PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Exhibition Match: Saph vs JeminiZero

Saph
2009-07-26, 08:26 AM
Map is the forest one, if you're okay with that. I haven't got a link handy, so do you want to post it?

All-day buffs, no buff rounds.

Pick a starting square and let's roll for initiative!

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 08:30 AM
I pick the red zone on the right to start, so you can pick any square in blue zone on the left. Map:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena2i.gif

Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: In all due likelihood, you will win initiative, in which case feel free to go first.

Saph
2009-07-26, 08:33 AM
Well, my lowest possible initiative result beats that, so I don't think there's much point me rolling.

I'll start in B11, ten feet up.

Saph
2009-07-26, 08:35 AM
And we're off.

[roll0]

First thing I'm going to do is fly forward to visual and Mindsight range. Tell me what I see, and please tell me your Int score and creature type and subtype.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 08:38 AM
For Saph

The mind you sense is broken in many ways, suggesting repeated brainwashing. Still there is no doubt it is rather intelligent. 18 Int, Living Construct Type. Hasn't moved yet, so stil in the Red Zone, say maybe Y11.

Edit: by the way, note the height of the trees and poles. You will not have line of sight or effect without getting around those, although that apparently doesn't stop mindsight.

I request that anyone planning to fight Alita next, not look in my Observer Only spoilers.

Observers Only: All day buffs

Previously Cast Spells
-Contingency: Heal (when She is knocked unconscious, or says "Musn't Give Up")
-Spellstaff: Antimagic Field (stored in Quarterstaff)
-Renewal Pact: Cast Panacea when certain conditions are met

All Day Buffs
-Extended Greater Resistance (lasts 48 hrs, yesterdays casting)
-Extended Greater Resistance (lasts 48 hrs, todays casting)
-Persistent Divine Favor (+3)
-Greater Magic Weapon (+5) on Quarterstaff
-Greater Magic Fang (+5) on Head Butt (refluffed Bite)
-Greater Magic Fang (+5) on Elbow Blade (refluffed Gore)
-Superior Resistance
-Non Detection
-Magic Aura (Boosted to +27 with Ankh of Ascension)*
-DMM Ocular Persisted Delay Death
-Divine Insight (Untriggered)
-Adept Spirit (Untriggered)
-Conviction (+4 to saves)

Disguise Check Calculations
Alita is disguised as a Human.
+1 Base Rank
+1 Cha Bonus
+2 Masterwork Kit
-2 Disguise as Different Race
+1 Competence Bonus (Guidance)
+15 Insight Bonus (Divine Insight)
Disguise Check: [roll0]

Notes:
*Ley Lines: I assume Alita channels Geomancer Ley Lines while buffing in either forests or the Mountains.
*With the Ruby Skull of Wee Jas, all necromancy and Death Domain spells gain another +1 to caster level.
*Magic Aura lasts Days/Level. 1 casting can last 27 days. So 1 casting per day can cover 27 items sustainably. More than enough to cover all her magic items.

Saph
2009-07-26, 08:49 AM
Elanora

Soaring through the air ahead of you, you see a young woman emerge from around the trees. She has green eyes and shining gold hair that blows loose around her shoulders, and is quite beautiful, in an otherworldly sort way. She wears a blue robe, overlaid with glowing armour of light, and carries a short staff. As she comes into view she nods. "Ah. So that's how you did it."

And what do I see in return?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 08:52 AM
Alita

You see a petite but well-built human girl, with short black hair, in body hugging leather armour. Sprouting from her back are a pair of bizarre metal feather wings. Sort of like this:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/JeminiZero/Alita.jpg

She also holds a gnarled, crudely crafted wooden staff in her hands.

And yes, I copied and pasted that from the previous fight. :smalltongue: Make a spot check vs DC 24.

Saph
2009-07-26, 08:54 AM
Spot: [roll0]

You can make a Spot check too, if you like.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 08:56 AM
Despite her immediate appearance, there are minor tell tale signs that she is not the human she appears to be. Most notably the fact that she isn't breathing.

OOC: Everytime I roll for Disguise, I never get anything higher than 6. Seriously, in all 3 matches. Its like the dice are conspiring against me.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:00 AM
You see nothing, unsurprisingly.

"Alita, isn't it?" the woman says. "I'm sorry, but I need to bring you in."

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:05 AM
Alita

"Alita? Sounds familiar. Is that my name?" Alita says in a cold emotionless manner.

"I don't know who I am, or what I am doing here." She says as she clutches her head. "But somehow, I know I have to kill you." She looks up at you with a glint of fury in her eyes.

