PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's prophecy *Spoilers*

Rin_Hunter
2009-07-26, 01:20 PM
There seems to be no speculation about Durkon's prophecy (unlike Belkar and V's) and this has been spinning around in my head for a while and it's been bothering me, so I'm just going to say it.

I believe Durkon will be killed at Girard's Gate and the Gate is somehow destroyed.

Xykon will raise him as a zombie and move on.

On the way to Kraagor's Gate, they will find Durkon's home. Durkon is returning posthumously and also, as per Origins of the PCs, he is bringing destruction to his home.

Has anyone else thought about this?

Keris
2009-07-26, 01:42 PM

Yes, I've seen that theory before a couple of times. It's certainly more plausible than some of the other ones I've seen.

Rin_Hunter
2009-07-26, 01:44 PM
What are some of the other ones? I don't see Durkon turning evil or anything like that.

Acero
2009-07-26, 02:16 PM
What are some of the other ones? I don't see Durkon turning evil or anything like that.

after his death, thor takes Durkon to Vallhala. and makes him a god.
Durkon, now godly, can travel anywhere, but stays in the dwarvern homelands. the worst 1 ive heard

Ancalagon
2009-07-26, 02:50 PM

Durkon's death and Xykon following is the most common - and I also think the only plausible - theory. But Xykon zombiefying someone is also a decent reason for "death and destruction". We'll have to see how it turns out. ;)

NerfTW
2009-07-26, 03:06 PM
Another theory is simply that the Order brings him to the Dwarven lands to raise him, since they wouldn't have a cleric anymore. He doesn't actually bring destruction, they just happen to get there before Xykon (there's a gate nearby) and his "return" brings destruction simply because it's signalling that there's only that one gate left, and Xykon will be coming after it.

Altaria87
2009-07-26, 03:12 PM
Another theory is simply that the Order brings him to the Dwarven lands to raise him, since they wouldn't have a cleric anymore. He doesn't actually bring destruction, they just happen to get there before Xykon (there's a gate nearby) and his "return" brings destruction simply because it's signalling that there's only that one gate left, and Xykon will be coming after it.
Maybe get Hiylga (sp?) to raise him?

Ancalagon
2009-07-26, 03:37 PM
Maybe get Hiylga (sp?) to raise him?

Who else? :)

Liwen
2009-07-26, 05:44 PM
It also possible they will rush to the Dwarven lands with Xykon on their tails. Durkon gets killed in the final battle for the gate and his body it brought back to his home for a proper ceremony. He might also just adventure until he dies of old age.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-26, 08:36 PM
It also possible they will rush to the Dwarven lands with Xykon on their tails. Durkon gets killed in the final battle for the gate and his body it brought back to his home for a proper ceremony. He might also just adventure until he dies of old age.

I find this the least likely one of all. Durkon will rush home at the drop of a hat. I'm hoping that the postal service of Oots turns out to exist and be a rather obscure prestige class. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0240.html)

Moogleking
2009-07-27, 04:02 AM
I heard a rather hilarious theory that Hilgya would have gotten pregnant from the goings-on in Dorukon's Dungeon and given birth to twins, named Death and Destruction. Hilgya meets Durkon at some point and being the respectable guy he is he takes the kids back to be raised (that is, brought up) in the Dwarven lands.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-27, 05:22 AM
I heard a rather hilarious theory that Hilgya would have gotten pregnant from the goings-on in Dorukon's Dungeon and given birth to twins, named Death and Destruction. Hilgya meets Durkon at some point and being the respectable guy he is he takes the kids back to be raised (that is, brought up) in the Dwarven lands.

I like this theory best, simply because it fits with Rich's light-hearted plot. :smallsmile:

People grumble that Durkon never gets character development. Nothing develops a person more than realizing that they are now responsible for a couple of ankle biters!

kpenguin
2009-07-27, 05:25 AM

BEST
THEORY
EVER

Itamarcu
2009-07-27, 05:42 AM
Ooooohhhh! Ooooohhhh! I know! Choose me!

Durkon will be zombified, by X, then he will go with X to his home because of something, X will leave him there <DEATH>. Then Durkon will enter his home <AS THE PROPHECY SAID> and will break a chair <DESTRUCTION>!
Then someone kills him, and Thor makes him the god of Characters Without Character Development.

What a smart theory, eh?:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: The Twins Theory is the best one I've ever heard.

lothos
2009-07-27, 05:49 AM

YES ! YES ! YES !
Kingpenguin is right, BEST THEORY EVER !
I so hope this is the way it works out.

GarmStoylen
2009-07-27, 06:17 AM
Actually, Durkon has no reason to go home. At all.

By his reaction to the prophecy, he is content. He gets to rest with his ancestors, and that's enough for him - no doubt he would return at the drop of a hat if somebody told him he could, but I don't see that happening (unless he then dies on the way home.

A possible explanation is that Durkon never goes home, is sent home after his death for burial, and something horrible happens in the Dwarven homelands that Durkon could have prevented, had he been there - or that happens as a result of the quest he's on (Hilgya swearing revenge on the dwarven peoples, backlash from the destruction of the Gates, something like that).

After all, a prophecy brought about because of attempts to avoid it is a so well-established concept it makes Faustian bargains look like a new-fangled idea by comparison.

NerfTW
2009-07-28, 09:25 PM
The only problem with it being a joke is that Odin himself gave the prophecy, as an emergency. This isn't like the Oracle who likes to jerk people around. This was an APB, Code Red, direct line to the head cleric call.

Heroic
2009-07-28, 10:06 PM

WOW... this is totally the best Durkon theory ever.