PDA

View Full Version : Shadows In Flight: A new Ender/Bean novel[Spoiler]

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-30, 02:30 PM
Ha! HA! I've been saying it for years and here it comes. Orson Scott Card is working on his newest in the series which recombines the Ender and Bean series together.

Apparently its to take place right after Children of the Mind.

I knew the two were destined to meet. He just kind of chops off the Ender's series with alllll sorts of lose ends and then comes along the Bean series. As soon as I saw that I knew they were to coincide. So finally he can connect them and I'm dying to see whats up.

Do you actually meet Bean, an enormous giant on his last legs, or is it all thats left a few of his genius kids? I hope the former as I betcha the Descolada could fix his condition. So many possibilities.

I've waited over a decade, so it better be good!

Mistborn
2006-09-30, 07:43 PM
Ha! HA! I've been saying it for years and here it comes. Alan Dean Foster is working on his newest in the series which recombines the Ender and Bean series together.

Apparently its to take place right after Children of the Mind.

I knew the two were destined to meet. He just kind of chops off the Ender's series with alllll sorts of lose ends and then comes along the Bean series. As soon as I saw that I knew they were to coincide. So finally he can connect them and I'm dying to see whats up.

Do you actually meet Bean, an enormous giant on his last legs, or is it all thats left a few of his genius kids? I hope the former as I betcha the Descolada could fix his condition. So many possibilities.

I've waited over a decade, so it better be good!

Do you, by chance, mean Orson Scott Card?

I'm looking forward to this one. I liked the Bean books, but it will be nice to get back to something with more of an sf flare. (Speaker is still my favorite, though Ender's Shadow is a close second.)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-30, 07:50 PM
Do you, by chance, mean Orson Scott Card?
Thats embarassing...

Put down the author of a book I was reading before I typed that ::)

Mistborn
2006-10-01, 11:33 AM
Ah, those authors with two first names! Easy mistake to make.

What was your opinion on the Bean books? (The ones after Ender's Shadow, I mean.)

The Demented One
2006-10-01, 12:30 PM
Is there anything important that happens after the first two Bean books? I kinda tired of them, but if this one finishes of the descolada storyline, I'm going to have to get it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-01, 01:13 PM
Is there anything important that happens after the first two Bean books? I kinda tired of them, but if this one finishes of the descolada storyline, I'm going to have to get it.
Basically most of the battle school children end up taking over their respective countries. However, they threaten to destroy themselves competing so they are finally talked into each joining a colony ship that'll take them to their own respective worlds with its own culture.

Bean gets married and has little sprouts, some of which has his condition, others are normal (or as normal as the children of two super geniuses can be). He's only got a few more months to live (now being around 7-8 feet tall), so he and his affected lil'uns go into a ship and ramp it up to relativistic speeds so that they can survive until a cure is found... and the last book ended with him having been out 50 years or so and Ender talking to Peter to write his Hegemon autobiography.

Achiles is also taken out by Bean, etc.

Err, though that reminds me... what about the missing kid? It was stolen away to a new planet. Wonder how that gets tied in...

Mistborn
2006-10-01, 04:24 PM
Perhaps we should put a spoiler tag in the thread title after that last post. . . .

Dr._Weird
2006-10-01, 07:17 PM
The book is going to be called Shadows in Flight, BTW.

I'm looking forward to this, as Orson Scott Card has proved time and time again to be an excellent author (Ender series, Bean series, Magic Street), and The Ender/Bean series has held a special place in my heart for a long time.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-01, 07:45 PM
Perhaps we should put a spoiler tag in the thread title after that last post. . . .
Comrade Gorby: That'd be a yes. Please remember to either tag the thread or use one of the methods to hide spoiler text.

Vaynor
2006-10-02, 05:58 PM
I can't wait!!!!

I've been hoping he'd put out a new book for a long time. ;D

Mistborn
2006-10-03, 09:32 AM
Did anyone read MAGIC STREET?

I'm sad to say that I never found the time. I still mean to get to it eventually.

Dr._Weird
2006-10-03, 10:20 PM
I did. It's very good. Have you read A Midsummer Night's Dream ?

(No, it's not completely irrelevant)

Mistborn
2006-10-04, 02:31 AM
Managed to find my way through an MA in English.

Needless to say, I enjoyed/suffered through more than one Shakespeare class. So, yes, I've read it a couple of times. :)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-01, 09:10 PM
I agree with another theory put out on another thread that the kid of Bean's that got away onto the colony ship is likely the one who seeded the geniuses on that oriental-cultured planet with the obsessive disorders.

Anonymous Mind
2007-05-31, 04:40 PM
Do any of you by any chance have any idea when "Shadows in Flight" and "Ender in Exile:Ganges" will come out?

Dr._Weird
2007-06-03, 11:39 AM
TURN UNTHREAD! BACK, FOUL BEAST!

EDIT: Huh, apparently you can't post in all caps.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 12:36 PM
Do any of you by any chance have any idea when "Shadows in Flight" and "Ender in Exile:Ganges" will come out?
Just did some looking about and apparently it's still not been announced yet.

TURN UNTHREAD! BACK, FOUL BEAST!
Naw, the thread is still legit. Leave the poor thing alone.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-03, 01:06 PM
:smallconfused: ?

It's ancient. I think it qualifies as threadromancy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 01:13 PM
:smallconfused: ?

It's ancient. I think it qualifies as threadromancy.
8 months ain't exactly ancient :smallwink:

But considering the book hasn't come out yet I don't see why we can't use this one for continued discussion.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-03, 01:26 PM
Well, alright then.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ender die in Children of the Mind? I don't remember all that clearly, I haven't read it in far too long. I seem to remember him dying peacefully of old age.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 01:37 PM
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Ender die in Children of the Mind? I don't remember all that clearly, I haven't read it in far too long. I seem to remember him dying peacefully of old age.
*guffaws*

Well, it depends on your definition of 'peaceful' I guess.

He crumbled away into dirt as his soul took over the psuedo-Peter and he let Jane into the pseudo-Valentine.

TheresaW
2008-09-10, 07:35 PM
Ender in Exile release: Nov. 11th [according to amazon.com]
but on Hatrack Nov. 1

Doesn't matter I'm pre-ordering!
Shadows in Flight to come out after Elixe... 2009 I'd say.

Rogue 7
2008-09-10, 08:08 PM
Y'know, I never really personally cared about Bean...he was a good guy, but I was far more interested in the political machinations and the general war than Bean's love life. I did think that Peter 2.0 and Wang-Mu were quite cute, so I'm hoping to see more of them. I just hope that Card's recent trend towards the part of the political spectrum I disagree with doesn't make an appearance.

Sam
2008-09-12, 10:01 PM
His political leanings won't leak through. If I remember correctly, parts were designed so that it wouldn't come up- for starters every culture gets a planet. It avoids politics, while hitting unfortunate implications territory.

Roland St. Jude
2008-09-13, 05:08 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Wowee, this thread was well over a year old. Please start a new one, if you wish.