PDA

View Full Version : A Random Question Regarding Truespeak

Signmaker
2009-07-26, 09:19 PM
Aside from situations granted by PrCs in the Tome of Magic book, are there ways to substitute a truespeak check for X d20 roll? I find the usage of truespeak for abilities other than utterances amusing.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-26, 09:27 PM
If you mean just using the skill for mundane conversation, then it shouldn't need a check at all. Utterances are specific phrases spoken using specific pronunciation that manipulate the universe's fabric. You can just voluntarily fail the skill check to speak in Truespeak (the end result is that you are saying the words, but not using the right pronunciaction that triggers an utterance).

Signmaker
2009-07-26, 09:31 PM
...not quite. An example would be the abilities of the Disciple of the Word, which is a ToM prestige class, allowing you to burn stunning fist feats to truespeak certain things (making a reflex save, deflecting a melee attack, dispelling a buff, etc).

I'm looking for possible combinations outside of the realm of ToM that might perform similarly with Truespeak.

Eldariel
2009-07-26, 09:34 PM
Well, Exemplar can use any skill check (including Truespeak) for Diplomacy. Not unplausible, mind you, but another use nevertheless.

Signmaker
2009-07-26, 09:42 PM
"I have no idea what he's saying, but the universe seems to be compelling me to want to follow him."

Eldariel
2009-07-26, 09:43 PM
"I have no idea what he's saying, but the universe seems to be compelling me to want to follow him."

Your pronunciation is so perfect people worship you.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-27, 06:05 AM
Well, Exemplar can use any skill check (including Truespeak) for Diplomacy. Not unplausible, mind you, but another use nevertheless.

Which exemplar and in what book?

Dhavaer
2009-07-27, 06:31 AM
Which exemplar and in what book?

The prestige class, in Complete Adventurer.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-27, 07:14 AM
That would work great with a Gestalt Truenamer.
But I'm not so sure how great it would be with a standard truenamer.
A level 1 dip is certainly worth it though.

Signmaker
2009-07-27, 08:28 AM
I don't believe that Skill Mastery applies to truenamers due to the wording involved in a truenaming check. I will admit though, a +4 competence bonus is pretty juicy.