PDA

View Full Version : The boots of speed!

Liwen
2009-07-26, 06:34 AM
That dark skinned elf with the two swords has the Boots of Speed. Look at this horrible Lime green color!

The question now is how did he got his hands of them? Last we know Haley had them, but maybe she sold them for the coins needed for her father's ransom?

Roc Ness
2009-07-26, 06:42 AM
Nah, in that strip with the Haley/Crystal flashback it shows the shoes (and Crystal's haircut). They were lighter in colour

Liwen
2009-07-26, 06:44 AM
But this scene was drawn in the shade of the 'night' of Azure City. Plus have you seen how fast he moves in that surprise round? That's Boot of Speed power, I tell ya!

Optimystik
2009-07-26, 10:24 AM
They may cost 12000 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) but there are more than one pair in the world you know... it's not like they're artifacts!

Acero
2009-07-26, 11:27 AM
They may cost 12000 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) but there are more than one pair in the world you know... it's not like they're artifacts!

exactly. there are at LEAsT five.

P.S. whatever happened to dyes?

MickJay
2009-07-26, 12:32 PM
If you dye them, they lose their magical properties, it's a well-known fact. Really.

Moriato
2009-07-26, 12:47 PM
But this scene was drawn in the shade of the 'night' of Azure City. Plus have you seen how fast he moves in that surprise round? That's Boot of Speed power, I tell ya!

Acutally I think it was a tumble, judging by the little loop in his... "movement line".

Borris
2009-07-26, 04:40 PM
It certainly is a tumble, but tumbling is done at half speed in D&D, unless you're willing to take a -10 penalty for accelerated tumbling, and moving through an enemy's space is a DC 25 check already.

Now if we assume each character in strip 670 to be lined up in a 5-foot row, based on the inetic lines, that dark-skinned elf is moving at least 30 feet, at least two squares of each are through enemy space. Of course, it's a little thin to prove those are Boots of Speed. The character might have multiclassed as barbarian, or scout. Or he may be under the effect of a haste spell, or he may have an ungodly Tumble modifier and be succeeding on that DC 35 check. Only the Giant really knows.

Mando Knight
2009-07-26, 04:42 PM
That dark skinned elf with the two swords has the Boots of Speed. Look at this horrible Lime green color!

...That doesn't look like lime green to me.

Liwen
2009-07-26, 05:31 PM
It certainly is a tumble, but tumbling is done at half speed in D&D, unless you're willing to take a -10 penalty for accelerated tumbling, and moving through an enemy's space is a DC 25 check already.

Now if we assume each character in strip 670 to be lined up in a 5-foot row, based on the inetic lines, that dark-skinned elf is moving at least 30 feet, at least two squares of each are through enemy space. Of course, it's a little thin to prove those are Boots of Speed. The character might have multiclassed as barbarian, or scout. Or he may be under the effect of a haste spell, or he may have an ungodly Tumble modifier and be succeeding on that DC 35 check. Only the Giant really knows.

Well that's certainly a more elaborated argument than mine. Kudos for that. I still believe those are boots of speed however, because it's funnier that way.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-26, 09:45 PM
I think that they could be boots of speed because he made two attacks, which you aren't allowed to do except as a full attack, normally. Perhaps the giant bent the rules to allow the elf in question to gain an extra attack under all circumstances with haste, as opposed to the bonus attack one normally only gets as part of a full attack.

Herald Alberich
2009-07-26, 11:22 PM

Not arguing against the BoS idea (it'd be funny if it was true), but I'd point out that the darkness doesn't affect the hobbos' bright orange skin. No telling whether the elves would look lighter in daylight, but I think that cleric's hair would be blindingly hot pink if that were the case.

Besides, lighting conditions have only ever affected coloring in the case of the Azure City rift.

pflare
2009-07-27, 08:39 AM

Nah, the boots go with his skin tone, unlike Haley's.

Jaltum
2009-07-27, 09:21 AM
I think that they could be boots of speed because he made two attacks, which you aren't allowed to do except as a full attack, normally. Perhaps the giant bent the rules to allow the elf in question to gain an extra attack under all circumstances with haste, as opposed to the bonus attack one normally only gets as part of a full attack.

Couldn't he do that if he's a Scout? I don't know all the rules for Skirmish damage, but doesn't it involve quick movement and attacking multiple targets?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not making an argument, I'm just hoping someone who knows the rules can finally clarify this. Scout was my first guess, from the moment I saw that panel, and I brought it up in the main thread, but different people keep disagreeing on whether or not it works/is necessary.

Random832
2009-07-27, 09:47 AM
One problem with Scout is that the comic rarely uses non-SRD material, and almost always lampshades it when it does.

Jaltum
2009-07-27, 10:06 AM
...that doesn't have anything to do with what happened in the comic or the mechanical capabilities of the Scout class, though.

Now, if what happens could be done equally well by a ranger or a fighter or whatever, then it's more likely that than a Scout, for the reason you've given. But people keep contradicting each other on whether or not that's possible. If Bibliomancer is right and it would take a magic item and a houserule for a ranger to do that, and a Scout can do it out of the box, then I'd say Scout is more likely, regardless of whether it's SRD or not.

Roderick_BR
2009-07-27, 11:09 AM
If you dye them, they lose their magical properties, it's a well-known fact. Really.
In NWN1 you can dye any piece of equipment with any color you can buy, making you look like a daltonic designer's worst nightmare.

ericgrau
2009-07-27, 11:55 AM

Actually haste doesn't grant an extra attack on a standard action.

Liwen
2009-07-27, 11:36 PM
Actually haste doesn't grant an extra attack on a standard action.

Yeah, ever since it got nerfed. Zz'dtri was right about that at least.

I've once negotiated to have the 3.0 edition haste spell in my repertoire. 2 spells per round for the win!