OOC: If you want to roll sense motive, you sense that everything she says is true.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:09 AM
Elanora sighs. "I didn't really expect anything else."

Elanora flies forward, dipping slightly. When she reaches Q10 she casts a Split Ray of Stupidity at you. Two attacks vs flat-footed touch AC.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Intelligence
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Intelligence

Elanora will watch to see what effect that had. Tell me your new Int score(Mindsight, as before), and I'll continue my turn.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:12 AM
Well her int is now 10. And seriously, damaging the int of an already amnesiac girl has very little effect. She grunts in anger. What did you expect to see? There won't be any obvious effect till it hits zero and she drops comatose.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:18 AM
Mostly I wanted to see whether that would stop her casting spells or not. 18 Int suggests either a skillmonkey or a gish.

Your turn.

Observers Only
The Ray of Stupidity was Quickened, so Elanora readies an action to screw up any spellcasting Alita might do in case that Int damage doesn't stop her, using a spell of her own.
Reepicheep readies an action to use Scorching Ray as soon as Elanora shouts "Now!"

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:21 AM
Mostly I wanted to see whether that would stop her casting spells or not. 18 Int suggests either a skillmonkey or a gish.

I would like to point out that you cannot possibly know whether she can cast spells until it is her turn (or you use arcane sight to determine if there are any buffs). Seriously, you just hit someone with anything that doesn't drop them. All they are gonna do is look at you angrily, until it is their turn. :smalltongue:

Edit: I suppose I should give you a chance to confirm you are going ahead with ending your turn.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:25 AM
Yes, I know. And it's her turn now.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:25 AM
So... where is Elanora. I mean, I can't attack her unless you announce her position.

Edit: And height.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:26 AM
Like I said, Q10. 5 feet up.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:30 AM
Alita

With an angry shout, Alita flaps her wings, charges forward and tries to impale Elanora on her elbow blades.

Full Round action: Charge to R10

Elbow Blades as Primary Weapons
Attack Roll: [roll0] (including charge bonus)
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Improved Trip if it hits: [roll2]

End Turn.

Edit: I tell you dice are conspiring against me.

Observers Only

HP: 88/88
AC 13
Int: 10/18

Buff Duration Counter

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:35 AM
Elanora speaks a word and makes a quick gesture as Alita charges, and seems to fragment, copies of her slipping in and out of each other, clustered closely together. There are now [roll0] potential targets to attack. Take your pick.

Spellcraft DC 19:
Greater Mirror Image, like you didn't know already.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:37 AM
Did you cast defensively, or does Alita get an attack of opportunity?

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:39 AM
Immediate action, so no. Also, I did it as Alita began her charge. If she threatens the area around her for 50 feet, could you please tell me? That's information I would have quite liked to know. :P

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:42 AM
I am curious as to how you are taking immediate actions like that. I thought Celerity was banned. Also, isnt; there a cap of 8 images?

[roll0]

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:44 AM
Eight images max, plus the original. I was just doing it in one post to speed things up for you.

Assuming 1 was meant as a hit, you hit an image. One of the Elanoras shatters into vanishing fragments. My turn?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:47 AM
I suppose.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:53 AM
Start of my turn, Spot check for you, DC 10:

Half-hidden in the crowd, another image pops into existence to replace the destroyed one.
Elanora defensively casts a spell. Spellcraft DC 20. Do I need to keep spoilering these, or do you automatically succeed on them?

Arcane Fusion.
Her skin frosts over with gold dragonscales. Move action still remaining, tell me if I need to know anything.

Observers Only
Spells in the Arcane Fusion are Shield and Dragonskin (fire). Reepicheep is still readying.

Evidence inconclusive. I might have knocked out her casting abilities with that, or she might just be trying to lull me off guard. We'll have to see.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:07 AM
Her Spellcraft despite Int Damage is still 22, so I don't think so.

On her turn, Alita Full Attacks:

1st Staff Attack
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Mirror Image: [roll2]

2nd Staff Attack
Attack Roll: [roll3]
Damage Roll: [roll4]
Mirror Image: [roll5]

Elbow Blades
Attack Roll: [roll6]
Damage Roll: [roll7]
Improved Trip if it hits: [roll8]
Mirror Image: [roll9]

Head Butt
Attack Roll: [roll10]
Damage Roll: [roll11]
Improved Trip if it hits: [roll12]
Mirror Image: [roll13]

Your Turn

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:14 AM
Wait up! I SAID that my move action was still to come. Did you really think I was just going to stand there in front of you?

