PDA

View Full Version : [Idea] Manipulator

Adamas
2009-07-26, 04:21 PM
Yesterday i had an idea about a class, but unfortunatly I have almost no knowledge of D&D rules and mechanics. This lead me to this post here and I hope some of you can find a nice way to stat this out if it appeals to you.

My idea was some kind of mage who manipulates 8 elements in 4 different ways (creation, destruction, change, control). At first he'd only have access to one of each but as he'd get stronger his repetoire would grow.
He'd "cast" by combining a way of manipulation with an element e.g.
creation + fire -> he creates a flame
Destruction + body -> he destroys part of his victims flesh

As for spell grades I'd thought that the cost of the "spell" rises with the amount of the element he uses it would be harder toput a house on fire than to light a candle.

Thanks to everyone who read this and I hope my english isn't too bad for your poor brains.:smallsmile:

Strawman
2009-07-26, 04:36 PM
The class could cast a certain total number of spells per day. None of the spells have a default spell level. Instead, when the caster wants to use a spell, the caster decides which level spell slot to use. The caster would also have a set number of each level of spell slot, just like any other magic user.

There could be a specific description of what each element/way/spell-level combination does.

In total, this would allow for 8X4X9 different spells, or 288 total. This would not be too confusing, as many spells would differ only in scale, not in effect. Really it would just be the 32 different combinations of elements and ways.

Anyway, do you have a list of the eight elements yet, or are you still coming up with those?

Adamas
2009-07-26, 04:44 PM
I think Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Mind, Body And maybe Light& Dark would be fine but I fear Mind & Body could be too strong. Im open to better ideas.

Strawman
2009-07-26, 04:57 PM
I think Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Mind, Body And maybe Light& Dark would be fine but I fear Mind & Body could be too strong. Im open to better ideas.

The individual spells for mind & body could be adjusted so that they are not overpowered. If they can only be used against single targets, even instant brain-death with a save would not be overpowered at level 9.

If the mind & body elements get to be too similar, you could combine them and have a different 8th element; metal.

Adamas
2009-07-26, 05:00 PM
I like your ideas very much. Merging mind and body could be really good and metal is a fine new element that could add some melee to a caster class.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-26, 09:41 PM
I like your ideas very much. Merging mind and body could be really good and metal is a fine new element that could add some melee to a caster class.

Merging body and mind into "being" would be good, since that would encompass things like automata or skeletons (which have an animating force but no "mind" to speak of) and incorporeal undead (who exist without a "body" as such).

Metal could easily fall under earth, and wouldn't add all that much to the elements. I'd suggest "ether" or "spirit" or some other generic magic element; this would allow for things like detecting magic, dispelling magic, crafting items, and so forth. If you don't want something like that, that's fine, but you might want to consider it if you haven't already.

PumpkinEater
2009-07-26, 09:53 PM
Yesterday i had an idea about a class, but unfortunatly I have almost no knowledge of D&D rules and mechanics. This lead me to this post here and I hope some of you can find a nice way to stat this out if it appeals to you.

My idea was some kind of mage who manipulates 8 elements in 4 different ways (creation, destruction, change, control). At first he'd only have access to one of each but as he'd get stronger his repetoire would grow.
He'd "cast" by combining a way of manipulation with an element e.g.
creation + fire -> he creates a flame
Destruction + body -> he destroys part of his victims flesh

As for spell grades I'd thought that the cost of the "spell" rises with the amount of the element he uses it would be harder toput a house on fire than to light a candle.

Thanks to everyone who read this and I hope my english isn't too bad for your poor brains.:smallsmile:

Wow... I had an idea very similar to this like... not long ago. Very odd.
Man, and I thought I was a genius haha.

However, I thought of this in terms of the schools of magic instead of elements. I think your way is better, though.

Voldecanter
2009-07-26, 11:06 PM
For my Novel , which I am taking a break from , and in which I am translating to 3.5 , I too have 8 elements of magic .

Earth
Air
Water
Fire
Spirit
Light
Dark
Power

I took the idea from the Septagram and other occult lore I find interesting , Anyways :

However , for your Class I suggest you look to the PHB 3.5 , Zelda D20 and Warcraft RPG for fonts of inspiration . When looking to incorperate different 'elements of magic' .

