PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cry.

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 03:03 PM
I've been working on maps, NPC statblocks, dialogue, NPC tokens since yesterday morning. And then, and then today, right before the session is about to start - when it's all almost done - someone decides that it's easier to flip switches at random in the fusebox instead of finding the chart that lists which switches go to where.

-sob-

Photoshop doesn't have an 'autosave' feature and I do most of my shorthand writing in Textpad, which doesn't have it on by default.

Yukitsu
2009-07-26, 03:06 PM
And an important lesson is learned, Ie. save your data every half hour or so.

Moriato
2009-07-26, 03:08 PM
Ouch, that sucks, I wish I could tell you there was some way to recover it all, but if it was never saved, there's nothing to recover :smallfrown:

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-26, 03:10 PM
I've been working on maps, NPC statblocks, dialogue, NPC tokens since yesterday morning. And then, and then today, right before the session is about to start - when it's all almost done - someone decides that it's easier to flip switches at random in the fusebox instead of finding the chart that lists which switches go to where.

-sob-

Photoshop doesn't have an 'autosave' feature and I do most of my shorthand writing in Textpad, which doesn't have it on by default.

<;_;> I feel your pain. I learned that lesson with my artwork <x.x> I'd gotten so engrossed in it that when the electricity went out I was probably 80% done.

This taught me to save. A lot. ><

Comet
2009-07-26, 03:12 PM
-sob-
Damn. That's happened to me, too. On more than one occasion.
We need some humour to lighten the mood. This is best done by laughing at you and your misfortune.
Har har har.

Nah, that didn't work. Maybe that old "Jesus saves!" joke would do the trick?

Dublock
2009-07-26, 03:13 PM
ouch...I'm sorry....but yea...save and save often. If you think about saving you should save, if you get up from your pc, save, if you realized you became distracted, save.

I'm sorry though...I've lost hours of work myself when I had learn that lesson.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-26, 03:15 PM
While I have never had this level of pain, I have had several occasions where I am working on piece, and then have my big toe nudge the power bar switch.
Oops.
Now the power bar is far away from any possible toe related nudgery. And I save, and save, and save.
The trouble is, saving can derail the train of thought.

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 03:18 PM
The only other time I've lost work like this was when my surge protector's power button was right by my toe. But I -do- keep autosave on with OpenOffice... just not the other stuff.

I'm going to go drown my sorrows in the remaining cup of ice cream we have.

potatocubed
2009-07-26, 03:22 PM
It sucks when that happens. All I can say is that you need to learn from this experience so that it never happens again: train yourself to hit Ctrl+S every few minutes, or whenever you're not doing anything else.

Or do it on Google Docs. Doing all your writing on Google Docs means that not only is it autosaved every so often, somebody else is making sure that the data is all backed up in case of a server meltdown.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-26, 03:23 PM
Ice cream is the great solver of problems <^-^>m This is why my fridge is currently stocked with both Coffee and Chocolate flavors >.>m

(Okay it may also be because I have a HUGE sweet tooth)

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 03:29 PM
Or do it on Google Docs. Doing all your writing on Google Docs means that not only is it autosaved every so often, somebody else is making sure that the data is all backed up in case of a server meltdown.

I am -not- giving the Google machine any more steam than it already has. :|

The chocolate ice cream is helping my sorrows.

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-26, 03:37 PM
I've had something along those lines happen as well, but it was that I wasn't aware that my laptop charger wasn't working, and that the battery has a fairly short lifespan these days. :smallfrown: My stuff on OpenOffice survived, but the little notes I was taking in Notepad did not. :smallfrown:

Anyway, sorry to hear that!

PLUN
2009-07-26, 03:51 PM
Writer protip: take three deep breaths, say 'second draft' and go at it while it's fresh. It will be better, trust me. Second drafts are the biggest changes and inheirantly superior. If you're feeling really defeated, play with a pen and paper or visio and doodle a diagram or something, keep a shred of momentum and what you had originally.

Mando Knight
2009-07-26, 03:52 PM
For more prevention, use an uninterruptible power supply (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply). And stock up on ice cream.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-26, 03:55 PM
Fortunately, this has never happened to me, because I got into the Ctrl-S-after-every-sentence habit before something like this happened rather than in reaction to it. Aside from compulsive saving, two things have helped me avoid this: (1) Using a laptop. If your power dies and you have even 30 seconds of battery left, that's enough time to save and close everything. (2) Using programs with document recovery. In OpenOffice, if the power suddenly dies and you haven't saved a document recently, it'll recover the document the next time you open it. (Don't know if Word does this too, I haven't used MS stuff in years.)

The moral of the story is that writing shorthand in Notepad is probably not the best idea, and if you don't use a graphics program with autosave, Ctrl-S is your best friend. Switching to OO Writer and GIMP should prevent this from happening again. [/proselytizing]

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 03:57 PM
Word was the first to do it, remember OpenOffice is largely a copy. :P I use OpenOffice for actual writing.

TextPad has an autosave feature and I guess I'll be using it from now on. I like having fewer buttons and margin worries when I'm writing notes. As for GIMP, I'm staying far, far away. That thing is a pain to use.

Strawman
2009-07-26, 04:01 PM
By my count, I've lost three essays and a short story to power outages. I also lost power once in the middle of signing up for classes online, after I had gotten up a six a.m. in order to get good spots.

Microscopic nuclear power sources can not come soon enough.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-26, 04:11 PM
Instead of saving regularly from now on you should make a point of not saving. Every minute that goes by without saving will be an adrenaline packed thrill- ride of danger, since you know the dangers of it first hand. Now is the time to spit in the face of lost data and live on the edge.

BloodyAngel
2009-07-26, 04:16 PM
I've lost a good six hours progress on an art piece I'd been working on, due to nothing more than our crappy wiring. Considering I make my living selling my art, that was about the same as going to work for nearly a full day, and then being told that you weren't getting paid because "oops". I had to spend the next day re-doing everything again... when I could have been moving on to my next commission.

I feel your pain. It DID teach me to always save my stuff every ten or fifteen minutes, though.

Starsinger
2009-07-26, 04:31 PM
Astral, that sucks, I know just what that feels like.

Badgercloak
2009-07-26, 04:46 PM
Save often and also keep a hard copy or print out of what you've done.

Sliver
2009-07-26, 04:57 PM
Once I had finished some homework and (without saving first) left for a sec.. My dad has a habit of catching my PC almost every time I leave so he just logged on to check some email and then exited.. When he was asked if he would like to save changes, he automaticly clicked "No".. The email window wasn't full size and he clicked near the X but instead of the email.. MY HOMEWORK. Had to waste a few more hours to re-make that stuff...

Drakyn
2009-07-26, 06:07 PM
On the very small upside, if you manage to gather the mental fortitude to redo any of this stuff, odds are you'll make half of it better and double its size with some other things you've thought of along the way. I had a forced rewrite like that five years back or so when my computer was still melting down once per year - lost over a hundred pages of combined world mythology and creatures. The good news was that much of it sucked and this let me take a fresh shot at it.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-26, 06:15 PM
On the very small upside, if you manage to gather the mental fortitude to redo any of this stuff, odds are you'll make half of it better and double its size with some other things you've thought of along the way. I had a forced rewrite like that five years back or so when my computer was still melting down once per year - lost over a hundred pages of combined world mythology and creatures. The good news was that much of it sucked and this let me take a fresh shot at it.

This is very true.

I actually deleted one of my stories some time back because, although it was OK as it was, I knew if I forced myself to do it all over again (and without being able to simply re-copy it... that is - I'd have to do it from scratch, but with the 'general ideas' still in place, rather than going word-for-word) It'd come out better.

And it did. (I did however yell and scream at myself the entire way through the process >.< because every time I wanted to give up I had to realize "... give up = no story" >.<)

Doc Roc
2009-07-26, 06:23 PM
What do you need, for what system, and when do you need it by, AF? You've amused me on a number of occasions so I freely offer my assistance. Please contact me via listed means or PM.

Gan The Grey
2009-07-26, 06:28 PM
Yeah the worst thing that's ever happened is someone broke into my car and took all my DnD stuff, including a binder with the stats and maps of an entire world I built. I'm still trying to picture what a "DnD Thug" looks like...

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-26, 06:36 PM
Protip: Write on a laptop with Word.

AstralFire
2009-07-26, 06:42 PM
What do you need, for what system, and when do you need it by, AF? You've amused me on a number of occasions so I freely offer my assistance. Please contact me via listed means or PM.

That's... incredibly kind of you Tidesinger, and thank you for the compliment as well. But this is part of an on-going campaign, and one member is having significant real life difficulties; by the time the power came back on, we'd agreed to delay this session another week.

Thanks for the encouragement as well, to those who offered. :elan:

Aneantir
2009-07-26, 06:52 PM
Yeah the worst thing that's ever happened is someone broke into my car and took all my DnD stuff, including a binder with the stats and maps of an entire world I built. I'm still trying to picture what a "DnD Thug" looks like...

He looks suspiciously like a DM who forgot to plan for his session later that night.

Zergrusheddie
2009-07-26, 06:59 PM
Nah, that didn't work. Maybe that old "Jesus saves!" joke would do the trick?

Jesus Saves. (http://www.jinx.com/Content/Product/343p_0c_1b.jpg)

I think I will add to this thread with my completely unique statement:
Dude, that sucks hardcore. How many hours of work did you lose? :smallfrown:

Jalor
2009-07-26, 07:28 PM
For more prevention, use an uninterruptible power supply (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply). And stock up on ice cream.

I use one now, and it has saved my essays more than once in thunderstorm (read: power outage) country.

But yeah, just get in the habit of mashing Ctrl-S every few seconds.

Alysar
2009-07-26, 11:52 PM
For me, CTRL+S is a nervous tick.

imp_fireball
2009-07-27, 12:11 AM
And an important lesson is learned, Ie. save your data every half hour or so.

Or you could just use google documents. It requires no hard drive and automatically saves every 5 minutes or so, so even if your hard drive dies or gets reformatted and/or set on fire, you can still refer back to your data.

And stock up on ice cream.

And maybe stool hardeners if you're taking that direction. Knowing is half the battle!

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-27, 12:16 AM
Beat the person who can't read a breaker chart with a stick?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-27, 12:24 AM
Beat the person who can't read a breaker chart with a stick?Or a broken whiskey bottle. I prefer the bottle, personally, especially since it is either empty, maning you're drunk, or full, meaning you can now set them on fire.

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 12:44 AM
Beat the person who can't read a breaker chart with a stick?

That would be my father. As today he also ironed part of a silk-and-cotton blanket my mother saved for half a year to buy, and denies it with irrefutable proof, I'm eyeing my lead pipe strongly. :smallannoyed:
Ironing is very bad for tender materials; the cloth there has gotten hard, and parts have been burned through from the sheer heat of the iron, meaning the blanket will tear apart next wash. :\

Doc Roc
2009-07-27, 12:56 AM
I feel like this should be possible to repair... but I don't know anything about textiles.

I can only do so much, so I will settle for constructing a dark citadel and beaming etheric energies your way.It was on the list anyway.

The Mentalist
2009-07-27, 01:23 AM
Aww you poor dear, is the blanket charred or just stiffened?

AstralFire
2009-07-27, 10:10 AM
Aww you poor dear, is the blanket charred or just stiffened?

Stiffened. It's about the width of two irons, and the length of one, with two rips the size of a half-dollar and a nickle each where the heat was hottest. The area around them for about an inch or so looks like plastic, it's kind of disturbing.

Drakyn
2009-07-27, 10:20 AM
Screw the lead pipe, find a spiked baseball bat and coat the spikes in the strongest disinfectant you can find.

Thespianus
2009-07-27, 02:12 PM
Damn. That's happened to me, too. On more than one occasion.

How can you fall into that pit more than once a decade or so? Failed int-check? ;)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-27, 02:14 PM
That would be my father. As today he also ironed part of a silk-and-cotton blanket my mother saved for half a year to buy, and denies it with irrefutable proof, I'm eyeing my lead pipe strongly. :smallannoyed:
Ironing is very bad for tender materials; the cloth there has gotten hard, and parts have been burned through from the sheer heat of the iron, meaning the blanket will tear apart next wash. :\I would like to reiterate my whiskey bottle suggestion.

Thespianus
2009-07-27, 02:16 PM
I feel like this should be possible to repair... but I don't know anything about textiles.[/COLOR]
There ought to be a Druid spell available for just this occation. :)

d13
2009-07-27, 02:20 PM
I deeply feel your pain.

I lost 10 hours of programming, database-ing and shellscript-ing to a power failure 3 hours short of the deadline...

It was not good :smalleek:

RandomNPC
2009-07-27, 02:40 PM
Well I can't claim to know your pain, I have lost a few good games from playing so far into them and having a power outage that I just didn't want to play the game that far again.

and i just lost the game.

If it's any consolation i still prefer physical notebooks, and half the time i can't find my D&D notebook, so i start using the back of my BESM notebook, just to start BESM again and find the game left off in the back of the D&D notebook.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-27, 02:47 PM
I deeply feel your pain.

