? As a wizard?

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-25, 05:51 PM
Shall we assume you're meaning D&D 3.5e?

Mando Knight
2009-07-25, 05:57 PM
Shall we assume you're meaning D&D 3.5e?

Nah. I'm going to suggest Jedi 7/Jedi Knight 7/Jedi Master 1. :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-25, 06:00 PM
Nah. I'm going to suggest Jedi 7/Jedi Knight 7/Jedi Master 1. :smalltongue:Hey, you never know. :smalltongue:

For instance, they could be playing 4e.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-25, 06:30 PM
I'm going to suggest a speedster. Take a lot of alternate powers, like one that gives you Autofire Blast (find a feasible flaw so you can have it at full rank).

Or you can be a paragon. Do buy Regeneration and a ranged attack in addition to the normal power suite if you can afford it.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-25, 06:32 PM
:smallfurious::smalleek::smallmad::smallamused: XD im so stuiped dnd 3.5 and i edited my post :smallannoyed: i am pretty stuiped :smallwink:
I would like to be a powerful caster with summing or just overpowerd or a awsome classic dwarf fighter with good abilities/ PrCs

lsfreak
2009-07-25, 06:41 PM
Overpowered? Be a wizard. Read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002).

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-25, 06:41 PM
*Manifests psionic suggestion*

Playing a Telepath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)/Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm) would be an excellent idea.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-25, 06:42 PM
Quick note: Try to be a little more clear with your posts if possible (if English isn't your first language, my apologies); I'm not sure if by "summing" you mean you want a caster good at summoning, a caster who is a math whiz, or a caster who is just good at something.

If you want to play a dwarf, you could... Well, I think fighter isn't actually a great class in 3.5 from what I've heard? Maybe if you took some levels in that and then picked up Dwarven Defender as a prestige class...

Can you tell us anything else about the campaign or what you want your character to be like? Will these be kick-in-the-door adventures or a more balanced campaign with some diplomacy, sneaking about, etc? What alignment are you expected to be (should you be leaning towards good, or would a blackguard fit in just fine)? Hopefully I (and others!) can help a bit more with that info. :smallsmile:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-25, 06:42 PM
Dwarf fighter? Check out Fistbeard Beardfist in my sig.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-25, 07:56 PM
It will be in a in a tundra type of enviroment srry i would like to be some type of meele character and him to be a fun character that is a fun experience playing im srry i was not being clear :smalleek: maybe a dwarf cause dwarves taking down big orges and such is just fun :smallbiggrin:
I am also granted 1 legacy weapon and all other equipment will be settled when we meet

erikun
2009-07-25, 09:40 PM
Well, Fighters et al. aren't all that bad, but are quickly overshadowed by anything with full spellcasting. You could spend 10-20 rounds whacking a dragon only for it to fly off when nearly dead, while a mage can repeated cast Finger of Death until it fails a saving throw and dies. (or, heck, Power Word: Kill after you've smacked it around :smallamused:) A properly equipped Fighter would want some way to hit a flying opponent, some was to hit an incorporeal opponent, and some way to cut through magical defenses.

Fighter/Dwarven Defender is nice, although you won't find many times when standing still is a good idea. Still, it's something nice for the wizard to hide behind, assuming he's not just invisible and flying around.

Fighter/Kensai comes to mind whenever personally-enchanted weapons comes to mind, but I'm not sure how one would interact with a Weapon of Legacy.

I'm always a fan of Psionics, specifically the Psychic Warrior, thanks to stuff like Psionic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicWeapon) and Deep Impact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#deepImpact). They have a number of nice powers, too. Psychic Warrior/Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) would be the best way to go in that case.

If you want a full caster, Cleric or Druid are the best ways to go for a beginning player. You'll have plenty of magic to heal yourself (especially for a Cleric) and can buff as needed, or turn into something dangerous as a Druid. Best of all, if you pick some really bad spells one day, you can always give them up for healing/summoning, then choose something completely different tomorrow!

Good luck, in any direction you take.

valadil
2009-07-25, 10:25 PM
If you're indecisive you could wait to see what your friends pick and then fill in the role that's missing. Let them make your choices for you! Everybody profit!

Civil War Man
2009-07-25, 10:33 PM
My personal suggestion: play a class you have never played before.

