PDA

View Full Version : Custom Avatar?

RoninFrosty
2009-07-27, 03:41 AM
Hello all,

I'm not sure if I'm breaking some sort of procedure here by doing this, but I wasn't sure where to look.

Where can I go to request a custom avatar? I know I see several people "avatar created by..." so and so, I was just wondering if there was an official "request" thread out there somewhere? If not, and if I'm not breaking a rule here, would some kind artiste like to PM me? :D

Icewalker
2009-07-27, 03:42 AM
There is indeed! The Arts and Crafts section, there's a stickied avatar request thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589).

Serpentine
There most certainly is. Stickied thread at the top of the Arts & Crafts forum.

horngeek
Go to the Arts and Craft board. There's a thread that stickied there that you can request avvies in.

And I just got double ninja'd.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-27, 03:43 AM
BAMF (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589)

I'm awesome. :smallcool:
[/vanity]:smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-07-27, 03:43 AM
There is indeed! The Arts and Crafts section, there's a stickied avatar request thread.

True.
And it works very well. I got a custom avatar in just over an hour from when the request was made.
I can't say that all avatar requests will be answered that swiftly, but it's definitely worth a go.

Serpentine
2009-07-27, 03:50 AM
They often aren't. Depends on how many avatarists are online and looking, how many are interested, how many have time, how "inspiring" the idea is, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

thubby
2009-07-27, 03:52 AM
They often aren't. Depends on how many avatarists are online and looking, how many are interested, how many have time, how "inspiring" the idea is, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

had to apply twice for this one, and even then it took a while.

not that it doesn't look great [/humble]

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-27, 03:52 AM
And reference pictures help, we <3 reference pictures.

Not that I have even looked at that thread for aaages. >.>

Serpentine
2009-07-27, 04:01 AM
Oh yes, that always helps if you can manage it. And contrary to popular belief, a vague description with "just use your artistic license!" isn't particularly helpful :smallsigh:

kpenguin
2009-07-27, 04:21 AM
No offense, Serp, but I actually like taking on requests that are light on the details.

Serpentine
2009-07-27, 04:24 AM
Fair enough, then.

"Artistic licence"rs: Proceed!

KuReshtin
2009-07-27, 04:55 AM
Well, in that case, I believe my request was a pretty detailed one.

Original request quoted below:

Hello.

I feel it's time for me to get a personalised avatar since I've been on here for a while now.
I have a few ideas that I'd be grateful if someone could have a go at.

First one, and simplest, would be an avatar of an American Football official.
Preferably throwing a penalty flag. Something like this would be very good.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j99VUrX25a4/Rvxiy5BVsFI/AAAAAAAAAng/FX4JXYCzR6U/s320/referee_throwing_the_penalty.jpg

If it would be possible to give the avatar a kilt at well, that would be absolutely awesome. Not necessary, though.

Thanks in advance.

Guess I wuz lucky, then.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-27, 05:17 AM
Oh yes, that always helps if you can manage it. And contrary to popular belief, a vague description with "just use your artistic license!" isn't particularly helpful :smallsigh:
I must agree here.:smallsigh:

But Aristic Licence'rs, proceed then, as Serp said.

RoninFrosty
2009-07-27, 05:44 AM
Oh wow, thanks guys! :D

Yarram
2009-07-27, 07:43 AM
Hey! I wanna say the same thing as everyone else too!
(Go to the Art's and Craft's Thread.):smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-07-27, 08:31 AM
Also, if you ever get really ambitious, making your own avatar in Inkscape is actually pretty easy. I have zero artistic talent and I managed to pick up Inkscape in just a couple of hours. A few of my avatars have even turned out pretty well. But, hey, asking for an avatar is a great place to start (I had one made by a very kind person for quiet some time, found via that thread)! Anyway, best of luck having an avatarist do your request! :smallbiggrin: