PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items and 3.5

Voldecanter
2009-07-26, 01:21 PM
I am just curious , if I were to play a RAW game , how many magic items would I run into for levels 1-10 if I were to play by what the treasure charts assume , and if I often played published adventures created by WOTC ?

daggaz
2009-07-26, 01:26 PM
At level ten, nearly every single fight will include at least some magical items, if you go by the charts alone.

So, plenty.

Jack_Simth
2009-07-26, 01:30 PM
I am just curious , if I were to play a RAW game , how many magic items would I run into for levels 1-10 if I were to play by what the treasure charts assume , and if I often played published adventures created by WOTC ?Lots, most of them relatively minor. Exact numbers are useless here, because they're random generation tables, and it'll vary significantly by what monsters the DM throws at you (and their associated treasure lines), what adventures you use, and so forth.

Thorcrest
2009-07-26, 02:12 PM
Just a good reason to not only play by the charts, but to allow the DM to make the decision based on what is upcoming and the players abilities, example you have a party with no thief maybe a little something to help them, but never something in every encounter, if we all played by all the charts, all the characters would be giant walking treasure troves of magic items which the book itself says are rare powerful artifacts, whoever came up with the idea of level based encounters, did the monsters in a region decide to suddenly get better since i was here three levels ago

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-26, 09:05 PM
At level ten, nearly every single fight will include at least some magical items, if you go by the charts alone.

So, plenty.

This is true.

Creatures between CR1-5 with 'standard' treasure have roughly a 30% chance to have at least one magical item on them. CR6 creatures with 'standard treasure have an 84% chance. This drops down to about 23% between CR7-9 and then goes up to 89% for CR10.

The majority of the items you find will be minor. Going strictly by the treasure tables ends up granting -- in my experience -- many potions and scrolls that are generally useless for the party. This won't stop most characters from hanging onto them 'just in case'.

Many creatures have 'double' items, or no items so it can in large part depend on the types of monsters. I believe RAI places these items not always in the creatures' possession but often hidden in a lair nearby, etc, so they can cover 'hidden treasure' as well in a standard adventure or module.

Average numbers of magical items obtained by level 10 just through slaying monsters will vary greatly between groups based on the monsters fought so it is very difficult to extrapolate the numbers through the treasure tables (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm) and average encounters per level. There are too many variables. You can pick up a couple free 3.5 modules over at the wizards website and count up the magical items in one for a guideline if you want, but again it will depend heavily on the types of creatures.

Gold acquired comes into play too, of course. Most of the wealth a character acquires in a RAW magic-item shopping mall campaign is going to be spent on magic items to fill the gaps left by loot they did not acquire.

obnoxious
sig

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-26, 09:21 PM
Depends on the version. If you use the DMG, there's a chance that the players will never see a single magic item for their entire career. If this is the case, you may wish to implement a modified version of the Legacy Item rules (specifically, no penalties and somewhat more expensive price tags) or even let players found their own Legacy Items.

If you use the MIC version, magic items will be taken care of (though the party may want an Artificer to make efficient use of those items). The MIC completely overhauled the treasure chart, and made it easier to use/understand.

ericgrau
2009-07-27, 09:18 AM
The majority of the items you find will be minor. Going strictly by the treasure tables ends up granting -- in my experience -- many potions and scrolls that are generally useless for the party. This won't stop most characters from hanging onto them 'just in case'.

Ha I buy them "just in case" and "in case" comes up frequently. Gotta be prepared. My party OTOH doesn't know what to do with them and haven't bothered with them so much. One said she wondered which spells were on my spell list and which were just scrolls. Though it's easy to tell if you know the spells. I usually use low level utility scrolls out of combat and high level combat spells within combat.

If you want a rough idea of how much treasure PCs get at each level, I'd google "wealth by level", find the difference between that level and the one before it, then divide by 13.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-27, 11:47 AM
If you want a rough idea of how much treasure PCs get at each level, I'd google "wealth by level", find the difference between that level and the one before it, then divide by 13.And add some. Wands, scrolls, and similar expendables are worked into the WBL charts. It's generally better IMHO to take the average standard treasure per encounter and multiply it by 13.3. Comes out closer to actual WBL in practice.