I lost 10 hours of programming, database-ing and shellscript-ing to a power failure 3 hours short of the deadline...

It was not good :smalleek:

You, a coder and database admin, lost progress because you forgot to save!? As a fellow programmer, I am ashamed to be associated with you. :smallannoyed:

Thespianus
2009-07-27, 03:18 PM
You, a coder and database admin, lost progress because you forgot to save!? As a fellow programmer, I am ashamed to be associated with you. :smallannoyed:

+1, ffs. +10, even! +INT_MAX!

Stegyre
2009-07-27, 03:29 PM
Oh . . . poop! This sounds like just the sort of dad I am. :smalleek:
I'll extend my apologies on his behalf: this dad-work is alot harder than anyone ever told us, and if these are the worst of our screw-ups, you may count yourself lucky. :smallredface:

(Get that uninteruptable powersupply and the notebook. Bill "Dad.")

Doc Roc
2009-07-27, 04:37 PM
+1, ffs. +10, even! +INT_MAX!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask why you aren't using proper source control.

Flashbake (http://bitbucketlabs.net/flashbake/), even!
Everyone, flashbake == win. Don't flinch, don't worry, it's really well made, really easy to use.

Thespianus
2009-07-27, 05:22 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask why you aren't using proper source control.

Yeah, it's a valid question. However, just the idea of not properly saving ones work during the process of programming is.. well.. horrendous.

If it's any kind of real development, and not just a student project, it's just unforgiveable.

d13
2009-07-27, 05:37 PM

Kind of... no xD.

It was the final project, and we were doing like too many things at the same time (a group of 5, with 3 working, you know the drill).

We had 7 PCs running at the same time... We got to save on 5 of them before the power went off.

Stuff that happens when you don't sleep for a PairO' weeks :smalltongue:

Not justifying, just sayin' ~ xD

Thespianus
2009-07-27, 05:44 PM
The first command anyone should ever learn in a text/code editor is the short command for "Save". Be it "Ctrl-S", or "M-x, M-s", it doesn't matter.

Once you get professional about it, you save mechanically, as a free action, almost every round, without thinking about it. :)

Even when I write text like this, my fingers go for the Ctrl-s hot key, whenever I make a brief pause in writing.

Then again, as the saying goes: Pain is a good teacher. If you screw up like that once, you rarely let the power outage get you a second time.

EDIT: ofcourse, there is always the possibility that a sudden power outage will cause the hard drive of your computer to shut down in the middle of a write operation. That can screw with your disk and make you lose more than your work. ;)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-27, 08:30 PM
Kind of... no xD.

It was the final project, and we were doing like too many things at the same time (a group of 5, with 3 working, you know the drill).

We had 7 PCs running at the same time... We got to save on 5 of them before the power went off.

Stuff that happens when you don't sleep for a PairO' weeks :smalltongue:

Not justifying, just sayin' ~ xD

I have yet to lose a single program to not saving, and that includes when we lost the power thanks to a blizzard when I was finishing my AI project at 3 in the morning after having not slept for days. Yes, it sounds like an "uphill both ways in winter" story, but still.

Be it "Ctrl-S", or "M-x, M-s", it doesn't matter.

Or, ahem, ":w" for all us vim folks. :smallamused:

EDIT: ofcourse, there is always the possibility that a sudden power outage will cause the hard drive of your computer to shut down in the middle of a write operation. That can screw with your disk and make you lose more than your work. ;)

That's what journaling file systems are for. Down with NTFS, up with Ext4!

Captain Six
2009-07-28, 02:08 AM
I work with adobe stuff a lot. I've developed the habit/tick that the moment I hesitate I click the save button instead of just letting the mouse sit there. I even get about halfway up while writing emails before I realize that they don't work that way.

Doc Roc
2009-07-28, 02:11 AM
I'm a gedit guy. Simple. Extremely light. Transparent. Always there.
That or I use Eric. Oh man, you've got to try Eric, and you should try flashbake, all of you! :)

Interesting note: I sometimes go for ctrl+s on these forums when I'm editing guides or longer posts, but unlike a smarter creature I'll actually tap it, close the menu that pops, tap it again, and then get confused.

Saph
2009-07-28, 02:26 AM
After having lost a couple of medium-length posts to this forum, I've gotten into the habit of typing Command-A Command-C at intervals when I'm writing a long one.