Elanora flies around the back of Alita. I'll assume that first rolled attack was your AoO, in which case it splinters an image. My new location's V10, 10 feet up. Now it's your turn. Eight Elanoras left.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:17 AM
I suppose Alita will have to charge then:
Attack Roll: [roll0] (including Charge Bonus)

Your Turn:

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:24 AM
Elanora

One image goes down and reappears almost immediately. Eight targets left.

"Did that ray slow you down, then?" Elanora asks. "Not that these attacks of yours are exactly weak, but still. Are you holding back on me?"

Withdraw, land on the pillar at S8.

Observers Only
Reep's action as before. I'll just assume this from now on, until further notice.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:25 AM
For Saph, since she is apparently a DM

Sorry to interrupt this match. But I need a ruling for the other thread to continue. I'm not sure if Alita as a living construct can be affected by Burning blood. The spell specifically says that constructs are not affected by it. And living constructs count as both living AND constructs for the purpose of adjucating all effects. So if you count her as living she is affected, and if you count her as a construct she is not.

Interestingly, oozes and elementals (both living) which do not have blood also are unaffected. So as long as living constructs don't have blood, neither should they.

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:28 AM
Difficult one. Let me look up Warforged in the ECS again.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:29 AM
Alita

Alita is beyond reason, rather than replying in any way, she simply continues to attack.

Full Round Action: Charge
Attack Roll: [roll0] (including Charge Bonus)

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:34 AM
Assuming Alita's a warforged, as that's the only living construct type I know of:

RAW, warforged don't have the construct blanket immunity to necromancy spells, so I guess it would probably affect her, depending on which clause takes priority.

RAI, she doesn't have blood or a circulatory system, so it definitely wouldn't work.

I favour RAI over RAW, so I'd say that she's immune to it. Other DMs might rule differently.

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:36 AM
Elanora

"Why are you attacking me, by the way? Do you even know?"

Withdraw again to not very far away. Lose an image, gain an image. Your turn.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:57 AM
Alita

Alita continues her attack relentlessly. The only response you get from her, are a bitter snarl and burning furious eyes.

OOC: You appear before her, tell her you have to take her in, and then you shoot not one but two rays at her that cause brain damage, and you wonder why she wants to kill you? :smalltongue:

Elbow Blades
Mirror Image: [roll3]

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:02 AM
You appear before her, tell her you have to take her in, and then you shoot not one but two rays at her that cause brain damage, and you wonder why she wants to kill you? :smalltongue:

Is that the actual reason?

Anyway, lose an image, gain an image.

Elanora

"Is it because I attacked you first? Or because the voices in your head tell you to?"

Withdraw again, but this time, gain 60 feet of altitude in the process.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:12 AM
Is that the actual reason?

OOC: I'm just pointing out that its rather odd to shoot someone's head twice, and then question why they want to attack you. :smalltongue: If you want an RP reason, some Wizard took her brain, put it into this present body, and then set her loose in the Test of Spite dungeons to try and scout them out. Unfortunately, the Test of Spite Outer dungeons (which we are presumably in right now) contain a subversive effect, causing 2 people who just met each other to try and fight to the death.

Elbow Blades

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:16 AM
OOC: Oh, come on. Play along and answer IC. I know perfectly well why she's attacking me, I just want to know whether SHE does.

Elanora

"You seem to have gone quiet. Maybe I should try a different topic . . . Oh, I know. Did you know that I can see your mind? Would you like to know what it looks like?"

Same as last round, withdraw up and round, gain another 60 feet of altitude.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:41 AM
OOC: Ah, right then. Despite significant brain damage, external forces somehow cause Alita to give a response.

Alita

"I don't even remember my name!" Alita shouts as she beats her metal wings to keep up. "I certainly don't know why I have to kill you." In her eyes a spark of insanity appears amidst the incredible rage.

"But since I have to, I am going to enjoy it while I can." And in the face of insurmountable odds, the Battle Angel gives a desolate smile. You sense her mind cloud over in a instinctual battle frenzy, as something buried far deeper than her missing memories starts to kick in.

Elbow Blades

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:43 AM

Elbow Blades

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:58 AM
Elanora

Elanora ducks as another image splinters, then rights herself. "You don't know, but I do." She calmly aims her staff at Alita and two rays fly out from it.

Defensively cast Split Ray of Clumsiness. Both attacks give a penalty to Dexterity, overlapping. Can't reduce Dex below 1.