But here is some Help I can give you right off the bat :

I suggest you use a Mana or Spell-point System to this (Maybe use 'Element Points' that you can acumilate over time much like a psion gets psionic points per level .) The Point Cost for Each Level of Spell Would be :

Spell Level x 2 +Any Special Effects that you add , Like MetaMagic Feats , the Points for Meta Magic feats would be how many levels the spell level is increased -1 . (Rounded Up to 1 for 0 level Spells) .

Level 1 : Favored [Element] /Restricted Element

Level 2 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 3 : Magical Affinity

Level 4 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 5 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 6 : Magical Affinity

Level 7 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 8 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 9 : Magical Affinity

Level 10 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 11 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 12 : Magical Affinity

Level 13 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 14 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 15 : Magical Affinity

Level 16 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 17 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Level 18 : Magical Affinity

Level 19 : Attuned to [Element]

Level 20 : Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

'Magic Points'

{table=head]Level|Magic Points

1st|
+2|
2nd|
+3|
3rd|
+3|
4th|
+4|
5th|
+4|
6th|
+6|
7th|
+6|
8th|
+8|
9th|
+8|
10th|
+10|
11th|
+10|
12th|
+12|
13th|
+12|
14th|
+12|
15th|
+14|
16th|
+14|
17th|
+14|
18th|
+16|
19th|
+16|
20th|
+16|[/table]

Favoured Element : The 'mage' is more adept at casting spells from this Element .
Benefit : His Spells of this particular Element are effectively -2 magic points to cast (Rounded Down to a minimum of 1) , the Mage also gains +1 magic Points for this element every level he progresses .

Restricted Element : The 'Mage' can no longer can Spells of an opposite Element .
Rules : Choose the Element that is the opposite of you favoured Element , your body can not channel or harness the energies of these types of magics .

Attuned Element : The Mage's Body is now able to harness and channel energies pertaining to this element . When the opposite Element of this Element is opened up to the Mage , the Mage's spells of both Elements are x2 magic points to cast , if he prepares spells of both elements for that day . However , if he only prepares spells of one Element with no opposite Element also prepared he takes no penalty .

Magical Affinity : Choose One Element you Currently have access to : You gain 2 more magical points only useable for that element .

Form of Art (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control) :
The Mage can now add a Form to His Spells so that they can be called into existance to do the bidding of the one who has harnessed their powers .
Rules : Pick An Element , now Pick a Form (Creation , Destruction , Change , Control)

Benefit : The Mage can now Use Spells that are of the Form/Element Spell Lists or have the appropriate Form/Element Descriptor .

Spells : Spells should have Different Descriptors :

Earth(General Spells 'Raw Energy Spells' , Earth/Creation Spells , Earth/ Destruction Spells , Earth/Change Spells and Earth/Control Spells .

Wind(General Spells 'Raw Energy Spells' , Wind/Creation Spells , Wind/Destruction Spells , Wind/Change Spells , Wind/Control Spells .)

And so on and So Forth .....

Element( General Spells'Raw Energy Spells' , Element/Creation , Element/Destruction , Element/Change , Element/Control .)

Now for your Overpowered of one element Concern : Don't Worry it's going to be fine .

Mind : Spells that at their Core Effect Int , Wis , and Cha . They can be divinitation spells for your 'raw energy' cateogry ,(And maybe share water affinities or it tied to the water element, because the water and air elements have been linked to intellectualism and augury in our world...) Spells that BOOST Int , Wis and Cha for creation or give it to animals or creatures or allow the dead to speak or something .... Take those away with destruction ,change them into something more productive for change (Like swap CHA FOR INT , AND SO on and so Forth or Turn Every Wis Bonus into Extra Spell Slots of This Current Spell Level of Spell , but drain your Wisdom Score to fit the appropriate wisdom bonus you have left , but it comes back after those spell slots are used up . and Control the Mental Attributes of others for Control !

Body : Effects CON , STR , and DEX and if you Play with Comliness it also effects Comliness ! Just take inspiration from the above paragraph to guess what you could do with these types of spells with each different form !

That's all I can come up with on the top of my head ....

Mining monk
2009-07-27, 05:18 AM

Mind could be mental spells (Mind Blank, FeebleMinded and the like) Body could be the buffs and Nerfs.

Maybe make a set of "base" powers and alot the players infinite uses / day, and allow them to burn Elepoints to strengthen them?

mikeejimbo
2009-07-27, 06:46 AM
GURPS has a system like this in Thaumatology. It's one of the symbolic magics. You could also look there for inspiration, as Thaumatology is an excellent book.