PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Rogue/Homebrew Paladin build

Shadowbane
2009-07-26, 04:40 PM
So I want to make a character that is a multi-class rogue/Auradin. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109210&highlight=Auradin)

The Auradin is a SAD class. It needs Charisma up the wazzoo, but nothing else.

The character concept is that he is a sort of town policeman by day, and by night he's kinda like Batman, except he simply calls himself Sentinel. He'd would use sneak attack to catch enemies unawares then face them down with his smite evil and other abilities.

He'd be Chaotic Good. (The Auradin's alignment requirement is simply a good alignment.)

That's the concept.

Now how do I make this character effective? He'd be human, and 30th level. Sources you could use would be: Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, All the core books, Complete Champion and Complete Divine, Book of Exalted Deeds, Complete Arcane and Complete Mage.

Thanks. If this is completely unworkable, tell me.

Shadowbane
2009-07-28, 09:51 AM
Can I please get some help with this?

Thorin
2009-07-28, 10:22 AM
Is he going to be a 30th character level or it was a type-o?

If you have in mind a "combat style" it should be a good idea to mention it now. Some general advise that comes to mind:

-You should pick "Devoted inquisitor" from complete adventurer (can daze a foe if you strike him both with sneak attack and smite evil)

-Pick various mobility tricks from complete scoudrel (never underestimate the advantege of positioning yourself in the right place!). "Acrobatic Backstab" really shines here.

-Pick "track" to found and hunt your enemies (totally optional, but good for RP; or take one level-dip into scout (and learn instead "Swift Ambusher" to stack skirmish bonuses from rouge&scout levels)), same goes to "stagering strike" (U HUNT THEM!)

-If you are going to use a "crit-happy" weapon, i would strongly recomend: Improved critical + The feat that triggers sneak attack when you score a critical (can`t find it) + Stance "blood in the water" (is from ToB, and it would be necessary to take 2 feats or 1 level dip in a martial class. The important thing is that IF you score a critical, the effect occurs even if the enemy is inmune to criticals).

PId6
2009-07-28, 10:38 AM
Woah, that's... a very very powerful class. +10d6 on every attack? Just do whatever you can to full-attack to the- er, fullest. And level 30? It's really not that hard to make a workable character under these premises.

You really want to maximize Auradin levels here, since 1/day Miracle is just too good to resist. A basic build of 20 Auradin/10 Rogue is perfectly viable, giving you 10d6 Smite Evil and 5d6 Sneak Attack, as well as perfect BAB. Or, you can get creative and stack Sneak Attacks with classes like Assassin (assuming you can get the alignment restriction lifted; it's thematically appropriate to a vigilante type character). But really, Auradin 20/Rogue 10 works just fine.

With so many bonus dice, you'll want as many attacks as possible, so take the Two Weapon Fighting line of feats. Too bad Tome of Battle isn't allowed, since Time Stands Still would be excellent here, as would some of the Tiger Claw maneuvers. You'll want light weapons to minimize attack penalty, so kukris or shortswords are good. Weapon Finesse is great if you're using light weapons, but one-handed is also an option. You'd take a larger attack penalty, but you're able to Power Attack with them, allowing you to do potentially huge amounts of damage.

For epic feats, Perfect Two Weapon Fighting is a must, and Penetrate Damage Reduction is helpful as well. You should look over some divine feats to make use of your Turn Undead attempts too. Finally, Able Learner is a good feat to take so that you can maximize skills like Hide and Move Silently even sooner, while Nymph's Kiss (Exalted) is awesome for its numerous benefits if you can somehow manage to work it into your backstory.

What stats are you working with here?

Shadowbane
2009-07-28, 11:52 AM
32 point buy.

I'm thinking:

Str-12
Dex-10
Con-14
Int-16
Wis-8
Cha-16

Not finalized yet, technically. I plan on using items like Cloak of Epic charisma, boots of swiftness (for all the skill bonuses, and thematically very appropriate), and a headband of epic intellect to increase his stats. I've got an obscene amount of gold, so I doubt it'll be a problem. His final stats would look something like...

Str-24
Dex-16
Con-26
Int-26
Wis-8 (I'm gonna see how I can get this higher)
Cha-28

I'm no epic character master. T_T Any help?

JeenLeen
2009-07-28, 11:55 AM
Wis-8 (I'm gonna see how I can get this higher)

If you don't want to pay for an amulet of Wisdom, you can get an Ioun Stone of +2 Wisdom (DMG). It's not much of an increase, but it gets you to average.

Shadowbane
2009-07-28, 12:12 PM
That's a good idea. I might just end up springing for an amulet of wisdom though. It depends on what I spend on armor and weapons.

PId6
2009-07-28, 12:15 PM
Hmm, you don't really need that much Int, not with human. And Nymph's Kiss gives you even more skill points if you really want it. If you're planning on going light weapons, 8, 14, 12, 14, 8, 18 can work. If you want a more Power Attacking one-handed build, switch Str and Dex.

Too bad you can't use the Magic Item Compendium's rules for merging magic properties. See if you can get your DM to allow you to merge some items though. Usually, to merge two items that go in the same slot, you take the cheaper item, multiply its cost by 1.5, and add it to the more expensive item. It's not that unbalancing and it lets you have an amulet slot while still using a Periapt of Wisdom.

Shadowbane
2009-07-28, 01:03 PM
That's a good idea, considering the rather obscene amount of gold I have.

...As you can see, I'm trying to get over the gold thing. xD