Attack 1: [roll0] touch.
Dex penalty: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2] touch.
Dex penalty: [roll3]

"You feel that you have to kill me because you've been altered to be that way. I can see your mind, and do you know what it looks like? Like a living creature that's been torn apart and stitched back together. It's horrible. Somebody maimed you, and the worst part? I think whoever did this to you enjoyed it."

Elanora moves up, gaining another 40 or so feet of height, though not taking her out of charge range. You get an AoO this time. Your turn.

Observers Only
Reepicheep rummages around in my haversack and pulls out a bag. He pushes it up so that Elanora can reach it easily, then hops back into his pocket.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:34 PM
Are we still on?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:39 PM
OOC: I must apologize. I suddenly realize that I have been underplaying Alita. I *clean* forgot about her inventory and the bank of wands she keeps for such occasions. Also, if you really want to know the RP reason behind Alita's present state, drop dead, and the Wizard who made her will call for you via Speak with Dead for a chat. :smalltongue:

Also, Alita just got a run time Ban, so if you want to stop now, I can understand.

Alita

"No!" Alita replies as she darts after you. "I'm feel I have to kill you because the first thing you did was give me a terrible headache!"

"Besides, not all the voices in my head are telling me to kill you. The one added by the man who constructed this body is telling me to..." She pauses and clutches her head, as if trying to filter out a small quiet voice of reason amidst the screams of murder and violence.

She reaches into her bag, pulls out a wands and activates it. "Hey, you're right, it does make my head feel better." She says, as if addressing the quiet voice.

Move Action: Move Closer, simultaneously drawing out a wand from her bag.
Standard Action: Activate Wand. Spellcraft DC 16 to identify it as:

Lesser Restoration: [roll0]

Observers Only

Status
Int: 13/18
Dex: 1/10

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah, she got an AoO right?

Elbow Blades
Improved Trip if it hits: [roll2] (-3 from this, it should be +2 not +5)

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:43 PM
What's the spell? You haven't given me the info.

Ah, you've edited it in. Lesser Restoration has a 3 round casting time. Are you going to hover there for 3 full rounds using it?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:45 PM
What's the spell? You haven't given me the info.

Sorry. I usually edit the spell name in after posting, since e-mail notification includes contents of spoilers. Its added now.

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:48 PM
"I think the man who constructed your body needs a bit more practical experience on the subject of in-combat healing. But then, I suppose he doesn't get out very often to fight his own battles, does he?"

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 09:53 PM
OOC: Curses. Foiled by 3 round casting time. Well in that case same action, except that the wand is different. Spellcraft DC 17 to identify it as:

Blindsight

Your Turn

Saph
2009-07-26, 09:58 PM
I auto-pass the Spellcraft checks, by the way, so you can stop spoilering them.

Elanora pulls away for her move action (NOT done). You get an AoO, blindsight negates the Mirror Image. How clumsy are Alita's movements looking, by the way? And tell me if her Int ever changes.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:00 PM
Elbow Blades AoO

Well, shes clumsier than before if you're asking.

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:09 PM
Elanora

"I wish you would stop trying to stab me with those things-" Elanora is interrupted by Alita's elbow blade attack, which she deflects with a raised arm.

She sighs. "Oh, all right. I should point out three factors that I think you failed to fully consider, though." Elanora zooms away, then comes back around in a circle, drawing something from behind her back as she does so.

"Factor One: I don't know if you've been keeping track, but all the time you've been chasing me we've been gaining height. We're currently about two hundred feet up, give or take.

Factor Two: That ray I just hit you with can't stop you moving completely, but other things can.

Factor Three . . ." Elanora tosses a round object at Alita. Ranged touch attack, [roll0].

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:11 PM
" . . . Tanglefoot bag."

You're automatically entangled for [roll0] rounds. -2 to attack, -4 to Dex.

You also need to make a DC 15 Reflex save, at a hefty penalty from the ray and entanglement effect.

If the total Dex penalty takes you down to zero, or the Reflex save fails, or both . . . then Alita's about to be introduced to the ground. Very hard.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:24 PM
reflex save: [roll0]

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:26 PM
Want to roll falling damage, or should I?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:26 PM
Well Alita's Dex is reduced to zero so she falls anyway

Falling Damage: [roll0]

So she's on the ground for the next 3 rounds. Make them count.

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:28 PM
Elanora watches Alita fall out of the sky. "Falling angel. Kind of appropriate."

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 10:35 PM
Which square is she over now anyway? We haven't specified so far, so I might just arbitrarily say that she lands in the water which breaks her fall.