I once helped out a friend who was running a D&D game for newbies. I joined to be a bit of a guide, being an experienced player. Since the point was largely for me to be a helpful experienced PC, I decided that I should make a full support character so I wouldn't overshadow the other PCs. I never played a Bard before then, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It was massive amounts of fun. Particularly between fights when I would do things like tell exaggerated tales about the valor of the party Rogue in the taverns. A bard with 18 charisma and full ranks in Perform (motivational speaking) is an excellent wingman.

oxinabox
2009-07-25, 10:50 PM
try a warblade.
or a swordsage.
Now that is a interesting fighter.
Hell of a thing to build at higher lvls though.

or Archivist 4/Warblade1/archivist 4/warblade 1/archivist 5.
Weild a ranasuar (reach weapon)
Take dimond mind concentration based manovers mostly.
pump you concentration.
Wear medium armour.
And alway stand being someone.

Your both a incredably flexable mage (who is two lvls behind on casting...) and a flexible (if rather inaccurate) fighter.
It'ld be a very interstibng character.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 08:49 AM
If anyone had any other pure psionic builds that is fun i always liked toying with peoples minds and i agree a spellcaster at higherlevel easliy overshadows a fighter but could anyone think of a build were the fighter is not to overshadow ?

mikej
2009-07-26, 08:59 AM
tundra environment?

I'd suggest Druid or maybe Ranger. Both I find could ( especially the Druid ) excel in that setting and fit the setting roleplay wise.

Or as valadil mentioned, work with the other players, fill in the important missing role.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-26, 09:00 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Summoner_%283.5e_Class%29 could be useful if you're allowed to use homebrew stuff (I'm basing this recommendation on the comment you made about summoning).

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 09:20 AM
Alright i love the idea of a summonor sadly we already have a sorceror i must be the healer i would like to make a cleric that can do damage heal and not get overshaowed by our sorceror Ty and happy buiilding

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-26, 09:22 AM
I guess you could use the Summoner's Advanced Learning to get some healing spells due to the starting level while relying on UMD for healing other things (if someone in the party has that skill as a class skill).

Kroy
2009-07-26, 09:25 AM
Alright I love the idea of a summoner sadly we already have a sorcerer. I must be the healer. I would like to make a cleric that can do damage heal and not get overshadowed by our sorcerer. Thank you and happy building.

You don't have to be a healer. It is shown that healing during combat is less efficient than doing damage. The best healing comes from a wand of lesser vigor/ cure light wounds in between encounters and a good offense. Maybe a Codzila build?

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 10:06 AM
Codzilla is a cleric /druid right ? if it is and im making a 15th level character should i go 8 cleric / 7 druid or should i take some other stuff like say a cleric with some prestige classses sorry no Ur-priest tho because i need to be non evil my Dm is strictly good and if your evil he picks you off at the start of the game :smallannoyed: so i will look at a druid cleric idk maybed just striaght cleeric any more suggjestions?

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-26, 10:08 AM
That term applies to straight classes Divine casters. The Clericzilla gets hold of either Glowsticks (each one costs 1000 GPs while granting 4 Turning attempts), Extend Spell, Persist Spell and Divine Metamagic to Persist Divine Power for 24 hours at the cost of 7 Turn attempts while a Druidzilla just takes Natural Spell along with the most powerful Companion and Wildshape forms.

Eldariel
2009-07-26, 10:12 AM
Eh, whatever you wanna do, you can be a Druid. Druids are awesome summoners, awesome casters, awesome melee fighters, awesome support characters, decent controllers and decent skill monkeys, overall being great at whatever you want and good at many other things too.

The best part is that they're best without any prestige classes; a Druid can shine with no multiclassing whatsoever and with any race and any stats as long as your Wisdom and Constitution are decent (Wildshape renders the physicals trivial).

So yeah, Druid 15 with feats:
- Spell Focus: Conjuration (prerequisite) > Augment Summoning [Core]
- Rashemi Elemental Summoning [Oriental Adventures] (if available, otherwise Greenbound Summoning [Lost Empires of Faerun] or if neither is around, skip this)
- Ashbound [Eberron Campaign Settings] (if available)
- Natural Spell (and spend your time outside social settings in an animal form to stay safe and combat ready - also use your long duration buffs like Greater Magic Fang, Barkskin and such all the time with help of Extend Spell [Core] and Chain Spell [Complete Arcane] - preferably through Rod of Chain Spell)
- Extend Spell + Quicken Spell

Then you're a competent summoner (and can summon Unicorns as per Summon Nature's Ally IV [highers for more] to heal), you can use Wand of Lesser Vigor to heal out of combat and you have Heal (the spell; only healing spell potentially worth casting while fighting) for in-combat healing along with Restoration and all that.

