PDA

View Full Version : A Houserule:Weapon Catagories

oxinabox
2009-07-26, 06:29 PM
So it's always seemed a bit odd that you can be the master of the Glaive but just average with the guirsaime.
So i was thinking weopon catagories.
And if you take a feat based around a weapon you take it for the who catagory.
So that would be Weapon focus, weapon specilisation, Greater focu, greater specilisation, and improved critical.

so the catagories are so:
Twohanded Blades, oneHanded blades, lightblade, Axes, Blunt weapons, polearms, bows, thrown.

Polearm is the biggest category i think, but htat's ralistic, maybe.
you've see the Oots polearm shot (mony python cheese shop) sketch.
ANd allmost all polearms arew similar.
Mayby when i count them up iu'll break it down into slashing polarms and spabing polarms

Currently with overlap i've put into one catragory, so Dagger is in LightBlades, not in throw, undecided about puting shortspear and tridents into thown or or into polearm.

I'm not sure about bastard sword.
Possible i need a rule for weilding longwoirds two handed, and that goes into the two handed blades

DragoonWraith
2009-07-26, 06:33 PM
It seems reasonable that someone proficient with throwing weapons and someone proficient with light blades would both be proficient with daggers, I think. Same with the others.

You could do something like requiring specific training (only that weapon as it is now), or proficiency in one set only gives you that aspect (i.e. one handed weapons proficiency lets you use a bastard sword one-handed proficiently, but if you use both hands you don't get proficiency), but I think those answers have their own shortcomings realistically, and are just annoying to players.

quick_comment
2009-07-26, 06:34 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-26, 06:51 PM
I'm all ready working on this. Well, sorta. I've divided weapons into the following categories:

Fisticuffs, Swords, Axes, Polearms, Lashes, Projectiles, Bludgeons, Hooks, Hybrids, and Improvised.

Thrown is a special ability some of those weapons have. Hybrids are weapons that cannot be classified as a single one (Khopesh, Sling, Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow etc).

Gan The Grey
2009-07-26, 09:33 PM
Check out Quick Comment's link above. Weapon Group feats rock.

oxinabox
2009-07-26, 11:07 PM
weapon group has the right idea.
I think i'll use a differnt set of groupings though.
and the way they handled exotic isn't right at for my feats only version at all.

The thing i really like about this idea is that it'll cross simple martial and exotic.

So a cleric who starts out with only simple weopons.+
and choses to be unique and weild a longspear.
could take weopon focuys longspear.
then when he take a lvl of fighter say, he can upgrade and use ranseurs.

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-27, 04:36 AM
Check out Quick Comment's link above. Weapon Group feats rock.

QFT. I use them in my current campaign and I wish I used them before, too.