Saph
2009-07-26, 10:39 PM
We've been flying back and forth all over the place, and I certainly doubt Alita's in any condition to pick a landing spot.

You might as well just roll for it randomly. Roll 1d26 for the X axis, and 1d20 for the Y axis, and see where you land.

Or alternately, you can let me pick an area, as I was the one being chased. Your call.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:28 PM
Dice approach seems the most fair.

Axis 1: [roll0]
Axis 2: [roll1]

Well she lands in J7, which is a river square. Her fall is broken. She sinks to the bottom of the river, out of sight. Time to start looking up the rules for aquatic combat.

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:32 PM
Check again.

That square is a mixture of beach and water. At most, you're going to land in 5 feet of water. Even if it was 10 feet, which is isn't, 10 feet of water does not break a 200-foot fall. Check the falling rules.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:36 PM
That square is a mixture of beach and water. At most, you're going to land in 5 feet of water. Even if it was 10 feet, which is isn't,

No, the map specifies that the water is 10 feet deep. Not 10 feet deep in the centre and 5 feet deep near the shore. Think of the shore as a vertical wall, not unlike a swimming pool.

10 feet of water does not break a 200-foot fall. Check the falling rules.

I said it breaks her fall, not that it breaks her fall *completely*

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:38 PM
No, the map specifies that the water is 10 feet deep. Not 10 feet deep in the centre and 5 feet deep near the shore. Think of the shore as a vertical wall, not unlike a swimming pool.

*shrug* If you insist. I'll give you fair warning that it won't work to your advantage, though.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:40 PM
New falling damage: [roll0]

Alita is now at the bottom of the pool of water. Since you haven't ended your turn yet, what else do you do next?

Observers Only

Status
HP: 22/88
Int: 10/18
Dex: 1/10

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:42 PM
End turn.

Do you want me to do each round separately and wait for your reaction after each one, or shall I do them together?

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:44 PM
Just do them together to save time. Alita may or may not decide to interrupt you in the middle.

Saph
2009-07-26, 11:53 PM
Okay, round 1, descend and cast Web next to Alita. Centred underwater, at the intersection of J5 and K6.

The webs fill the 10-foot deep river from top to bottom, criss-crossing the swimming pool walls and covering Alita and all the squares next to her. Alita's entangled automatically (duplicates previous effect, see above) and needs a Reflex save to avoid also being immobilised, which I assume she fails, though you can make one if you really want.

Observers Only
Reep also hits me up with a Heroism.

JeminiZero
2009-07-26, 11:58 PM
Go on.......

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:02 AM
Round 2, Descend to ground level, out of your LoS.

Cast Freedom of Movement.
Round 3, do something you can't see. Make a Spot check, though, if you're in a position to look around.

Creep up to J8 and look down into the water. Ready action to evade if Alita comes up to attack again. Hide: [roll0]. Reep readies his ray for the word.
The Tanglefoot Bag wears off, but your entangled condition does not, as the Web's still got you.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:11 AM
If Alita casts from wands underwater, are you able to detect it? Because I would reason that the water absorbs sound, and you are also out of line of sight.

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:12 AM
Do you have some way of being able to speak underwater, and are you immune to Webs? And I'm observing you, so I can see what you're doing.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:16 AM
Do you have some way of being able to speak underwater, and are you immune to Webs? And I'm observing you, so I can see what you're doing.

Line of sight cuts both ways. If you are out of her line of sight, she is out of yours. I mean, didn't you move to ground level out of LoS during the 2nd round?

As for speaking underwater, remeber that Alita is a living construct. She doesn't need to breath, so her vocal systems could just as easily function below and above water (like a waterproof speaker).

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:18 AM
*sigh* I asked you to make a Spot check, remember? I'm right above you, watching you from hiding.

And again, do you have some sort of immunity to Webs? If not, you're still entangled and so at Dex 0.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:23 AM
*sigh* I asked you to make a Spot check, remember? I'm right above you, watching you from hiding.

[roll0]

And again, do you have some sort of immunity to Webs? If not, you're still entangled and so at Dex 0.

Then I suppose I have to wait for the ray of clumsiness to wear off.

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:24 AM
A voice speaks into Alita's mind. Hey! So, I guess we got interrupted up there. The good news is that I'm a telepath, so I can talk to you even while you're underwater. Isn't that great?

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:31 AM
In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not actually trying to kill you. I'm not sure if you can be killed, to be honest. Though I can't help thinking that might be more of a curse than a blessing in your particular case . . .