Pimp out your animal companion (pick Dire Tiger on next level, see if you could use Natural Bond [Complete Adventurer] to mitigate the adjustment, purchase it a Psychic Reformation to switch its feats out to more useful stuff, equip it with stat boosters, best Armor Bardings you can get and so on, keep buff spells on it too) and stay Wildshaped for combat and you'll be pretty good at...well, anything you want.

Jalor
2009-07-26, 10:30 AM
If you really want to get cheesy, be an Anthropomorphic Bat from Savage Species. Physical ability scores are irrelevant for you, and it gives a +6 to WIS. Take a Fleshraker Dinosaur from MM3 as your animal companion, and Awaken it. Give it Vow of Poverty and that one feat that forces Concentration checks from adjacent spellcasters. Make sure to buy many Wilding Clasps. With Wilding Clasps, your magic items will still affect you, and you can walk around in bear from all day while summoning more critters.

You will vastly outshine the entire party.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 01:41 PM
i love all of ur ides and fitenth level druid is calling me... or i might get cheesy :smalltongue: i love them all thank you for your efforts and kindness u guys are da bomb :smallcool: :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Thrawn183
2009-07-26, 04:49 PM
A Chameleon! 15th level is just when the prestige class ends, so you'll be be able to do anything... pretty well and for a while.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 08:29 PM
Alright i will be a 14 th level cleric level 1 human paragon
Any feat suggjestions / spell suggjestions would be apreciated/ domain suggjestions

Jalor
2009-07-26, 08:35 PM
Dip Church Inquisitor and Contemplative for the free domains. Take a level of a Tome of Battle class, then get Ruby Knight Vindicator. Take 7 levels of it, and get Travel Devotion. DMM-Persist a Divine Power, and destroy everything you fight.

Arkhemedes
2009-07-26, 08:49 PM
So it would look like Church inquiseter1/contemplative1/rubyknightvindicator7/(somthing in the tome of battle i do not own it any suggjestions?)
Feats travel devotion extendspell peresist spell diving meta magic persist divine. right or am i missing somthing?

erikun
2009-07-26, 10:14 PM
Alright i love the idea of a summonor sadly we already have a sorceror i must be the healer i would like to make a cleric that can do damage heal and not get overshaowed by our sorceror Ty and happy buiilding
Cleric builds are frequently the bashy-bashy type; you get the most milage out of using your spells to buff yourself/teammates, then knocking in some heads. While you can have some blasting magic, it's usually not as impressive as a wizard or sorcerer.

Here's a short list of buff spells the cleric gets:

Bless (+1 to hit, all allies)
Divine Favor (self, +1 to hit/damage per three levels)
Doom (-2 to hit for one enemy)
Entropic Shield (self, 20% miss chance)
Magic Weapon (+1 to hit/damage)
Protection from Evil (+2 AC, +2 all saves vs. evil opponents)
Shield of Faith (+2 AC)

Oh, and that's just first level. :smalltongue: As a cleric, you can give up any spell for a healing if you need it - nice utility. The "CoDZilla" refers to a Cleric (or Druid) buffing themselves into something nigh-unkillable.

A Druid is similar, but you can't give up spells for healing. You can, though, give up spells for Summon Monster if you like summoning. Plus, you can buff your summons.

If anyone had any other pure psionic builds that is fun i always liked toying with peoples minds and i agree a spellcaster at higherlevel easliy overshadows a fighter but could anyone think of a build were the fighter is not to overshadow ?
You'd probably like the Psion (Telepath)/Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm). The Psion (Telepath) specializes in charming and confounding enemies, while at higher levels dominates enemies - literally. The Thrallherd just helps with the domination part. :smallsmile: Mind you, a Psion is going to play very similar to a Sorcerer at low levels, including the low HP and low AC, so you may not want both in the same party.