PDA

View Full Version : Repelling Stuff

Strawman
2009-07-26, 01:34 PM
I was reading through the 3.5 player guide's spell section and I noticed two spells that I have never seen used in a game. Repel Metal or Stone, and Repel Wood.

It seems like a couple of fairly high level druids could use these spells to protect a location from an entire army, by repelling all their metal and wood equipment. It would only last for a short time, but it would still be absurdly useful. The druids could also place an entire field's worth of loose metal, stone, and wood shrapnel around themselves before casting. This would essentially create a giant grenade effect. The manual even mentions seige towers as moveable by the Repel Wood spell.

My question is, why are these spells not used regularly by every druid capable of casting them? Is there some fault with the application of the spells that I am unaware of?

Moriato
2009-07-26, 01:43 PM
Because it's a 60ft line area. Which makes it significantly less useful except in hallways

Edit: Also the line can't be moved once it's set so... yeah, just not very useful except in very, very specific situations

Strawman
2009-07-26, 01:50 PM
Oh, okay, thanks. I was a little confused at first, I think because my guide is old. It has the spell's range as 100ft+10ft per lvl, and the area as a path 120ft wide. When I looked the spell up online it was a 60ft line like you said.

Maybe it used to be too powerful, so they nerfed it.