Detect Magic, concentrate for 3 rounds unless something happens. Tell me what I see.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:31 AM
Well, let me see, make a caster level check against DC 38.

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:33 AM
You're not using that Nondetection interpretation again, are you? Can't make a DC 38 check.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:37 AM
You're not using that Nondetection interpretation again, are you?

Yes I am. Although the non-detection in this case only applies to her personal buffs, not her equipment. For that, I went with Magic Aura.

Can't make a DC 38 check.

You sense no magic around Alita at all, neither on her being on her equipment.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:39 AM
In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not actually trying to kill you. I'm not sure if you can be killed, to be honest. Though I can't help thinking that might be more of a curse than a blessing in your particular case . . .

"If you want to kill me, then go ahead and do it. I have no reason to live, and no fear of death." Somewhere deep below Alita's mind, you detect a proto-sentience of some sort. Like the mechanical mind of a warforged, only much more primitive.

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:43 AM
Yes I am. Although the non-detection in this case only applies to her personal buffs, not her equipment. For that, I went with Magic Aura.

I still don't think that works, by the way, but I can't exactly make a DM ruling on a game I'm playing in.

I'll go with your interpretation here, because seeing no magic auras tells me everything I wanted to know anyway. Any normal PC of this level should be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Saph
2009-07-27, 12:44 AM
Which part of 'not trying to kill you' did you miss the first time? Honestly, do you think about everything in terms of killing and dying?

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:47 AM
I'll go with your interpretation here, because seeing no magic auras tells me everything I wanted to know anyway. Any normal PC of this level should be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Not necessarily. Like I previously mentioned, any rogue worth his salt can get an eternal wand of magic aura, 2 castings per day to cover 2 pieces of equipment. This will blind arcane sight from detecting them, and is a good measure for any HiPS build.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 12:51 AM
Which part of 'not trying to kill you' did you miss the first time? Honestly, do you think about everything in terms of killing and dying?

"Of course not. There is evisceration, the rush of sweet brutal violence, murder, ARGGHHH!!!!" As Alita struggles with the voices in her head, you sense the proto-sentience trying to communicate with her and calm her down.

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:00 AM
Not necessarily. Like I previously mentioned, any rogue worth his salt can get an eternal wand of magic aura, 2 castings per day to cover 2 pieces of equipment.

CL 1 wand? How long's that going to last? And one area dispel will knock out every casting at once. Which I'm not going to do, by the way.

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:02 AM
Well, I'm not interested in any of those things. Sorry. You're just going to have to deal with facing an opponent who isn't keen on killing you.

Could you give me a visual listing of Alita's equipment, please?

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:04 AM
CL 1 wand? How long's that going to last? And one area dispel will knock out every casting at once. Which I'm not going to do, by the way.

Magic Aura lasts 1 day/level. So 1 eternal wands can cover 2 pieces of equipment for the whole day. Also, for dispel to work, you must intentionally target that piece of equipment, which happens NOT to detect as magical, which is usually not the first thing that comes to mind. It requires either lots of metagaming, or a really smart opponent to do that.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:06 AM
Well, I'm not interested in any of those things. Sorry. You're just going to have to deal with facing an opponent who isn't keen on killing you.

OOC: By the way, I am giving you a chance to find out a bit of her recent history with the proto-sentience. Alita isn't nearly sane enough to answer questions logically, but the Proto-Sentience there has managed to be unaffected by the Dungeon's subversive influence.

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:07 AM
Actually, that's an interesting one. What happens if I use Telepathy to talk with the different bits of her mind?

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:07 AM
Could you give me a visual listing of Alita's equipment, please?

Uh.. give me a while to put this together. I don't have the visual description of ANY of her gear.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:09 AM
Actually, that's an interesting one. What happens if I use Telepathy to talk with the different bits of her mind?

OOC: Its not a really different bit of her mind. The protosentience was installed by her (latest) builder. Its the quiet voice I've been referring to so far.

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:10 AM
Okay, I'll have a closer look at the proto-sentience, and try and have a talk with that. Hello? Can you hear me?

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:14 AM
Okay, I'll have a closer look at the proto-sentience, and try and have a talk with that. Hello? Can you hear me?
Telepathic Communication Detected...

Initiating Command Core...

E.L.A.I.S.U. v1.0 operational interface activated.

Please state Command Word to gain first level security clearance:

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:14 AM
And I'm heading outside for a while to go look around the city. I won't be back for a good few hours, so I'll wait on the equipment list. Catch you later.