(That would be Select All, Copy, for those who have a different keyboard and OS to mine. :P)

AslanCross
2009-07-28, 02:45 AM
I use Office 2007's OneNote for writing up D&D (and work and everything else) since it autosaves. My notebook is prone to random crashing (Acer FTL), so I found it quite helpful for making sure sudden problems with power don't kill all my hard work.

I only transfer to Word when I'm ready to print.

Thespianus
2009-07-28, 05:25 AM
That's what journaling file systems are for. Down with NTFS, up with Ext4!

Didn't you know that Linux is the Devil's way to eat your soul?

(I grew up on SunOS/Solaris, so there.)

My point being...well.uhm..save often, save hard, save NOW.

and NOW.

and, yes. Now.

Shpadoinkle
2009-07-28, 05:43 AM
Damn, that really sucks, I'm sorry. But chalk it up as a lesson about why it's so important to save periodically, like every fifteen or twenty minutes. Get a timer or a watch with an alarm and set it to go off every once in a while to remind you to save.

Fixer
2009-07-28, 06:47 AM
Get an uninterrupted power supply (UPS). When the power goes out, that is your cue to save quickly.

That is how I avoid loss of data. $60 at a local discount store for a good one. $40 for a cheap one.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-28, 08:07 AM
Didn't you know that Linux is the Devil's way to eat your soul?

(I grew up on SunOS/Solaris, so there.)

Oh yeah? Well, so is Solaris. If Linux is the devil's fork and knife, Solaris is his chopsticks. So there. :smallamused:

Linux, Solaris, *BSD...it's all fine with me as long as it's not Mac or Windows.

Thespianus
2009-07-28, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah? Well, so is Solaris. If Linux is the devil's fork and knife, Solaris is his chopsticks. So there. :smallamused:

Linux, Solaris, *BSD...it's all fine with me as long as it's not Mac or Windows.
But.. but.. a fella's gotta eat, too. ;) I've got a family to feed. :smallwink:

Ok, this is far off topic. Nuff yappin'

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 04:20 PM
I derail so many threads I have no right to complain if one of mine is derailed. Just as long as it's interestin' to people. :D

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-28, 06:48 PM
But.. but.. a fella's gotta eat, too. ;) I've got a family to feed. :smallwink:

You're feeding your family on Windows!? What, they're munching on EULAs and DRM and dancing paperclips?

Grommen
2009-07-28, 08:04 PM

-sob-

Battery Backup my friend. Never write without one. Know how many times my freeken Air Con has jacked up my power here? Every time I'm sitting here in the dark with the APC crying, then I have to run down stairs and flip the breaker, and it's all back to normal.

Doc Roc
2009-07-28, 08:27 PM
You're feeding your family on Windows!? What, they're munching on EULAs and DRM and dancing paperclips?

There's good money in OLE && VBA dev work, along with a lot of other finicky deep magics that windows relies on to run. Interestingly, developing for windows can be a lot of fun, since you don't have to deal with Distro Fever.

ondonaflash
2009-07-28, 11:24 PM
I am -not- giving the Google machine any more steam than it already has. :|

The chocolate ice cream is helping my sorrows.

GOOGLE IS LEGION!

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 12:23 AM
There's good money in OLE && VBA dev work, along with a lot of other finicky deep magics that windows relies on to run. Interestingly, developing for windows can be a lot of fun, since you don't have to deal with Distro Fever.

Oh, please; it's Mild Distro Common Cold at the very worst. Besides, the Linux kernel has as much deep magic as Windows, it's just that the Linux one works better. :smallwink:

Doc Roc
2009-07-29, 12:59 AM
Oh yes, the kernel does. But the issue is that there are many wells of deep badong magic in the ****ing windows system. particularly with two viable target platforms with nearly entirely different architectures in a lot of respects.

Thespianus
2009-07-29, 02:55 AM

Hey, don't knock having the EULA for breakfast until you're tried it :)

Thespianus
2009-07-29, 02:58 AM
Interestingly, developing for windows can be a lot of fun, since you don't have to deal with Distro Fever.
With dotnet framework 3.5, the sheer awesomeness of developer studio and the new XNA 3D programming APIs, developing software has never ever been this much fun.

It's a wonderous time to be alive! :)

Doc Roc
2009-07-29, 04:41 AM
I worked with the .Net framework for a while, but I don't know how I feel about it. I missed a lot of my stand-bys or found they were hard to reach. I'm afraid i've become a greybeard at the tender age of 22.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 08:03 AM
With dotnet framework 3.5, the sheer awesomeness of developer studio and the new XNA 3D programming APIs, developing software has never ever been this much fun.