Saph
2009-07-27, 01:15 AM
Telepathic Communication Detected...

Initiating Command Core...

E.L.A.I.S.U. operational interface activated.

Please state Command Word to gain first level security clearance:

Uh . . . Elaisu? Is that your name? I'm sorry, I can't quite figure out what you're saying.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 01:18 AM
OOC: What, you think they would put a chip in her without encrypting it? :smalltongue: This is basically an Int Check to guess the password to gain clearance.

Saph
2009-07-27, 02:39 AM
Elanora's from a fantasy world. How's she going to know anything about computers? :P

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 02:41 AM
Elanora's from a fantasy world. How's she going to know anything about computers? :P

She wouldn't. Its not asking for a password. Its asking for a command word, which is the more commonly recognized term in the D&D world for activating items, even intelligent items, in this case, the Proto-Sentience. :smalltongue:

Saph
2009-07-27, 02:45 AM
All right, then, Int check. :P [roll0]

Anyway, tell me when you get a chance to put up the equip list.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 02:50 AM
You entered: Fluffy-Doodle-Duff

Rejected. Please Try Again.

Uh... keep rolling, I think I will arbitrarily set the DC to be 20. There is no penalty for failure, since the people who made it forgot to limit the number of tries you could have.

Saph
2009-07-27, 02:54 AM
Well, it gives me something to do in the meantime, I guess.

[roll0] Open Sesame? Rosebud? Swordfish?
[roll1] Moonlight? Whisper? Roy, Haley, and Elan?
[roll2] Mcdonalds? The One Ring? Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo?
[roll3]
[roll4]

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 03:15 AM
Well, it gives me something to do in the meantime, I guess.

[roll0] Open Sesame? Rosebud? Swordfish?
[roll1] Moonlight? Whisper? Roy, Haley, and Elan?
[roll2] Mcdonalds? The One Ring? Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo?
[roll3] <You're in!>
[roll4]

You entered: Beware the Mind-Flayer

Password Accepted: Security Access Level 1 (General Maintainence Crew) granted.

Emerald Legion Artificial Intelligence Support Unit v1.0
Select an option:
1. View Damage and Repair History
2. View Basic Enemy Log
3. Access Level 2 Security

OOC: Don't expect too much information from level 1 security :smalltongue:

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 04:02 AM
And on the traditional Equipment Slots you find:
-Head: A black, elastic silk band that holds her hair in place
-Face: A small light blue oval crystal, affixed to the centre of her forehead
-Neck: A piece of ruby, carved into the shape of a skull.
-Body: A sturdy earth coloured tunic with gold threaded runes.
-Waist: A belt that looks like its made from crude rope that has been soaked in blood and dried
-Hands: A pair of leather gloves, with silver buckles
-Left finger: A loop of scarlet string, woven into a braid.
-Right finger: A metal ring that looks like its made of copper, with some engravings
-Ankles: A pair of leather bands, affixed with small pewter chimes

Edit: By the way, are you sure Ray of clumsiness stacks? Penalties from the same base spell usually don't.

Observers Only

As if Alita would have that much gear. I blew it all on the Karma Prayer Bead. Most of the stuff listed above is merely something pretty but mundane that Alita put on for fun. Only the Neck, Body and Ankles are real magical gear.

Saph
2009-07-27, 05:53 AM
They don't stack, they overlap. I posted that when I cast the spell, remember?

Okay . . . Option 1?

Cast a spell from a scroll, from hiding.

Primal Hunter
I assume you've got a pack as well, right? And what are you carrying, the wand and the staff?

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 09:34 AM
I assume you've got a pack as well, right? And what are you carrying, the wand and the staff?

OOC: Oh yeah. There are those as well. The staffs description is in the first description post. Its basically a crudely crafted and aged piece of stick. The pack is... a pack. I can't think of anything else to describe it.

You also see, what appears to be a small metal figurine of a cat, tied to her belt.

Okay . . . Option 1?

Loading Damage and Repair History. Please select time period:

OOC: Basically, its asking from when to when do you want to view the damage and repair history. And in case you are really bored, "All" is an acceptable command. :smalltongue:

Saph
2009-07-27, 09:49 AM
Well, I don't know what dating system they're using, so I'll go with All.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 10:05 AM
Time Period All, Acknowledged:
Time 074301094778: Structural Integrity Damaged from falling while battling unknown witch.
Time 074276094778: Speed actuators suppressed while battling unknown witch.
Time 074152094778: Brain Damage sustained while battling unknown witch.
Time 863671084778: Completed Repairs on rapier damage sustained at entry 239465074678
Time 239465074678: Sustained Rapier Damage against unknown fencer

The system continues to drone on and on about damage received and repaired from the most recent to the oldest. You can interrupt it any point, but it is clear that if you let it carry on, it will eventually reach time 0.

Saph
2009-07-27, 11:05 AM
"Witch? Well, I've been called worse."

Elanora takes a deep breath and hops into the water, sinking through the webs to land next to Alita. Sorry about this, but if you get the chance to start attacking me again, I'd like to make sure you have as few resources as possible.

Take Alita's equipment. Let's see, going from the top . . . Headband, skull necklace, rope belt, rings, cat figurine, and ankle bands shouldn't be much trouble, I'll just take them off, untying or undoing them if required. Wand and staff I'll take from her hands, or wherever they're lying. Pack I'll take off if possible, if not I'll cut the straps with my dagger. I'll also take anything hanging on her belt, such as spell components, holy symbols, and weapons.

That leaves the crystal on her forehead, the gloves, the tunic, and her armour. Crystal and gloves I'll see if I can take off. Tunic and armour might be more of a hassle . . . what sort of fastenings do they use?

When and if the pile of stuff gets too heavy, I'll swim up, put it on the river bank, and come down for another load.

While she works, Elanora will carrying on listening with half an ear to the damage reports, and will resume her telepathic chat with Alita. So now I'm soaking wet, in a clinging robe, stripping the clothes and equipment from an underage and semi-robotic Japanese-looking girl with wings who's tied up in a spiderweb. I'm glad no-one's watching this. They'd probably be recording it for some freaky hentai show.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 09:39 PM
Well, I might as well concede now. No way Alita is going to win without any gear.

On hindsight, I should have copied Talic and started at a random elavation so that I have some time to buff.

Saph
2009-07-27, 09:47 PM
Oh, can you start high up? I'd been assuming that the starting area was a 10' cube. Otherwise I would have started with a lot more elevation, too.

Anyway, while I can understand that it's a bit frustrating to get jumped as you did, I should point out that having a character who depends on buffing up with only a -6 initiative modifier is kinda asking for it. Unreactive is a flaw for a reason, after all.

JeminiZero
2009-07-27, 10:02 PM
Oh, can you start high up? I'd been assuming that the starting area was a 10' cube. Otherwise I would have started with a lot more elevation, too.

The map zones don't explicitly specify a starting elevation, only that you start in that zone.

Anyway, while I can understand that it's a bit frustrating to get jumped as you did, I should point out that having a character who depends on buffing up with only a -6 initiative modifier is kinda asking for it. Unreactive is a flaw for a reason, after all.

Observers Only (and Saph, if she wants to read all this crap after the match is over)

Yes, but her setup is such that even without buffing rounds, she is exceptionally invulnerable to almost everything... EXCEPT ability damage. She was built for dungeoneering, able to keep fighting without much in way of significant short term buffs.

If you had hit her with a damage nova (123d6 hulking hurler rock, or 46d4 nova psion) she would have shrugged it off. If you had spammed energy drain (as the soul eater knife throwing halfling) she would be ok. Same thing goes for poison, disease etc.

But no, your first action was to hit her with ability damage. :smallfrown: Its not that she is always vulnerable to ability damage, she just needs Sheltered Vitality up first at least.

Saph
2009-07-27, 10:09 PM
Yes, but her setup is such that even without buffing rounds, she is exceptionally invulnerable to almost everything... EXCEPT ability damage. If you had hit her with a damage nova (123d6 hulking hurler rock, or 46d4 nova psion) she would have shrugged it off. If you had spammed energy drain (as the soul eater knife throwing halfling) she would be ok. Same thing goes for poison, disease etc.

I know. Mindsight, remember? First thing I did after learning your creature type was to look up the Eberron Campaign Setting for the Living Construct type, check what they were and weren't immune to, and cross-reference it against my spell list. Just one more reason why Mindsight is awesome. :P

But no, your first action was to hit her with ability damage. :smallfrown: Its not that she is always vulnerable to ability damage, she just needs Sheltered Vitality up first at least.

Yup, and I didn't give you the chance to put that or any similar defensive spells up before jumping you. There was a reason for this. :smalltongue:

Saph
2009-07-27, 10:59 PM
Oh, and after subduing Alita, Elanora's going to take her back home and have some of the elven wizards take a look at her. Like she said, she was there to bring Alita in, not kill her.