It's a wonderous time to be alive! :)

Real programmers use a text editor and command-line compiler. Assembly language optional (but encouraged).

AstralFire
2009-07-29, 08:05 AM
I'd like to contribute to this conversation by noting I programmed an RPG in TI-BASIC with an animated intro screen. I couldn't get anything to look right in the game because I was using TI BASIC, but damn that was a cool intro screen. Especially for a Calculator.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 08:49 AM
I'd like to contribute to this conversation by noting I programmed an RPG in TI-BASIC with an animated intro screen. I couldn't get anything to look right in the game because I was using TI BASIC, but damn that was a cool intro screen. Especially for a Calculator.

Not exactly a text editor and command-line compiler, but because I've done something similar myself I suppose I can't say you're not a real programmer. :smallwink:

mcv
2009-07-29, 11:30 AM
Save early and often, this advice has been mentioned here quite a few times already. And get an UPS, or, what may be even easier: use a laptop. They have a battery that desktop PCs don't, and that battery does the same for you as an UPS.

But that's not enough. If your work is actually worth anything, make backups!

Lack of backups have ruined businesses. Have you heard the story of how James Wallis of Hogshead Publishing was working on a brilliant rewrite of Empire in Flames, wrapping up all the loose ends of the epic The Enemy Within campaign much better than the original did. It never got published because he didn't back up and his harddisk crashed.

Harddisks can crash. Ask yourself: how much would I lose if I lost this harddisk? If the answer is: more than the value of the harddisk and maybe one or two days' work, then you need to make backups. Online, on a removable harddisk, to a different machine, or just burn the really important stuff on CD/DVD regularly. Whatever you do, make sure you've got a backup.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-29, 11:54 AM
And an important lesson is learned, Ie. save your data every half hour or so.More like every two minutes.

Not going to get into the programmer elitism argument here. wuvs his .NET IDE

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 12:20 PM
Not going to get into the programmer elitism argument here. wuvs his .NET IDE

Too late...you heathen .NET developer and IDE user! :smallamused:

Doc Roc
2009-07-29, 12:49 PM
Hush now, there's a forth implementation in .Net, it can't be all bad.

Telonius
2009-07-29, 01:03 PM
My solution: for most important things, I always write it out hardcopy first, then transcribe to electronic. It's easier to view than Track Changes, it forces me to edit afterwards, and a rogue circuit breaker can't totally destroy an evening's work.

Doc Roc
2009-07-29, 01:04 PM
I write at eight to ten words per minute.

I type fast enough that you can hear the keyboard humming in my living room.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 01:38 PM

Oh it can't, can it?

I write at eight to ten words per minute.

I type fast enough that you can hear the keyboard humming in my living room.

This for me as well, plus the fact that frequent computer use and deliberate handwriting vague-ifying has left my handwriting nigh-undecipherable except by physicians. (Yes, I know vague-ifying isn't a word; when I was taking Spanish classes I tried to make my handwriting illegible so if I forgot whether a verb was supposed to have an 'e', an 'a', or an 'o' I could scribble something and they'd mark it right.)

zarakstan
2009-07-29, 01:43 PM
Yeah there is nothing you can do about that :smallfrown: I've had similar things happen and now I save every 1-2 minutes :smallbiggrin:

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-29, 01:45 PM

I think that sums it up, .NET, a Microsoft programming environment that is not all bad, finally.

Thespianus
2009-07-29, 02:41 PM
Real programmers use a text editor and command-line compiler. Assembly language optional (but encouraged).

Bah, real programmers punches hole in paper with their fingertips and feed them to the card reader by feel...

Thespianus
2009-07-29, 02:58 PM
I think that sums it up, .NET, a Microsoft programming environment that is not all bad, finally.

Yeah, I've tried NetBeans and Eclipse. That's the pinnacle of IDEs right there.. :smallamused:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-29, 03:08 PM
Bah, real programmers punches hole in paper with their fingertips and feed them to the card reader by feel...

Logically impossible. My dad programmed with punch cards when he did compsci stuff, therefore the set of programmers who use punch cards and the set who are real programmers must be mutually exclusive.

Thespianus
2009-07-29, 03:50 PM
Logically impossible. My dad programmed with punch cards when he did compsci stuff, therefore the set of programmers who use punch cards and the set who are real programmers must be mutually exclusive.

You need to read The Story of Mel (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/mel.html). :smallsmile: